Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Have you talked with your Christian friends about this? They may be able to tell you more about what it means for them, and where it comes from.

At it's root, being a Christian is about following Jesus. This has several components:
* faith, which involves both understanding what God has done (i.e. beliefs) and trusting him and looking to him for guidance
* the way we behave
* service to others
* worship
* prayer and other devotional activities

You seem to have been attracted by how they act. That's good. The best historical treatment I've seen suggests that the Christian churches in the first centuries expanded precisely for this reason: Christians loved each other and non-Christians in a way that others didn't, and people found that attractive.

But while Jesus considered behavior very important, he expected it to be based on a faith in God, and prayer. It's always hard to judge others by what they write. Talking to you would be a lot better. But from what you write I get the impression that you're seeing their behavior, and how they worship, but maybe missing the trust in God and prayer on which these things are based.

It sounds to me like you've become involved with an evangelical church. Many evangelicals have small groups, prayer meetings and other things, where you could see what is going on with them personally.

Another approach is to ask someone who you trust to guide you. This is a quite normal thing.

But you can also find books that will help you get started. Because I come from a very different tradition from the one I think you're involved in, I'm probably not the best one to recommend something.

I will note one thing: Christians often use a fair amount of "jargon", words with special Christian meanings. I'm sure you've heard people talk about "being born again" and other things like that. These are code words that they all understand but you may not. Maybe that's part of what you're talking about. They ought to be willing to explain it to you. But basically, Jesus wasn't a big one for rules. He thought that the key to living right was to get our motivations right. That means loving God and those around us. For many people this involves a fundamental change in orientation. That's what being born again is.

Of course all the praise that you see comes as a response to what God has done. This typically grows out of reading the Bible, which helps us understand what Jesus did, our personal prayers, and also what others tell us about how God is working in their lives.

I should note that not all Christians react the same way. I'm guessing that your reaction is because you don't quite understand your friends. It is also possible that you simply don't react the same way they do. I come from a tradition that doesn't express those kinds of reactions quite so openly. Members of our congregation care about each other, and about the community. They read the Bible and pray. But they don't feel moved to the same kinds of praise that you'll often see in evangelical churches. We tend to prefer to express our reactions through more traditional worship and music. At some point you might find it useful to get some experience with other types of Christian communities.

I can related on not understanding the Bible. It's a complex document. The New Testament was written to people who understood the Old Testament thoroughly, but it also assumes some common understandings. It can be helpful to read the Bible with guidance. I don't use these, because I got a basic introduction when I was growing up. But these are volumes that will take you through one book. That should at least help you understand what you're reading. There are briefer approaches, such a study Bibles with notes, but I think you'll get more out of a study guide for a single book.
real study guide will do better if you don't have any experience with the Bible. I'd probably start with either Matthew or Luke, and then perhaps Acts or one of Paul's letters.

There are three series that seem to be commonly used: Barklay, MacArthur, and N T Wright. I'd be inclined to pick Wright. Be careful to get the right one. You want something like "Luke for Everyone (New Testament Guides for Everyone)". There's another series with titles like "Luke (N.T. Wright for Everyone Bible Study Guides)". I don't think that's as useful. All three series are available for Kindle, if you like that approach.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Do you believe that Jesus Christ, the one true God in human flesh, died on the cross to forgive your sins, and rose again from the grave? Have you handed your life over to him, renouncing your sins and committed yourself to living according to his teachings and avoiding sin?

Do you have questions about what any of this means?

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Kiravana. If you really want to become a Christian, a follower of Jesus Christ, start by finding out what Jesus wants from us. Read Matthew, chapter 22, verses 35-40. Here Jesus tells a Lawyer: " The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all our hearts, with all our souls, and with all our minds. The second is like it: Love our neighbour as our selves. Then Jesus points out: " On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." What is Jesus telling us? Start by treating all you know and all you meet, whether friends or not friends, treat them as you would love to be treated, kindly and with friendly words, a smile rather than ignoring them, a helping hand, if they need it, or ask for it. God will see our friendly efforts, and God will bless us. God will also know, that we love Him, because we follow His Commandments to love and care.
Jesus will give us His Love and Joy, and the Holy Spirit will give us His Love and Joy, also. Jesus told us to: Ask in prayer, and ye will receive," then thank God and share all Love and Joy with all around us. You will find that Love is very catching, Kiravana, and people will treat you the same.
Ask some Christian friends for some Christian fellowship-meetings, or a good Church you could go to.
Remember what Jesus told us: Love God with all our beings, and love our neighbour as ourselves. In everything you say or do, or are asked to follow, let Love be the deciding factor, am I showing my love to God and my neighbour? God wants our love freely given, and no conditions asked. Love is a Christian`s great weapon, with it we overcome all, and change all for the better. It might take longer, but love will last forever.
There might be times when you stumble, or forget, then ask God to forgive you, and God will forgive you, as you will forgive others. I say this with love, Kiravana. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I usually don't know how to be a Christian either and I've been one my whole life.

I don't think being a Christian is easy, and I don't think it means having all the answers. I don't think it means feeling the right things at the right time.

I think often it means learning to do something even if I don't want to or feel like it. Usually that means forgiving people when I don't particularly feel like it, helping people even when I'd rather be doing something else instead. Learning to find joy, not in myself, but in other people. Learning to see myself in others, especially the people I dislike and disagree with the most.

I don't usually know how to do that.

I don't believe being a Christian means happening to have all the right answers.

I don't believe being a Christian means feeling spiritual.

I do, however, believe being a Christian means the bold attempt to take Jesus seriously.

There's, of course, a number of very religious sounding things I would advise you (things I believe are important), but I don't know if my telling you them will help you. For example, I don't know if you've ever been baptized, but if not then be baptized. That won't solve all your questions, but it's a first step on the road of being a Christian. Receive Communion, it's there for you, for your benefit. Again, that won't answer all your questions, but it's available and for you. Pray, and if you don't know how to pray, then pray this ancient prayer: "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner." Allow yourself to be quiet and allow these words to be on your lips often, allow it to penetrate you (again, it won't solve all your questions, and you probably won't feel anything).

These, of course, are not intended to give easy answers or quick solutions. But rather to point the direction that I believe is the right direction for you to find out for yourself how to be a Christian.

Allow finding out how to be a Christian to be a journey, rather than a set destination. Allow yourself to be open to the adventure of faith. With doubts, questions, joys, sorrows, struggles. Faith shouldn't be clean and tidy, it's messy and complex. Don't be afraid of that messiness. Faith is messy because life is messy.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Excuse me of this is confusing, I am just throwing down words for what I am thinking at the moment.

Growing up, I never heard of religion that much. Once every few years we would go to a church to attend a wedding, funeral, and even the baptism of a few individuals. Beyond these few moments, I was never taught about religion. My family never spoke of it. I guess religion wasn’t that big of a deal in my family, and it still isn’t.

Going in to college, I met a few individuals, who are now my dear and loyal friends, who introduced me to Christianity. Even though I knew the “packaging” of Christianity, I never truly knew it. I still don’t think I do. Anyways – these individuals were not afraid to admit they were Christian. They were proud of it. They followed values that are respectable and honorable, at least in my eyes. This was something new to me, but I saw something in these “Christians” that opened my eyes.

A few weeks later, I went out to the bookstore by myself and looked through the religion section. It was like I felt a calling inside that was saying I wanted to find out more. It was daunting, one might say. I spent hours upon hours looking through the dozens of books available. There were different bibles of all versions, colors, sizes, and patterns. I picked out one, not having any clue what I was supposed to be looking for and purchased it. I bought the King James Version bible. That night I went home and, sitting in my room away from the rest of my family, I began to read it. The next day, I read a bit more. Days and weeks went on.

A little while later, I had asked my friend if I could attend church with her. She had asked me if there were any particular reason why, out of curiosity. I had told her no, I was just interested in seeing what happens at church. Of course, I wanted to see everything. Everything! I wanted to learn as much as possible. I still knew nothing about Christianity. So I went to Church that Sunday and sat through it. It was okay. I was surprised to see people singing the gospel, standing up with their arms in prayer yelling amen. It was all new to me, and I was surprised to see how deep people went into their faith.

Weeks went on, and I was still vigilantly reading my bible and attending church. I was partaking in the singing, and the praying. Something deep inside of me felt this connection like this was where I belonged. It was somewhere that I felt safe, an environment that upheld true values and morals and people of all walks of life came together to share the same belief. Deep inside I had this calling that everything going on was true. I felt like I belonged. But, at the same time, I still felt distant.

Through all of that I came to a sudden realization not too long ago. I read the bible, but understand nothing. I attend church, but have no idea what I am praying for. I feel deep in my heart that Jesus and God are both real, but I feel no connection. I pray everyday, but I always have no clue what to expect. I look at people around me who are so sure of their faith, people who can stand up in church and yell out their love for God, yet I can’t. I surf these forums regularly, and have for a year now, and I feel like I understand almost nothing. I don’t feel any connection. No matter how hard I try, and no matter how hard I pray, I am so lost. I don’t know how to be a Christian.

Kiravana
Read Matt 25:31 and following. That will tell you how to be a Christian.

Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Kiravana, being a Christian is a lifelong path with many things to learn and discover, but there is a general consensus among Bible believers that the road begins with a narrow gate. That gate is faith in the redemptive sacrifice of Jesus Christ.

The Bible teaches us that Jesus was both son of man and Son of God, and that He lived a perfectly righteous (perfectly obedient to God) life... because of these facts, God considers Jesus to be the rightful ruler of all humanity (which is why He is called Christ). Because we are not righteous, every one of us is under God's judgment, and God's judgment for unrightousness (called sin) is death. Jesus, though, was not under God's judgment because of His righteous (sinless) life... He deliberately chose to die on the cross in our place, taking upon Himself the penalty for our sins. God accepted His paying the penalty for our sins, and proved this by raising Jesus from the dead.

The Bible says that if you confess with your mouth that Jesus Christ is the rightful ruler of your life, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved (Romans 10:9-13). This is the narrow gateway to the Christian life.

This is the bottom line: Believe in who Jesus was (both human and Divine, righteous before God, and rightful ruler over mankind) and what He did for you (paid the penalty for your sins and rose again from the dead), confess this openly before others, and God has promised that He will forgive you for all your failures to do His will (both past and future), and you will then have a right relationship with God.

Once you have done this, God also has promised to dwell in Spirit within you; giving you inner strength to do His will, spiritual wisdom guiding you into all truth (especially helping you to understand the Bible), and empowering you with love to serve God and others as you have previously served yourself. For some, this transformation seems to happen immediately, for others it happens slowly over time, but you can trust God to do a mighty work in and through your life if you remain faithful.

God bless you, and I hope this answer was helpful to you.

Mike

Upvote 0