"I came not to call the righteous, but sinners..."

G

GratiaCorpusChristi

If a person thinks they are righteous by their own merit, then the gospel of Jesus Christ cannot call them; they can only be called by the law that will reveal them as sinners and kill the old Adam inside them. In other words:

"If we say we have no sin, then the truth is not in us. But if we confess our sins, God, who is faithful and just, will forgive your sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

Upvote 0

SavedByGraceThruFaith

Aug 24, 2013
✟15,104.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If a person thinks they are righteous by their own merit, then the gospel of Jesus Christ cannot call them; they can only be called by the law that will reveal them as sinners and kill the old Adam inside them. In other words:

"If we say we have no sin, then the truth is not in us. But if we confess our sins, God, who is faithful and just, will forgive your sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

Good insight

Upvote 0

Setyoufree

Mar 2, 2013
Southern USA
✟5,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What does this mean? The context can be found in Matt 9:9-13

Here's how I see Christ's comment (paraphrased):

"I came not to call the self-righteous, but sinners to repentance"

In fact I'll go one more step: Everyone who is lost, in the end, is lost because they were self-righteous and didn't need the righteousness of Christ by faith.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟313,435.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Jesus is hitting the religious people there (The Pharisees, Sadducees) there.

They are actually worse sinners than those who acknowledge themselves to be sinners.

If we go back in their time, we'll find that the Jewish religious leaders contributed to the oppression of the poor and weak. They were no different than ravening wolves.

Jesus only called them "righteous" to easily distinguish them. They are the ones who prayed to be seen by everyone, announced their giving with trumpets, wore certain clothes to appear righteous. But they only seem righteous outside, but inside, they are full of greed for money, and they oppress the weak. They are absolutely worse than those they say to be sinful!

Luke 6:20-26, supports that view.

Righteous - to this world only.... ...But because this world is evil (1 John 5:19, John 7:7). Those who esteemed and honored in this world are wicked themselves. And those who are chosen by Jesus would be hated by everyone (John 15:19)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Setyoufree. Jesus came to call the sinners, those who believe they are well in their righteousness, might think they do not need Him.
In Matthew 22: 35-40: Jesus tells a Lawyer: " The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: Love thy neighbour as thyself." Jesus points out: " On these two Commandments hang all the Law and all the Prophets."
Love is very much wanted by our Heavenly Father, freely given and No conditions tagged on. A good way to prove our love is by treating all we know and all we meet, treat them as we would love to be treated: kindly and always with friendly words. God Loves us all, and we are all made in God`s image. In Matthew 7: 7-10: we ask God for Love and Joy, then we thank God, and share all Love and Joy with our neighbour: all around us. God will see our sincere loving efforts, and God will approve and Bless us. We keep asking and receiving, then thanking God and sharing all Love and Joy with our neighbour. We might stumble or forget at times, but then we ask God to forgive us, and carry on loving and caring.
The Bible tells us to " Repent," and to "Be Born Again," We change from being selfish and unloving, to being loving and caring, taking notice of people around us. We will find that people will treat us the same as we treat people, Love is very catching. We do this day after day, and gradually we will change into the men and women, which God wants us to become. Jesus our Saviour will help and guide us, JESUS IS THE WAY. Jesus Loves us all, whether sinner or righteous. I say this with love, Setyoufree. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

One isn't righteous without Jesus. Once one has accepted Jesus as their Lord, they're righteous in Jesus. Thus a Christian can say they're righteous and be correct. If one is practicing a lifestyle of sin they're not a Christian according to what I read in my Bible.

The righteousness God requires doesn't come by the law, but self righteousness does. Some confuse the 2 or don't understand what God requires.

Upvote 0