Mar 1, 2008
✟11,767.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Over the years I have been convinced of creation, at least that evolution is not true, that is a conclusion that I have reached after examining the evidence for many years. However, creationists cannot explain how starlight could have reached the earth, in the 6000 years that they quote.

Most people nowadays think that the universe is 13.7 billion years old, and a galaxy has been observed recently which is dated at 13.3 billion light years away, and can only be seen because of the lensing effect; the bending of space. Whatever the age of the universe, it must be very huge, because galaxies are very distant, and light is set at a specific speed, even if it is not fixed.
However, when it comes to the age of the earth, there is a lot of evidence that the earth is young, and so is our solar system. The moon is moving away from the earth, as just one example. I believe there was a global flood, about 4000 years ago, again from examining the evidence. I think the bible is reliable as history, as far as how/where humans originated.

I have been thinking about echolocation insectivorous type bats. They have done studies on a type of bat in Panama, which can echo-locate to such a level of precision, that it can distinguish between different sizes of frogs, to determine roughly the species, and then it does a quick chemical test, to check if the frog is poisonous before eating it.
Bats hunt insects and can also hunt fish, by detecting the ripples on a pond or river surface, and then scoop the fish out with their talons. This is all very sophisticated, and would seem to have been designed for hunting, from the beginning.

Although creationists identify that this was not the product of evolution, they seem to forget that they claim that there was no death, before the fall. But there must have been. It was part of creation from the beginning.
Also, I read that Steve Irwin was killed by a stingray, and they have a venomous spine, which they use to attack victims, suddenly, and are considered by many to be very dangerous and unpredictable. Creationists were saying that the venomous spine was created like that, because God knew that there would be a fall, and they would need to have self-defence. That seems like rubbish to me. It was there from the beginning of creation, and seems to be rather a malevolent feature.

And then there’s the spiders web, which I’ve mentioned before; it must have been an original design to hunt insects, what other use could a web have?
So in my opinion, there was death, right from the beginning. People and animals, before the flood lived a very long time, and grew to very large sizes (not the humans) but then they eventually expired.
Where does it say in the bible that there was no death before the fall? It says that Adam and Eve would die, if they ate the forbidden fruit. I suppose that’s possible, but what about the inevitable overpopulation, if everyone lived forever? Doesn’t make any sense, if you take it literally. I don’t know what the answer is.

How old is the earth? The radiometric dating that they use is proved to be unreliable. The old earthers are relying on this data, and seem to ignore the various proofs that the earth is young, but how could the earth be young, if the universe is old?
A lot of people seem to be convinced that the universe started in the big bang. I don’t believe in a ‘creation’, without God, that is absurd. But maybe the universe was created ex nihilo, from some particular point in space. Although I have read a lot of good evidence that the earth is the centre of the universe… yes, the geocentric model of the universe is still not disproved.

http://creation.com/age-of-the-earth

The Gnostics believed that the creation of the earth was a huge mistake, made by the Demiurge, a god (Yahweh) who thought that he was God Almighty, but wasn’t; he was an emanation from the real God.
I don’t go along with that idea. I think that when they said that the creation was very good, that it wasn’t really, and we just have to get used to the idea, that the creation is the way it is, and was from the start.
Jesus offered no explanation, because nobody asked him about it. If there was a fall, and some sort of corruption of creation, then there was still death from the beginning, but perhaps not all the aging and disease, and predation that we now have.

It seems to be rather confrontational between creationists and mainstream science. I think that is perhaps not going to resolve anything, at least regarding astronomy and the age of the universe. Perhaps creationists need to investigate if there is a reason why so many scientists have reached the conclusions about this subject.

What do you think?

Last edited:

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Hello again, hiscosmicgoldfish.

I'll repost what I said earlier, even though I know you yourself have already read it:

YEC physicists have multiple theories for reconciling long-distance starlight with a young earth. I suggest going to creation.com and searching for "John Hartnett" or "Russell Humphreys".

I bought Humphreys' book a while ago. I have a physics education so it was a good read. He's made some changes to his model since then, which can be found on the web site above.

Hartnett's model is more mathematically rigorous, but more difficult to follow, imo.

Each attempts to explain what we see with an "economy of miracles". That is, to marry a literalistic approach to Genesis 1 with as few miracles as necessary.

The results can be fascinating. I think Humphreys's idea is especially interesting because he's about as literal as a Christian can be regarding Genesis. So when Genesis 1 begins with water, the idea of which is repeated in 2 Peter 3, Humphreys' model begins with a ball of water big enough to contain the mass of the universe. It collapses on itself, ignites, and voilà, a kind of big bang emerges. Definitely outside-of-the-box stuff.

I'll suggest something else. We're all creationists, because scripture says "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth". We're just not all young earth creationists.

Upvote 0

hiscosmicgoldfish

Liberal Anglican
Mar 1, 2008
✟11,767.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Hello again, hiscosmicgoldfish.

I'll repost what I said earlier, even though I know you yourself have already read it:

YEC physicists have multiple theories for reconciling long-distance starlight with a young earth. I suggest going to creation.com and searching for "John Hartnett" or "Russell Humphreys".

I bought Humphreys' book a while ago. I have a physics education so it was a good read. He's made some changes to his model since then, which can be found on the web site above.

Hartnett's model is more mathematically rigorous, but more difficult to follow, imo.

Each attempts to explain what we see with an "economy of miracles". That is, to marry a literalistic approach to Genesis 1 with as few miracles as necessary.

The results can be fascinating. I think Humphreys's idea is especially interesting because he's about as literal as a Christian can be regarding Genesis. So when Genesis 1 begins with water, the idea of which is repeated in 2 Peter 3, Humphreys' model begins with a ball of water big enough to contain the mass of the universe. It collapses on itself, ignites, and voilà, a kind of big bang emerges. Definitely outside-of-the-box stuff.

I'll suggest something else. We're all creationists, because scripture says "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth". We're just not all young earth creationists.

The Genesis account says that there was water, in the beginning, and it’s something that I have thought about in the past, that everything was formed out of water; that’s the conclusion I think you’d come to, with a literal reading of Genesis, it’s just one idea. I don’t think the water would need to collapse, but the creation was miraculous.
I think that creationists should read the works of Robert Sungenis, who has written about geocentrism; until they go back to a biblical model of the universe, then they can be accused of compromise, because the bible is actually very geocentric throughout. I think that the evidence is conclusive that the earth is young, which means that the universe must also be young, but how that can be is as yet unknown.
Creationists might as well go back to geocentrism, as nobody takes any notice of their other claims about a young earth and universe.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2012
Perth, WA Australia
✟7,655.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
a good demonstration of the character of the atheist; confrontational, condescending and snide.
Amidst the sweeeeeeping generalisation and victim complex, you seemed to have missed my point entirely.
Why don't you read about the law of large numbers.

Upvote 0

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The Genesis account says that there was water, in the beginning, and it’s something that I have thought about in the past, that everything was formed out of water; that’s the conclusion I think you’d come to, with a literal reading of Genesis, it’s just one idea. I don’t think the water would need to collapse, but the creation was miraculous.
I think that creationists should read the works of Robert Sungenis, who has written about geocentrism; until they go back to a biblical model of the universe, then they can be accused of compromise, because the bible is actually very geocentric throughout. I think that the evidence is conclusive that the earth is young, which means that the universe must also be young, but how that can be is as yet unknown.
Creationists might as well go back to geocentrism, as nobody takes any notice of their other claims about a young earth and universe.
I don't think belief in geocentrism is necessary to be a biblical believer. The bible is written from the point of view of the earth, and that's not surprising since that's where the writers lived. We still say 'sunrise' and 'sunset' even though we know it's the earth that's spinning.

Making a young earth agree with an old universe is a big part of what Hartnett and Humphreys are doing.

In Humphreys' model the ball of water collapses on itself due to gravity. The center gets dense enough that it ignites and then spits everything outward. His ball of water contains the mass of the entire universe, not just that of the earth. Some of this is from memory because it's been a while since I read his book, but I think I have it right.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist
The Genesis account says that there was water, in the beginning, and it’s something that I have thought about in the past, that everything was formed out of water; that’s the conclusion I think you’d come to, with a literal reading of Genesis,

Dear hiscosmicgoldfish, I cannot agree that Genesis tells us that everything was formed out of the water. In fact, the water is not shown as being "created" but instead is correctly shown scientifically as coming from the heaven or atmosphere. Water comes from gases in the atmosphere because it is a combination of oxygen and hydrogen.

Genesis 1:21 tells us that God "created" every living creature that moveth and brought it forth from the water, but that includes ONLY natural creatures and does NOT include Humans who descended from Adam, who was made from the dust of the ground, along with beasts of the field, and fowl, which were also made from the water.

In Love,
Aman

Upvote 0

hiscosmicgoldfish

Liberal Anglican
Mar 1, 2008
✟11,767.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

The earth was the abyss, and darkness was upon the face of the abyss. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. The Hebrew word for deep is abyss in English. Creation started out as a deep dark abyss. But there was then water. The earth is where the abyss was; the starting point of creation. That’s why there is need to go back to the geocentric model, as that is the only model that fits the text in Genesis. I have studied Robert Sungenis’ book on geocentrism; people say I am mad when I broach the subject of geocentrism, because they have never heard of it, and have never considered the idea, as everyone dismisses it, without having done any research on the matter.

6 And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.

Water was above and below.

7 And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.

I have seen enough evidence to prove to me that the earth is young. The universe must also be young, but it is discovering how it could be young, despite the size, that is worthy of investigation.

Upvote 0

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist
2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

The earth was the abyss, and darkness was upon the face of the abyss. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. The Hebrew word for deep is abyss in English. Creation started out as a deep dark abyss.

Dear his, Genesis 1:1 tells us that God created the heaven (Heb-air) and the earth (Heb-ground). These two elements were the first created.

his:>>But there was then water. The earth is where the abyss was; the starting point of creation.

The earth or ground was without form and empty for there was no physical Potter to mold the earth without form into shape.

his:>>That’s why there is need to go back to the geocentric model, as that is the only model that fits the text in Genesis. I have studied Robert Sungenis’ book on geocentrism; people say I am mad when I broach the subject of geocentrism, because they have never heard of it, and have never considered the idea, as everyone dismisses it, without having done any research on the matter.

Me too, since I have never read the book. I study Scripture.

his:>>6 And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.

Water was above and below.

7 And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.

The God who physically made the firmament or boundary of the first heaven was Jesus. He came forth from the Father when God said, Let there be Light. Jesus is the Light of the first Day.

his:>>I have seen enough evidence to prove to me that the earth is young. The universe must also be young, but it is discovering how it could be young, despite the size, that is worthy of investigation.

The universe is some 13.7 billion years old and was made the 3rd Day, the same day the first Earth was made. Genesis 2:4 Our Earth is some 4.53 billion years old, which is yesterday in God's time. I agree that our universe is young since it was made 3 Days ago, in God's time.

Upvote 0

Vanguard PCD

Progressive Christian Deist
Jan 27, 2013
Alabama, USA
✟16,492.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Something that so many people often overlook...

In Genesis 1, it opens with "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth..."

No where does the Bible state that the heavens and earth were created on day 1. The time lapse between that creation and the creation of life on earth could have been billions of years.

Just something to think about.

Upvote 0

Fascinated With God

Traditional Apostolic Methodist
Aug 30, 2012
NY
✟16,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
In Genesis 1, it opens with "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth..."

No where does the Bible state that the heavens and earth were created on day 1. The time lapse between that creation and the creation of life on earth could have been billions of years.
I never thought of that. That is a very compelling argument.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist
Primi:>>Something that so many people often overlook...

No where does Scripture (I changed this word from the Bible to Scripture because I couldn't post since a link showed up) state that the heavens and earth were created on day 1. The time lapse between that creation and the creation of life on earth could have been billions of years.

Dear Primi, That's called the Gaps theory. No where does the Bible teach this.

Primi:>>Just something to think about.

I will. Thanks for your reply.

Upvote 0

MyLordMySavior

MyLordMySavior
Jun 25, 2012
✟8,821.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Over the years I have been convinced of creation, at least that evolution is not true, that is a conclusion that I have reached after examining the evidence for many years. However, creationists cannot explain how starlight could have reached the earth, in the 6000 years that they quote.

Most people nowadays think that the universe is 13.7 billion years old, and a galaxy has been observed recently which is dated at 13.3 billion light years away, and can only be seen because of the lensing effect; the bending of space. Whatever the age of the universe, it must be very huge, because galaxies are very distant, and light is set at a specific speed, even if it is not fixed.
However, when it comes to the age of the earth, there is a lot of evidence that the earth is young, and so is our solar system. The moon is moving away from the earth, as just one example. I believe there was a global flood, about 4000 years ago, again from examining the evidence. I think the bible is reliable as history, as far as how/where humans originated.

I have been thinking about echolocation insectivorous type bats. They have done studies on a type of bat in Panama, which can echo-locate to such a level of precision, that it can distinguish between different sizes of frogs, to determine roughly the species, and then it does a quick chemical test, to check if the frog is poisonous before eating it.
Bats hunt insects and can also hunt fish, by detecting the ripples on a pond or river surface, and then scoop the fish out with their talons. This is all very sophisticated, and would seem to have been designed for hunting, from the beginning.

Although creationists identify that this was not the product of evolution, they seem to forget that they claim that there was no death, before the fall. But there must have been. It was part of creation from the beginning.
Also, I read that Steve Irwin was killed by a stingray, and they have a venomous spine, which they use to attack victims, suddenly, and are considered by many to be very dangerous and unpredictable. Creationists were saying that the venomous spine was created like that, because God knew that there would be a fall, and they would need to have self-defence. That seems like rubbish to me. It was there from the beginning of creation, and seems to be rather a malevolent feature.

And then there’s the spiders web, which I’ve mentioned before; it must have been an original design to hunt insects, what other use could a web have?
So in my opinion, there was death, right from the beginning. People and animals, before the flood lived a very long time, and grew to very large sizes (not the humans) but then they eventually expired.
Where does it say in the bible that there was no death before the fall? It says that Adam and Eve would die, if they ate the forbidden fruit. I suppose that’s possible, but what about the inevitable overpopulation, if everyone lived forever? Doesn’t make any sense, if you take it literally. I don’t know what the answer is.

How old is the earth? The radiometric dating that they use is proved to be unreliable. The old earthers are relying on this data, and seem to ignore the various proofs that the earth is young, but how could the earth be young, if the universe is old?
A lot of people seem to be convinced that the universe started in the big bang. I don’t believe in a ‘creation’, without God, that is absurd. But maybe the universe was created ex nihilo, from some particular point in space. Although I have read a lot of good evidence that the earth is the centre of the universe… yes, the geocentric model of the universe is still not disproved.

http://creation.com/age-of-the-earth

The Gnostics believed that the creation of the earth was a huge mistake, made by the Demiurge, a god (Yahweh) who thought that he was God Almighty, but wasn’t; he was an emanation from the real God.
I don’t go along with that idea. I think that when they said that the creation was very good, that it wasn’t really, and we just have to get used to the idea, that the creation is the way it is, and was from the start.
Jesus offered no explanation, because nobody asked him about it. If there was a fall, and some sort of corruption of creation, then there was still death from the beginning, but perhaps not all the aging and disease, and predation that we now have.

It seems to be rather confrontational between creationists and mainstream science. I think that is perhaps not going to resolve anything, at least regarding astronomy and the age of the universe. Perhaps creationists need to investigate if there is a reason why so many scientists have reached the conclusions about this subject.

What do you think?

I believe the Earth is young, approximately 6,000 years old. I don't need all the scientific explanations for or against it, I just have faith. :)

Upvote 0

Vanguard PCD

Progressive Christian Deist
Jan 27, 2013
Alabama, USA
✟16,492.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Dear Primi, That's called the Gaps theory. No where does the Bible teach this.

Yes, I know what it is called. There's a lot that the Bible does not teach, that people infer from it anyway, usually by taking a verse out of context.

Besides, I study the Bible using hermeneutics when I want to get down to the nitty gritty.

Upvote 0

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Something that so many people often overlook...

Just something to think about.
Hello! Yes, that's the Gap Theory. I was taught that by some Christian teachers long ago. It was quite popular. But I think that recently it has fallen on hard times, being attacked by, of all things, a reassessment of the Hebrew grammar.

This page contains a link to one of the Hebrew scholars doing the reassessing.

Genesis 1:2 and the “Gap Theory”

Edit: Whoops, I see you already responded.

Upvote 0

troodon

Be wise and be smart
Dec 16, 2002
University of Iowa
Visit site
✟17,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Radiometric dating is perfectly reliable when it is properly applied. I'm going to post below a figure from Ramezani et al., 2011 (I can provide the full citation and the paper if you like) that shows the use of U-Pb dated detrital zircons in the Chinle Formation. Detrital zircons can be dated in the Chinle because it was constantly exposed to ash fall from an active volcanic region to the southwest:

Pefodates_zps274ca1d9.png

You'll notice the very clear trend, the higher up in section you get the younger the radio dates you get. This is fully expected under an old earth paradigm but has no explanation (at least that I've heard of) under a young earth paradigm. Perhaps you'd care to offer one? I should point out that this is far from the only instance I can provide in which radiometric ages coincide with stratigraphic age. I can give you more examples if you like!

Upvote 0