Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
By "route" I mean the entire surface of the Lewis Overthrust.

Montana is 600+ miles long. Its entire northern belt is disturbed. The Lewis Overthrust is by your own estimate 40-130 miles long. For a 40-130-mile-long structure to disturb an entire belt roughly 600 miles long sounds like enough damage to me. Now can you show me a single place along the Lewis Overthrust where there is evidence that no grinding occurred?

laptoppop said:
But let me ask you then -- how DID the layers form? How are critters encapsulated so that they fossilize and not decay?

I believe the question is between local and global floods, not between floods and ???? With a local flood you have an additional problem -- that of dissolving the material in question sufficiently to make the deposits.

Long-term deposition would not result in fossils, and would not explain the purity of separation either.

No way! Laptoppop, did you forget everything that transpired around post #26. Do you want me to go through that again?

Ediacara: Deep turbidite and shallow slow deposition.
Maotianshan: Shallow sea with muddy bottom.
Emu Bay: Shallow water deposition.
Sirius Passet: Deep-sea deposition.
House Range: Deep-sea sediments punctuated by landslides.
Burgess Shale: Ditto.
Orsten: Anoxic deep-sea shore.
Soom Shale: Laminated silts and muds atop tillite.
Wenlock series: Fine-grained marine muds interspersed with ash.
Rhynie Chert: Rising of silica-rich water (volcanic associations) causing instant petrification.
Hunsruck Slates: Rapid burial in sediments with low organic content.
Canowindra: Drying out of a lake.
Bear Gulch Limestone: Fossilization during anoxic intervals interspersed with worm burrows during non-anoxic intervals, in arid climate (gypsum formation).
Mazon Creek: Rapid sedimentary burial with siderite concretions.
Hamilton Quarry: Interbedded laminated mudstones and limestones.
Ghost Ranch: Flood hurls Coelophysis into pool and kills them.
La-Voulte-Sur-Rhone: Low energy marine basin.
Solnhofen: Salinity stratification due to high evaporation rates.
Yixian: Still lake sediments punctuated by volcanic ash.
Santana and Crato: widely varying sediments separated by evaporites.
Xiagou: Tranquil lake deposition with varves.
Auca Mahuevo: Undisturbed floodplains.
Green River Formation: Varves!
Monte Bolca: Mudstone with well-preserved fossils interspersed by less rich limestones.
Messel Pit: Lake deposition with extreme stratification leading to extremely anoxic bottom conditions.
London Clay: Inconclusive.

That, laptoppop, is how fossils are formed - anoxic preservation. Whoever told you that geologists frequently attribute fossils to flooding was lying to you. (I hate having to use such a strong word but I'm not holding back any punches.) Geologists know what flooding looks like and know when to attribute fossils to it, as in the case of the Hunsruck Slates and Ghost Ranch. But they know how to look for signs of a flood and know when the signs of a flood are not there, and then can find signs of alternative mechanisms to attribute it to.

Fossil deposition does not require floods of any kind!

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
This conversation has led me to wonder just how geologists determine when an area is flooded and when it is simply under water.

For example, IIRC, much of what is now the continental U.S. was once the bed of a shallow sea, and that continued for a long time. Only fairly recently, geologically speaking, did it rise above sea level and turn into dry land.

YECs like to attribute the marine fossiliferous layers in this area to the Noachian flood. But it strikes me that it would be as erroneous to call the long-standing shallow sea that used to exist there a "flood" as to say the Atlantic ocean is a "flood".

Speaking of the Atlantic, we have the opposite situation in the case of the Mediterranean Sea. Apparently the Mediterranean Basin was once dry land, until something occurred that allowed the waters of the Atlantic to enter it. Now at the moment the Atlantic waters started to flow into the basin, I can see speaking of the area being flooded. But would we still call the Mediterranean Sea a flood today? It seems to me than any deposition occurring in the Mediterranean today would not have the characteristics of flood deposition.

So what are some of the characteristics that distinguish a flood from a sea? How do we know, when we find marine fossils or marine depositions in what is now dry land whether the land was flooded or was, for a considerable time, the bottom of a sea?

Upvote 0

Mallon

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
✟22,892.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I feel like I'm repeating myself over and over.
That's because you are. We ask you for specific answers to specific questions regarding the fossil record, and you respond with some amorphous argument that everything in the fossil record can be explained as a result of the Flood because it was sooo "complex".
It may be too challenging for you to accept the ramifications.
Meh. If your science is so good and well-founded, then it's only a matter of time before it is taught in geology class, usurping 200+ years of careful and laborious research by thousands of geologists. Until then, I'll do my work within an established, proven paradigm. I cannot fathom how the work I am doing now -- investigating resource partitioning among sympatric herbivorous dinosaurs of the Late Cretaceous -- would be impacted if I had to include competing species like cows, horses, elephants, giraffes, and other ungulates. But if you're right, then again it should just be a matter of time before they are discovered in Dinosaur Provincial Park just east of here.

Upvote 0

laptoppop

Servant of the living God
May 19, 2006
Southern California
✟23,920.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ediacara: Deep turbidite and shallow slow deposition.
Maotianshan: Shallow sea with muddy bottom.
Emu Bay: Shallow water deposition.
Sirius Passet: Deep-sea deposition.
House Range: Deep-sea sediments punctuated by landslides.
Burgess Shale: Ditto.
Orsten: Anoxic deep-sea shore.
Soom Shale: Laminated silts and muds atop tillite.
Wenlock series: Fine-grained marine muds interspersed with ash.
Rhynie Chert: Rising of silica-rich water (volcanic associations) causing instant petrification.
Hunsruck Slates: Rapid burial in sediments with low organic content.
Canowindra: Drying out of a lake.
Bear Gulch Limestone: Fossilization during anoxic intervals interspersed with worm burrows during non-anoxic intervals, in arid climate (gypsum formation).
Mazon Creek: Rapid sedimentary burial with siderite concretions.
Hamilton Quarry: Interbedded laminated mudstones and limestones.
Ghost Ranch: Flood hurls Coelophysis into pool and kills them.
La-Voulte-Sur-Rhone: Low energy marine basin.
Solnhofen: Salinity stratification due to high evaporation rates.
Yixian: Still lake sediments punctuated by volcanic ash.
Santana and Crato: widely varying sediments separated by evaporites.
Xiagou: Tranquil lake deposition with varves.
Auca Mahuevo: Undisturbed floodplains.
Green River Formation: Varves!
Monte Bolca: Mudstone with well-preserved fossils interspersed by less rich limestones.
Messel Pit: Lake deposition with extreme stratification leading to extremely anoxic bottom conditions.
London Clay: Inconclusive.

That, laptoppop, is how fossils are formed - anoxic preservation. Whoever told you that geologists frequently attribute fossils to flooding was lying to you. (I hate having to use such a strong word but I'm not holding back any punches.) Geologists know what flooding looks like and know when to attribute fossils to it, as in the case of the Hunsruck Slates and Ghost Ranch. But they know how to look for signs of a flood and know when the signs of a flood are not there, and then can find signs of alternative mechanisms to attribute it to.

Fossil deposition does not require floods of any kind!
Ummmmm, sure. Perhaps I should have said fossil deposition requires unusual burial in water and sediment. Look at your list - time after time. Water, sediments. Different environmental conditions -- but buried. Critters left unburied rot. When fish die they float and the birds eat them and they rot. Yes, a global flood is not required -- but an unusual event of some kind is required. My contention is that a global flood easily provides the variety of events displayed by your list.

Upvote 0

laptoppop

Servant of the living God
May 19, 2006
Southern California
✟23,920.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's because you are. We ask you for specific answers to specific questions regarding the fossil record, and you respond with some amorphous argument that everything in the fossil record can be explained as a result of the Flood because it was sooo "complex".
No, I respond that I insist on using a flood model that is based on reality, not a super-simplified one. Its only fair. If I insisted that the only mutational mechanism allowed to be used for evolution was cosmic ray contamination, you would properly say that I was over simplifying the model and not including all the factors. Its only fair that when trying to decide if a flood could create a particular formation that we use a realistic model of a flood, not an oversimplified straw man.

Meh. If your science is so good and well-founded, then it's only a matter of time before it is taught in geology class, usurping 200+ years of careful and laborious research by thousands of geologists. Until then, I'll do my work within an established, proven paradigm. I cannot fathom how the work I am doing now -- investigating resource partitioning among sympatric herbivorous dinosaurs of the Late Cretaceous -- would be impacted if I had to include competing species like cows, horses, elephants, giraffes, and other ungulates. But if you're right, then again it should just be a matter of time before they are discovered in Dinosaur Provincial Park just east of here.
Actually, there are some signs of progress, albeit very slow -- like the reference in Nature to Guy Berthault's work. Guy has demonstrated clearly that there are other mechanisms possible for producing laminated strata -- in particular that we must not apply the superposition principle as a law.

You only need to include the other ungulates if they were in the same geographical ecosystem, but then you knew that.

Upvote 0

shernren

you are not reading this.
Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Ummmmm, sure. Perhaps I should have said fossil deposition requires unusual burial in water and sediment. Look at your list - time after time. Water, sediments. Different environmental conditions -- but buried. Critters left unburied rot. When fish die they float and the birds eat them and they rot. Yes, a global flood is not required -- but an unusual event of some kind is required. My contention is that a global flood easily provides the variety of events displayed by your list.

Just in case you don't believe in secular science, here's AiG for you on the issue:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/am/v1/n2/exploding-fish
Contrary to popular belief, most fish never float after death. Taphonomic research confirms that most sink to the bottom and never resurface. However, many people have seen a dead fish floating in a lake “belly up.” This happens because bacteria in the fish’s gut and swim bladder produce a gas that causes the fish to inflate like a balloon. Experiments reveal that when a fish floats, it cannot float for very long. Many times the belly of the fish will rupture, causing the fish to sink to the bottom.

Even on tranquil lake bottoms, as fish decay, their remains are scattered. In many cases the decay process is complete, leaving no traces of bones. All types of fish remains are exceedingly rare in modern lake settings, and searches for bones and scales in lake mud have often turned up empty.http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/am/v1/n2/exploding-fish#fnList_1_4http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/am/v1/n2/exploding-fish#fnList_1_5 We can conclude that rocks containing fish remains (fossils) are usually made under different conditions from what we normally see operating today. So, why are there so many beautiful fossil fish specimens from the GRF?

(emphasis added) Why, indeed. Well, continuing research shows this:

http://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2002AM/finalprogram/abstract_41060.htm

Preliminary results show that (1) fish tend to disarticulate faster in shallow water than in deep water because of gas pressure differences in the gut compared to water pressure, (2) flesh can be completely consumed by bacteria in a few weeks leaving bones articulated and skin intact for longer periods of time (3) oxygen concentration in the water is not a significant factor in the decay process, because (4) fish tend to decay from the inside out, probably by anaerobic decay.

The above observations and experiments have implications for the interpretation of Fossil Lake and other deposits with well-preserved fish: (1) The fossil fish record may be biased because some species sink preferentially after death, while others float. (2) In Fossil Lake the percentage of articulated fish increases towards the basin center. At the basin margin (shallow water), poor articulation is explained by some factor(s) that cause fish to "stick" to the bottom allowing decay gases to explode them on the bottom rather than allowing them to refloat. In deeper water, good preservation occurs because decay gases are often insufficient to explode the fish or to refloat them. Fish preservation in the basin center might be explained by water depths as shallow as 5 m, even in warm water. (3) Well-preserved fossil fish should not be used as conclusive evidence for anoxia or cold water; other evidences should be sought.

Note that fish weren't the only thing fossilized - in defiance to differential escape explanations, we have good specimens of all sorts of fossils, showing that anoxic deposition with rapid lake-bottom burial isn't just an ad hoc hypothesis but is what we observe. On the other hand, a flood, besides explaining everything else about the Green River Formation explained here: http://home.entouch.net/dmd/greenriver.htm , would also have to explain the relative proportion of disarticulated fish increasing towards the basin center. In conventional geology, difference in lake depth would have made a difference. In flood geology, by the time the fish had died, sank to the bottom, and began decaying, there would have been so much water overhead that the pressure differential should have been minimal and fish wouldn't have exploded at all, let alone exploded in any discernible pattern.

So yes, while rapid burial is a condition, it is not normally a condition found in floods, but in anoxic lake sediments, into which fish sink and are never heard from again. Note that even though oxygen content may not play an important role in fish decay (noting that those are preliminary results) they do play an important part in the decay of other organisms, such as worms, due to their different body structures.

Upvote 0

Mallon

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
✟22,892.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
No, I respond that I insist on using a flood model that is based on reality, not a super-simplified one.
You say this, and yet at the same time, you continue to insist that the Flood operated on a scale and according to mechanisms that are very unreal and unlike anything we see today. If your Flood scenario is based on reality, as you say, then please provide some concrete evidence in support of it, rather than simple ad hoc and hearsay. You have yet to methodically dismiss shernren's many, many examples of fossil deposits that could not have been deposited by a Flood, nor have you addressed the major issue that I brought up a few weeks ago regarding Jurassic termite mounds. Yet you continue to insist that the Flood is the best explanation for the fossil record, in the face of all these inexplicable contradictions.
You only need to include the other ungulates if they were in the same geographical ecosystem, but then you knew that.
Dinosaur fossils have been reported from every continent on the face of the earth. Of course dinosaurs and ungulates, had they lived at the same time, would have inhabited "the same geographical ecosystem." Both groups are metropolitan. And yet, they are NEVER found together in the fossil record. Don't you find that a bit strange?

More denial and ad hoc.

Upvote 0

Deamiter

I just follow Christ.
Nov 10, 2003
Visit site
✟25,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
speaking of anoxic waters, however could a global flood produce anoxic water in under a year? It takes a MINIMUM of many months of unmixed water along with an overabundance of algae which die to generate the huge beds of bacteria at the bottom of the ocean that cause dead zones today. In a global flood that is claimed to have been ever changing and dramatic enough to deposit distinct layers, there wouldn't be enough time for an anoxic environment to FORM much less deposit any significant depth of sedementation (as the relatively unmixed waters would have lost its suspended sedement long before anoxia set in).

Upvote 0

shernren

Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Today I have even less respect on AiG after checking up on the Nature article they cited in Sedimentation Experiments: Nature Finally Catches Up! Quite frankly, they were plain silly to cite Makse et al as support, and were either clueless or deliberately deceptive.

The abstract alone provides enough fodder for reply:

Granular materials [1-5] segregate according to grain size when exposed to periodic perturbations such as vibrations [6-12]. Moreover, mixtures of grains of different sizes can also spontaneously segregate in the absence of external perturbations: when such a mixture is simply poured onto a pile, the large grains are more likely lo be found near the base, while the small grains are more likely to be near the top [13-20]. Here we report another size-separation effect, which arises when we pour a granular mixture between two vertical plates: the mixture spontaneously stratifies into alternating layers of small and large grains whenever the large grains have larger angle of repose than the small grains. We find only spontaneous segregation, without stratification, when the large grains have smaller angle of repose than the small grains. The stratification is related to the occurrence of avalanches: during each avalanche, the grains separate into a pair of static layers, with the small grains forming a sublayer underneath the layer of large grains.

(Spontaneous stratification in granular mixtures Hernan A Makse, Shlomo Havlin, Peter R King, H Eugene Stanley. Nature. London: Mar 27, 1997.Vol.386, Iss. 6623; pg. 379)

Compare this to AiG's synopsis:

And what did the Nature authors discover? Makse et al. found that mixtures of grains of different sizes spontaneously segregate in the absence of external perturbations; that is, when such a mixture is simply poured onto a pile, the large grains are more likely to be found near the base, while the small grains are more likely near the top. Furthermore, when a granular mixture is poured between two vertical plates, the mixture spontaneously stratifies into alternating layers of small and large grains whenever the large grains have a larger angle of repose than the small grains. Application—the stratification is related to the occurrence of avalanches.

Now, this clearly depends on reader ignorance to work. Firstly, Makse did not "find" that mixtures of grains of different sizes spontaneously segregate, in the sense of a research finding; he cited it from previous literature (AiG giving the profoundly wrong impression that it was original research on his part), with citation 6 being a literature review as far back as 1976. AiG wasn't ahead by 9 years; we may fairly say they were behind by 12, Guy Berthault's papers starting to come out only in 1988.

"When a granular mixture is poured between two vertical plates" - did AiG dare to repeat the exact details of the experimental setup? Of course not:

Our experimental system consists of a 'vertical quasi-two-dimensional' cell with a gap of 5mm separating two transparent plates (made of Plexiglas or glass) measuring 300mm x 200mm. To avoid the effects of electrostatic interactions between the grains and the wall, the wall is cleaned with an antistatic cleaner.

This system was in fact rigged so that the distance between the walls was negligible; the scale was so small that electrostatic effects had to be accounted for! In fact, the system is called "quasi-two-dimensional"; can anybody find me a quasi-two-dimensional deposition system in nature? The fact that they obtained such results in a theoretical setting, and then extrapolated to practicalities, is never even hinted at by AiG.

And finally, guess what their results looked like?

stratpic1.jpg

It's fairly obvious that these are not the geological strata we see today!

stratpic2.jpg

The guts of it is that particles have a property called "angle of repose", which is simply this: when I create a pile of that powder, what angle will it hold? Some particle types may be able to hold a cone sharper than a witch hat, and have a high angle of repose; other particle types can only hold a nearly-flat mound, collapsing as soon as you add more, and have a low angle of repose. Essentially, particles with different angles of repose (not density, or size, or mass, or any of those properties creationists use to explain ad hoc hydrological sorting!), as they arrive at the top of a heap, behave in different ways, leading to stratification.

This immediately falsifies any flood applications for several reasons. Firstly, the article examined the mode of deposition, not the speed of deposition: and the deposit would have formed at the same rate even if it was laminated (or possibly less). Hence creationists still face the time problem for sedimentation if they attempt to use this article. Secondly, the article deals with a quasi-two-dimensional system in air, in which the particles were introduced near the top of the peak; creationist models are necessarily three-dimensional in water, and if they want to salvage the problem of sedimentation time in any way they have to assume that the particles are being deposited all over the layer simultaneously. Finally and simply, the layers obtained obviously do not look like any geological formation!

The only question left is why did AiG quote this article as if a peer-reviewed paper in Nature is supporting them, when in fact not a single point in it can be appropriated by any creationist flood model? Ineptitude or deception? You decide.

Upvote 0

shernren

Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Anybody who wants the original article should PM me; I'm not sure how copyright rulings will affect me emailing it to a few other people, but putting it up in public on the Web in its entirety will definitely be illegal in some way or another. (I accessed it from ProQuest through my uni's library site; I'm not sure if the general public will have similar avenues of access.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LewisWildermuth

Senior Veteran
May 17, 2002
Bloomington, Illinois
✟11,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Anybody who wants the original article should PM me; I'm not sure how copyright rulings will affect me emailing it to a few other people, but putting it up in public on the Web in its entirety will definitely be illegal in some way or another. (I accessed it from ProQuest through my uni's library site; I'm not sure if the general public will have similar avenues of access.)
Thanks for the post, it is very interesting. I live close to several large universities and large libraries so I think I should be able to find it with the information you have supplied.

I have seen something simular to this, but it was in high desert sand dunes and dry slides. I wonder if it is the same process or just looks vaguely simular.

Upvote 0

shernren

Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thanks for the post, it is very interesting. I live close to several large universities and large libraries so I think I should be able to find it with the information you have supplied.

I have seen something simular to this, but it was in high desert sand dunes and dry slides. I wonder if it is the same process or just looks vaguely simular.
Well, the idea was applied to avalanches by the researchers; I suppose the general idea (particles with different angles of repose interact differently at the peak) is useable in those cases with relevant modifications. The important point is that this paper does not add anything of value to flood geology, and AiG misrepresented that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.