San Jose, CA
✟7,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This has been eating at me all morning...

My minister's wife pulled my wife aside in church last Sunday and told her my hair was too long and that I should cut it. She even took it a step further and told her I looked like a gigolo. Of course, she told her not to tell me this, but my wife is originally from Mexico and although she speaks English rather fluently, she'd never heard that word before or knew its meaning. So when she asked me what it meant this morning as we were getting ready for work, I gave her the dictionary term and asked why she wanted to know.

At first I laughed and shrugged it off. Months prior to this, another couple of sisters had approached her and asked if she had given me permission to let my hair grow out. Permission? Again, it was something I just laughed about to myself.

I am familiar with 1 Cor. 11:14. I am also familiar with Absalom, John The Baptist and Samson. Back in the 80's I purposely cut my hair as to not be offensive in a different CoC congregation. Quite plainly, my hair grows like a weed, so now and again (throughout my entire 44 years), I just let it grow. And we're talking shoulders length, not heavy metal headbanging long. I don't have some sort of rebellious agenda. I'm not trying to shame the church or..."prostitute" myself. In first century Corinth, I could understand this being the case. But in a church where women have hair as short as the mens', no one stops their husbands to demand that they grow their hair longer because it looks bad. *sigh*

My minister is also a good friend. I'm actually supposed to have lunch with him today. Should I express my disappointment to him? Should I just pray on it and drop it? Should I go get a haircut instead?

Input. I need input. Any is appreciated. God Bless.

Last edited:

notreligus

Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2006
✟97,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom

My minister's wife pulled my wife aside in church last Sunday and told her my hair was too long and that I should cut it. She even took it a step further and told her I looked like a gigolo. Of course, she told her not to tell me this, but my wife is originally from Mexico and although she speaks English rather fluently, she'd never heard that word before or knew its meaning. So when she asked me what it meant this morning as we were getting ready for work, I gave her the dictionary term and asked why she wanted to know.

At first I laughed and shrugged it off. Months prior to this, another couple of sisters had approached her and asked if she had given me permission to let my hair grow out. Permission? Again, it was something I just laughed about to myself.

I am familiar with 1 Cor. 11:14. I am also familiar with Absalom, John The Baptist and Samson. Back in the 80's I purposely cut my hair as to not be offensive in a different CoC congregation. Quite plainly, my hair grows like a weed, so now and again (throughout my entire 44 years), I just let it grow. And we're talking shoulders length, not heavy metal headbanging long. I don't have some sort of rebellious agenda. I'm not trying to shame the church or..."prostitute" myself. In first century Corinth, I could understand this being the case. But in a church where women have hair as short as the mens', no one stops their husbands to demand that they grow their hair longer because it looks bad. *sigh*

My minister is also a good friend. I'm actually supposed to have lunch with him today. Should I express my disappointment to him? Should I just pray on it and drop it? Should I go get a haircut instead?

I just can't resist. Maybe the minister's wife meant that you look like Fabio. :p

Don't sweat it. If you don't feel a personal conviction about this that somehow you're being a stumbling block to somebody - and I don't know how that could be - follow your heart.

Upvote 0

Trailltrader

May 26, 2013
Lakewood, WA
✟14,883.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, I'm no expert on human relations by any means but consider this; if this ministers wife doesn't shut up the church will lose the supporters who pays the bills and then her meal ticket will be unemployed.

But then again I'm kinda weird this way- I'd print off every one's responses, and give them to your friend and circle my response with a "red sharpie" and then let him deal with his wife.

Upvote 0

I_Go_Sir

Jan 24, 2011
San Jose, CA
✟7,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for all the feedback, folks. It's an unfortunate situation because I really thought this was a woman our family could trust in. She's obviously not all that she seems. My instinct is to forgive, but it already feels weird when we see her in church. And I know my friend would have a serious problem with his wife if he knew what she said, so it's almost in everyone's best interest if we keep it to ourselves and keep praying for her. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Trailltrader

May 26, 2013
Lakewood, WA
✟14,883.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
WOW Talk about dicouragement. Looks like youve got own of those think they can judge because they have a supposed autoritive say. Ignore it!!! You are who you are and God accepts you any way you want to look. Dont say nothing and let God handle her.

OK, I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything but I'm curious. Burke wrote that "Evil abounds when good men do nothing". So what is the criteria you use between praying and watching, and being proactive to prevent rot in the Church from expanding?

Consider- if the Senior Priests in the Catholic Church had stood up in the 1960's, 1970's, and 1980's and put their foot down over some of the sexual predators in their midst's they wouldn't have been sued for hundreds of millions of dollars and far less people would have gone to jail- besides avoiding a black eye on the Catholic Church.

So I'm asking where do you draw the line? I don't know- but it seems you have some kind of an idea and I'd like to know for my own edification. Thank You- Larry:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kairu

Jul 22, 2013
✟15,244.00
Faith
Christian
Thanks for all the feedback, folks. It's an unfortunate situation because I really thought this was a woman our family could trust in. She's obviously not all that she seems. My instinct is to forgive, but it already feels weird when we see her in church. And I know my friend would have a serious problem with his wife if he knew what she said, so it's almost in everyone's best interest if we keep it to ourselves and keep praying for her. Thanks!
I used to have a very long hair as well (female). My mother find it unsightly because its too heavy for my head aside that my hair is rather thick. When I decide to cut my hair in decent length, then the people said my hair is way better than the last time and saying 'its not looking good on me'. Im a bit surprised with their comment because.. why didn't they told me about it? I guess its all about hushing whats not good thing.

Yea, you can only do for her is to pray and hoping she will change in God's due time and in the name of Jesus. (since we are the 'new specimens in Christ') : )

Upvote 0

Gozreht

Jun 25, 2011
USA
Visit site
✟1,114.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Support your wife. She is your image. Her feelings are yours. If this hurt her, just remind her that people have opinions and some people sometimes overstep their boundaries. Remind her how beautiful she is.

But if the minister's wife starts to basically taunt her and harrass her then you need to go to the minister in a loving way and explain how her feelings are hurt. This conversation may be hard to have and it may end up with a break from the congregation but as the Church is the Bride of Christ, she is yours.

Upvote 0

XB3LI3V3RX

Animal Lover
May 8, 2013
Tennessee
✟16,341.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I_Go_Sir said:

I have hair like how you described, and I get insults for it all the time. I would just say keep your hair how it makes YOU happy, not what other people think. I would pray for her though that she will see her wrong, and maybe she will even apologize to you even when she thinks you don't know.

°«Creatio ex nihilo»°

Upvote 0