Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How We Used to Sleep in Medieval Days

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Michie, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Michie

Michie Manipulation Resistance Team Supporter CF Ambassador

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Christine Baumgarthuber of the delightful Austerity Kitchen blog has a column on how people slept in pre-industrial societies. Instead of a single eight-hour interval, most people had a “first” and “second” sleep:
    http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/firstthoughts/2012/02/24/how-we-used-to-sleep/

2. Wolseley

Wolseley Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Catholic
    I tend to go to sleep and wake up about four hours later; then I can't shut my head off (the PTSD I'm told), so I lay there and read for three to four hours, then go back to sleep for another three to four----if I can sleep that long. Usually I have to get up and get the kid ready for school, so my prime sleep time (the second four-hour block) is always interrupted. As a result, I'm usually either somewhat dopey during the day, or if it's really bad I'll got back to bed for a while later in the morning, but I won't sleep deeply---it's more of a doze, enough so that I can function properly.

3. Memento Mori

Memento Mori Guest