Texas
✟12,056.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When did you let your kids start going to the mall w/o an adult? Did you require a group or could they go with just one friend?

My daughter is starting high school in 3 days and she is wanting to go to the mall with a friend. No adults. This makes me incrediblly nervous. I didn't start going w/o a parent till close to the end of my first yr of high school and things were way simpliar than now.

I was thinking letting her go to one in a nicer neighborhood but had to have at least a group of 4-5 friends. Of course she thinks I am crazy.

Linnis

Legend
Jun 27, 2005
✟30,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I started going to the mall alone with a group of friends when I started high school. With eachother I'm sure they'll be fine. With the one friend, they won't want to seperate.

Maybe for her first time you can drop them off and then pick them up 3 hours later. If they handle that, then next time you can let them take the bus but pick them up then the follow time bus both ways. You know work up to it? Which I think is as much for mummy as your daughter. ;)

Upvote 0

tp65

Mar 19, 2006
✟17,404.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I let my daughter go when she started high school. The first time I went too but did not stay with them, we met back up later. Then dropped the two of them off and went back after them. I had to agree to which mall, they had to have a reason for going (new shirt, jeans, etc) and they had to stay together. It was never a problem. Now that she is 17 she goes when she wants but still always with a friend...now it is the parking lot I most worry about. We never stop worrying they just change what we have to worry about!

Upvote 0

Christianmom1968

Jun 19, 2006
Washington
✟8,726.00
Faith
Christian
My children are 14 and 13 and I still don't let them hang out at the mall by themselves. They both have cell phones and I will let them look around on their own but we call each other and meet at predetermined times.

I don't like the idea of kids just hanging out at the mall.

Upvote 0

icbeckyc

Mar 9, 2006
Texas
✟12,056.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
tp65 said:
We never stop worrying they just change what we have to worry about!

:amen:

Well I let her go and it seems like everyone made it back alive.:thumbsup: I did make the rule of only 2 hours and she had to call when the other mom got there to pick the girls up.

Upvote 0

icbeckyc

Mar 9, 2006
Texas
✟12,056.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
sreno7 said:
I don't like the idea of hanging out but if they have a purpose I guess it is OK, my daugher just turned 15 and I just allowed it a couple of months ago and she goes on the bus with a couple of friends who are older.

Honestly I don't think it's the best idea. But really there aren't that many places I would even consider letting her hang and and the mall is one of the few. I would only consider certain malls.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

icbeckyc

Mar 9, 2006
Texas
✟12,056.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So now I have another question. Found out from a friend, ran into my daughter and her 1 friend at the mall. :confused: When I asked my daughter about this she starting making up stuff. Finally got her to admit to the fact that it wasn't 4 of them like I told her it had to be. I am sooo dissappointed right now. :( Needless to say she won't being going to the mall for a while. I haven't given her a time I just said for a very long time. How would you handle it?

Upvote 0

tp65

Mar 19, 2006
✟17,404.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
So now I have another question. Found out from a friend, ran into my daughter and her 1 friend at the mall. :confused: When I asked my daughter about this she starting making up stuff. Finally got her to admit to the fact that it wasn't 4 of them like I told her it had to be. I am sooo dissappointed right now. :( Needless to say she won't being going to the mall for a while. I haven't given her a time I just said for a very long time. How would you handle it?

She lied, end of story. I would do the same as you are doing. The Korean war? That was actually a much safer time in America for kids...kids are vulnerable but don't believe it. My daughter goes to the mall whenever she wants, with a friend...she is 17. My son is 12 and has no interest in the mall, but I still make him take a friend wherever he does go....it's called common sense. As for the number 4, it was the mom's rule. Doesn't have to make sense to a kid...if they want to honor God then they need to honor their parents.

Upvote 0

CFpetRESCUER15

Feb 20, 2006
✟15,959.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It's cause Your parents were TOO OVER PROTECTIVE... like memories from the Korean war and all are attacking them, so they thought the world is crap

Mine? Holly Molly I don't think so. They had strange ideas, but they weren't over protective. lol And I don't think I understand the Korean War point. But that's ok.

Upvote 0