Humble Worship Leader or Sunday morning musician?

Sep 23, 2014
✟7,651.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Is your Worship Leader a true “Minister of Music?” Does he or she use music, in all its forms and all genres, to enhance the worship experience and try to lead people to accept Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior? Or is the person leading worship merely using the church’s stage and PA system to fulfill their secret desires of being a rock star? Also known in some circles as a Sunday morning musician.[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'][/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']To be more specific: does your Worship Leader humbly and gracefully coach, lovingly mentor, and truly inspire others to perform at their best, and with the passion and “fire-in-belly” to serve the church. It’s been said great leaders don’t lead, they “inspire” others to do their very best. [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Or is your Worship Leader simply a Sunday morning musician, with his or her own secret agenda and the very public desire to merely show off? Do they work to project the pastor’s true message for the service, or do they crave the spotlight for themselves? Have you noticed a cocky and arrogant “my way or the highway” attitude? [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']I’ve played for Ministers of Music, aka Worship Leaders with advanced degrees in Music and who routinely have 30 piece orchestras and 50 member choirs, all backed by multimillion dollar pipe organs. These educated gentlemen show a very distinct and humble, even graceful character as they truly aspire to serve the Lord using the talents He gave them. They gladly share their knowledge and give freely to all who seek to understand music or strive to get closer to God. They even understand and appreciate all forms of music but have their favorites. [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']And I’ve played for “Worship Leaders” barely out of a bachelor’s program at the local college who can semi-confidently strum their moderately-priced acoustic guitar, but act like they know everything about everything and have the cocky, arrogant, egotistical attitude to go with it. But when asked about Bach, Brahms, or Mozart, or Chopin, Tchaikovsky, or Wagner they know nothing, They’ve maybe heard of Mozart but can’t really name anything he’s done. Ever heard of Beethoven, you ask them? Wasn’t that a movie about a big dog, they answer? And who is that John Rutter dude, anyway? [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']And speaking of contemporary music, don’t even ask them about the wonderful music educators and pioneers such as Dave Brubeck, Clem Derosa, Artie Van Damme, or Django Reinhardt. Mention 5/4 or 6/8 Jazz or 12 bar Blues, you’ll probably get the “deer in the headlights look”, or most likely the worn-out phrase, “well, this is MY band, so ______.” Fill in the blanks. [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']And when asked to play, they always come up with the same old “four on the floor” contemporary rock song with rehashed Christian lyrics as if that is all they can do and it’s “good enough”. Some have great voices, others not so great. The majority fall somewhere in between. Never is it discussed with the rest of the band or asked of the congregation what they would like to play and hear. It’s always about them and what they like. Tell me again why the church has pews full of hymnals? [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Being an experienced and gigging musician myself and studying for years in the public school music programs performing in concert and symphonic bands, marching bands, and jazz bands, as well as a cherished stint in a local university’s music program, I can honestly and with a high degree of confidence spot a “wanna-be” rock star posing as a worship leader. Years and years of practicing and studying with some of the best music teachers in the area (thank you mom and dad) have helped to hone my skill set. I’ve recorded with numerous bands. Am I an expert? No way, not by a long shot. But I’m not out to be the best. My goal is to merely hold my own in any playing situation. My instrument, you may wonder? It’s one of the easiest instruments to play, yet the hardest instrument to master and truly understand: drums and percussion. [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']I’m still wondering how a Worship Leader with no drum or percussion experience whatsoever can think they can competently discuss the various groove nuances required to make a particular song sound good in live music and worship. Just because someone’s roommate for a semester at school or someone’s friend played drums while growing up, does not qualify one to micromanage a drummer. Far from it.[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']This leads me to my next series of questions. Why are young "worship leaders" so blooming cocky, arrrogant, and egotistical? I've met more than my share of these characters who can barely fit their massive egos inside the church sanctuary. It pains me to see some young, new "hotshot" come in and automatically assume they "know-it-all" and nobody else knows more than they do about music, life, the Bible, etc. I’ve run into so-called worship leaders who didn't know the squat about music theory, but yet think their minister certification (if they even have one) automatically entitles them to micromanage everything the worship team does and do so with arrogance, egotism, and a “my way or the highway” attitude. Sadly, within the last half decade, I’ve witnessed several people pull pastors aside and tell them their newly minted “worship leader” needs to “lose the attitude” if they are going to stay. It has gotten that bad. What are they teaching young people nowadays?[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']To conclude, I think there should be a required course in every college or university Religion program that focuses entirely on humbleness and humility; in other words leave the massive ego at home. It’s not welcomed. [/FONT]

Last edited:

August B Red

Nov 6, 2014
✟7,614.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
How is the 'humble' Worship leader humble by touting all of his wordly knowledge and boasting about himself being better than the 'Sunday morning musician' who is only emulating what he see's in the world? Shouldn't this oh so humble pharisee take the time to teach the rockstar some humility.

I have seen many in-between's of these, but I've never seen either extreme you point out in this hard to follow post.

Totally worth joining these forums to point out the irony of the "humble" worship leader :shutup:

Upvote 0