How the Shroud of Turin could have been faked...

• Thread starter 2Cosmic2Charlie
  • Start date

AngelicRose

Aug 21, 2009
✟15,537.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well I'd also like (as a fellow science person) to personally see how this person came up with the process and how closely his product is to the original.

(Mind you, I didn't have faith in the original shroud because of how the face looks-- it would have to show up much wider than a normal face looks. But if it helps bring others to faith and they begin to believe in true things, then I really don't mind.)

Has the Church said anything about this shroud?

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Interesting. I read this yesterday on some news site. The Shroud is not declared miraculous and is not in the league of the Tilma.

I am interested to read a paper if one is going to be publicly available. I am sure there will be a pretty negative reaction from some.

Upvote 0

2Cosmic2Charlie

Interesting. I read this yesterday on some news site. The Shroud is not declared miraculous and is not in the league of the Tilma.

I am interested to read a paper if one is going to be publicly available. I am sure there will be a pretty negative reaction from some.

Personally, I'm kind of happy the process is as easy as it turned out to be.

I knew the negative image wasn't the hard part to emulate, I kind of figured that was a co-incidence of the manufacture of the shroud.

I problem was the actual transfer of the image to the cloth. I was afraid it was going to require killing someone has having them partially decompose in the cloth itself.

A simple pigment transfer is a much nicer way to fake a relic.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hmm--How do they explain the fact that the Shroud's "sister cloth", the Sudarium of Oviedo, though separated from the Shroud over the years, matches the blood stains of the shroud (and the blood type), yet has a more complete history from the fact of extinct pollen from all the different areas of it's travels is present on the fabric to the historical records of it being handed off from one place to another, and is considered authentic? No, nothing truly memorable about the Sudarium. No negative image that that would require the invention of the x-ray to study. Just some barely visible blood splotches on a piece of old cloth. However the cloth was mentioned in the Biblical account and there's that history.

More on the Sudarium:
http://www.shroud.com/guscin.htm

Upvote 0

Tigg

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2007
✟17,774.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
.... I keep telling people that the process was manmade somehow and this is how.....

The image is NOT necessarily a miracle.

And could have been made using 14th century technology.

Shroud of Turin replica proves medieval techniques could make relic, say scientists | Mail Online

TY for posting the article. The Shroud is/was the only one I came to believe in - the image of someone crucified - not Christ. But from all my reading, I eventually came to believe that it was authentic - till the DNA testing. Then the reports of wrong testing yadah etc. Made me wonder how the DNA could be wrong. This report is the final nail - whoops - bad choice of word perhaps. :D

Anyhow's ty for the update.

God bless...

EDIT: Not DNA but Carbon Dating. TY InTheCloud.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rahmiyn

Glad to be here :)
Mar 24, 2009
Florida
✟9,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
I thought they were never able to prove actual blood (and definitely not a type of human origin.) Do you have a source link on this? I've read several books on the Shroud of Turin, and the most recent evaluations finally left me believing it was a hoax.

That was a sad day, but then I felt relieved that I was released from what bordered on reverence for an image (which does go against God's commandments.)

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Do you have a source link on this?

Think if you follow that link I gave to former screens, that there are several tests taken--and one shows the blood to be AB like the Shroud and the Miracle of the Eucharist, Lanciano.

And here's another link mentioning blood type on the first screen. It was found that the blood type is AB, like that of the Shroud and the Miracle of the Eucharist, Lanciano.

The Sudarium, the Face-Cloth of Christ

Reactions: MariaRegina
Upvote 0

catzrfluffy

i come bearing .gifs
Sep 4, 2009
palisades park
✟22,445.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
the website about the shroud says that the fabric on which the image is, is that way because the saccharides and starches on it have caramelised, this layer is less than a 100th of a hair's-width thick. The scientist who has done this experiment in the newspaper clearly hasn't researched it properly. There is no trace of red ochre on the shroud, the first carbon tests that gave a medieval result were done on fabric strands that had been used to repair the cloth in the middle ages, they were dyed using madder to match the original cloth, tests showed which threads were used for repair, the carbon tests were accurate, but the wrong part of the shroud was dated.
The image isn't dyed on, I think people jump on evidence supposedly 'disproving' things too quickly. See Shroud of Turin Story Guide to the Facts 2008
it may or may not be true, but take all things into consideration, the daily mail isn't really considered the 'baton of all truth'

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟445,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Anyone can make an image....

BUT the question is - can anyone make a negative image that shows depth when put into a machine that studies 3 dimension?

How about the Quantum physics and how it shows the actual Resurrection transpired in the cloth?

Hmmmm??

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Think if you follow that link I gave to former screens, that there are several tests taken--and one shows the blood to be AB like the Shroud and the Miracle of the Eucharist, Lanciano.

And here's another link mentioning blood type on the first screen. It was found that the blood type is AB, like that of the Shroud and the Miracle of the Eucharist, Lanciano.

The Sudarium, the Face-Cloth of Christ

In fact all verified Eucharist miracles share the same blood type. This includes all the ones from before anyone knew about blood typing, that would be a really odd coincidence if faked. If I am not mistaken recent tests on some Eucharistic miracles also show that the blood in all of them is not only the same type but from the same person.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tigg

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2007
✟17,774.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Not DNA, is Carbon Dating.

It measures the age. I always though it was a work of art because the Jesus there looks too medieval.

Gazooks! :sorry: What was I thinking. You are obviously correct. Will edit my post. TY for the obvious correction. Now crawling off --------------right exit----------->

Upvote 0