Orthodox Christian
Jun 24, 2003
✟7,903.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
gzt said:
First, the Lutherans hold to the Seventh Ecumenical Council, at least, it's in the Book of Concord. Second, we're not allowed to debate in their forum. Third, we really don't have to argue. The people over there can take care of it.

Now that is interesting.

I was Lutheran before becoming Orthodox, but I did not know that (the part about the Seventh Council, I mean).

If I keep on finding out how ignorant I am, how am I to maintain my self-esteem? :)

Upvote 0

MORTANIUS

May 22, 2005
Kitchener
✟960.00
Faith
Lutheran
I'd like to thank the few people that actually offered a defence to the issue and for those that even after being warned of the sensitivity of the issue, still felt it necessary to post (although pointlessly so)

Alexis OCA made one particular comment that made me realize something. I am not interested in considering Orthodoxy anymore thanks to his answer that confirmed my suspicions. I guess I took for granted where I was now. I believe I will be happy in my Church.

Thank you everyone and God Bless.

Upvote 0

sin_vladimirov

Not anymore
Apr 18, 2005
✟1,549.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
MORTANIUS said:
I'd like to thank the few people that actually offered a defence to the issue and for those that even after being warned of the sensitivity of the issue, still felt it necessary to post (although pointlessly so)

Alexis OCA made one particular comment that made me realize something. I am not interested in considering Orthodoxy anymore thanks to his answer that confirmed my suspicions. I guess I took for granted where I was now. I believe I will be happy in my Church.

Be well and prosper!

Thank you for sharing that with us... It was an eyeopener. I am not interested in coming to Canada (not that I ever wanted). I will be happy in my village!
^_^

Upvote 0

Dust and Ashes

wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked
May 4, 2004
Visit site
✟7,946.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
MORTANIUS said:

Well, I'm sorry you are still clinging to your strawman but I do wish you well. You should fit in nicely in most any fundamentalist evangelical church as your prejudice and persistent refusal to see the glaring differences between your allegations of what we believe/practice and what we in fact believe/practice places you squarely in that camp.

Regardless, peace to you and yours.

Forgive me,

Reactions: Alexis OCA
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alexis OCA

Secrecy and Accountability Cannot Co-Exist
Sep 22, 2004
✟2,466.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
MORTANIUS said:

Since I was mentioned here I will respond only to say that what I posted regarding icons and what Mort objected to was taken from the GOA web site...I will post it here for my orthodox brethren to check it's... uhhhhhh....orthodoxy.

This is what I posted:

"Icons occupy a very prominent place in Orthodox worship and theology. The icon is not simply decorative, inspirational, or educational. Most importantly, it signifies the presence of the individual depicted. The icon is like a window which links heaven and earth. When we worship we do so as part of the Church which includes the living and the departed. we never lost contact with those who are with the Lord in glory. This belief is expressed every time one venerates an icon or places a candle before it." (Emphasis mine).

Mort responded with this:

"Exactly! The Icon was taken from being a decorative and inspirational and educational image, to becoming glorified as something divine!

Thank you for confirming my suspicions."

It appears to me that he does not in any way understand, nor does he really want to understand what we believe.

Upvote 0

Maximus

Orthodox Christian
Jun 24, 2003
✟7,903.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I checked out that thread briefly.

It is my impression that Mortanius had an agenda to pursue and he pursued it.

If a genuine inquirer wants information about Orthodoxy, he doesn't usually seek to acquire it by inviting us into a non-Orthodox venue.

Anyone who read Mortanius' OP on that thread could see what was coming: the usual iconoclast *stuff*.

Upvote 0

RedneckAnglican

Once again...the Outsyder...
Feb 5, 2005
San Antonio, Texas
Visit site
✟20,899.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I just want to say that one of my best friends in the whole world who was a Russian Orthodox Priest (who has since passed away) had many of his icons on display in his office...He had one of St. Basil and one of St. Catherine...I don't really know much or understand the "orthodox" faith (or faiths) but I always wanted a St. Basil in my office...to remember my friend...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It appears to me that he does not in any way understand, nor does he really want to understand what we believe.

I agree on the first part, and strongly suspect (and did from the first 'question') that you are correct on the second.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.