Country
Comoros
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Hello everyone. I was born again on 10/1/95 and am simply unsure what I believe and what is right and true. There are so many man made theories and so many interpretations of the Bible. I pretty much did the "word of faith" thing in the 90s and got frustrated and walked away from God. I am now coming back to God and just do not know what to believe and what is truth. So many demonanations. I am interested in practical teachings that matter in everyday life and something you can use. I do not care about "end times teachings"....as it is gonna happen no matter what we believe. I do not think "word of faith" is right because I gave lots of money and am still broke and living on SSI. I am still legally blind after all that prayer and healing meetings. I do not believe God to be a liar, so something must be wrong with mans teaching of the truth.
I know that God's word is the ultimate truth, but even as I read it (not knowing any better)....I still have my version of what God is saying or what He means by a certain verse. I mean...."how am I to know without a teacher"? Thank you for your help and advice and guidance. :)

golgotha61

World Christian in Progress
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2011
Ohio
✟79,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello everyone. I was born again on 10/1/95 and am simply unsure what I believe and what is right and true. There are so many man made theories and so many interpretations of the Bible. I still have my version of what God is saying or what He means by a certain verse. I mean...."how am I to know without a teacher"? Thank you for your help and advice and guidance. :)

I think it is important to be able to interpret the Word of God for ourselves and not rely on other's opinions all the time. It is certainly helpful to get the insights of grounded believers but we all must be able to study for ourselves, after all it is a personal relationship with Christ and so we must be able to have that relationship and not use a surrogate. I have a method of study that helps me and I suggest you use a Bible that is not too heavy on modern language and liberal in its translations. I recommend King James, New King James for the actual study, you can use other Bibles for general understanding.

Bible study includes three approaches (1) Observation, (2) Interpretation, (3) Application.

Broken down further
Observation includes these questions to asked of the text: (1) Who are the people in the text.
(2) What is happening in the text? What are the events? In what order? What happens to the characters? If it is a passage that argues a point: What is the argument? What is the point? What is the writer trying to communicate?
(3) When did the events take place? When did they occur in relation to other events in Scripture? When was the writer writing?

(4) Where is the narrative taking place? Where are the people in the story? Where are they coming from? Where are they going? Where is the writer? Where were the original readers in the text?

(5) Why is this included? Why is it place here? Why does this follow that? Why does this precede that? Why does this person say that? Why does this person say nothing? There are many why’s.

(6)Wherefore – What difference would it make if I applied this truth?

Six things to look for in each of the headings Who, What, When, Where, Why, and Wherefore: Things that are Emphasized, Repeated, Related, Alike, Unalike, True to Life.
Emphasized- Amount of space taken, stated purpose, what order the material place in the text, movement from lesser to greater or visa versa.
Repeated- Terms, phrases, clauses, character, incidents, circumstances, patterns, and New Testament use of Old Testament passages.
Related – Movement from general to specific, questions and answers, cause and effect.
Alike – Similes, Metaphors.
Unalike – Use of “but”, metaphors, irony.
True to Life – What does the passage tell you about reality? How does the text resonate with your experience?

Five Keys to Interpretation:
Content – Raw material.
Context – Literary, Historical, Cultural, Geographic, and Theological.
Comparison – Sola Scriptura = Scripture alone is our final authority. Compare scripture with scripture.
Culture – What was the culture like at the time of the writing and for the hearers?
Consultation – Concordances, Bible Dictionaries, Atlases, Bible handbooks, and Commentaries. Remember that commentaries are someone else’s views and that will change from commentary to commentary regarding some verses.

Four steps of Application:
Step (1) Know the text and yourself.
(2) Relate it to our experience.
(3) Meditate on what you have learned.
(4) Practice the truth.

Proper application requires accurate interpretation.

Upvote 0

s1mp13m4n

Mar 9, 2011
Both
✟9,107.00
Country
Comoros
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Thank you for this great advice. At my local church the pastor teaches something called the SOAP method of Bible study. Now it is not for going deep....it is for your daily time you spend with God. While reading the daily Bible reading plan you do this:

S= scripture (write out a verse or two from your reading)
O= observation (what is that verse saying to you, what does it mean?)
A= application (how you can apply this to your daily life in a practical way)
P= prayer (pray about what you read and ask God to reveal His truth to you)

Now I go to a church that has Baptist in its name but it is somewhere in the middle...not to conservative and not to out there. They pray for healing but do it without all the show...tongues...and falling on the floor for example.

Upvote 0

jehoiakim

Servant
Jun 24, 2011
New Jersey
✟17,202.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
There are no easier answers brother, my theology is a mish mash of a fair amount of things but I have been in the faith a while and experienced a lot. You might just have to try learning about a lot of things with an open mind, but don't leave your mind so open that your brain falls out:)... question everything, just like the Bereans did and Paul praised them for it.

Suggestion, you might want to start with a bible doctrine book, one that is pretty standard like Wayne Grudhem or something along those lines... then maybe if something stands out in your mind an answer you don't like or uncomfortable with it, start to ask yourself why, look at alternative theologies compare and contrast. Just remember you don't have to come up with an answer on every issue, none of us can possibly have perfect theology we are faulted men. If you have specific questions or specific theologies you have questions/concerns about it would be a lot easier to make some suggestions, but based on what you said that is all I can offer up to you know.

Peace and blessings brother, I will be praying for you as soon as I finish posting this response...

-Jesse

Upvote 0

jehoiakim

Servant
Jun 24, 2011
New Jersey
✟17,202.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
...WHAT AM I SAYING.... DUH... don't forget to do some serious prayer! and always measure every aspect against the word, look for things in scripture that might contradict what you are thinking, analyze them and see if you can peace them together to paint a clearer picture. You have to be honest with yourself though, if you are not honest with yourself you are only going to find a partial answer not the truth you need. examine your motives and your heart throughout the entire process....

okay I think I am done now:)

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello everyone. I was born again on 10/1/95 and am simply unsure what I believe and what is right and true. There are so many man made theories and so many interpretations of the Bible. I pretty much did the "word of faith" thing in the 90s and got frustrated and walked away from God. I am now coming back to God and just do not know what to believe and what is truth. So many demonanations. I am interested in practical teachings that matter in everyday life and something you can use. I do not care about "end times teachings"....as it is gonna happen no matter what we believe. I do not think "word of faith" is right because I gave lots of money and am still broke and living on SSI. I am still legally blind after all that prayer and healing meetings. I do not believe God to be a liar, so something must be wrong with mans teaching of the truth.
I know that God's word is the ultimate truth, but even as I read it (not knowing any better)....I still have my version of what God is saying or what He means by a certain verse. I mean...."how am I to know without a teacher"? Thank you for your help and advice and guidance. :)

What sort of pratical teachings are you looking for?

Upvote 0

jehoiakim

Servant
Jun 24, 2011
New Jersey
✟17,202.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
you have to watch out with practical faith because it can almost become too much of a new age self help thing which is a totally warped view of what it should be... certainly the bible will ofter some practical things, but that is more of a side effect or a symptom... the practical is meaningless unless you can get your theology straight, the practical can serve as a dangerous distraction and morph into a giant ball of meaningless fluff if your not careful

Upvote 0

s1mp13m4n

Mar 9, 2011
Both
✟9,107.00
Country
Comoros
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
It is funny you should mention meaningless fluff. LOL That is how I started to feel about "word of faith"....meaning that I tried all that stuff they teach....give offerings, claim your healing, give me money and God will make your debt free, etc.....and you know what....I filed bankruptcy, am still legally blind, and I gave away money to TV ministries that I wish I could have back. LOL :)
As far as practical lessons....I am not really sure. What I mean is things you can apply to my marriage, being a Godly parent, being a Godly son to my parents.......not deep teaching such as what all the stuff means from the Tabernacle Of Mosses.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jehoiakim

Servant
Jun 24, 2011
New Jersey
✟17,202.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
yeah I think the word of faith thing is not only wrong, it is very dangerous and I am sorry to hear how it brought chaos to your life. After all that I think it is quite a miracle that you are willing to give it all another shot.
I think if you are looking for answers to questions like that you have to get a bit more personal there are books and books written on how to improve your marriage, for instance "Love and Respect" it is a great one I highly reccommend. It is the only one I felt actually portrayed the masculine side fairly. Are there more specific circumstances you need advice on?

Upvote 0

jehoiakim

Servant
Jun 24, 2011
New Jersey
✟17,202.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
yeah sometimes just sticking to the word itself is better, why go to someones intepretation of applying God's word when you can go straight to the source... not that those books don't have a place, they do. Alot of Christs words are very practical, so are a lot of Pauls letters... and James, James is a short read and probably my favorite book, maybe you should just start there, it's pretty plain to understand and very practical

Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I was a WoFer as well, for well over a decade. I've seen many people walk away from Christianity because their teachings shipwreck the faith of people who don't know any better.

Personally, I had to do what refer to as a "reboot". I couldn't even read the scriptures without running it through the WoF teachings filter. I scrapped everything but the gospel of salvation, and even that needed re-examining to ensure I understood it properly. I seperated myself from all WoF teachers for years and didn't accept what other teachers said until I could comfirm it in the scriptures, clearly and contextually.

You may want to consider a similar approach. Seek God's forgivness for following those teachers. Throw their books away, delete the browser links, turn off their TV programs, and read the scripture on its own, concentrating on context and the attributes concerning the nature and actions of God in each circumstance, and a simple but consistent prayer life, asking God for wisdom to understand His word, and just start over building on a foundation of stone this time.

Upvote 0

s1mp13m4n

Mar 9, 2011
Both
✟9,107.00
Country
Comoros
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Thank you for the help. I am gonna go to bed now and listen to my audiobook. Have a great night....and keep the ideas coming.

Yes you are right. I too feel the same way...no more TBN. I just want God....if you have that, then all the other things will be added. I enjoy my church....it is nothing special, and not to small yet not a mega church. It is what I do with God on a daily basis that matters. I walked away from God and church because of Word Of Faith for ten years. I am now coming back to Him....looking for Him, and wanting to learn the basics all over again. I still do not understand grace, forgiveness, and mercy. Yet because of WOF I know to pray in tongues, what to say when I lay hands on people, and even how to fake falling out in the spirit to make the pastor happy. LOL :) Hey, I gotta laugh at my mistake and move on. LOL

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear s1mp13m4n. In Matthew, chapter 22, verses 35-40, Jesus tells a Lawyer: " The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: Love thy neighbour as thyself." Then Jesus makes this statement: " On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." Love is what God wants from us, selfless and no conditions asked. Jesus will give us His Love and Joy, and the Holy Spirit will give us His Love, too. Jesus told us to: " ask and ye will receive," we then thank God and share all Love and Joy with our neighbour. ( Who is our neighbour?) All others, friends and not friends. How do we share all Love and Joy? We treat all we know and all we meet as we would love to be treated: friendly and encouraging looks and words, helpful hands and attitudes, and forgiveness as we would love to be forgiven. God sees our sincere efforts and approves and blesses us, And God will know that we love Him ( God) by following His Commandments to love our neighbour. Everything we do, or say, should be from love and kindness. It will not be easy to start, but we will find that Love and Kindness will soon become our second nature. Love is very catching and very strong, love will overcome all enmity and dislike. AND with God on our side, who or what can be against us? God is Love, and God wants loving children, sons/and daughters. Jesus is waiting to help and guide us, and Jesus is our Saviour and The Way back to where we came from. I say this with love. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

s1mp13m4n

Mar 9, 2011
Both
✟9,107.00
Country
Comoros
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I went to the page linked above and I watched a few of the testamonies and enjoyed them. I also downloaded the free ebook and am almost done reading it. The book is very helpful in helping me to understand and unlearn some bad habits from my WOF days. Now I have another question, as I consider myself coming back to God, which Bible should I read? I was never a big fan of the KJV as we just do not talk that way anymore. I have been reading The Message but am concerned that it may not be accurate for reading. I am talking about a Bible for my daily reading time....not for Bible study right now.

Upvote 0

Iakobos

Aug 15, 2011
✟15,181.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private

Sounds like you were conned. Must have been a terrible experience.

Upvote 0

s1mp13m4n

Mar 9, 2011
Both
✟9,107.00
Country
Comoros
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Yes, I was conned. I followed WOF to the T so to speak...heck my Sunday school classes in the 90s were from E.W Kenyon books....the father of the movement. I went to several Benny Hinn meetings and never got healed even though I did whta he said to do to get God to "move". All of that is behind me now and I desire to learn from it and chalk it up to experience. Maybe I can help someone else someday to keep them from making the same mistakes I did. Heck I threw away my entire CD collection because I was told my music was sinful....back in the 90s.

Reactions: Zoooma
Upvote 0