Ohio
✟19,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Anyone care to guess how long it will be before the adds looking for people who were given Hydoxychlorquinine for COVID-19 and now have heart problems are as common an ones for Shower to Shower and Roundup?
Yet the FDA approves this drug. Its been used for 70 years. Why if its not safe?

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟345,120.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yet the FDA approves this drug. Its been used for 70 years. Why if its not safe?
It's approved for some uses because the benefits have been shown to outweigh the risks -- for those uses.

• Agree
Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Like all drugs it has to be used correctly and can have serious side effects. Just because the FDA approves a drug does not mean that you can pop them like TicTacs.

Upvote 0

Need answers

Feb 8, 2020
Ohio
✟19,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Like all drugs it has to be used correctly and can have serious side effects. Just because the FDA approves a drug does not mean that you can pop them like TicTacs.
Im sure doctors are not prescribing it as such either;.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟324,200.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

NO drug is totally safe. The shots for rabies is a great example. They are quite dangerous, but since until fairly recently no one, not one single person survived once the showed signs of rabies it was a no brainer for someone bitten by a rabid animal. It was a difficult decision when someone was bitten by an animal that was not then caught and tested.

With Hydoxychlorquinine the benefits outweigh the risks for some conditions. That includes a proper evaluation of the risks specific to the patient because of other conditions. That means a full medical history. Any bets that did not happen a lot of the time?

There is a virtual certainty that at least for some patients the potential benefit did not outweigh the risks, by a huge margin. If the paperwork is not perfect in those cases it is an easy case. If it turns out the benefits are mainly woo then the very same sort who are screaming for it now will be the ones screaming for money later.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
They havent given him credit for anything. Not exactly love.
That is because there is not very much to give him credit for. Pointing out his endless failures is valid criticism, not hate. Now there are those that hate him irrationally. I will grant that. The term Trump Derangement Syndrome is used to describe that. But there is TDS among conservatives too. They defend Trump no matter what.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
They have used it for years to treat malaria. Thats what im talking about.
That's right. It works against malaria, which is caused by a protozoan. Why would it work against a virus? It can have negative side effects even then. But one's immune system does not tend to be as compromised by the protozoan as it can be by the virus. And then there are the heart issues. Side effects can vary with the disease being treated.

Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

Need answers

Feb 8, 2020
Ohio
✟19,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Why would it work against a virus?
Recent in vitro studies (studies done in a petri dish or test tube rather than in animals or humans) have shown that both hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine have antiviral properties against SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. In these studies, these medications worked by interfering with the chemical environment of human cell membranes. This blocked the virus from entering and multiplying inside the cells. A medication working in vitro does not always mean that it will work once inside a human body.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Most abortions are before the fetal stage. So your claim is false. And though abortion may not be "good" making it illegal is demonstrably "bad". And like most Christians that oppose abortion you do not even have a valid argument against it. The Bible is not anti-abortion.

My family participates in medical missions every year, and I tag along to help with logistical matters and be the ukulele player entertaining the crowds waiting in line to receive treatment (I'm not a doctor or nurse; my role is to support them).

A friend who is a physician in South Africa reported heartbreaking news about how the hype for HDQ as a prophylactic or treatment for COVID-19 has lead to irresponsible overprescribing around the world that swiftly caused dramatic shortages of this medication for uses of demonstrable efficacy. It had been successfully prescribed to pregnant women who are at-risk for delivering prematurely, recurrent miscarriage, and vasculoplacental disorders, such as preeclampsia, but it's impossible for them to obtain the medication at present.

I also have to mention how on this forum lately there's been a frenzy of buzz about Stanford leading a COVID-19 serum antibody test, and some false extrapolations the right-wing media have made about it. I won't go into all of it, but the infectious disease expert who is leading this test (the first in the U.S.) is my advisor. He's also studied the counterproductivity of Republican anti-abortion policies for decades, by carefully examining the data instead of investing in cheap hype. I was one of the undergrad researchers who worked on this study showing how the rhetoric is anti-abortion but the effect has been a dramatic increase in abortion: USA aid policy and induced abortion in sub-Saharan Africa: an analysis of the Mexico City Policy

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Recent in vitro studies (studies done in a petri dish or test tube rather than in animals or humans) have shown that both hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine have antiviral properties against SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. In these studies, these medications worked by interfering with the chemical environment of human cell membranes. This blocked the virus from entering and multiplying inside the cells. A medication working in vitro does not always mean that it will work once inside a human body.
In vitro is one thing, in vivo is another. Early on in this thread I posted a link to a study that showed for at least one virus that though there were promising results in vitro it had negative results in vivo (in an living being).

To date all that those supporting this treatment have are in vitro tests. And not just in vitro, on surfaces too. Ethanol kills the virus. Are you going to take massive doses of that drug?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Need answers

Feb 8, 2020
Ohio
✟19,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In vitro is one thing, in vivo is another. Early on in this thread I posted a link to a study that showed for at least one virus that though there were promising results in vitro it had negative results in vivo (in an living being).

To date all that those supporting this treatment have are in vitro tests. And not just in vitro, on surfaces too. Ethanol kills the virus. Are you going to take massive doses of that drug?
When Trump first expressed hope in this drug there was science behind it. Some doctors must still think there is science behind it because they are still using it!

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
My family participates in medical missions every year, and I tag along to help with logistical matters and be the ukulele player entertaining the crowds waiting in line to receive treatment (I'm not a doctor or nurse; my role is to support them).

A friend who is a physician in South Africa reported heartbreaking news about how the hype for HDQ as a prophylactic or treatment for COVID-19 has lead to irresponsible overprescribing around the world that swiftly caused dramatic shortages of this medication for uses of demonstrable efficacy. It had been successfully prescribed to pregnant women who are at-risk for delivering prematurely, recurrent miscarriage, and vasculoplacental disorders, such as preeclampsia, but it's impossible for them to obtain the medication at present.

I also have to mention how on this forum lately there's been a frenzy of buzz about Stanford leading a COVID-19 serum antibody test, and some false extrapolations the right-wing media have made about it. I won't go into all of it, but the infectious disease expert who is leading this test (the first in the U.S.) is my advisor. He's also studied the counterproductivity of Republican anti-abortion policies for decades, by carefully examining the data instead of investing in cheap hype. I was one of the undergrad researchers who worked on this study showing how the rhetoric is anti-abortion but the effect has been a dramatic increase in abortion: USA aid policy and induced abortion in sub-Saharan Africa: an analysis of the Mexico City Policy
And that is exactly the sort of problem that I predicted very early in this thread. That the improper endorsement of Trump and others could cause a run on the medicine. It is so odd that people cannot understand the simple lesson of toilet paper in grocery stores. People panicking bought up all of the toilet paper. Far more than they could use in a year or more. Stores ran out quickly and they continue to suffer even though there is no actual shortage of supply. It is just a matter of restocking. There is a limited amount of any drug out there at any time. A run on it for a bad reason hurts those that really need it.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟838,909.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,765,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ADVISOR HAT

256064_6429f71273587ebdde5b1038d8c1ccf4.jpg

This thread had a clean up. The topic is in the OP. It is not about abortion or pediphilia.

Reopening. Stick to the topic.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.