I dont know what to do with my terrible 2

ShannonMcCatholic

I swallowed a bug
Feb 2, 2004
✟30,743.00
Faith
Catholic
I wanted to ask if sensory issues are hereditary. My husband has sensory issues. I forgot to mention that before.
I don't know if they really know that. I don't think it is outside the realm of possibilities, though.

There are two ends of the sensory disorder spectrum--one where a child feels too much, and thus has sensory overload---and one where a child feels too little, and thus seeks stimulation. ( I learned that from my friend who had a 28 week old preemie who is vision impaired and has a whole host of challenges-but is an amazing little girl. She seeks stimulation--so it looks kind of like hyper-activity, but she is seeking sensory input)

Upvote 0

Anygma

Oct 22, 2006
NB
✟9,426.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I posted that before this happened:
So he went to sleep around 11 p.m which is better than his norm. We were surprised but happy. He went to sleep at 11:30 night before last and 1 a.m or later three nights ago.

However, he woke up crying once and we comforted him and he went back to sleep. Not a half hour later he was up crying again. Hubby decided to let A lay with him. So I said "Good idea" so they laid together and we both thought "This will work for tonight" So hubby asks A "Why do you keep waking up?" and A says "Because my feet hurt and my legs hurt"
SO I tried to rub them (its going on 2 a.m at this point)
And he said not to touch them so I gave him an age appropriate dose of children's Acetaminophen, thinking whatever pain it was could be relieved with that. So I doled it out he took it well and I went to lie down on the couch since my son had my spot in bed but at that point whatever it took to get him back to dream land.

I fell asleep with ease after that this is my husband's account:
A wouldn't sleep. Hubby tried to turn on a baseball game, however A kept cutting up. A started to cry at some point in the late part of the morning so loud that he woke up J. J woke up crying so hubby decided to give him a bottle while mommy slept. He took the whole bottle and went back to sleep. A was still resisting sleep. He didn't go to sleep fully until close to 7 a.m.

Now hubby is asleep and Mommy is awake watching J play a little bit.

Please if you will include my husband in your prayers today. It will be a struggle for him to be okay while I work.

awww, poor A. so is that why he has trouble sleeping on a regular basis? i had a lot of growing pain growing up, it's not fun. it's usually a sign that one is not getting all the nutrition one need to grow. he might need extra calcium/magnesium and a good quality, nutrient dense diet. avoid anything with calcium carbonate though, look for citrate, glycinate or chelated.

acetaminophen might help a bit with the pain temporarily but it will not solve the problem. vitamin D is also very important, it help the body utilize the calcium and is important for good immune system health. cod liver oil has vitamin A and D plus some omega 3 that is good brain food too.

sorry if i go all nutrition on you but with the pain i had growing up and into adulthood, i took a lot of pain killers and nothing really helped until i addressed nutritional needs. teeth are also a good indicator of nutrition status... at my son's age (7) all my teeth had fillings but both my kids have no cavities what so ever and they never used fluoridated toothpaste.

Upvote 0

CruciFixed

Nov 17, 2008
Akron, Ohio
✟6,816.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So my problems will be solved or better when we move out. The reason I say this is because we moved in here because my FIL said he needed us. He kicked out the other people that were here for stealing. We were in our own place for a long time.

Anyway FIL doesn't listen to me when I tell him what he needs to stop giving my son. When I'm working I can't see what's going on over here or prevent it. When I move out no more soda pop is coming into the house, my son is going to have a more balanced diet and a better routine. We have too many outside influences around us right now.

Try as we might we're not going to get the results we want until certain factors are removed. My fil and bil being the two biggest obstacles.

Upvote 0

ShannonMcCatholic

I swallowed a bug
Feb 2, 2004
✟30,743.00
Faith
Catholic
My sleep changed for the better so much with cal/mag citrate!!! And with increased D3.

Lots, and lots and lots of people have Vit. D deficiencies. It would be a good thing to talk to your ped about, too! They can do a blood test to check his levels and advise on supplements.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ShannonMcCatholic

I swallowed a bug
Feb 2, 2004
✟30,743.00
Faith
Catholic
So my problems will be solved or better when we move out. The reason I say this is because we moved in here because my FIL said he needed us. He kicked out the other people that were here for stealing. We were in our own place for a long time.

Anyway FIL doesn't listen to me when I tell him what he needs to stop giving my son. When I'm working I can't see what's going on over here or prevent it. When I move out no more soda pop is coming into the house, my son is going to have a more balanced diet and a better routine. We have too many outside influences around us right now.

Try as we might we're not going to get the results we want until certain factors are removed. My fil and bil being the two biggest obstacles.

((hug)) I couldn't imagine living with my inlaws....
Even outside of that stuff--just the stress level will decrease. YKWIM? But--try to fight the temptation to live for an unknown tomorrow and stay anchored in the present. Do what you can right now, and look forward to the future--but try to stay in the present--like you are--changing what you can, accepting what you cannot, and seeking wisdom to know the difference.

Upvote 0

CruciFixed

Nov 17, 2008
Akron, Ohio
✟6,816.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't know if they really know that. I don't think it is outside the realm of possibilities, though.

There are two ends of the sensory disorder spectrum--one where a child feels too much, and thus has sensory overload---and one where a child feels too little, and thus seeks stimulation. ( I learned that from my friend who had a 28 week old preemie who is vision impaired and has a whole host of challenges-but is an amazing little girl. She seeks stimulation--so it looks kind of like hyper-activity, but she is seeking sensory input)

My husband feels too much so I guess that's not what my son has. My son must not feel too much stuff or too little.

My husband is an insomniac also and has some kind of depression so his is worse than whatever my son is going through.

My sleep changed for the better so much with cal/mag citrate!!! And with increased D3.

Lots, and lots and lots of people have Vit. D deficiencies. It would be a good thing to talk to your ped about, too!

We have a multivitamin gummy we haven't been giving in awhile. I wonder if I should add that.

My father in law keeps giving him pop and sugary stuff all the time. I keep telling him he doesn't need cookies, doesn't need pop, shouldn't have candy stop bringing him buttered popcorn etc and my fil argues me to the ground to where
I just give up because its too much stress.

"Sprite is good for him" "On what planet?" "Its good for him" then my son hearing his gpa argue in his favor whines saying "Papi said its okay Papi said!"

I tell him what we are about to do and if Papi doesn't like it "He's too young to learn the potty." or "Don't brush his teeth they are going to fall out anyway" :doh:

I NEED out of this house because its not normal and there is limited structure even with DH and my efforts.

I am trying really hard to change things here and now but for some reason I feel like throwing in the towel until I can run my own life again.

Upvote 0

Anygma

Oct 22, 2006
NB
✟9,426.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like RLS. In adults you can minimize the pain with cal/mag before bed. I don't know about children, though. Maybe a call into your pediatrician?? If he is in pain, no wonder he can't sleep! Poor kiddo! Hope y'all get naps today!:hug:

yes, restless leg syndrom would respond the same way for kids since it's caused by the same deficiency. even more so that kids are growing fast and need apropriate building blocks to grow. pediatrician might help in appropriate dosage but if he suggest pain killers, smile and nod then walk away.

i find from personal experience that magnesium dosage has to be tweaked to personal need. some do well with a 1:1 ratio but i find 1:2 work better for me as i need more magnesium then most peoples and even with large doses of magnesium my blood levels are low.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I wanted to ask if sensory issues are hereditary. My husband has sensory issues. I forgot to mention that before.

I don't know if they are but I know they are more a secondary issue, they usually come with someting else and that something else can be hereditary.

It's not that ADHD (for example) is a hyperactive disorder. It is a disorder that can (not aways) have a hypo-sensitive element to it. The hypo-sensitive would be a tag along.

The thing is, the brain is so flexible right now, at age 2, he may "grow out of it" so to speak where his development will fall into place...

That is why learning and understanding what to make of it and how to implement sensory integration techniques is nothing harmful.

Folks who want to say, "Don't label them..." but what are you doing by giving them different sensory input or avoiding unpleasant ones? You aren't harming them but helping them adjust. If he grows out of it, fine, if not- you got a jump on it.

There are two types, hypo-sensitive and hyper-sensitive, or a combo of both.

Folks will think hyper- sensitive means to be hyper but it's the opposite. It is getting overload where you can't handle it and withdraw, hide under a table, don't like to be touched, etc.

Hypo is where you can not get enough, so you run, jump, climb, etc to get that input you lack.

Children have to develop their central nervous system and some do naturally as it's meant to be but others have some bumps in the road, but they generally all catch up to each other by the time they start school.

If you think about it, we all have certain input we like and dislike and to each his own... some prefer certain tactical things that feel good, others smoke, and it's the hand to mouth action that is hard to break- smoking is a nicotine action first and foremost but it is also sensory input as well.

Certain things we do aid us in focusing our mind.

We all have our ways to integrate the input, but some children, generally those with neurological issues, have a tougher go at it. Autistic children can have it to a disabling degree.

The Out of Sync Child is a excellent book for every patent who has young children because it just gives you ideas on how to help the brain along in adjusting.

You have a infant and now is the time to give them different experiences and stimuli to help them develop normally because the brain is so, so flexible.

There is another book, The Child with Special Needs by Charles Greenspan and that book is awesome on teaching how to give babies the input they need to developed properly.

The thing is, the time to correct any issue that may exist, is before you even know there is one.

Upvote 0

Anygma

Oct 22, 2006
NB
✟9,426.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My husband feels too much so I guess that's not what my son has. My son must not feel too much stuff or too little.

My husband is an insomniac also and has some kind of depression so his is worse than whatever my son is going through.

We have a multivitamin gummy we haven't been giving in awhile. I wonder if I should add that.

My father in law keeps giving him pop and sugary stuff all the time. I keep telling him he doesn't need cookies, doesn't need pop, shouldn't have candy stop bringing him buttered popcorn etc and my fil argues me to the ground to where

"Sprite is good for him" "On what planet?" "Its good for him" then my son hearing his gpa argue in his favor whines saying "Papi said its okay Papi said!"

I tell him what we are about to do and if Papi doesn't like it "He's too young to learn the potty." or "Don't brush his teeth they are going to fall out anyway" :doh:

I NEED out of this house because its not normal and there is limited structure even with DH and my efforts.

I am trying really hard to change things here and now but for some reason I feel like throwing in the towel until I can run my own life again.

:hug::hug::hug:
i would be very upset too if i couldn't have a say in what my kids eat or don't eat. you probably have more grace then me in baring that cross because i think i would make a few mean remarks.

will keep your situation in my prayers :prayer::hug:

Upvote 0
S

_Shannon_

yes, restless leg syndrom would respond the same way for kids since it's caused by the same deficiency. even more so that kids are growing fast and need apropriate building blocks to grow. pediatrician might help in appropriate dosage but if he suggest pain killers, smile and nod then walk away.

i find from personal experience that magnesium dosage has to be tweaked to personal need. some do well with a 1:1 ratio but i find 1:2 work better for me as i need more magnesium then most peoples and even with large doses of magnesium my blood levels are low.
LOL! Yeah--and while I don't have RLS--I do best with a 2:1 ratio about 1200:600. My stomach can't handle too much more mag when I am not pregnant.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

It's hard when people just don't take you seriously and think your are a nut for believing nutrition and other things matter and make a difference.

At least your battle is with cold drinks. When I lived with the in laws, when my very first was born, brought him home form the hospital, it was cigarette smoke.

My husband entire family (his sisters) saw there was nothing wrong with smoking next to a new born. :doh:

The fights I use to have with my husband becuase he lives in the word where the family was god and he would rather just not upset them.

Well at 6 months old, my son had a asthma attack and they still didnt get it, they blamed it on the cat, not their smoking becuase after all, there was noting wrong with their kids.

It wasn't until years later when they began to have grandchildren, of course then, no one could smoke around their grandchildren... *oh those people*.

I hate to say this, but the one sister who just refused to stop smoking in the house, well years later when she finally had a baby, her daughter has serve asthma and she is not growing out it.

So... she like to talk about Karma, well, what's that about Karma?

Upvote 0
S

_Shannon_

I don't know if they are but I know they are more a secondary issue, they usually come with someting else and that something else can be hereditary.

It's not that ADHD (for example) is a hyperactive disorder. It is a disorder that can (not aways) have a hypo-sensitive element to it. The hypo-sensitive would be a tag along.

The thing is, the brain is so flexible right now, at age 2, he may "grow out of it" so to speak where his development will fall into place...

That is why learning and understanding what to make of it and how to implement sensory integration techniques is nothing harmful.

Folks who want to say, "Don't label them..." but what are you doing by giving them different sensory input or avoiding unpleasant ones? You aren't harming them but helping them adjust. If he grows out of it, fine, if not- you got a jump on it.

There are two types, hypo-sensitive and hyper-sensitive, or a combo of both.

Folks will think hyper- sensitive means to be hyper but it's the opposite. It is getting overload where you can't handle it and withdraw, hide under a table, don't like to be touched, etc.

Hypo is where you can not get enough, so you run, jump, climb, etc to get that input you lack.

Children have to develop their central nervous system and some do naturally as it's meant to be but others have some bumps in the road, but they generally all catch up to each other by the time they start school.

If you think about it, we all have certain input we like and dislike and to each his own... some prefer certain tactical things that feel good, others smoke, and it's the hand to mouth action that is hard to break- smoking is a nicotine action first and foremost but it is also sensory input as well.

Certain things we do aid us in focusing our mind.

We all have our ways to integrate the input, but some children, generally those with neurological issues, have a tougher go at it. Autistic children can have it to a disabling degree.

The Out of Sync Child is a excellent book for every patent who has young children because it just gives you ideas on how to help the brain along in adjusting.

You have a infant and now is the time to give them different experiences and stimuli to help them develop normally because the brain is so, so flexible.

There is another book, The Child with Special Needs by Charles Greenspan and that book is awesome on teaching how to give babies the input they need to developed properly.

The thing is, the time to correct any issue that may exist, is before you even know there is one.
:thumbsup:

And there are things like right/left brain stimulation and neuro-kinetic flow--a fancy way of saying body awareness and making your body do what you want it to be doing.

I think my youngest has spent SO much time crawling before walking as his way to forge left/right brain connection. He is pretty hyper-sensitive (has wailed with every bath and diaper change until just the past two weeks--which interestingly coincide with him finally starting to walk)...and he has spent months crawling and resisting walking. But I think it has been his brain's way of building the neural pathways which for whatever reason were not developed.

Upvote 0

Anygma

Oct 22, 2006
NB
✟9,426.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

insomnia and depression is also affected very much by nutrition. i've had both of those quite bad too. i grew up with chronic depression. what helps with depression is B complex, omega 3 fats and vitamin D3. those can help with sleep and energy levels also. and cutting junk food out. fluctuation in blood sugar levels has an effect on mood and regular physical activity is also said to improve mood and sense of well being.

it would explain why your hubby is not motivated to look for a job. being tired and depressed would make job hunting challenging for anyone.

prayers that your hubby find what works for him to help him feel better :prayer:

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
:thumbsup:

And there are things like right/left brain stimulation and neuro-kinetic flow--a fancy way of saying body awareness and making your body do what you want it to be doing.

The child knowing where he is in relationship to the world around him. That is what makes Autism so mysterious, becuase these children live in a world that we can't imagine and sadly, they missed the boat, so to speak, in their development as infants.

My son, he liked being left alone in his crib, so I left him there becuase I didn't know any better... I thought he was just a "good baby" and when you have three other small children, if he is happy to be left alone, I'm happy to leave him alone.

He even developed a condition call torticollis ... where the muscles stiffen in the neck and if not corrected, the child's face will begin to grow symmetrical.

We had to get him physical therapy and that went fine and I no longer left him in the crib. However, still had no idea this was a warning sign. Still had no idea that him waking up crying for no reason, just after age 1 was another warning sign... He was reaching the milestones but when it came to talking and he acting like he was not listening to us, that is when we realized something was up, around age 2.

So the more awareness about these things, the more we can do away with children being diagnosed... but the old fashioned types will say is it's baloney, secular pop psychology.

But, pathways to the brain.. that is the word I was looking for but could not recall it.

I highly recommend these books for anyone who has infants and toddlers becuase, no one is labeling anyone or looking for something that isn't there... it's just creating pathways to the brain to help your baby/toddler be the best they can be.

It's just enhances children who are typical.

But to think some parents believe in just letting a kid rot in day care or rot in their living room wit little interaction and then when they act up or touch something they shouldn't, just spank them becuase the bible says so... wow.

Too many closed minded people.

Upvote 0

Anygma

Oct 22, 2006
NB
✟9,426.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
LOL! Yeah--and while I don't have RLS--I do best with a 2:1 ratio about 1200:600. My stomach can't handle too much more mag when I am not pregnant.

did you try different forms of mag? i've discovered a powdered citrate mag called Natural Calm, what's nice is, it taste good and you can easily measure smaller doses for kids. for some time i was mixing it with organic gelatin making fun for them to eat :)

oh, i just realized i overlooked one important vitamin in any case... Vitamin C!!! how could i forget that one :confused: it's so important i guess i just take it for granted. i take between 4ooo and 8000 mg each day. i also mixed vitamin C in their natural jello.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Anygma

Oct 22, 2006
NB
✟9,426.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You must have a stomach of steel! That much c would kill me! I take about 2000mg of C--it's all I can do without it tearing my stomach up. Even my probiotics rip my stomach up.

Are you and/or your parents blood type O by chance?

i'm A+ and so is my mom, i'm not sure about my dad, i think it was B or AB. maybe you have an extra sensitive stomach?

i mix my vitamin C with sodium bicarbonate. 1 teaspoon of ascorbic acid powder for 1/4 sodium bicarbonate. makes it much milder and that's mixed in 3 to 4 cups of water. when i'm fighting a cold i try to mix an extra batch. i've always been told to take vitamin C to bowel tolerance... when it loosen bowels, back off a bit. i never, ever found my bowel tolerance of vitamin C.

Upvote 0
S

_Shannon_

I'm o negative... what does it mean to be o?
Lots of times O's have iron stomachs. O is the oldest blood type and best able to assimilate meat and stuff.

A's tend to have more sensitive stomachs-but also respond better to things like supplements.

I am A--and I have a sensitive stomach, but I have a strong O background (my mom and both her parents are/were O)---so I also don't respond well to supplements. I have to tend toward higher dosages of supplements and medications, etc.

Upvote 0

Anygma

Oct 22, 2006
NB
✟9,426.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Lots of times O's have iron stomachs. O is the oldest blood type and best able to assimilate meat and stuff.

A's tend to have more sensitive stomachs-but also respond better to things like supplements.

I am A--and I have a sensitive stomach, but I have a strong O background (my mom and both her parents are/were O)---so I also don't respond well to supplements. I have to tend toward higher dosages of supplements and medications, etc.

hmmm, blood type don't seem to apply to me then. i must be my own type :D

Upvote 0