I Don't See Any Other Christian With This Struggle; Is This Normal?

HannahElizaW

God Says It, THAT Settles It!
Feb 11, 2015
Oklahoma, USA
✟16,471.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Over the past few weeks, I haven't been experiencing much of a spiritual high...so to speak. Like when I would wake up I felt every urge and desire to get down on my knees and pray.
Pray pray pray. I'd go to school and God would always be on my mind. If someone sinned I would ache inside. I had a great desire for His Word and to follow it...

....but now...I don't feel much of any strength or desire. I actually had to urge myself into writing. And I often urge myself on my own will to pray or read. Is this a normal behavior? I asked God every moment I got to give me faith and now when I come to the question "should I ask again?" it's just a big fat "ehhhhhh". I don't necessarily feel like praying or reading a lot now. I don't have any emotional strengths like I used to. I remember running to my parents with tears in my eyes crying out "I want to believe" and every urge in my heart (for the most part) wanted to as well...

A waking moment for me was intense spiritual warfare. OCD made a turn in having it seem like thoughts were my own and they were loud and so present. I couldn't turn my mind off of them.

Now, I barely reconcile with my thoughts or OCD. Any thought I disagree with I just turn away from altogether and to some degree...maybe pray about....especially the sadistic sexual OCD that I commonly face...I won't go into anymore detail about that side though...

Is this...slump...a normal behavior for most Christians? I know the term "backsliding" but it feels more like I "I just don't really care as much anymore" kind of feeling. Total desensitization.

I want that high back. I want God to be the most important thing to me but I don't seem to have much of a heavily strong desire or I feel like I don't really mean it. I keep praying for change but I've witnessed not a whole lot.. Is there any advice on this situation?

Reactions: TPeterY
Apr 21, 2015
✟25,183.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I can relate to highs and lows, as I think most, if not all Christians do. Know that even when you feel far away, God is near. I hope you feel better soon, and that these verses help.

Luke:18:1-8 Then He spoke a parable to them, that men always ought to pray and not lose heart,

saying:“There was in a certain city a judge who did not fear God nor regard man. Now there was a widow in that city; and she came to him, saying, ‘Get justice for me from my adversary.’ And he would not for a while; but afterward he said within himself, ‘Though I do not fear God nor regard man, yet because this widow troubles me I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me.’”

Then the Lord said,“Hear what the unjust judge said. And shall God not avenge His own elect who cry out day and night to Him, though He bears long with them? I tell you that He will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will He really find faith on the earth?”

Unlike the judge, God is not indifferent. If an indifferent judge responds to persistence, surely God will respond to persistent prayer. So do not be disheartened despite delay, persist in prayer for God is always willing. Persistence teaches and increases faith, giving us a positive attitude to prayer.

Romans 12:12: rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer

Philippians 4:6-7: Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

2 Corinthians 12:8-10: Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. And He said to me,“My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.”Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Ephesians 6:10-18
Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age,against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2005
✟2,829.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Righteousness of Christ prevents us from ending up in prison where criminal actions are prevented from acting further that would create chaos in the community.
Yet, there is another kind of prison - our earth-born limited minds - where our negative thoughts become terrorist-like, constantly creating destructive and painful feelings, and we tend to find all kinds of positive solutions to end this continuous emotional psychological torture chamber:.
Jesus is actually a supernatural expert in both worlds: crime, war, violence in our global community - the outer world: and every disease and disability on the mind and body - the inner world:
Jesus receives all of our devastating thoughts and feelings even if we have nothing more positive to give him than the Lord's Prayer: 'Our Father who art in heaven, give us this day our daily bread.... bread in a spiritual sense, where Christ's righteousness, intermixed with his abundance of peace and joy, is given supernaturally to us, even with our continuous negative feelings and thoughts that don't seem to disappear in a flash, but they seem to run parallel or alongside Christ's positive abundance of peace and joy - almost ridiculous-like where Jesus is racing alongside Satan to see who will win victory by crossing the finish line:.
Jesus has been future-seen by our Father God Jehovah's eternal omniscient mind who knows victory will be with Jesus Christ and when that happens in his Second Coming, our Christ-transformation with new genius-intelligent minds and measure-perfect bodies of Christ is necessary to end every disease and disability-causing mjnd and body torture, as we become new brothers and sisters of Christ, each individual with the most advanced and construction-safe home accommodation inside the kingdom of God on a new disaster-free paradise Earth.:
Even then, we will know the secrets of the Word of God in great depth and clarity, especially with a clear memory so perfect, it would be impossible to experience forgetfulness, not forgetting any of the many names of our saved brothers and sisters of Christ as we wouldn't know how to forget, 'once it's in there, it isn't necessary to repeat it' .;'*';.

Upvote 0

Architeuthus

Squid
Apr 29, 2015
✟16,006.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Is this...slump...a normal behavior for most Christians? I know the term "backsliding" but it feels more like I "I just don't really care as much anymore" kind of feeling. Total desensitization.

I want that high back. I want God to be the most important thing to me but I don't seem to have much of a heavily strong desire or I feel like I don't really mean it. I keep praying for change but I've witnessed not a whole lot.. Is there any advice on this situation?

It's normal. C.S. Lewis describes this in The Screwtape Letters (imaginary letters from one demon to another, talking about a Christian who they call "the patient"):

"Has no one ever told you about the law of Undulation? Humans are amphibians—half spirit and half animal. As spirits
they belong to the eternal world, but as animals they inhabit time. This means that while their spirit can be directed to an eternal object, their bodies, passions, and imaginations are in continual change, for to be in time means to change. Their nearest approach to constancy, therefore, is undulation—the repeated return to a level from which they repeatedly fall back, a series of troughs and peaks. If you had watched your patient carefully you would have seen this undulation in every department of his life—his interest in his work, his affection for his friends, his physical appetites, all go up and down. As long as he lives on earth periods of emotional and bodily richness and liveliness will
alternate with periods of numbness and poverty."

Praying, singing, and reading the Bible all help with getting through the dry periods.

Last edited:
Reactions: JGHorton
Upvote 0

Hospes

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Arizona
Visit site
✟48,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Over the past few weeks, I haven't been experiencing much of a spiritual high...so to speak. Like when I would wake up I felt every urge and desire to get down on my knees and pray.
Pray pray pray. I'd go to school and God would always be on my mind. If someone sinned I would ache inside. I had a great desire for His Word and to follow it...

....but now...I don't feel much of any strength or desire. I actually had to urge myself into writing. And I often urge myself on my own will to pray or read. Is this a normal behavior? I asked God every moment I got to give me faith and now when I come to the question "should I ask again?" it's just a big fat "ehhhhhh". I don't necessarily feel like praying or reading a lot now. I don't have any emotional strengths like I used to. I remember running to my parents with tears in my eyes crying out "I want to believe" and every urge in my heart (for the most part) wanted to as well...

A waking moment for me was intense spiritual warfare. OCD made a turn in having it seem like thoughts were my own and they were loud and so present. I couldn't turn my mind off of them.

Now, I barely reconcile with my thoughts or OCD. Any thought I disagree with I just turn away from altogether and to some degree...maybe pray about....especially the sadistic sexual OCD that I commonly face...I won't go into anymore detail about that side though...

Hi Hannah.

There are a number of verses about Christians needing to be steadfast, showing endurance and perseverance. (I encourage you to look up these words in a concordance to find the verses.) Implicit in these verses is an understanding that at times it is a fight and struggle to keep ourselves pursuing our Lord. So what you are experiencing is understandable and a call to stiffen your resolve and continue to follow your Lord. Recognize your desperate need for Jesus' grace in your life, tell him he is your only chance of winning the battle, and keep up the good fight. It is worth the struggle.

Upvote 0

Mister_Al

Jun 9, 2005
✟9,656.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
From the way I understand what your asking in your post I'd say your walk with the Lord is pretty much normal at this point. You have to remember that the devil is trying to make you doubt your salvation, and doubt God's word, and even doubt God Himself, and will continue trying to make you doubt from now on. On the other hand, the Holy Spirit is trying at the same time to reveal the truth to you and you are going to be in this tug of war the rest of your life. The more you grow as a Christian, the more complex the devil's lies are going to be. Just remember that God will ALWAYS be with you and He will NEVER forsake you.

Also, remember that if the devil isn't attacking you it's either because he already has you, or you're not a threat to him.

Be Blessed,

Alan

Upvote 0

TPeterY

But seek first the Kingdom of God....
Jan 16, 2014
✟1,583.00
Faith
Christian

Hannah,

Now I know what it is you're going through. I couldn't see this before from reading all your other threads because you spoke so much about your OCD and how you didn't feel like a true Christian. I thought that was your problem.

Let me just let you know, I've went through this also and spoken to other Christians that experienced the same situation. This is all perfectly normal in your growing process. God finally revealed Himself to you and since that time, you've been on a spiritual euphoria. But now that feeling is gone and it's made you feel empty inside, and what followed is a bit of doubt in your mind about yourself.

Here's an illustration to help you understand what's happening with you. Imagine yourself a one-year-old toddler...a cute adorable one too. Daddy (Father God) see you crawling from point A to point B. One day, He decides to come to you, picks up your hands and help you to stand. He slowly teaches you to walk. You feel His presence, His love, His security. You're happy knowing He's with you. After helping you to walk after X amount of days, He decides to take His hands off you and let you walk on your own. Now you don't feel His presence anymore. You don't feel that love or that security you once had. You feel alone.

The fact is, He never left you. He's still there, only this time He's watching you from a distance allowing you to walk on your own and not always rely on Him to hold your hands. Basically, He wants you to grow and be self sufficient in this area. Eventually, He'll teach you about listening and how to hear His voice. This is where many Christians get stranded in their walk and can't get beyond first base, many even give up and backslide, so be attentive of what He tells you to do. How fast and how far you grow as a Christian is all based on how well you listen and follow His voice. We'll cover this another time.

One step at a time.

By the way, just know He's there. John 20:29 (NKJV) Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

Reactions: JGHorton
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We are praying for you. We all need more healing correction.

"Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much." (James 5:16)

I would say not to depend on your own ability to pray, but depend on God :)

Upvote 0

HannahElizaW

Feb 11, 2015
Oklahoma, USA
✟16,471.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Also, remember that if the devil isn't attacking you it's either because he already has you, or you're not a threat to him.
What does it mean if he "has" me? I haven't noticed much of an intense struggle other than little things like "should I read the Word?" And in my mind I hear "oh...you don't wanna do that..."

Upvote 0

HannahElizaW

Feb 11, 2015
Oklahoma, USA
✟16,471.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Let me just let you know, I've went through this also and spoken to other Christians that experienced the same situation. This is all perfectly normal in your growing process.

Thank you for all the help you've given me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sunshine456

Dec 21, 2012
✟11,995.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Could there be a possible interference?" Remember that.....

John 14:6King James Version (KJV)
6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Maybe a relationship with JESUS the son of GOD will help "clap the lights on" if you don't already have one, and offer some enlightenment to the truth. maybe just maybe GOD is requesting you to have a relationship with his son also. Pray for discernment of the truth and if it his will you will receive it.

Stay pure, stay clean, stay steadfast in faith and abstain from that which corrupts as I say again; the enemy the devil is roaring around us like a lion; seeking whom it can devour."

Praise be to GOD the heavenly father and his son lord JESUS CHRIST forever>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Upvote 0

HannahElizaW

Feb 11, 2015
Oklahoma, USA
✟16,471.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Maybe a relationship with JESUS the son of GOD will help "clap the lights on" if you don't already have one, and offer some enlightenment to the truth. maybe just maybe GOD is requesting you to have a relationship with his son also. Pray for discernment of the truth
Tha-...well yeah. I pray for that all the time but now things have reached a slowing point. Back in January I prayed atleast 8-9 times a day throughout my busy day at school and work. Faith and conviction, faith and conviction. I just think I've become desensitized by my lack of witnessing (since God has no fault).

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oh yes there is a "reason" "why" we get down and out. And Sunshine says watch out for how Satan can devour us.

"Be sober, be vigilant, because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour." (1 Peter 5:8)

Worry can devour us . . . eat us alive. So can unforgiveness and bitterness. And "even" boredom and loneliness and feeling like we are on our own > these can eat us alive. And if I am reacting negatively and nastily against someone . . . instead of caring for the person in prayer . . . I am not feeding on love, but being devoured, more or less, I would say.

"'Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.'" (Matthew 11:28-29)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TPeterY

But seek first the Kingdom of God....
Jan 16, 2014
✟1,583.00
Faith
Christian
What does it mean if he "has" me? I haven't noticed much of an intense struggle other than little things like "should I read the Word?" And in my mind I hear "oh...you don't wanna do that..."

I'm answering Hannah's question but the additional information is for everyone's benefit.

Hannah,

The devil is the lion always seeking to devour it's prey, however he mostly targets Jews and Christians. The reason is because Jews are the apple of God's eye and Christians are the apple of Christ's eye. He spend most of his time attacking those trying to be with God. It's why it's good to understand spiritual warfare to keep him off our back by constantly being alert knowing he'll attack whenever we're at our weakest moments.

The devil mostly leaves people alone that are completely carnal following the ways of this world. These people are the one's he has. It's because once they die, they go straight to hell and the devil torments them there. There's a scene from the movie "God's Not Dead" involving a conversation between a son and his elderly mother with dementia. The mother is the Christian and have been righteous all her life but her son is an atheist following the ways of this world, successful, well off and somewhat happy. It's kinda like this scene from the movie.

Matthew 19:24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

The people in this world least likely to ever find God are like this type in the movie. They think they have it all good but once they die, they end up in hell.

Romans 6:16 (NKJV) Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness?

Romans 6:16 (ERV) Surely you know that you become the slaves of whatever you give yourselves to. Anything or anyone you follow will be your master. You can follow sin, or you can obey God. Following sin brings spiritual death, but obeying God makes you right with him.
This just means you "belong" to the power you choose to obey, slaves of the master whom you follow.

Non-Christians that perpetually sin don't immediately die a physical death from their sins, but after their physical death, they also die a spiritual death going to hell. Here, Satan leaves them alone to follow a sinful lifestyle.

Christians that continue to sin will struggle through life. The devil is making life miserable for them trying to get them to renounce their Christianity. While at this same time, God is trying to get them to stop sinning by removing His hand of protection on them that kept the devil away. God is allowing some type of punishing upon them to get them to wake up and stop sinning. It's like any good parent disciplining their child for doing bad things, trying to get them to stop. This is why Christians struggle.

Christians that do good, practice righteousness and avoid sin by listening to Jesus' lead always receive special blessings from God, in addition, His hand of protection that keeps them out of trouble. Some of these special blessings you receive are peace and happiness.

Plus Christ is coming with "eternal" rewards when He returns for everyone that follows Him and does good works.

Revelation 22:12 (NKJV) “And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give to every one according to his work

So for Christians that has been struggling with their lives, now you guys know why. And now you know what to do to change it. Make a list of all the sins you're currently under. Repent and ask for forgiveness, but make sure you make a sincere effort to stop or your troubles won't go away or will return.

You guys know the story about the adulteress in John 8. Jesus forgave her too and told her to go but sin no more.

John 8:10-11 (NKJV)
10 When Jesus had raised Himself up and saw no one but the woman, He said to her, “Woman, where are those accusers of yours? Has no one condemned you?”
11 She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said to her, “Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Ok, if anybody here has said something that triggered OCD thoughts, just ignore them although I'm sure they meant well.

I don't think much is wrong. Your OCD thoughts are just subsiding for now, that's all. It's not that you don't care as much. You're just going through a normal "cool down" period. "Reconciling" your OCD thoughts causes you to think about them more and gives them more fuel to linger in your brain. It's all right to say to yourself, "ok, I'm afraid, but I don't need to be", but afterward a quick prayer you just need to leave the anxiety with God, who knows your heart and your true motives.

For example, I constantly worry that I might somehow be gay (this is an OCD thing, it's hard to explain). Part of it came from sexual confusion and looking at dirty stuff that wasn't quite inappropriate content. I would keep "failing" and feeling like I couldn't be certain about my own sexuality since it involved both men and women. I was so worried about its implications, far more so than the act itself.

Now I'm learning to trust God about that. If he has a godly girlfriend or a wife planned for me who, by some miracle, will understand my struggles and past sexual confusion, then great. But if not, oh well, it doesn't mean that I was just a gay person in denial the whole time.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It is perfectly normal. The transitory and fickle emotional high is no way to gauge your faith anyway. It sets one up for spiritual delusion. Learning to be faithful, despite how you feel, is what most of us have to contend with.

Upvote 0