How old were you

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
20 is young. I wouldn't sweat it. I hadn't been in a serious relationship by 20.

Of course, every teenager thinks their relationships are serious.

Anyway, I got married at 27. My wife was 23. If your husband is your first serious relationship, I think that's great. You don't have any old boyfriends to compare him too and no old hurts to worry about. You don't have to wonder do I friend this person on Facebook or not, and it doesn't have to be awkward if you come across some old boyfriend in the mall.

Upvote 0

Cre8iveMom

Jan 3, 2012
✟15,155.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I was 26 when I got married. Our relationship started in Aug when I was 25, we got engaged in Dec, and married in June! It all happened quick! But we will be celebrating our 7th anniversary this June. I also want to let you know he was the first guy I ever dated.

I took the time before God brought me my hubby to make mental notes and lists of the things I was looking for in a spouse and to observe others in relationships around me. (Mostly I learned what I didn't want.) And when we began dating I had so many questions to ask him and I told him exactly what I was looking for. Thankfully, we were both on the same page concerning most of the issues I brought up! He was worth the wait!

Upvote 0

CelticGrace

Legend
Sep 1, 2004
Mesquite, Texas
✟38,987.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I had my first serious relationship when I was 16-19, but that is super-rare. I met my husband when I was 18, started dating when I was 19, got married when I was 21. Again, super-rare.

So I wouldn't sweat it that you haven't been in a serious relationship yet. Most of my friends didn't get into serious relationships 'til sometime in their 20s.

Upvote 0

peckaboo

Jul 11, 2011
England
✟15,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was 25 when I got married. I felt like that was really old, because like you I'd also been worried in my 20s that I wasn't "normal" - I'd always imagined that I'd be married by bout 22! But all my friends were like "wow, you're so young to be getting married!". I think the average age of marriage for women in the UK hit 30 last year - people get married later these days. I wouldn't worry about it :)

Link's point about not having to drag a load of baggage from past boyfriends into your marriage is an excellent one, too.

Upvote 0

full_of_faith

Apr 9, 2006
✟8,554.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When you got married? I am 20 21 in Ang. and have yet to have a serious relationship.
Is this um normal?
I don't think that it is unusual to be 20 and not have a serious relationship. A serious relationship is not something that you need to rush into. For right now, I think going to college/having fun should be your main focus. You have plenty of time to have serious relationships and settle down.

I married my husband 2 months before my 30th birthday and we have been married almost 15 years. He is my best friend, my soulmate, etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Upvote 0

typinggirl

Apr 25, 2012
USA
✟7,612.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I met my husband when we were both 16, got engaged senior year in high school, and got married at 21. That was 11 years ago since we got married. Our story is very rare, though, and there isn't anything wrong with you being 20-21 and not married or in a serious relationship yet. God brings people in our lives when the timing is right. :) Some earlier, some later. Concentrate on your future by going to college and finding a career you will enjoy!

Upvote 0

SiyoNqoba

Jul 14, 2007
New Zealand
✟15,707.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My husband and I started dating when I was 18 (he was 19) and got engaged and married at 21 and 22. To be completely honest, sometimes I wished I'd held off on having a serious relationship for a few more years. Because, even though we weren't married yet, a lot of the decisions I made were influenced by that the fact that I was with him. I absolutely dont regret marrying him, even so young, but yeah... just you aren't missing out. You're just travelling another path.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is no "too old" for first relationships or marriage :) God's timing is rarely our timing! I didn't meet my husband until I was 34 (though I'd had plenty of relationships before that, most of them completely immature and unhealthy).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

gracefulone1980

Give thanks with a grateful heart.
Mar 13, 2011
NY
✟15,355.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I was 23 when I got married. My husband was 22. I don't think there is anything abnormal about your age and not being in a serious relationship. We never know when God will put that person in our life that we were meant to spend our life with.

Upvote 0

Puptart

Live, Laugh, Love.. and adopt a dog :)
May 14, 2012
Port Coquitlam, BC, Canada
✟16,539.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
My husband was 20 when he proposed, 21 when we got married, and I was 25/26 respectively.

As for what is normal or abnormal... I tend not to use those words very often. What's "normal" tends to be very subjective. Everyone's life is different.

Upvote 0
May 17, 2012
✟7,614.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I didn't go on a date until I was almost 19, didn't have my first kiss or boyfriend until I was 28 (yes, you read that correctly! TWENTY-EIGHT!) and got married at 32 (closer to 33). Yes, I was a bit of a late bloomer but I'm fine with that and have no regrets at all and certainly don't feel too old to be married. I loved having my 20s to be single and wouldn't trade it for a thing. Now I look around and think people who are getting married at 25 or 26 are just crazy! :)

Upvote 0
Jun 18, 2012
✟7,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When you got married? I am 20 21 in Ang. and have yet to have a serious relationship.
Is this um normal?

I was 31 when I got married and I don't feel like I got married too late. I think that being single gives us many opportunities to grow and experience that we should enjoy and take advantage of before we get married. I fully enjoyed the freedom to travel, move around, try different jobs while I was single. This all enriched my life experience. Once married and especially once you have kids, your life changes dramatically in many ways. Of course it changes in many GOOD ways but you will not have the same freedom and flexibility that you had when single. There is nothing bad about this, it is just how life works. So my advice is to not sweat it and enjoy the opportunities that you have as a young, single, Christian. You will get married when the time is right.

God bless
JR

Upvote 0