NYC
✟15,801.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
After being away from church for years,I have felt the desire to return,but also disagree with some of the churches teachings.I do not agree with the infallibility of the Pope and NFP.I agree with everything else and miss the mass and rituals.However,I have been told by other Catholics that if I return to church I'd be sinning if I received communion.

Reactions: Fantine

Chany

Uncertain Absurdist
Nov 29, 2011
In bed
✟15,379.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't know you personally and what your ideals are, but Papal infallibility is the cornerstone of Roman Catholicism. Rejecting that pretty much rejects the entire thing, as there are denominations without Papal infallibility that hold around the same beliefs the Church do.

However, a good confession will wipe out your sins, as already stated. So, unless there's something you skipped, you should be good.

Were these comments malicious or were they simply stated?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well....as a Catholic you may not always agree but we are required to obey. If you actively go against or promote things that go against Catholic teaching then you shouldn't.

If you disagree yet obey, then you can after confession. You have to confess before returning to communion.

Upvote 0

Brooklyn Knight

On a narrow road but not narrow minded
Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I don't know you personally and what your sins/ideals are, but Papal infallibility is the cornerstone of Roman Catholicism. Rejecting that pretty much rejects the entire thing, as there are denominations without Papal infallibility that hold around the same beliefs the Church do.

Let's be honest, there were some Popes who were anything but saintly.

How many had secret lovers? I think one even had relations with his own mother.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Let's be honest, there were some Popes who were anything but saintly.

How many had secret lovers? I think one even had relations with his own mother.
That has nothing to do with the teachings of the Church or a Pope speaking excathedra.

Upvote 0

Brooklyn Knight

Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
That has nothing to do with the teachings of the Church or a Pope speaking excathedra.

Popes guilty of breaking their celibacy, of incest, of corruption, of needless wars and I'm supposed to lash a blind eye because they sat in the chair of Peter?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Popes guilty of breaking their celibacy, of incest, of corruption, of needless wars and I'm supposed to lash a blind eye because they sat in the chair of Peter?
Yep.

Do you know what excathedra means?

No Pope is infallible as a man.

Which Popes are you referring to?

There were popes that were antipopes that sat in the chair of Peter invalidly.

Upvote 0

whitetiger1

Sep 3, 2011
in front of my computer
✟1,946.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's what you sign up for when you decide to be Catholic, yep.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brooklyn Knight

Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
That's what you sign up for when you decide to be Catholic, yep.

To be head of the Church and to be a moral compass for us Catholics. That I agree with.

If the latter is shaky, I'm questioning my head of the Church.

Upvote 0

Assisi

not a sissy
Sep 7, 2006
Sydney
✟14,280.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't think it's about turning a blind eye. The Pope is supposed to be a good and holy man, not every Pope was. Being the Pope does not excuse inexcusable behaviour!

But I believe the Holy Spirit will (and has) protect thee Church from bad Popes and that the faith will be preserved against the gates of hell.

Upvote 0

Incariol

Apr 22, 2011
✟7,523.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't know you personally and what your ideals are, but Papal infallibility is the cornerstone of Roman Catholicism. Rejecting that pretty much rejects the entire thing, as there are denominations without Papal infallibility that hold around the same beliefs the Church do.

Erm, really? About the cornerstone?

Now therefore you are no more strangers and foreigners; but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and the domestics of God, [20] Built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone" --Ephesians 2:19-20

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tigg

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2007
✟17,774.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I don't think it's about turning a blind eye. The Pope is supposed to be a good and holy man, not every Pope was. Being the Pope does not excuse inexcusable behaviour!

But I believe the Holy Spirit will (and has) protect thee Church from bad Popes and that the faith will be preserved against the gates of hell.

I agree. One of the signs of the truth of the church. The gates of hell shall not prevail. And with some of the Popes behavior, the gates of hell it was and yet, God has protected the Church as His no matter the personal sins of any Pope.

I would suggest to the OP that contact a Priest. Seems sorta funny after a Priest in trouble for not giving communion to a Buddhist was it? lesbian. Maybe any Priest would advise the OP to ask a Bishop perhaps. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
My opinion - take it for what it is.

Go to confession, let go of worrying about the dogma's - do not attack them, do not think about them. Just let the Lord work slowly in you to help you.
Same with NFP - do it - without worrying about it too much.

Jesus said He rather someone say no, but do it - than they say yes and not do it.

Have peace.

Upvote 0

JacktheCatholic

Praise be to Jesus Christ. Now and forever.
Mar 9, 2007
Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟44,388.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As a couple of posts already stated, go to confession. I would call the Church and schedule the first confession so that you can have time to discuss with the priest any concerns and answer any questions. I would not be surprised if you needed at least an hour of his time. After that you will feel better about things and will be on your way.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,704.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I just read your about me, Franny. You sound like a person with a huge heart and many talents.

You sound like the kind of person that any Church would be proud and delighted to have as a member.

And you are so fortunate, spiritually, to live in New York, a place with such a huge Catholic tradition and so many churches---and monasteries, and retreat houses.

Places like Graymoor on Garrison, which has worked for Christian unity for so many years.

Places like Maryknoll, which works with the poor and disenfranchised in this world.

The Passionists, who specialize in retreat ministry (there is a Passionist retreat house in Queens that one of my family members stays at each year).

I think you just talked to the wrong person. The Church needs people like you.

Upvote 0