Hydrogen BMW A Pointless Waste of Time..

ffinder

Burned but alive!!
Dec 7, 2003
Europe
Visit site
✟363.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
http://www.evworld.com/view.cfm?section=communique&newsid=13534

Hydrogen BMW A Pointless Waste of Time

Source: iTWire
[Nov 22, 2006]

SYNOPSIS: BMW and other car manufacturers think hydrogen is the future, but is it? With hydrogen taking more energy to produce than it delivers, why the ridiculous distraction from creating clean electric cars with hundreds fewer parts than combustion engines? Forget about a hydrogen car, you'll never be driving one.
By Alex Zaharov-Reutt

An article from the Toronto Star waxes lyrically about BMW having created a hydrogen car, and how it is environmentally friendly. A number of other articles have also appeared now that BMW has released the new BMW Hydrogen 7, a hydrogen powered card. Other articles in the news right now about it include one from Times Online in the UK and another from The Independent in the UK.

There's also lots of other news about this launch over at Google News if you want more.

I advise you to read at least one of the news articles listed above on the release of the BMW Hydrogen 7 so you can see how ridiculous the whole thing is. Near the end of the article from the Toronto Star, we read that “Like oil from Alberta's tar sands, it takes more energy to make hydrogen than you get from it. Only when renewable resources, such as solar, wind and thermal energy, are used to make hydrogen will its true green potential be realized”.

So you're telling me it takes more energy to produce hydrogen that you get from it? That's so unbelievable that it's laughable. Why would you ever bother? Jim Kenzie from the Toronto Star says that when hydrogen is made from renewable resources such as solar, wind and thermal energy, then the true green potential will be realized.

Well, Mr Kenzie, and BMW, how about applying that solar, wind and thermal energy into recharging lithium ion batteries (or better, future batteries) so our cars can run on quiet electric motors instead? Why do we need combustion at all?

The whole world is aware of a movie called ‘Who killed the electric car?'. I haven't seen this movie yet, but will this week, and have heard a lot of buzz and have read a lot about it. The way in which GM marketed and then killed this car is one of the great tragedies of the 20th century. Had GM continued, many more people would happily be driving electric cars today.

GM has a response to the movie which you should read, but one of their claims is that they have a hydrogen car too. Hey GM, that's just not good enough, and none of your reasons wash with me, and I suspect they don't wash with too many other people either.

And lest you think electric cars are a dream or just a waste of time, of course Toyota has had great success with the Prius car, as well as their new Lexus hybrid. I've read reports of European and US owners of the Prius modifying their cars so they run mostly on electricity and use less petrol than ever.

Then there's the amazing Tesla Motors company with their fully electric sports car that can go from 0 to 60 mph in only 4 seconds, and all from lithium ion batteries! Tesla is being largely funded out of Silicon Valley and counts Elon Musk, founder of PayPal and Sergei Brin, co-founder of Google, among its investors. The car gets 250 miles per charge at a cost of about 1c per mile. The website has all the details, the car has already won several major awards and they have already sold out of their 2007 series!

Let's get back to hydrogen fuel for a moment. For a hydrogen fuel economy to exist, not only do we need abundant supplies of hydrogen for all, but all of the service stations that currently supply petrol (or gas for US readers) will need upgrading to supply hydrogen. Tankers specifically designed to transport hydrogen need to be built en-masse to transport hydrogen all over the country – indeed, all over the world.

There's more to this, but basically an entire infrastructure needs to be built to support this. How much will this cost again? Just so we can produce a car with no emissions. Why not go electric, the technology is mature and can easily be advanced further, and it produces no emissions either. The infrastructure to charge electric cars already exists all over the world - it's called the power grid. Every home has one, they're even in service stations. Quick battery charging technology exists and will only get better, making a very quick recharge of your car's batteries a convenient reality.

In Berlin, where BMW is trialling this project, the Toronto Star article states that: “Berlin currently has two hydrogen filling stations to service a grand total of 16 hydrogen vehicles and a handful of buses”.

So, they've outfitted two gas stations for hydrogen compatibility. Just enough to make it look like something's happening in the alternative energy space. But every fuel station in the world is going to need hydrogen if you want to drive from A to B without running out of fuel.

The article also states that “Every car maker has hydrogen research projects underway. Where BMW deviates from the mainstream is that instead of fuel cells, which convert hydrogen to electrical energy to power motors, it believes the internal combustion engine (ICE) running on hydrogen is the best, or at least quickest, way to a hydrogen-based transportation system”.

Unfortunately, given the fact that electric motors are now easily powering a sports car, and the car and oil industries have already killed the GM electric car, all of these projects are just a whitewash. A distraction.

C'mon BMW and all car companies around the world. Ditch the hydrogen project, and give us electric cars.

The world has been held back for 100 years from this technology, using filthy oil and petrol to power our cars instead. It's time we moved to the future, and stopped looking for ways to modify old, outdated technology.

Want to know more? Read the original article from the Toronto Star, visit the Tesla Motors web site, and do your own investigation on Google where a search for the term ‘electric cars' delivers 18.5 million results.

k9catts

Apr 22, 2005
San Antonio
✟8,908.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
http://www.evworld.com/view.cfm?section=communique&newsid=13534

Hydrogen BMW A Pointless Waste of Time

Source: iTWire
[Nov 22, 2006]

SYNOPSIS: BMW and other car manufacturers think hydrogen is the future, but is it? With hydrogen taking more energy to produce than it delivers, why the ridiculous distraction from creating clean electric cars with hundreds fewer parts than combustion engines? Forget about a hydrogen car, you'll never be driving one.
By Alex Zaharov-Reutt

An article from the Toronto Star waxes lyrically about BMW having created a hydrogen car, and how it is environmentally friendly. A number of other articles have also appeared now that BMW has released the new BMW Hydrogen 7, a hydrogen powered card. Other articles in the news right now about it include one from Times Online in the UK and another from The Independent in the UK.

There's also lots of other news about this launch over at Google News if you want more.

I advise you to read at least one of the news articles listed above on the release of the BMW Hydrogen 7 so you can see how ridiculous the whole thing is. Near the end of the article from the Toronto Star, we read that “Like oil from Alberta's tar sands, it takes more energy to make hydrogen than you get from it. Only when renewable resources, such as solar, wind and thermal energy, are used to make hydrogen will its true green potential be realized”.

So you're telling me it takes more energy to produce hydrogen that you get from it? That's so unbelievable that it's laughable. Why would you ever bother? Jim Kenzie from the Toronto Star says that when hydrogen is made from renewable resources such as solar, wind and thermal energy, then the true green potential will be realized.

Well, Mr Kenzie, and BMW, how about applying that solar, wind and thermal energy into recharging lithium ion batteries (or better, future batteries) so our cars can run on quiet electric motors instead? Why do we need combustion at all?

The whole world is aware of a movie called ‘Who killed the electric car?'. I haven't seen this movie yet, but will this week, and have heard a lot of buzz and have read a lot about it. The way in which GM marketed and then killed this car is one of the great tragedies of the 20th century. Had GM continued, many more people would happily be driving electric cars today.

GM has a response to the movie which you should read, but one of their claims is that they have a hydrogen car too. Hey GM, that's just not good enough, and none of your reasons wash with me, and I suspect they don't wash with too many other people either.

And lest you think electric cars are a dream or just a waste of time, of course Toyota has had great success with the Prius car, as well as their new Lexus hybrid. I've read reports of European and US owners of the Prius modifying their cars so they run mostly on electricity and use less petrol than ever.

Then there's the amazing Tesla Motors company with their fully electric sports car that can go from 0 to 60 mph in only 4 seconds, and all from lithium ion batteries! Tesla is being largely funded out of Silicon Valley and counts Elon Musk, founder of PayPal and Sergei Brin, co-founder of Google, among its investors. The car gets 250 miles per charge at a cost of about 1c per mile. The website has all the details, the car has already won several major awards and they have already sold out of their 2007 series!

Let's get back to hydrogen fuel for a moment. For a hydrogen fuel economy to exist, not only do we need abundant supplies of hydrogen for all, but all of the service stations that currently supply petrol (or gas for US readers) will need upgrading to supply hydrogen. Tankers specifically designed to transport hydrogen need to be built en-masse to transport hydrogen all over the country – indeed, all over the world.

There's more to this, but basically an entire infrastructure needs to be built to support this. How much will this cost again? Just so we can produce a car with no emissions. Why not go electric, the technology is mature and can easily be advanced further, and it produces no emissions either. The infrastructure to charge electric cars already exists all over the world - it's called the power grid. Every home has one, they're even in service stations. Quick battery charging technology exists and will only get better, making a very quick recharge of your car's batteries a convenient reality.

In Berlin, where BMW is trialling this project, the Toronto Star article states that: “Berlin currently has two hydrogen filling stations to service a grand total of 16 hydrogen vehicles and a handful of buses”.

So, they've outfitted two gas stations for hydrogen compatibility. Just enough to make it look like something's happening in the alternative energy space. But every fuel station in the world is going to need hydrogen if you want to drive from A to B without running out of fuel.

The article also states that “Every car maker has hydrogen research projects underway. Where BMW deviates from the mainstream is that instead of fuel cells, which convert hydrogen to electrical energy to power motors, it believes the internal combustion engine (ICE) running on hydrogen is the best, or at least quickest, way to a hydrogen-based transportation system”.

Unfortunately, given the fact that electric motors are now easily powering a sports car, and the car and oil industries have already killed the GM electric car, all of these projects are just a whitewash. A distraction.

C'mon BMW and all car companies around the world. Ditch the hydrogen project, and give us electric cars.

The world has been held back for 100 years from this technology, using filthy oil and petrol to power our cars instead. It's time we moved to the future, and stopped looking for ways to modify old, outdated technology.

Want to know more? Read the original article from the Toronto Star, visit the Tesla Motors web site, and do your own investigation on Google where a search for the term ‘electric cars' delivers 18.5 million results.
Great article! When Bush first asked for Hydrogen technology, I knew the oil companies loved the idea. It was then I discovered it took more energy to produce it than it produced. Big Oil will never allow the electric car to be produced it will lose money and control of our economy.

I see Toyota's Prius all over town. They seem to work great in high speed traffic. I am sure the Oil companies especially don't like the plug-in hybrids. I would be able to go too and from work and never run the gasoline engine. A tank of gas would last more than a month. That cuts 3/4's gasoline usage for me. Not bad.

Upvote 0

pantsman52

Senior Veteran
Dec 29, 2003
Fairfield
✟4,755.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
And if the electricity for your electric car is produced by a coal-fired generating plant, how exactly have you helped the environment?

It won't, that's why we need to heavily switch over to nuclear power. Atleast you can choose where to store the nuclear waste, coal and oil just goes into the air and screws everyone.

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
It won't, that's why we need to heavily switch over to nuclear power. Atleast you can choose where to store the nuclear waste, coal and oil just goes into the air and screws everyone.
Couldn't agree more.

Upvote 0

Heiroglyph

Jan 6, 2005
✟7,492.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There is a solution to generating power that does not require nuclear or burning anything. Its patent will also expire within the next 20 years and it will be free for anyone to use. Were looking at a little over 20 more years of fossil and nuclear fuels, and then its going to open up and electricity will be generated for free without any environmental effects. Cars will charge on electericity provided from these fuelless plants and burn nothing. If they can use the plants to gennerate hydrogen to use as fuel that is also just as fine. It IS coming and no one can stop it.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
True, coal does emit quite a bit of pollution. Just to get within New Jersey clean air standards, the plant my father works at is putting on 500 million dollars in back end technology. Despite coal being cheap as dirt (actually cheaper :p), the costs to keep it clean are very cumbersome.

As for oil, oil is a non-concern. We get as much energy from renewable as we get from oil. Oil is primarily used for back up for when natural gas is curtailed from businesses, such as the factory I work at.

Right now in order your power comes from:

Coal 51%
Nuclear 27 %
Natural gas 17%
Oil 3%
Renewable 3%

New Jersey is heavily powered by nuclear facilites, and we have little trouble with them. While fission is not a permanent solution, it is a better patch then coal, and some of the waste can even be used for fusion reaction, which once perfected, will be an extremely good source of fuel.

There is a solution to generating power that does not require nuclear or burning anything. Its patent will also expire within the next 20 years and it will be free for anyone to use. Were looking at a little over 20 more years of fossil and nuclear fuels, and then its going to open up and electricity will be generated for free without any environmental effects. Cars will charge on electericity provided from these fuelless plants and burn nothing. If they can use the plants to gennerate hydrogen to use as fuel that is also just as fine. It IS coming and no one can stop it.

Um, what magical power source are you refering to? There are very few sources of power that do not consume fuel, and also do not have environmental effects. Solar power is the only power source I know of that is renewable, burns no fuel, and does no harm the the environment. If you would like to share with us what you have discovered, I would be willing to look at it.

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Zero Point Energy? If so actually extracting zero point energy is science fiction.

Upvote 0

Heiroglyph

Jan 6, 2005
✟7,492.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Im sorry Im not at liberty to discuss this in detail because Im currently working on a prototype for it, and have contractual obligations with the actual patent holder. It's not science fiction it's actually so obvious a solution that alot of people will slap themselves in the head for not thinking of it sooner. You wouldnt be able to do anything with the information anyhow, because like I said it's already patented, in development. Expect limited uses while the patent is still in effect, expect worldwide adoption once it's no longer in effect.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Im sorry Im not at liberty to discuss this in detail because Im currently working on a prototype for it, and have contractual obligations with the actual patent holder. It's not science fiction it's actually so obvious a solution that alot of people will slap themselves in the head for not thinking of it sooner. You wouldnt be able to do anything with the information anyhow, because like I said it's already patented, in development. Expect limited uses while the patent is still in effect, expect worldwide adoption once it's no longer in effect.
I expect it to be completely unusable for power generation. A lot of these miracle devices have come out, they loved to call me at the BPU and try get their inventions added to the list of clean energy products. Unfortunately, none of them ever qualified, as they weren't true renewable energy.

Show me proof, or what you speak of is pure science fiction.

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Cool. Can I keep guessing?

Ummm - Tidal power? Geothermal energy?

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Tidal power has environmental detriments to it. Geothermal is not a truly renewable energy source.
Okay... hmmmm... millions of teensy-tiny turbines turned by precipitation? Rain Power! :D

No? Ummmm... Bioelectric power? Oooooh, anti-gravity to create perpetual motion super generators?

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Okay... hmmmm... millions of teensy-tiny turbines turned by precipitation? Rain Power! :D

Probably the best guess so far, but I haven't heard if it being used to great success (it will be dark in those deserts ;)).

No? Ummmm... Bioelectric power?

Not since The One freed us from the Matrix.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

wiggsfly

Walking the tightrope of life
Nov 20, 2005
✟4,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Probably the best guess so far, but I haven't heard if it being used to great success (it will be dark in those deserts ;)).

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Not since The One freed us from the Matrix.
I was kinda hoping for a bunch of genetically cloned hamsters on little wheels :D

Upvote 0

pantsman52

Senior Veteran
Dec 29, 2003
Fairfield
✟4,755.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat

Is it powered by love?

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟231,879.00
Faith
Christian
There was a car in the Simpsons powered by one's own sense of self satisfaction.
Sure it wasn't Southpark ?

pious0pq.jpg

Upvote 0