How to decide on career path?

guitarintro

Jul 5, 2008
✟8,444.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How do you know what career God wants you to pursue?

I am currently working in insurance and would like to change careers. I am planning to go back to school for something more technical, but still have trouble deciding which program. I am a creative individual who would like to have autonomy in my work. I also want to make a difference in people's' lives.

I am thinking about mechanical engineering as I have always been quite creative and enjoy building things.

I have also thought about law or accounting. Just a lot of choices.

BFine

Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I based it in on my God-given abilities-- and it was also
scripturally sound.
Meaning my job/career wasn't ungodly/sinful or illegal etc.
..I worked as a caregiver/CNA...funny thing is, I'm still doing that
type of job-- by being on of the Pastoral Care team at church.

Upvote 0

ALoveDivine

Saved By Grace
Jun 25, 2010
Detroit, MI
✟11,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think God much cares what specific career you have, unless you notice some very strong and specific calling from him. There are two points to consider however.

Is this career consistent with the ethical standard God has set for me, and can I reflect Christian character in my life through practicing this career?

And..

Will I serve my employer with all due diligence and reverence, with good cheer, as unto the Lord? Or will I, as the employer, treat my employees with grace, kindness, and respect, knowing that I myself have a master in heaven?

If you can answer yes to both of those questions, then whatever career you are embracing is within the will of God.

Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I made a choice and I stuck with it to the bitter end. Then I got a job that pays well. Not so many people are that lucky. Many don't stick with their choice and waste time, or they stick with it and the end is a job they don't like that doesn't pay so much.

Shadow people at their jobs to see if it seems interesting to you. When you find a fit then go for it and don't look back until you're where you want to be.

Upvote 0

ezeric

HE loves me too.
Mar 2, 2010
Canada but really in JESUS! (in HIS Covenant)
Visit site
✟12,835.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pursue those GOD given talents and what brings you joy, so that you are not working for money (per se) but working out of the joy of it all.
(some folks find this easily, others its a work…I know).

Don't discard thinking larger/bigger than your current thoughts.
Like, owning your own company or creating a new technology or 'way' that something is done.

Lastly, making a difference in others lives happens whatever you do, as you are part of a priesthood (we all are) right now, so we encourage and love and share our testimony whenever and however GOD sets these 'divine appointments' up. You've had some of these I imagine already! Just be 'open' to SPIRIT leading you into more GRACE Opportunities.

Most people at the end of their lives wondered why they didn't take more chances in life.
Scriptures say "Cast your bread upon the waters".
Saying all that, I balance all that out with hearing DADS (FATHER/GOD) voice in all things.

-eric

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Mechanical engineering is very theoretical these days, so look at the related programs. Mech Eng Tech is slightly more hands-on. Shorter programs in Mech Tech or Machining, allow you to work with 3D printers, drill presses, lathes -- the equipment end of it. Tool and Die.

Look at your community college programs -- they often have training without all the general studies requirements, but still real credit that can transfer to other schools. Talk to someone there; once in a while a program will be sponsored by a group that needs employees, and will provide assistance.

Here in the US, we also have programs through high schools or townships, sometimes for adults -- where training is provided that sometimes leads to more school or jobs. High-tech research teams need technicians trained to run the equipment.

And apprenticeships/internships, which you could do at night while you keep your job.

Sometimes the hands-on jobs pay a lot more than you'd expect, especially when they are unionized. Look into some companies, sit down in interviews with employers and ask them what you'd still need to work for them.

I have known people who worked in plastics and tool&die who loved the autonomy within the team. Some would even go in after hours to keep working. I know one who makes his own precision tools from precision tools, at home.

Upvote 0

guitarintro

Jul 5, 2008
✟8,444.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for the good responses. I do agree you can help people in any career.

Accounting is something I have been going back and forth over the past few years. I like the predictable 9-5 mon to Friday job. I don't think the repetitiveness is a big deal as I prefer predictability. Further I think you can have autonomy or start your own practice one day. I can also complete accounting diploma is 1 year due to my previous degree.

But then there are careers like engineering design that get me interested as well. Only problem is the length of time for engineering is 4 years. I'll be close to 32 before I start my career. I don't mind if it's something I really want to do, but I am not sure. I am somewhat am fearful of the decision because of getting into the wrong field.

Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the good responses. I do agree you can help people in any career...

I was a young man in the US Marines stationed in the Mojave desert cleaning vehicles all day some days. Every few hours a gust of wind would blow sand and dust all over what we had cleaned. It was a futile job meant to keep us busy. If war happened we would be called up to kill people and break things. It was during that time that I realized my job wasn't something I thought was meaningful and worthwhile in the long term. From that point I worked to get a different job and succeeded.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hmm since you do insurance..accounting is kind of related. But one of my cousins did accounting for years then quit I think he found it too boring. actually I know quite a few who feel the same way. You've got to love Excel spreadsheets I guess.
However, small businesses always need accountants to help them.

Engineers are in great demand, especially marine engineers..well, OM says they need them for their ship, the Logos.

I watched the movie To Sir with Love the other night. What about teaching? You can make such a difference in peoples lives and it can be creative. I think teaching home economics would be fun. You could maybe teach something like woodwork or metalwork. I don't know if schools still do that these days but its something I enjoyed learning.

Upvote 0

Paul01

Sinner
Jan 29, 2013
Missouri
✟9,305.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...I am thinking about mechanical engineering as I have always been quite creative and enjoy building things...

I have done almost no building of things, and I would say only a very limited amount of "creative" designing during my 20 years as an engineer. It's a demading field that pays well, and you will be surrounded by some very bright people. But I wouldn't get in it thinking you were going to stretch your creative muscles regularly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
In the US, engineering takes 5 years with co-ops, and sometimes longer.

The familiar CPA small accounting biz has the pre-tax frenzy, so it's not as predictable as in-house accountants within large corporations, hospitals and schools.
I can also complete accounting diploma is 1 year due to my previous degree.
Do you have a business degree now? Accounting coursework expires, so make sure that once you begin, you are able to finish in reasonable time.

There are related topics like finance, data analysis, actuary consulting (which ties in with insurance), behavioral economics....

Upvote 0

guitarintro

Jul 5, 2008
✟8,444.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Regarding the engineering post, I did a bit more research and realized it's not something for me due to the length of the program and also the lack of consistent creativity. If anything, architecture may be a better fit.

As for accounting, I did speak with a few advisors at my local schools, and they said I can do it within a year. I like the fact that you can apply accounting in any industry, so I can apply to a creative industry, like music or something.

Teaching, I have considered overseas, but not as a career.

So I guess it's between architecture vs accounting for me.

Anyone have direct experience in either field?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Regarding the engineering post, I did a bit more research and realized it's not something for me due to the length of the program and also the lack of consistent creativity. If anything, architecture may be a better fit.

As for accounting, I did speak with a few advisors at my local schools, and they said I can do it within a year. I like the fact that you can apply accounting in any industry, so I can apply to a creative industry, like music or something.

Teaching, I have considered overseas, but not as a career.

So I guess it's between architecture vs accounting for me.

Anyone have direct experience in either field?

They're two of the most difficult and demanding college majors you could choose. I also don't know what kind of accounting expertise can be had in only a year. Bookkeeper perhaps.

Upvote 0

guitarintro

Jul 5, 2008
✟8,444.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They're two of the most difficult and demanding college majors you could choose. I also don't know what kind of accounting expertise can be had in only a year. Bookkeeper perhaps.

As mentioned earlier, I already have a previous degree that will allow me to transfer credits to their 4 year Accounting Degree. I already spoke with the Program Advisor. Thus, I can be put in advanced placement.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
As mentioned earlier, I already have a previous degree that will allow me to transfer credits to their 4 year Accounting Degree. I already spoke with the Program Advisor. Thus, I can be put in advanced placement.

Ah. I'm glad you reiterated that, because I had missed it somewhere along the line and couldn't quite put the pieces of your thinking in place. I

I will say again, FWIW, that architecture I know to be a stupendously demanding (and expensive) major that would flatten most people, and there's no substitute for making it all the way through. If you're leaning towards accounting, perhaps this doesn't matter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

guitarintro

Jul 5, 2008
✟8,444.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How does God lead you to a career? Should you be at peace with the decision? I keep going back and forth with my career choices that it's making me anxious. One day I don't want to do accounting and another day I want to go back to do design related work, like engineering or computer science.

Accounting 1 I tried a course in 2009 and then withdrew after 3 weeks because working 40 hours and school was tough for me.

In 2012 I took a course in accounting at a different college because I was only working part-time but then I fell asleep in week 3 and withdrew in week 4 after getting bored.

Is accounting what God wants me to do? How do I discern?

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It doesn't sound like its what you want to do or what God wants you to do.

God wouldn't let you go back and forth like that making you confused.
Yes, you need to be at peace with a decision and have no doubts.

As with everything there are learning curves in life. But the Bible says He will make our paths straight. It could be you are not on the right path yet. It may take some while to get there. But once you know, the way is straight ahead, no turning back.

Don't worry so much, he will show you, step by step. Keep walking with Him. Spend time, asking, what is it you would like me to do God? How can I serve you? I want to be close to you. For what part of your body did you create me for? Spend time sitting at Jesus feet, asking him to be your business mentor/life coach. And enjoy the journey.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How do you know what career God wants you to pursue?

I am currently working in insurance and would like to change careers. I am planning to go back to school for something more technical, but still have trouble deciding which program. I am a creative individual who would like to have autonomy in my work. I also want to make a difference in people's' lives.

I am thinking about mechanical engineering as I have always been quite creative and enjoy building things.

I have also thought about law or accounting. Just a lot of choices.

Mechanical engineering does involve a fair bit of mathematics, but perhaps that's OK.

I'd start with doing a lot of research on job opportunities and on the nature of work in those various fields. I'd also strongly recommend this book:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
How does God lead you to a career? Should you be at peace with the decision? I keep going back and forth with my career choices that it's making me anxious. One day I don't want to do accounting and another day I want to go back to do design related work, like engineering or computer science.

Accounting 1 I tried a course in 2009 and then withdrew after 3 weeks because working 40 hours and school was tough for me.

In 2012 I took a course in accounting at a different college because I was only working part-time but then I fell asleep in week 3 and withdrew in week 4 after getting bored.

Is accounting what God wants me to do? How do I discern?

It's common for people to be indecisive about which of several career paths to choose, so I don't think you're facing something rare or that God necessarily has one of these in mind for you. But as for accounting, it doesn't sound like it's your heart's desire from what you've written here, so the question might be "Would being able to finish up in only a year and change jobs as a result of that outweigh all other considerations?"

Upvote 0

guitarintro

Jul 5, 2008
✟8,444.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It doesn't sound like its what you want to do or what God wants you to do.

God wouldn't let you go back and forth like that making you confused.
Yes, you need to be at peace with a decision and have no doubts.

As with everything there are learning curves in life. But the Bible says He will make our paths straight. It could be you are not on the right path yet. It may take some while to get there. But once you know, the way is straight ahead, no turning back.

Don't worry so much, he will show you, step by step. Keep walking with Him. Spend time, asking, what is it you would like me to do God? How can I serve you? I want to be close to you. For what part of your body did you create me for? Spend time sitting at Jesus feet, asking him to be your business mentor/life coach. And enjoy the journey.

That was my initial thought. I am starting to doubt accounting and I've already registered for "Accounting 1" again which starts at the end of this week. This time it's distance, so I don't have to commit to campus.

But why do I keep going back?

Mechanical engineering does involve a fair bit of mathematics, but perhaps that's OK.

I'd start with doing a lot of research on job opportunities and on the nature of work in those various fields. I'd also strongly recommend this book:

I actually bought the book and read it a couple months ago. It wasn't bad, but didn't feel it was extremely helpful. I did a lot of research online on different careers, so a lot of information I already read before.

I've also spent a lot of time reading up on different careers including education requirements, time required, industries, and day in life videos. Talking to my Pastor and also talking to different people in their fields and seeing if I'll like it.

It's common for people to be indecisive about which of several career paths to choose, so I don't think you're facing something rare or that God necessarily has one of these in mind for you. But as for accounting, it doesn't sound like it's your heart's desire from what you've written here, so the question might be "Would being able to finish up in only a year and change jobs as a result of that outweigh all other considerations?"

I've been asking myself about this lately. In order for me to be an accountant, I have to take about 12-15 courses of prerequisites first. And then find an accounting job and apply for the CPA program (here in Canada) which is a 2-3 year program including work experience and study time. If I start now, it'll still take me about 4+ years to become a full fledged accountant. That got my thinking, is this even what I want to do?

I have always been interested in designing and building things. I consider myself very creative and enjoy autonomy (thus my username). It feels like an engineering or computer science discipline may be more suited for me and it'll take the same amount of time, or maybe even less. At the end of the day, I want to be able to use my career choice to help people, which is why engineering seems like a good idea. Building stuff for people to make their lives easier.

Should I just completely move on from accounting? I just don't want to regret my decision 10 years into my career later...

Upvote 0