original3

Hello :)
Jul 22, 2005
✟8,561.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In the modesty thread there is a lot of talk about headscarves. I am wondering, when a woman goes into church, how should she be wearing the headscarf?
Just covering the hair? Is that enough or should we wear the headscarf covering as much as possible *like the muslim hijab, covering the back and the neck*.

I am just wondering. I think that having the headscarf in a kind of snood style is a little pointless, as it is showing the back of your neck too.

I would appreciate some female replies here :D

Blessings x

Tsarina

Most Holy Theotokos save us!
Aug 13, 2005
Who wants to know?
Visit site
✟6,523.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Most of your hair should be covered. I wear my head scarf like a Muslim when i go to church, lols. A lot of other women wear it tied in the back of their head with their neck exposed, that's okay too.

As long as most of your hair is covered, than your good to go. :)

Upvote 0

DarkNLovely

Dark am I, yet lovely.....Song of Songs 1:5
Jul 25, 2007
Where da party at!
✟18,913.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hey!
I don't belive it matters. I think so long as there is something there it's fine. Even a little hair hanging out is fine. In the Black American traditon, many woman, especially older women, wear big fancy hats with nice hair styles underneath. It's the wilingness and devotion to propriety in worship that matters. But do as the Spirit leads you!

Reactions: JolieHeart
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DarkNLovely

Dark am I, yet lovely.....Song of Songs 1:5
Jul 25, 2007
Where da party at!
✟18,913.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Justin!
And don't forget cramps, and stretch marks, and the pain of that life coming out of you, and of course the little voice in the back of your mind saying, "I don't care what he said! He did think I looked fat in that headscarf! WAA!"

Upvote 0

original3

Jul 22, 2005
✟8,561.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Justin!
And don't forget cramps, and stretch marks, and the pain of that life coming out of you, and of course the little voice in the back of your mind saying, "I don't care what he said! He did think I looked fat in that headscarf! WAA!"

Now that you say that, I think we are lucky to be female! ;)

Upvote 0

original3

Jul 22, 2005
✟8,561.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I know that the headscarf isn't ment to be worn totally for modesty purposes, but I was under the impression that the headscarf would be a sign of modesty to anyone. I was just asking whether people would think it was necessary to cover the back of the neck with the scarf as well or just to cover the hair.

Upvote 0

Orthosdoxa

Happy wife and mommy
Feb 11, 2003
nowhere
✟24,016.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think one can get too legalistic about it, too. (Not saying you are, just a general note.) I was involved in a cult my sophomore year of college... only about two months, and it was HARD to escape them... it started out innocent enough, a Bible study was open to all students, so I thought hey, what the heck, and they sucked me in from there. Anyway, they were ridiculous about head coverings, getting angry if any hair was hanging out the bottom or whatnot.

I just wear it as I wear it, sometimes neck showing, sometimes not. Trying to follow the Spirit of the Law and not the Letter of the Law, which, as sadly can be seen on this board, can get people into trouble...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

kamikat

my love is bigger than a cadillac
Apr 22, 2005
Visit site
✟18,459.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know that the headscarf isn't ment to be worn totally for modesty purposes, but I was under the impression that the headscarf would be a sign of modesty to anyone. I was just asking whether people would think it was necessary to cover the back of the neck with the scarf as well or just to cover the hair.

Headcovering isn't about modesty, it is about obedience.
1Cor 11:5
But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.
1Cor 11:10
For this reason, and because of the angels, the woman ought to have a sign of authority on her head.
Here is a good testimony from an Orthodox Christian about head covering.
http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/praxis/headcoverings.aspx

Upvote 0

Monica child of God 1

strives to live eschatologically
Feb 4, 2005
✟9,473.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think one can get too legalistic about it, too. (Not saying you are, just a general note.) I was involved in a cult my sophomore year of college... only about two months, and it was HARD to escape them... it started out innocent enough, a Bible study was open to all students, so I thought hey, what the heck, and they sucked me in from there. Anyway, they were ridiculous about head coverings, getting angry if any hair was hanging out the bottom or whatnot.

I just wear it as I wear it, sometimes neck showing, sometimes not. Trying to follow the Spirit of the Law and not the Letter of the Law, which, as sadly can be seen on this board, can get people into trouble...

Ditto on this.

Legalism is really discouraged in Orthodoxy. If one confesses to being to legalistic in fasting they might be told not to fast at all for a few months.

That is why I stopped with the covering and extreme modesty when I became Orthodox. I really did not want to be fundie or cultish or critical of anyone.

M.

Upvote 0

kamikat

my love is bigger than a cadillac
Apr 22, 2005
Visit site
✟18,459.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Legalism is really discouraged in Orthodoxy. If one confesses to being to legalistic in fasting they might be told not to fast at all for a few months.

That is why I stopped with the covering and extreme modesty when I became Orthodox. I really did not want to be fundie or cultish or critical of anyone.

M.

Me, too! Plus, my priest does not encourage headcovering.

Upvote 0

hungrytiger

I don't know what I'm talking about.
Feb 2, 2006
✟1,421.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.