Atlanta
Visit site
✟5,805.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
A good piece on The forgotten victims of the Iraq War

Bush cannot mention them because the invasion had no grounds. Neither weapons of mass destruction nor proof of an imminent threat was found. Bush cannot mention them because he knows a needless invasion was not worth up to 10,000 Iraqi civilians killed by US and British forces. He cannot mention them because it would only bring attention to the paltry and peculiar way the United States pays victims and the families of victims for the injuries and fatalities suffered at our hands.

Wife, three kids worth $5,000

Thoughts anyone?

I'm fairly disgusted, and that's putting it nicely.

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I prefer to look at the glass as halffull. I was against the invasion but I wonder if paying for civilian casualties has been done before? If not, this is a huge step in the right direction. Uping the amount would be a good second step.

Upvote 0
Does anyone have any idea how many Iraqis Saddam killed during his last 12 months in Power? Surely a number far in excess of the 10000 killed by American arms and that figure is probably overstated anyway. Civilians die in each and every Warever fought. American and the Brits should be cheered for their heroic efforts to keep those numbers small. The bottom line is that the USA invasion of Iraqi has saved more lives than it has taken.

Upvote 0

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
mikefromwichita said:
Does anyone have any idea how many Iraqis Saddam killed during his last 12 months in Power? Surely a number far in excess of the 10000 killed by American arms and that figure is probably overstated anyway. Civilians die in each and every Warever fought. American and the Brits should be cheered for their heroic efforts to keep those numbers small. The bottom line is that the USA invasion of Iraqi has saved more lives than it has taken.
I agree with looking at the glass as half full on this one.

Upvote 0

Jacey

WinJace
Jan 12, 2004
Atlanta
Visit site
✟5,805.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
mikefromwichita said:

And this addresses my OP how..........?

Upvote 0

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Ampmonster said:
when i consider everything, i still approve of the ousting of Saddam.
and it's not because im some uberBushfanatic
I am glad that he is gone. I just don't approve ofthe methods used to oust him. It reminds me of legislative bills which in order to be passed have all kinds of attachments sent along as a part of dealmaking and paybacks between lawmakers. Most of the time the attachments are not even related to the main bill being passed. Even so with the war in iraq.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Ampmonster said:
i hear you man.

both the sabres and the isles are winning tonight so well have to wait until th last game to see iff the sabres made it.

***sorry other posters, this was slightly OT, my and Yitz are hockey fans.
go sabres :clap:

Upvote 0

MatthewG215

Feb 16, 2004
Haverhill, MA
✟16,012.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Yitzchak said:
I prefer to look at the glass as halffull. I was against the invasion but I wonder if paying for civilian casualties has been done before? If not, this is a huge step in the right direction. Uping the amount would be a good second step.

I'm sorry that I dont have the exact numbers, but during the Vietnam War, the reparations paid for every rubber tree was 2 to 1 for every human casualty.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mϋzikdϋde

Simply Fabulous
Sep 19, 2002
Colorado Springs
Visit site
✟20,525.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How about Afghanistan? Any ciivlian casualties there? Why aren't we protesting the fighting over there?
Iraq is a political focal point because Bush may or may not have been wrong for going over there. So now we suddenly have a war that is worse than others going on elsewhere.
How much are non-Iraqi casualties worth? Obviously not enough to even get a mention in a liberal rag from Boston.

Can we say sensationalism?

I don't know about the rest of you but I never expected we would go to war without some civilian casualties. I am surprised, however that we are prepared to make financial "restitution".

Seems a little bizarre to me. Maybe we should pay Germany for all the lives we took during WWII. And Viet Nam, Korea, etc...

Anyone read about the Airman killed yesterday? or the 5 soldiers killed today? Of course, they don't matter because it was us who invaded Iraq so we must deserve what we get right?

It's war. What we do in war is kill. It is extremely unfortunate that we can't evacuate an entire nation with hte exception of it's military before we go in.

I'm relatively sure that our government isn't trying to make the statement that a life is worth a dollar amount. And I'm just as sure that Bush doesn't make those decisions on his own as much as we would like to hold him personally responsible.

Reactions: jameseb
Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
muzikdude said:
How about Afghanistan? Any ciivlian casualties there? Why aren't we protesting the fighting over there?
Iraq is a political focal point because Bush may or may not have been wrong for going over there. So now we suddenly have a war that is worse than others going on elsewhere.
How much are non-Iraqi casualties worth? Obviously not enough to even get a mention in a liberal rag from Boston.

Can we say sensationalism?

I don't know about the rest of you but I never expected we would go to war without some civilian casualties. I am surprised, however that we are prepared to make financial "restitution".

Seems a little bizarre to me. Maybe we should pay Germany for all the lives we took during WWII. And Viet Nam, Korea, etc...

Anyone read about the Airman killed yesterday? or the 5 soldiers killed today? Of course, they don't matter because it was us who invaded Iraq so we must deserve what we get right?

It's war. What we do in war is kill. It is extremely unfortunate that we can't evacuate an entire nation with hte exception of it's military before we go in.

I'm relatively sure that our government isn't trying to make the statement that a life is worth a dollar amount. And I'm just as sure that Bush doesn't make those decisions on his own as much as we would like to hold him personally responsible.

Muzik, it's US policy, they are doing the same in Afghanistan. They did it in Germany, Japan everywhere.

Upvote 0

Mϋzikdϋde

Simply Fabulous
Sep 19, 2002
Colorado Springs
Visit site
✟20,525.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
mhatten said:
Muzik, it's US policy, they are doing the same in Afghanistan. They did it in Germany, Japan everywhere.
Yeah, my fingers got ahead of my brain on that one. I heard that before but I don't remember things as well these days. I've been in some pain.

I still stand behind the rest of my "sharp as a marble" opinion though.

Upvote 0

faerieevaH

lucky wife
Dec 27, 2003
USA
✟28,950.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The best statement in regards to this I've ever heard was at a student debate. The first student concluded a very fine argument with the words: collateral damage is inavoidable. You can't make an omelet without breaking eggs.

It sounded really great. His oponent simply stated this.
"People are not eggs."
No matter how many lives Saddam took, it doesn't justify the needless taking of the lives of innocent civilians. The fact that someone does something that is horrible isn't justified by someone else doing things even worse.
And even when it is said that this war was 'needed' and the people now are liberated, there are many instances in which more precautions could be taken to spare lives. It seems however that the life of an American soldier is worth more then the life of an Iraqi civilian. And that is where the reasoning goes awry.

Reactions: praying
Upvote 0