• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I had my first panic attack today

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheThirdLink

I am an INFJ.
Sep 26, 2003
Undisclosed
Visit site
✟1,088.00
Faith
Protestant
I had my very first panic attack today, and I felt like I couldn't breathe and my heart wasn't beating properly...it felt strange, like someone was squeezing it really hard, almost too hard. I felt a great deal of anxiety for no reason and I almost went into a madman mode. I became really irritated and I hated everyone and everything around me. I also became terrorized. It went away after two or three hours though.

I wonder how to identify which type of Panic Attack it is.

I already have Biploar Disorder and Manic Depression. Do you think this could be related to any of those? This the first time I've had it along with the mental illnesses, and I'm not medicated. My parents can't afford it. Do you think this "panic attack" is a product of my not being medicated at all and it's getting worse because of that? I was diagnosed on February 2004. I haven't had one pill since then.

:confused:

AudioArtist

AudioArtist
Jul 8, 2003
London
✟5,287.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Engaged
I'll pray for you too.

I find the best way to deal with this stuff is to say to yourself "I'm normal. I have no problems. This is just a medical thing that will pass" over and over. Just concerntrate on Jesus, too. Think positively, even if you're going mad, try your best to think of positive things ahead in the future, and try to keep yourself occupied as much as possible. This helped me.

Upvote 0

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
TheThirdLink said:
I had my very first panic attack today, and I felt like I couldn't breathe and my heart wasn't beating properly...it felt strange, like someone was squeezing it really hard, almost too hard. I felt a great deal of anxiety for no reason and I almost went into a madman mode. I became really irritated and I hated everyone and everything around me. I also became terrorized. It went away after two or three hours though.

I wonder how to identify which type of Panic Attack it is.

I already have Biploar Disorder and Manic Depression. Do you think this could be related to any of those? This the first time I've had it along with the mental illnesses, and I'm not medicated. My parents can't afford it. Do you think this "panic attack" is a product of my not being medicated at all and it's getting worse because of that? I was diagnosed on February 2004. I haven't had one pill since then.

:confused:
I deal with panic attacks also, although I haven't had one for a few months (I did have an emotional breakdown in April, however). To be exact, the paralysis type of attack. More often than not, I would feel my heart start beating irregularly, I would almost hyperventilate, and my body would freeze. I would lose control of my facial functions and basically start whimpering. Most of the time, these attacks happened in the middle of class, and I would end up scaring most everybody in the room. The only way that I ever got through them was to wait them out, unfortunately. Of course, they usually would go away in 30-40 minutes, but leave me exhausted and emotionally drained, unable to feel pretty much everything.

I honestly can't say whether or not it's because of the other illnesses or not, and I can't really say whether or not it's getting worse because you aren't medicated. I was put on medication for a year to stop the attacks, but it also helped a lot of other things that I was going through also (of course, they had me on Paxil, which they say doctors can't prescribe to teens anymore). During the time I was on Paxil, I didn't have any attacks, but I also wasn't being put in the type of situation to spark an attack (every time I had an attack there was a clear spark that set it off).

I would suggest trying to calm down when you feel one coming on by taking deep breaths, possibly excusing yourself to get some fresh air outside, and walking around away from others to try to get a grip and let the anxiety dissipate. Every time I had an attack at school the guidance department always had my mother send me to counseling, but that never really helped. If you're not prone to paralysis-type attacks, walking around and trying to clear your head is probably the best way to deal with it, and the least damaging if someone happens to cross paths with you (if you are prone to paralysis, then it's almost imperative you get away from everybody else immediately; usually once that source of extra panic is gone, the symptoms will go away and you'll calm down faster). Try to imagine yourself in a peaceful setting, or actually sit (or stand, your choice) and look at something you find peaceful to look at. Even though you said it took two to three hours to go away, this way of doing it *might* reduce that time. Just make sure to let the people around you know that sometimes this happens and it's best to let you get some fresh air or whatnot, so that it doesn't become worse in the situation you're already in. Depending on how often these attacks come on, you may not have to frequently do this. My attacks would come on once every few months, so it wasn't very common that they got sparked. It's basically up to your judgement. When you feel one coming on, try to relax yourself as quickly as possible. That's pretty much all I can say.

Reactions: TheThirdLink
Upvote 0

TheThirdLink

I am an INFJ.
Sep 26, 2003
Undisclosed
Visit site
✟1,088.00
Faith
Protestant
Ah, Qyöt27. Don't feel bad about the advice you gave me. It actually helped me. I had another panic attack this morning and I tried what you said and it helped me somewhat. The pain wasn't as hard to bear. You helped me! :clap:

For that, I shall pay you with some blessings. ;) :hug:

Upvote 0

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
TheThirdLink said:
Ah, Qyöt27. Don't feel bad about the advice you gave me. It actually helped me. I had another panic attack this morning and I tried what you said and it helped me somewhat. The pain wasn't as hard to bear. You helped me! :clap:

For that, I shall pay you with some blessings. ;) :hug:
That's great to hear, and thank you very much. :D

Upvote 0

Deamiter

I just follow Christ.
Nov 10, 2003
Visit site
✟25,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I was at my worst, I had panic attacks, though I didn't identify them as such because I had constructed a really weird universe for myself that explained away all the weird stuff in my head (!). Anyway, they usually happened around other people, like Qyot27 said. Getting away was very important to me. I still occasionally have panic attacks when I'm forced to be around others, especailly when I don't want to be there to begin with.

Usually, what helps me most, is a friend who I trust. I often get somebody to hold my hand, even though it feels childish and people look at me funny. I find just this small physical contact with somebody I trust can keep me from totally "going away" or freezing.

Also square breathing can help -- especially if you feel extremely terrified. Breath in for four counts, hold for four counts, breath out for four counts, hold for four counts, and repeat as needed. This actually has a Chemical effect on your brain that is similar to the medications that you could be taking to help avoid the attacks. Breath as slowly as possible, and slow it down if you start out really fast. I often like to count with my hearbeat, as four heartbeats for each step seem to fit perfectly with my oxygen needs when I'm panicing. As I calm down, my heart goes slower, and I breathe slower with it.

Upvote 0

forgivenmuch

christ is the answer
Aug 21, 2004
✟8,874.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
your first anxiety and panic attack is most always the worse.. try to get your mind on something else when you feel it coming on. i know alot about this disorder i had it for yrs. thank God i have learned how to deal with it and know when i feel it coming on.. dont worry so much.. you need peace in your life.. and only God can give it to you.. i will be in prayer for you..

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.