Hurt and Confused

Nov 17, 2014
✟15,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi there, I'm very new to CF. I was looking for a place where I could safely discuss the problems currently occurring in my marriage. I'm unsure of what I should do other than pray at this point.

Here is some background: Been together since we were 16 and 17. He joined the Navy at his fathers insistence after having the regular college freshman jump around where he didn't know what he wanted to do when he grew up. I didn't like it but that's what he decided. We got engaged. He left. He wanted to get married that year, after attempting to tell our parents this idea things went a bit sour.

We worked through the problems and got married 3 years later (21 & 22) after I finished college(long distance relationship for those 3 years). We had our first year adjusting, then the sea trials and back to back deployments started. This was for 3 years. I was the Navy wife at home holding down the fort. I miscarried during the 2nd year when he was on his 1st deployment during that time. It was devastating.

He has been back home now for 2 years. For the last year and a half we have had to deal with many changes. He changed ships, we started a business and he joined a motorcycle club. Things have been shaky. He started closing me out after some time.

He was made LPO (Leading Petty Officer) for his plant on the new ship and he loved it, at first. He told his chain of command that it was too much (he had started having anxiety and panic attacks) and since then he's been treated like dog poop. They saw it as a weakness and that he didn't care about his career. Work has been extremely stressful for him ever since. I could have also done more on the homefront (cleaning and cooking more). I would have silent strikes when I was frustrated because after I'd clean it was messy again...I could have done better.

When we started the business I thought that I would be the primary on that side because he had the Navy and I hadn't been working for about 5 months at the time. He would put me down in front of others and I started backing away a bit. Then he got busier at work and expected me to step up, but at that point it didn't fully feel like it was mine. I now think of it this way but it has taken me some time. Our business has not had the success that he was hoping it would by this point and he blames me I believe. (I did have plenty to contribute to it's slow go, I could have done more.) But we stuck with it.

Then there is the motorcycle club. It's an all male club. This is the first time he's ever been interested in anything like this, I didn't know much but I didn't want to be the wife who tells her husband he can't do something that he would enjoy. As he learned more of what it entailed he never really sat down with me to discuss how things were and I only learned from the little bit that I heard from other wives and when he decided to share something that annoyed him. So almost everything I learned sounded negative and honestly a little scary to me. That being said almost any time I said something it was probably negative. The only defense I have to this is that I worried for my husband and didn't want to see him hurt or getting into things that could cause him trouble. Even through all of this I did try to show my support to him. Whenever there wasn't anything business related or if I was told with enough time I made sure to be at any event that I could be at.

I hadn't realized just how bad things had gotten from his POV until 3 weeks ago. On Monday, October 27th was the memorial service of one of the Navy guys who worked with my husband. (He commited suicide earlier in the month.) We went to that and in the evening they had a bbq with the his family. On the way to the bbq he started telling me about some issues in the club, I spoke up and told him that it worried me to hear it (it was a money issue, some of the guys are constantly borrowing money from others). I should have just kept my mouth closed. He jumped down my throat and told me that everything that comes out of my mouth was negative. I got angry and lashed out, I told him that I was done with the Motorcycle club. I didn't care if he told me anything about it anymore. I was so angry, but I regretted saying it later when I thought about it.

I didn't get the chance to apologize because the very next day he packed bags and said he was staying at a friends house. He gave random reasons from the cleanliness of the house, I spoke to him as a child at times, I only considered the house mine...some of these things were the very first time I was hearing it.

It was a very difficult week for me. We were civil.

We finally really spoke the following Monday. I was relieved. We hit some of the issues that really needed to be discussed from the business, the motorcycle club and the ways in which I spoke. I honestly felt so much better about his club after that conversation. It was an amazing step in the right direction. I thought we were finally really working on our issues.

Last Wednesday he had a memorial for a member of the club from California who had been taken off of life support. I believed it was a member only thing and I had a late night in the office so I told him to be careful and I'd see him later. I got home at about 10:30 and let him know I was home. At 11:45 he said he would be heading home soon. He didn't get in until after 5. I couldn't sleep and was so worried. He hadn't messaged me since 1 in the morning when he said he was still hanging out. He had gotten drunk and the guys let him sleep it off. When he walked in the door I couldn't really speak to him because it only caused me to cry. I told him we would speak that evening after I'd calmed down. I took my time getting back home. Found out he spent the day after work with his motorcycle friends again.

When I came home I asked him about his priorities. He couldn't answer. The conversation ended with him telling me he was done pretending and didn't see any point in trying to work on our marriage. I spent the night at a friends house, it was a married couple. I didn't want to go to anyone single who could fill my head with things I didn't need to hear.

I went home the next day after spending the night thinking, praying and talking to my friend with hope in my heart. When I saw him I told him that he may not think it's worth it anymore, but I also made a promise the day that we got married. I was going to fight for our marriage even if I was alone in my fight for the time being. He left the house to spend the day with his friends.

That was on Friday. That night I got into a car accident and when I called he didn't answer. I texted him and told him that I needed him, and the car was hit. He told me to take care of it. Then later added on at least you're ok. When I asked him the next morning when he came home to get ready for work why he hadn't come, he said that he thought I made it up. When he came home that night to pack up more of his things he told me that he loved me but wasn't in love with me anymore, our goals weren't the same.

On Sunday he asked me to take care of the legal side of things. This was after he started crying and said it was a difficult question to ask. I have been in constant prayer since all of this has been happening and the Lord helped me to answer calmly by telling him that this was his decision. If he is willing to talk to someone and go into some counseling I would be more helpful on my end but until then I still don't understand what is happening.

He's already started talking to the Navy lawyer.

I'm so lost on how to even proceed anymore. It feels like a high speed train that I can't get off of.

Could this really be the end? What could have him moving so quickly with this process? I have no clue how this even works.

I'm so sorry for how long this is, I feel like I have literally thrown up all over you guys, but I just don't understand how this is even happening right now.

I ask for prayers and advice.

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Here's the part that stands out to me.

Why did he ask you to take care of the legal side of things? That doesn't make sense to me.

I've been through a divorce - and I was the one who wanted it. As such - I can tell you that wild horses couldn't have kept me away from the lawyer and getting the thing over with. So - the idea of wanting a divorce - but leaving it in the hands of the person who doesn't want it - really strikes me as strange.

Upvote 0

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Also - what state are you in? Different states have different laws w/respect to how quickly a divorce can be obtained.

For example - when I was divorced out in California - they had a six month minimum waiting period. Other states, like FL for example, don't have such time limits. Some have longer periods, some have none, etc.

Upvote 0

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Wow - that's just bizarre to me.

Like, I never would have left my divorce in the hands of my ex-wife. Heck - she never even responded to the notification and I had to end up filing another petition to the court, pay extra fees to the attorney/etc, in order to represent both "sides" of our divorce.

Upvote 0

bethrow

Veteran
Sep 8, 2006
✟12,537.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry this is very long...but your situation stood out to me.
From what you've written he seems disappointed with his life in general.
His father pushed him to join the Navy because he couldn't decide what to do with his life...so he wasn't really able to find the career on his own. He wanted to marry you...but father didn't agree with choice so he didn't get to do that right away. The first year of your marriage he had to be away from you. Wasn't able to be there for you during your miscarriage. You never said how he felt about your miscarriage. Did this upset him?
When he got home for 2 years it sounds like he didn't deal with changes very well.
He couldn't handle the change in ships, the start of the new business, the new LPO job that caused anxiety and panic attacks. When he tried to tell them that his job was too much he wasn't listened to and made to feel like a wimp. That is terrible for a man to endure. To be looked down on for feeling stressed. Does the navy have a counsellor available for him to speak to? I'm curious as to why this other man in the navy committed suicide. Perhaps he was dealing with what you husband is dealing with?

When he started putting you down did you ask him why he was doing this when he never did it before? I'm assuming he never talked down to you prior to marriage.

Also...he decided to have a business only for it to not work out. That might have been a big disappointment for him.
He joined a motorcycle club where he might possibly become a part of only to feel a little disappointed because of some things going on within the club.

He doesn't seem to make the right decisions, but maybe he feels that when he makes a decision it never works out. He may be a very disappointed person.
He decided to stay out with friends and not tell you where he was and not respond when you told him you were in a car accident. Not very good decision making when it comes to being married, but decision making hasn't been his strongest quality and it stems from the past.
I'm sure he loves you, but he sounds broken. He needs counselling to deal with what is going on inside.
If it were me I'd tell him no about taking care of legal side of things. I would tell him that we can separate for a while and take some time away to think things over, but won't be doing anything yet.
It just seems that he's backing out of the marriage because the decision he made to get married didn't turn out like he hoped.
I think you both need counselling. He needs counselling for himself to learn how to make decisions and to not just give up when things don't go right. He can't just walk away from a marriage because it's not turned out the way he planned.
Did his vows mean nothing? Have you asked him?
Nothing is a deal breaker unless you've cheated on him or vice versa. You can change the way you speak to him, be a better housekeeper or get someone to do it for you(like me..:) and maybe get help from a 3rd party in regards to the business.
A couple of other things I got from your post is that he acts rather young. Men don't mature as quickly as women do, but it seems instead of dealing with issues with you he runs to his friends.
Also...I might be way off here, but when I read that he was with his friends all night long, didn't even bother to tell you where he was, he loves you, but is not in love with you, and he's moving very quickly to end the marriage by moving his things out, wanting you to get the legal side of things done, and he's talking to a navy lawyer....when I read all of this I immediately questioned whether he was cheating or if he has his eye on someone else.
So...to sum up what I've said. I think he's had trouble making decisions...when he does make decisions things don't work out and he's disappointed.
I could be way off here, but hopefully I've pointed some things out for you to look at.
I would NOT move on legal things just yet. Pray for your husband and your marriage just like you've been doing. You can't push him to stay, but you can tell him to think about things. If he's cheating...well...that would be a deal breaker for me. Hopefully that isn't what is happening here.
Have you thought about possibly getting counselling for yourself? They might also be able to help you with what you are going through.
Prayers to you today.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2014
✟15,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for those who have read my post and offered advice. I truly appreciate your words, thoughts and prayers at this time.

saying prayers for you.....................
could you ask him if you two could slow down the process? Just slow it down?

I can,but we haven't had a real conversation in days. I know he wants to sit down and talk about what the lawyer told him but he hasn't set anything concrete.

EZoolander said:
Here's the part that stands out to me.

Why did he ask you to take care of the legal side of things? That doesn't make sense to me.

No clue. He got emotional when he asked me to do this as well. Said it was a difficult question to ask.

We live in Virginia, someone told me that there was a 6 month waiting period.

bethrow said:
Wasn't able to be there for you during your miscarriage. You never said how he felt about your miscarriage. Did this upset him?

The miscarriage hit him pretty hard. He was far away and very saddened by it because we were actively trying to get pregnant at the time.

bethrow said:
Does the navy have a counselor available for him to speak to? I'm curious as to why this other man in the navy committed suicide. Perhaps he was dealing with what you husband is dealing with?
I know they have chaplains, I don't know much of what they offer beyond that because he's always told me that a lot of those things are looked down upon especially for his job.
No one knows for certain why the guy committed suicide. He was younger than my husband and this was his first ship. They are Nuclear Mechanics and overall the job is high pressure. The actual schedule has been cake compared to schedules my husband has had in the past, but it was probably too much for him.

bethrow said:
When he started putting you down did you ask him why he was doing this when he never did it before? I'm assuming he never talked down to you prior to marriage.
No my husband is one of the kindest, most generous and good-natured people I have ever met. When we were teenagers I was the bad one when it came down to our arguing. I learned to curb and hold my tongue over the years. When I asked him he said that he hadn't meant to be hurtful and would work on it. He did. He didn't hush me or tell me that I was answering questions the wrong way in front of other anymore.

bethrow said:
Did his vows mean nothing? Have you asked him?
I didn't outright ask him about his vows. The answer to my question on priorities scared me enough to hold back on that one. I did tell him that I couldn't believe that this is the same man who pledged himself to me. The only response I got was that our marriage was not as high on his priorities as it should be.

bethrow said:
....when I read all of this I immediately questioned whether he was cheating or if he has his eye on someone else.
He's never done anything to make me believe that he has...well let me rephrase, I've never had the feeling that I should be concerned about that. So, I have been trying to not even let it cross my mind.

bethrow said:
So...to sum up what I've said. I think he's had trouble making decisions...when he does make decisions things don't work out and he's disappointed.
You make a really good point, and you're probably right about his disappointment. My husband is a gigantic A, very action oriented. He is a go getter. When he wants to do something, he wants to get it done and accomplished yesterday.

bethrow said:
Have you thought about possibly getting counseling for yourself? They might also be able to help you with what you are going through.
It is something that I am considering. I know that right now all I can do is focus on prayer, focus on fixing my own issues, and have faith that all will work out. This is something that I know that we do need to get professional help for, individually and together.

Again, thank you for your words and prayers. I really do appreciate insight from an outsiders perspective.

Upvote 0

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, Virginia's divorce laws from what I'm reading are a bit different than the ones I dealt with in CA. But - here's what I gather.

Virginia *does* offer "at-fault" types of divorce (meaning - say one of you cheated and/or deserted the marriage) - it can be cited as cause. However, none of those appear to be the case here.

What they also offer, and what would most likely be relevant for you, would be what are called separation divorces. Basically it just means you guys have been part for X amount of time - with no reasonable cause for believing it can be fixed - therefore a divorce can be finalized.

In your state - if there are children - it appears to be a year. So basically - he (or you) would have to live away from the other for at least a year - before it could be done.

So at the very least - you've got a year.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums