Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
This kind of is to be expected now. I've been paying attention to far right media since you had get newsletters mailed to you and you could buy hour long videos on VHS through the mail.

There's plenty of CTs embraced by the left, but this will lead back to Epoch Times. The rise of thought leaders who get their audience to read their newspapers through an End Times lens doubtless predated Late Great Planet Earth in the 70s, it set the tone for the next 50 years. As more Christians, especially evangelical and fundamentalist ones who tended to be politically conservative, every event of consequence was seen as a sign.

Jack Van Impe rise to prominence in 80s and the 90s they was a hey day of militias, writers like Texe Marrs and shows like The Prophecy Club. All deeply streeped in conspiratorial thinking and looking to a future battle against a demonic world government.

Y2K never happening and 9/11 briefly took the air out of the conspiracists, but then came Alex Jones who almost 20 years later would be in communication with Presidential advisers on J6. This time frame coincides with the publication of the Left Behind Series starting in 1995.

By 2008 a large portion of right leaning folks embraced Obama birth conspiracy theories many of which still fester to this day. 2016 and Hilary wraps nicely back to the early 1990s and the Clinton Chronicles/Clinton Body Count which, of course, still is being pushed to this day.

Finally there was the embrace of Q, mostly by right leaning individuals, and anti-vax/plandemic which probably was majority right leaning.

All of this is a 50 year interconnected web of political CTs and eschatology that has informed many conservative weltanschauungs so it's no wonder that Epoch Times and Post Millennial should be enbraced by them. It's who they are.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Jack Van Impe rise to prominence in 80s and the 90s

Ugh...now there's a name I was happier not remembering! What is it with these Evangelical weirdos named Jack and conspiracy theories? At least Jack Chick put his crazy conspiracy nonsense into cartoon form, thereby making it at least slightly palatable on aesthetic grounds to other weirdos who like kitschy weirdness, but don't care about having a new fauxpocalypse every few years.

• Agree
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Ugh...now there's a name I was happier not remembering! What is it with these Evangelical weirdos named Jack and conspiracy theories? At least Jack Chick put his crazy conspiracy nonsense into cartoon form, thereby making it at least slightly palatable on aesthetic grounds to other weirdos who like kitschy weirdness, but don't care about having a new fauxpocalypse every few years.
Jack had that slab of granite hair that so many preachers have. At least Rexella had a sensible, if voluminous, do and tasteful makeup instead of the cotton candy of Jan Crouch and pancake Tammy Faye Baker.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Jack had that slab of granite hair that so many preachers have. At least Rexella had a sensible, if voluminous, do and tasteful makeup instead of the cotton candy of Jan Crouch and pancake Tammy Faye Baker.
Which “Jack”?
(I’m assuming you meant Jack Van Impe, because I don!t think I’ve even seen a picture of Jack Chick.)

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Which “Jack”?
(I’m assuming you meant Jack Van Impe, because I don!t think I’ve even seen a picture of Jack Chick.)
Sorry about the vagueness. I thought my reference to Rexella would make it clear I meant Van Impe.

Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0