How to spread the gospel as an introvert?

MissH84

Jan 12, 2019
London
✟23,868.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
So, I'm quite introverted and shy and don't feel comfortable talking to strangers. I can ask for directions and if someone stops me on the street to ask something is ok too but for me to walk up to someone and start talking about something is a bit of a nightmare. It's not that I feel ashamed to talk about God, I'm just not confident enough to strike a conversation. If someone asks me if i believe in God etc I happily say yes. It feels like i "have to" go out and spread the gospel and it's frustrating. Not only that, what if people ask questions i can't answer? The closest to talking about God is me sharing Christian videos on Instagram but it feels like i should do more but what? Can I write little Bible verses and hide them here and there for people to find?

I just remembered a book called Tactics or something and i think it tells how to talk about God as an introvert but I'm not sure. Has anyone here read it?

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟898,630.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So, I'm quite introverted and shy and don't feel comfortable talking to strangers. I can ask for directions and if someone stops me on the street to ask something is ok too but for me to walk up to someone and start talking about something is a bit of a nightmare. It's not that I feel ashamed to talk about God, I'm just not confident enough to strike a conversation. If someone asks me if i believe in God etc I happily say yes. It feels like i "have to" go out and spread the gospel and it's frustrating. Not only that, what if people ask questions i can't answer? The closest to talking about God is me sharing Christian videos on Instagram but it feels like i should do more but what? Can I write little Bible verses and hide them here and there for people to find?

I just remembered a book called Tactics or something and i think it tells how to talk about God as an introvert but I'm not sure. Has anyone here read it?

Haven't read it but heard about it.

I think it's something you have to find out, what way fits you best sharing the gospel. Hiding Bible verses here and there is one way. I think it's important you find a way you enjoy, so you don't do it just because you have to and it becomes a burden. Other ways to share the gospel is wearing a t-shirt or some other clothing with the gospel message. If you enjoy writing, you can write Christian essays or poems with the gospel message in there and share it with others. If you can sing or play an instrument you can share your Christian songs in a way you are comfortable with. If you like painting, paint Christian motives and put them on a blog or webpage, or just hand out pictures of your paintings. There are many ways to do it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tempura

Noob
Site Supporter
May 2, 2010
✟320,561.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Example is a good one. I don't mean the "be like me, see how good I am" kind, but by simply loving your neighbor. You will come across people who will need help, you will come across people who can use your empathy. Love is incredibly powerful. Humility is inspiring too.

Prayer is also something we should keep in high regard. In fact the more we pray about God's good will and Christ to be with people we're concerned about, the less we're trusting our own feeble ability. After all, when most of us came to believe, it wasn't because of some trick, right? It wasn't because of someone put up a performance, was it? Or perhaps to some extent it was, I cannot know, but ultimately God is the one who gives faith, and He gives it freely. We can pray for these things, not only for ourselves, but for others as well.

It's great that you're ready to answer that you believe, when someone asks you, and that you're happy about it. Sometimes people ask.

You'll figure out these things in time. Our faith grows, our understanding and personal agreement on different parts of theology might grow and change, and sometimes we might be a bit too anxious, a bit too much in a hurry to "do something" while we are quite young in our walk of faith ourselves and when God still has plenty of work to do with us first. Then again, even a few clumsy words about the love of God that is in Christ can melt a few hearts, but even then it's God in His spirit who's doing the actual work.

But by all means, do what you think is good and out of a glad heart. Never out of fear, compulsion or confused stress.

Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟687,763.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Both Zoidar and Tempura had good advice. I will just mention, where I walk, I've found painted rocks that on one side is a Bible verse. Also someone actually pins a dollar bill on a tree in a plastic bag and in it is a Bible verse or saying.

Upvote 0

Kettriken

Feb 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
✟41,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private

This has been a difficult issue for me as well. Just as with a human body, not all parts of the body of Christ are called to the same thing. Some are mouths, some are ears, some are guts and bones and skin cells.
You are not denying God's good news. If you are seeking to live in communion with God, trusting to Christ for your salvation, and responsive to the Holy Spirit, that is enough. If you truly feel led, not guilted, to share the message more "vocally" take some of the examples listed above for spreading a witness more in line with the gifts God has given you.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟256,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

Well the word gospel in The Bible means good news.

But in current times many have used the word gospel as what one tells people (unbelievers) what to believe, to be born again.

So if you are using the word gospel in that way. the message is simple, even though many have complicated it.

But a few points to remember is that it not not faith in the gospel that gives a person Eternal Life (to be born again).

But what gives a person Eternal Life is that a person looks to and trust in Jesus (The Messiah) for God's free gift of Eternal Life.

With that said, to tell people the gospel a simple printed paper copy, can be handed out to people or how ever you may choose to speak to people.

But a paper copy to give away could go something like this.

If you are looking for or want God's free gift of Eternal Life. Believe that Jesus is the promised Messiah from the prophecies of The Tanakh (Old Testament) and trust in the Messiah for Eternal Life.

And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

“He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.

Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life.

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”

She said to Him, “Yes, Lord, I believe that You are the Christ, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.”

And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.

You can also go to this website LivingWater and request copies of The Gospel of John to hand out or mail out. This is not only the book of The Bible, "The Gospel of John" but there are written explanation's with this Gospel of John, explaining how to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Print off a few hundred simple gospel narrations, say a one page explanation. With two or three good Christian web sites listed on the page, that explain the gospel a bit more deeply. Then do the postman walk and deliver them over your suburb. Or you can deliver them in the next suburb.

That way you do not have to talk their ears off. Nor will you make any serious errors in how you explain the gospel.

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟392,179.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm quite introverted and shy and don't feel comfortable talking to strangers.

Not everyone has to evangelise on the streets.
For many of us our area of evangelism is our place of work, with our friends, family and neighbours.

Be natural, on Mondays at work a common question is ' How was your weekend?' your responce to this opening question could be to talk about your church service.
In conversation about an event on the news, you could respond with a view from a Christian perspective.

If a conversation develops remember some key questions.
What do you believe?
What evidence do you have for that believe?

Just be sure that you can answer these questions.

Upvote 0

Psalm 27

Aug 21, 2020
Uk
✟119,782.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Writing your favourite verse on pebbles (mine's John 14:6) is a way. Or, posting out John's Gospel/new testaments to people anonymously.
in the UK, tbh, people don't seem to want to talk about the things of God, unless it's at a funeral.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟244,038.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So, I'm quite introverted and shy and don't feel comfortable talking to strangers. I can ask for directions and if someone stops me on the street to ask something is ok too but for me to walk up to someone and start talking about something is a bit of a nightmare.

Do you think evangelism is only done in conversation with complete strangers? Sometimes, maybe, evangelism occurs with a stranger, but certainly not always, or even mostly.

It's not that I feel ashamed to talk about God, I'm just not confident enough to strike a conversation.

What part of you is worried about confidence? What part of you would rather avoid talking to people than share with them the saving truths of the Gospel? Is it a part that honors and loves God? Or is it that part of you concerned only with you? I ask as a former extreme introvert.

If someone asks me if i believe in God etc I happily say yes. It feels like i "have to" go out and spread the gospel and it's frustrating.

Well, evangelism is one of the two primary mandates God has given to His people, the Church. But I don't see any place in Scripture that suggests we ought all to be the next Billy Graham. Grow where you're planted. Be light and salt in the midst of your family, friends, neighbors and co-workers.

The closest to talking about God is me sharing Christian videos on Instagram but it feels like i should do more but what? Can I write little Bible verses and hide them here and there for people to find?

Yes. Greg Koukl's book is an excellent resource for strategies in talking to others about your Christian faith. Do you remember his "stone in the shoe" idea? Often, we only have opportunity to "put a stone in someone's shoe," to offer them a small provocation to rethink their perspective on God, reality and themselves. Only relatively rarely do we "hit a home run" in evangelism, bringing a person to a saving faith in Christ in our first evangelistic exchange with them. It's really up to God what He will do through us. But we ought always to be prepared and willing to share the life-saving Gospel with the lost.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟745,363.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

With face-to-face witnessing, there is always a learning stage, where we learn about God. Learn about His nature. We should not be trying to use a method, but rather let God minister to people by His Spirit.

Mark 10:19-20 But when someone arrests you, don't worry about what you will say or how you will say it. At that time you will be given the words to say. But you will not really be the one speaking. The Spirit from your Father will tell you what to say.

It is important to learn about what salvation is, and how it applies to people. Then when we witness we should "go with our gut", or let the Holy Spirit lead the conversation. We should be trying to get information across about God, but wrapped in God's love for the person.

Some people we witness to don't need to know the gospel at that moment, they may already have the knowledge. As an example one time I was out witnessing, and I met a guy, I felt to ask him "Are you a part of a band?", he said "no", but later mentioned he was part of a church band, I was then able to talk about church and it's importance. God opens up the conversation about spiritual things, as we let him decide the conversation.

People are natural, and God will often start the conversation in a natural way. Don't fear that you can't witness, try just chatting to people first, with the goal of bringing God into the conversation. But don't do it under compulsion, as with giving, "God loves a cheerful giver".

Upvote 0

Brenda Blakely

Apr 26, 2019
Portland
✟29,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Dear missH84,

I am sure God is pleased that it is your desire to share the gospel just as you are. Your testimony and behavior speak loudly of the work of God in your life. You are the Jesus others will see even if you don’t speak a word. Notes are great, scripture verses left about are something God can use to touch another life. There are many online opportunities to share the gospel. Here is a number-855 3682 5433-you can call to help you locate some of those. Ask God to lead you, He is faithful to hear your prayers and will provide what you need. I am so excited for you. Who knows what ministry opportunity God will provide. Wow. God bless you, I am joining you in prayer. Feel free to share what God shows you.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟903,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Some people have that gift to evangelize and some don’t. I have a friend in my Bible study group that I really admire for his courage to go up to anyone, anywhere, at any time and witness to them. Personally I don’t have this gift and I wish I did. I’m more of a strike if the iron is hot kind of person where I will bring up the conversation if it pertains to the discussion or situation at hand but I don’t usually bring it up out of thin air so to speak.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MissH84

Jan 12, 2019
London
✟23,868.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Haven't read it but heard about it.

I think it's something you have to find out, what way fits you best sharing the gospel. Hiding Bible verses here and there is one way. I think it's important you find a way you enjoy, so you don't do it just because you have to and it becomes a burden. Other ways to share the gospel is wearing a t-shirt or some other clothing with the gospel message. If you enjoy writing, you can write Christian essays or poems with the gospel message in there and share it with others. If you can sing or play an instrument you can share your Christian songs in a way you are comfortable with. If you like painting, paint Christian motives and put them on a blog or webpage, or just hand out pictures of your paintings. There are many ways to do it.

I definitely don't wanna do it because I have to, I want to do it because I want to. It shouldn't be a burden.

Upvote 0

MissH84

Jan 12, 2019
London
✟23,868.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
This has been a difficult issue for me as well. Just as with a human body, not all parts of the body of Christ are called to the same thing. Some are mouths, some are ears, some are guts and bones and skin cells.
You are not denying God's good news. If you are seeking to live in communion with God, trusting to Christ for your salvation, and responsive to the Holy Spirit, that is enough. If you truly feel led, not guilted, to share the message more "vocally" take some of the examples listed above for spreading a witness more in line with the gifts God has given you.

You're right I guess I "assumed" that the word of God should be preached vocally otherwise it's like being ashamed of it or something.

Upvote 0

Kettriken

Feb 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
✟41,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
You're right I guess I "assumed" that the word of God should be preached vocally otherwise it's like being ashamed of it or something.

Being Anabaptist we have a long history of being known as "the quiet in the land." We had been heavily persecuted by the church-state in Europe during the reformation and part of the respite we were granted involved not actively evangelizing. For a long time I was uncertain about this paradigm, believing as you did that not prominently preaching was a sort of cop out.
What truly convinced me of the power of the silent witness was the aftermath of a shooting that happened in an Amish school house. The grace and forgiveness they showed, coupled with how far that message traveled based on their long years of reputable, faithful living was powerful to behold. They are sinners like the rest of us, but it is clear that they serve a unique and meaningful role in the body of Christ.

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

MissH84

Jan 12, 2019
London
✟23,868.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Being Anabaptist we have a long history of being known as "the quiet in the land." We had been heavily persecuted by the church-state in Europe during the reformation and part of the respite we were granted involved not actively evangelizing. For a long time I was uncertain about this paradigm, believing as you did that not prominently preaching was a sort of cop out.
What truly convinced me of the power of the silent witness was the aftermath of a shooting that happened in an Amish school house. The grace and forgiveness they showed, coupled with how far that message traveled based on their long years of reputable, faithful living was powerful to behold. They are sinners like the rest of us, but it is clear that they serve a unique and meaningful role in the body of Christ.

I googled it because I wasn't familiar with the incident and I assume you mean the West Nickel Mines shooting. I read it and it's amazing how they acted afterwards, not everyone would've been that forgiving.

• Agree
Reactions: Kettriken
Upvote 0