I feel sort of guilty for liking make up so much?

lorelainoah

Jul 15, 2010
✟7,624.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm probably one of the least materialistic people around & I do try to make this world a better place. However I really really really enjoy make up. I have a huge stash of it.

Do you think God would frown upon this? Or is it really just a harmless hobby?

Thanks beautiful ladies!

Trashionista

Jun 10, 2007
The Copacabana
✟9,243.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Liberals
Harmless hobby. And it is truly an art form. IMO, providing you aren't stealing or engaging in crime to feed your habit, it's not a problem.

But if you feel you have too much makeup, maybe try paring down, going on a no or low-buy, or try and use up what you have for a while, then buy more?

Upvote 0

Feileacan

Jul 31, 2010
Aabenraa, Denmark
✟8,692.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
I don't think God would frown on it, as long as you're using it for the right reasons. Make up is temporary, you can take it off at the end of the day so it's not in the same league as irreversible cosmetic surgery.

I'm an artist, so I see make up as another outlet for my creativity. I think as long as you're not wearing it to cover up because you're ashamed or because you're deeply unhappy, it's a form of art, so embrace it! :)

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm probably one of the least materialistic people around & I do try to make this world a better place. However I really really really enjoy make up. I have a huge stash of it.

Thanks beautiful ladies!

I know some people who make a hobby out of makeup, and you could be one of these. They like to collect it, try out new ones, read reviews on it, study applying tips and makeup artists, go toward different brands, and they have a huge stash (as you say.) I don't see why God would mind this hobby above others.

Upvote 0

Trashionista

Jun 10, 2007
The Copacabana
✟9,243.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Liberals
Is it an obsession.. a manifestation of a lack of self-esteem.

Doubtful. I like my face just fine without makeup (apart from some unfortunate dryness/dehydration), but I like to experiment with makeup. I don't think I'm ugly without it by any means, and I didn't get any indication whatsoever that the OP feels ugly or unnattractive without makeup, there.

I don't know. Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but I'm getting the idea that the OP feels like she's spending too much money; on products that don't look that radically different once on the skin. NARS Angelika might look brighter than Chanel Fall's Pink Explosion JC in the pot (I don't know but just going by swatches; they haven't gotten Chanel Fall in my neck of the woods where I'm willing to buy it), but the likelihood is that as cool pinks, they're not going to look that noticeable different to a makeup novice or on the cheeks to a casual observer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoudIndie

Make the stupid people go away
Sep 6, 2010
Im in ur forumz...harshin ur noobz
✟7,630.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm pretty liberal when it comes to religion, but I don't believe God would frown on it. The bottom line is this: makeup makes you feel good, right? Doesn't it make you a little bit more self-confident? Yes? Then go for it, girl! You deserve to feel good about yourself, and however that is accomplished - clothes, makeup, jewelry, etc. - is not a bad thing. If God can love me with my piercings, he can love you with your makeup :D

Upvote 0

SparkyMaddie

Luceat Lux Vestra
Feb 17, 2005
St Louis
✟150,656.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship

Thanks beautiful ladies!

i have alot too and think sometimes when is enough enough lol i share some of my powders and stuff with friends ,we kind of trade and give stuff to our younger sisters ,not mascara! lol you can always send it to me!!:D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rora

Dec 16, 2010
Florida
✟15,292.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Honestly, I think women (myself included) can become crazy about makeup. I see nothing wrong with owning a few products-- moisturizer, foundation, concealer, eye shadow, eyeliner, mascara-- but to spend a lot of money on a lot of makeup I think is wrong. I also think that it's silly to think you NEED makeup to look beautiful.

Not only this, but so many men I know, prefer when women wear less makeup.

With everything I consider a hobby, or something extra I think of this verse: "Everything is permissible"--but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible"--but not everything is constructive.-- 1 Corinth. 10:23.. So, is it okay to buy and use makeup? Yes. Is it beneficial? Probably not. Are there better things you could be doing with your money instead of spending it on unnecessary makeup? Yes. But, free will!

Again, this isn't meant to attack or anything of the sort. Just providing my opinion. :)

Upvote 0

MarisCrane

Dec 22, 2010
✟563.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Liberals
Not only this, but so many men I know, prefer when women wear less makeup.

I hate this argument. I know plenty of men for whom Christina Aguliera, and Dita von Teese do 'it' for. There are enough men signed up on 'altinappropriate content' sites like SuicideGirls and GodsGirls - where the women wear a lot of outlandish, 'alternative' makeup - strong lips, thin brows, lots of eyeliner - to suggest this is not true.

Furthermore, men's idea of 'less' or 'little' makeup is very different to that of women. As Lisa Eldridge notes, men's radar seems to be on for heavy, Snickers' bar looking contouring, heavy base, and a bright red or neon pink lip. But they generally aren't going to dismiss a woman in a neutral, slightly smokey eye, with mild eyeliner.

Upvote 0

Rora

Dec 16, 2010
Florida
✟15,292.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I hate this argument. I know plenty of men for whom Christina Aguliera, and Dita von Teese do 'it' for. There are enough men signed up on 'altinappropriate content' sites like SuicideGirls and GodsGirls - where the women wear a lot of outlandish, 'alternative' makeup - strong lips, thin brows, lots of eyeliner - to suggest this is not true.

Furthermore, men's idea of 'less' or 'little' makeup is very different to that of women. As Lisa Eldridge notes, men's radar seems to be on for heavy, Snickers' bar looking contouring, heavy base, and a bright red or neon pink lip. But they generally aren't going to dismiss a woman in a neutral, slightly smokey eye, with mild eyeliner.

I find it hard to believe that men that frequent those sites are looking at the woman's face... And probably could care less what her makeup looks like.

Sure, light makeup, like the products I listed in my original post- are rarely even noticed by men; it's when you venture too far into the makeup world that calls for men to say they prefer less or no makeup.

To each his own, and you missed the most substantial part of my post- the verse. The mens preference was just an add on to make my fellow women feel good about themselves with or without makeup.

Upvote 0

MarisCrane

Dec 22, 2010
✟563.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Liberals
I find it hard to believe that men that frequent those sites are looking at the woman's face... And probably could care less what her makeup looks like.

Au contraire. The men who search out altinappropriate content sites are attracted to alternative looking females - that includes hairstyle, piercings, body modifications, and makeup. Certainly, if not all men are attracted to fake breasts, that not all men find the same makeup looks or au naturel looks equally attractive?

Sure, light makeup, like the products I listed in my original post- are rarely even noticed by men; it's when you venture too far into the makeup world that calls for men to say they prefer less or no makeup.

I still say I complete disagree. You're generalizing; again, not all men like the same things, nor are all looks equal triggers for men.

To each his own, and you missed the most substantial part of my post- the verse. The mens preference was just an add on to make my fellow women feel good about themselves with or without makeup.

a) Not everyone here is Christian. What a verse claims, is rather unimportant to me when I'm putting on my face. Which I do - like a lot of women - for me, myself and my own enjoyment. Quite frankly, screw what other people think of my lipstick choices. Life's too short.

b) Basing self-esteem and self-acceptance on what men find attractive? That's a great way to bolster self-esteem.

Upvote 0