Visit site
✟36,460.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Liberals
I think people in their 20s have money, it's just that most of them suck at prioritizing where they spend it.

I'd be willing to bet my lunch money that most of the people who spent hours in line last week for the new 3G iPhone were people in their 20s who...

a) Rent
b) Live at home with parents
c) have little to no savings in their retirement account

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟844,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think people in their 20s have money, it's just that most of them suck at prioritizing where they spend it.

I'd be willing to bet my lunch money that most of the people who spent hours in line last week for the new 3G iPhone were people in their 20s who...

a) Rent
You have a point there. I was broke at 20, but there are those who are born into money. I grew up in dire poverty. Food stamps, free school lunch, clothes from the Goodwill, the whole ugly bit. I wasn't any better off while I was rasing my children, but the reason I'm better off now is because I'm with a man who has had the same middle-class career all his adult life, rather than bouncing from one minimum wage job to another one. It's the spoiled rich kids who spend hours in line for a high-tech toy. (We *really* need a rolling eyes smiley!)

On a much lower socioeconomic scale, when I was in college, I was selling plasma twice a week for extra money. Some classmates heard about it, and upon learning that their first visit would pay them $30 (this was in the 1980's) they got all excited. "Thirty dollars! Do you know how much liquor we could buy with that?" Now, I was 24 and already the mother of three daughters, actually pretty old and experienced compared to the typical college freshman. I thought to myself, "It's obvious someone else pays their bills."

Upvote 0

Leanna

Just me
Jul 20, 2004
✟24,278.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
:confused:
If the market researchers were all that wise, they'd realize it's the older ones who have the money. When I was 20 I didn't have so much as a toothpick to my name. Why does advertising cater to a group that is broke, when they should be pandering to a group that can actually spend money to buy the product?

a) Rent

Yup.... most often people in their 20's spend their money on those products but once in the 30's they get smart and realize they don't need or want those products.... :p

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟844,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I had more money to spend on myself when I ws 17 than I do now!! I worked two eve jobs and a sat job and had nothing to spend it on but myself!!
If I'd had that kind of income at 17, I might have spent it on myself too, but I probably wouldn't have been allowed to. I was told not to get a job because it was assumed I couldn't handle both that and school. (My grades were good, so I don't know what that was based on.) And any money that I got for my birthday, from relatives, was taken away from me and spent on bills. That was done in a sneaky way, mind you. "You'd better let me hold your money for you, so you don't lose it. When you want to spend it, ask, and I'll give it to you." Of course, when that time came, I'd get, "Well, I had to spend it on groceries so we wouldn't starve." It got to where my grandmother had to ask my mother, "Now, if I give her this money for her birthday, will you let her keep it?" She did--but then she made me feel guilty for having it.

End of off topic. :sorry:

Upvote 0

Redguard

Make It So, Number One!
Oct 20, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
✟36,460.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Liberals
My younger sister (Nerdguard) just turned 22 last week. She still lives at home with mom and dad.

She just graduated with a dinky degree and works a part-time job. But she has a flat screen tv in her bedroom, stunts in a nicer car than me, and has a Nintendo Wii with just about EVERY accessory available. And her cell phone is nicer than mine!!! :mad:

These firms know what they're doing when they market to the youngins'. They know that most of them are unattached (in terms of spouses, children, mortgages, etc) and that most of them are living at home longer than in the past.

Upvote 0

llghoney

Life is preparation for eternity
May 31, 2005
✟23,925.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah but when the REAL world hits it hits them hard when they realize they can't spend $ on the fun things as often as they could.

I have a cousin who never really worked went to law scool, graduated, & she was talking about how hard it is to work. I was thinking welcome to society!

When I was in my 20's I was out on my own, working, having fun but still struggling. Looking back I think if only I had started my own businesss or invented something where would I be now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TankGirl

I'm normal, it's everyone else who's stiff
Nov 4, 2002
Stroud
Visit site
✟8,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In your 20s, and up to about maybe 35, you're still considered part of a marketable demographic that the makers of "cool" products are interested in hearing from.

And they develop their marketing strategies so that they're geared towards this demographic.

People still think I'm cool, Red ;)

Maybe something like this
or this

:D

You just made me cry laughing...that doggie porthole is the greatest invention I've ever seen! :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Maramixi

Happy caffine addict
Jan 17, 2007
✟8,457.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I'm 21 and I don't get why people worry so much about turning 30. During your 20's you have to somehow manage craming growing up, finishing school, starting a career, getting married, and somehow fit having kids in there! And to top that off, you're probably at least somewhat broke through all this even if you are responsible with your money on ccount of the fact that you're just starting out!

Being a 20something is vastley overrated.

Upvote 0

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Why did I think you were already in your 30's? :sorry: That is so strange, I just noticed your age! I don't really pay attention to people's stats that are listed...lol

He's mature for his age. ;)

Upvote 0