I have an issue of health on which I need your thoughts.

H

HalupkiMonster

I am a freshmen in college, and have managed to turn the "freshmen fifteen" around, and have lost nearly that much.

Since the summer of my junior year of highschool, I have lost 50 lbs. Much of this was done in the summertime, but some in the winter and spring breaks. I was 310 lbs, and am happy to not only be smaller but healthier. I can wear clothing I wore in middle school, and am very happy.

I struggle. I have 60 lbs. left to lose. Now that I know what works for me, I can start (especially now that I have a month off for Christmas break and the house to myself!)

The thing is, if I do lose my weight and get to my goal weight, I'm worried about what will happen. Already I am getting new and different attention from people, some of which in a romantic sense. I worry that if I am more in line with what the world calls "good looking," I will be more tempted to sin. It's my weight and appearance that have kept me from dating and such, but when I feel I'm "good enough," I don't know if I can trust myself to say no to romantic advances and such from others.

I'm not trying to put forth an excuse to me lazy. My doctor has given me the all-clear. I know that one of my crosses to carry is celibacy, however if I lose more weight things will become even more challenging.

What do you think? Do I keep losing or stop?

I'm going to bring this up with Father tonight.

Ioustinos

Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
✟56,948.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
May the Lord have mercy upon us, dear brother!

Speak with your spiritual Father, as he will have the best guidance since he knows you and your struggles.

That said, I would encourage you to continue to lose weight. I have been in the same situation when I was young - I was overweight most of my youth and once I hit college I lost a substantial amount of weight. As in your case, it was easy to not fall into relational temptation since no one was really interested, that is until I lost weight. Those temptations will come, however I do not regret that they did come for it forced me to demonstrate to myself and to the Lord that I was committed to walking in His statutes.

Was it difficult? Of course, but it is an opportunity to turn to the Lord and find strength in Him - just as it is with any struggle or passion we wrestle against.

I am aware of your personal struggle and I am certain that if and when these temptations come, the Lord will be there to help you and guide you. There is also a responsibility on your part to remain among those who will encourage you in your struggle and refrain from visiting those people and places that would try - whether knowningly or unknowingly - to lead you into the passion that you struggle so greatly against.

Lastly, remember that our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit; they are gifts from our Lord and we must use them wisely. By continuing to lose weight you will be honoring the Lord and you will be healthier. This will aid you in your own struggles - so that you will not be "weak in the flesh" because of your health issues from being overweight - it will allow you to enjoy life and creation more, and it will improve daily living so that the days that previously did not feel so great will feel better just because you feel better physically. This does not mean that you should neglect your spiritual fitness, but the two do go hand in hand.

I hope that my words have encouraged you dear brother. Forgive me for anything I have said that is wrong, as I am only offering my humble advice born from my own journey. You are in my unworthy prayers.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
as much as I might hate to say it, but that is a hurdle that you might have to jump when you get there. losing the weight is good for you overall, and I am sure God would want a healthy you. folks who get in shape who struggle with lust will always have that temptation. prayers for you man!

Upvote 0