I Love the 90's on VH1

Islander

Jul 23, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟416.00
Faith
Protestant
Has anybody watched this series on VH-1? What did you think of it? I've enjoyed it but there choice in events to mention often disappointed me. Some of that has to do with advertising-segments on Snapple and M&M's wouldn't have been there without the influence of advertising money. Those segments didn't bother me but having segments on movies nobody watched like "Dazed and Confused" and "Reality Bites" and making them sound like the biggest movies of the decade seemed silly. Also many segments that I read would be on the show from TV Guide listings weren't on the show. On the other hand many of the segments were fun reminders of the 90's.

What should they have added in your opinion and what were your favorite segments?

CZzyzx41

Jun 26, 2004
right here
✟957.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I love all of them...I love the 70s is stuff that my parents grew up with, I love the 80s has stuff from my childhood and I love the 90s has stuff from my high school and college years so they're all great. Love the guys they have doing commentary. I'd say for personal reasons 1978, 1984, 1986, 1992-3, 1998 were all my favs so far.

Upvote 0

Islander

Jul 23, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟416.00
Faith
Protestant
I liked I Love the 80's and I Love the 80's Strike Back but I'm too young to get much out of the I Love the 70's. In the 90's I was in my mid teens to mid 20's and also was in high school and college during the time so that's the decade I remember the most. I haven't seen 1998 and 1999 yet but so far 1995 and 1997 are the ones I've liked the most and for opposite reasons. I was busy with college in 1995 so a lot of things in pop culture mentioned in the show were things I was too busy too notice. I liked 1997 because it's the show in which I remembered the most things (Remember that Barbie song that upset Mattel?)

Upvote 0

lucypevensie

Not drinking the kool-aid
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2002
WI
✟1,777,202.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Those 70s, 80s, 90s shows are entertaining and generally fun to watch but I hate all the comments by all those people. Some are genuinely insightful and/or funny but too many are offensive or obnoxious. Needs more content and much less commentary.

Upvote 0

mathias1979

Resident Meteorologist
Nov 7, 2003
Middletown, CT
✟16,488.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I Love the 90's not nearly as good as I Love the 80's. A couple of my gripes:

1) They seemed to spend a lot more time making fun of 90's things than anything else. Kinda reduced most of the stuff they covered to guilty pleasures.

2) Anytime they covered a song or video, you heart about 1 second of the song...the rest of the time they just featured all the personalities singing over the songs in the worst voice they could muster. That got old really fast.

3) They definitely should've waited a few more years before covering the 90's. Yeah, the early 90's are starting to have a feeling of nostalgia associated with them...but the late 90's, well they just happened. In fact, some of the fads, like the Atkins, are still going on! In fact, the Atkins wasn't even big in 1999, it didn't really start growing into a fad until this past year or so.

But still...I taped and watched the series...and it was still enjoyable. One of the reasons I think they feature movies like Dazed and Confused and Reality Bites is because first off, they more likely to have been forgotten by most people than the big blockbusters. Also, those movies were unique and developed big cult followings...really unexpected hits. So yeah, they weren't the biggest movies of the decades...they're just trying to find stuff that they can be like "Do you remember..." and people respond with "Oh yeah...I forgot about that!"

-Matt

Upvote 0

mathias1979

Resident Meteorologist
Nov 7, 2003
Middletown, CT
✟16,488.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
InnerPhyre said:
80s and 70s was cool....but 90s? Come on....When are we gonna get to "I Love Three Days Ago?"
They already do...it's called "Best Week Ever"...it's on Friday nights on VH-1. A bunch of personalities (some of the same ones from I Love the 90's) talk about events the biggest events of the past week.

I got no problem with them doing the 90's...I just really thought they were going to wait a few more years.

-Matt

Upvote 0

DJ B.K.

But I'm Le Tired...
Jun 24, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio
Visit site
✟26,051.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
mathias1979 said:
They already do...it's called "Best Week Ever"...it's on Friday nights on VH-1. A bunch of personalities (some of the same ones from I Love the 90's) talk about events the biggest events of the past week.

I got no problem with them doing the 90's...I just really thought they were going to wait a few more years.

-Matt
that's the show I thought of right away when phyre said that. I like that show. It can be dumb sometimes but sometimes funny as well. I personally like that they did I love the 90's. Sure they should've waited but I liked watching a decade i could relate too. The early 90's were the good ones for me because they were nogastlia. They featured my favorite show as a kid "Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers" :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TriptychR

Investigative Retorter
Jul 3, 2004
Western New York
✟10,728.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wrote a piece about the "I Love the..." series. Hope you don't mind if I post it here. :)

When I started watching VH1’s “I Love the 90s,” I wanted to hit myself over the head with an MC Hammer and wake up knowing 10 years of my life were just some neon-colored nightmare.

As many of you likely know, VH1 was once the channel to turn to when you craved to watch music videos and sister station MTV was too occupied with shoveling ****. But now that MTV has created a separate channel for music videos, MTV2 (the broadcast equivalent of putting the BK Big Fish before the Whopper on the combo menu, if you ask me), VH1 has been free to become the “I Love Everything” channel, airing a line-up of shows that all follow the same basic formula:

1. Take something that happened in history.

2. Have B+-list celebrities make fun of it.

It’s a formula true to my heart, really. When the first of these shows, “I Love the 80s,” aired it was not to be missed by myself or my college friends. The series wasn’t just some simple stroll down Memory Lane; it was a madcap, Blues Brothers-style car chase that busted through the mall of American pop culture experience. When “I Love the 70s” came out it was good, but not quite as popular. My guess is that it’s because the 70s was composed of a pretty garish color palette that, while tolerable on the less advanced TVs of that decade, just made people nauseous and weepy on today’s clearer systems.

I was excited when they announced the arrival of “I Love the 90s” because I thought it would finally give me the chance to play along at home. While I was technically alive during the 80s (born in ’83), most of the things covered on the 80s edition were still far removed from my situation then. I don’t personally remember legwarmers or Menudo. The primary mission of my life back then was not wetting my mat during Kindergarten naptime.

However, as I began to take my couch time traveling I was quickly reminded of one rule of humor: It’s a lot easier to make fun of idiotic events when you weren’t one of the idiots participating in them. What I had imagined to be a fun frolic of reminiscence and witty repartee soon turned into a trial of my past coolness. New Kids on the Block? Had nothing to do with them! Nancy Kerrigan and Tonya Harding? I had known both of them were snot queens the whole time, honest! Beanie Babies? I only had [have] one! Wait, are they on 1998 already? I’m not prepared for this! You know they’re going to do her but haven’t we suffered—ohmigoshtheresheisit’s LEWINSKY! AUGGHHHH!

It’s a whole different game when the Yo-yo Ball is in your court. The same sorta-celebrities whose jabs I had enjoyed so greatly in the 70s and 80s I now took with a little apprehension. I suddenly began to feel some resentment having parts of my own memory being renamed by “Jay and Silent Bob”, although I must admit they are the most realistic ventriloquist act I’ve ever seen. You can’t even tell where Kevin Smith puts his hand up that lanky blonde stoner!

Even so, I have come to forgive them. When it’s all placed in perspective, the series is in innocent fun and the 90210 generation’s turn under the spotlight was well due. Those of us who counted down to the year 2000 with our computers instead of Dick Clark in the underlying hope that the Y2k bug would make them explode (yes, myself included) deserve to be laughed at by 10 year old kids as much as those of us who came after the 80s had the right to laugh at people who bought DeLoreans. It’s all funny in hindsight.

Does this mean that, in some moment of grace, if I were asked to be on “I Love 2000” I would take it up? In a heartbeat, because it would give me the chance to say:

“When I started watching VH1’s ‘I Love the 90s,’ I wanted to hit myself in the head with an MC Hammer…"

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

mandapanda445

Alive for the very first time...
Mar 15, 2004
Sparks, NV
Visit site
✟1,793.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
i loved Reality Bites, it was a good movie, and one of my favorites. i liked it, but i think it was a little too soon. i love the 80s was a lot better, because more time had passed and we could really look back.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Islander

Jul 23, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟416.00
Faith
Protestant
Subtotal said:
I Love the 90s was good, but not as good as the 80s and 70s editions.

It did seem a little too rushed, and they got a lot of the years wrong. But I enjoyed it regardless. I'm all about some nostalgia.
Personally I didn't think it was rushed but that's just my opinion. What years were wrong? I thought some of the years were wrong with tv shows in I Love the 80's but before that series ended and before I saw the same thing in the other series I realized that with tv shows it's not when the show began. Instead they do a segment on the show for a year the show was on and in which they need filler.

My biggest criticism of the show is they didn't mention the Oklahoma City bombing which was too big of an event for them to skip over it. Also the show for 1999 they covered Y2K in the first half of the show and ended the segment with New Years 2000. That should have been the last segment because it seemed silly to me to talk about the end of the year in the middle of the show.

Upvote 0

Nessie

The Prodigal Daughter
Apr 12, 2004
USA
Visit site
✟1,712.00
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Well, I grew up in the 90s, and remember very little from the 80s... just stuff that hung around til the early 90s (Smurfs, koosh balls, etc).... so I liked it. It brought back a lot of memories from my childhood... stuff I completely forgot about, like tomagotchi and music and stuff. Plus, Mo Rocca and Hal Sparks crack me up. I dunno what it is but something about them just makes me laugh.

Upvote 0