North Mississippi
✟7,931.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It seems to me that I'm constantly hearing or reading about widows and widowers who have lost their spouses to some type of cancer. The prayer mail I get from my church every day or so always has someone who has been diagnosed with cancer or is dealing with it in some way.

How many of you have lost your spouse to some type of cancer? How long were they fighting it? What type?

c1ners

Senior Contributor
Dec 12, 2005
US
✟30,977.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My husband was diagnosed with malenoma. The doctors gave him three to ten years to live. He passed away one month after his surgery, but no due to his cancer. We were in a car accident. I don't know if that was a God send or not. He didn't have to suffer, so that is good, but I had to be without him sooner than I thought I would, and that wasn't good.

Upvote 0
My wife was diagnosed with stage 3-4 ovarian cancer in Feb-06 and died in April-06 after about 8 weeks in the hospital and ICU. I do not want to go into detail that will only make me unable to finish this reply so I will leave it at that for now. Ovarian cancer is a nasty hidden killer that is usually detected too late! She is fine now though and worshipping before the throne.

Upvote 0

singingwife

Apr 7, 2008
✟7,767.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
I too am a cancer widow. My dh had Hodgkins stage 4. Tomknapp, my experience was probably similar to yours. For months we didn't know what was wrong, but that something was wrong. He kept getting weaker, losing weight, paler, blood levels got lower, and yet many tests for things came back negative! Only when he had a surgical biopsy, did we find that out. Stage 4 is more difficult to treat, but a plan was in place, and we knew he had a chance. Unfortunately, it was only 3 weeks after we got the diagnosis that he died.

Upvote 0

allbymyself

Oct 14, 2008
✟15,111.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
My husband died from colon cancer Jan 2008 and battled it for 10 years. He had a remission period of 4 years free but when it returned it was located in the lungs and then eventually to the brain. He too was very strongwilled in believing he would be cured but God had other plans for him. I'm 50 now and my 40's were filled with being a caregiver. Even though I miss my husband, I am trying to move on because he would want me too. I know he is constantly with me, as I recieve pennies from him especially when I'm thinking of him or talking to him they suddenly appear from nowhere.

Upvote 0

mammaw3n3

Nov 17, 2008
✟7,613.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
my husband was diagnosed with bladder cancer in march 08,... he was considered curable and did fine thru chemo and radiation...he had one good month and went to be with the Lord on Oct. 24 08...the doctors said his cancer had returned but no one could ever find it...it is hard trying to cope after being with him for almost 30 years...i hope i can find some friends who know what i am going thru on this forum...thanks and God bless...lyn

Upvote 0
Nov 16, 2008
Michigan
✟15,119.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
yes, we know what you are going through.

My husband did not have cancer, but I have lost friends and my father to cancer. It is an insidious disease with so many types and places it can strike. My little friend that has been battling cancer for 3 years says, "Cancer Sucks!" I agree.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

angmang2

angel
Jan 13, 2009
woodbury heights, new jersey
✟15,128.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I recently lost my husband to cancer. He fought hard for 2.5 years but could not fight any longer. He was diagnosed at stage 3, had chemo, radiation, surgery in december of 06. His cancered recurred in October 07. I knew something was wrong, he just was not okay. He spent the last year of his life in and out of the hospital. He was more concerned about me and how I would be. Hospice told us in November 08 that he would not be here for Christmas. Boy, they were right on. I kept thinking they don't know what they're talking about. Anyway, he went home to be with his Jesus as he told family and friends that he was going to do when he said his goodbyes. I still can't believe he's really gone.

Upvote 0

memoriesbymichelle

Senior Veteran
Jun 8, 2007
Arizona
✟22,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
My father-in-law lived with us most of our married life. He died from Multiple Myaloma which is cancer in your blood stream. He had been going to the VA hospital for 2 years, and he died 3 weeks after we found out he had cancer. He was 63.
My mother died of breast cancer. She had one of her breasts removed on my birthday and didn't even tell me until after the surgery! She then got a tumor on her neck bone. They had to screw a hallo to her head and take a bone from her hip to put in her neck to support her head. Then it attacked her spinal cord. She fought it for 5 years and then died. She was 58.
My Husband had squamous cell carcinoma which is head and neck cancer. He started with a tumor on the right side of his throat. They removed that and he had about 40 radiation treatments and then was fine for about a year and a half. Then he started getting headaches and he ended up with a tumor behind his eye. They gave him 3 months to live and he lived 6 months. He died one day after his 55th birthday. It will be 4 years this month on the 23rd.
My step daughters mother also died a couple of years before my husband of ovarian cancer.
I have told God that I think I have had enough cancer in my family!
I miss my husband greatly and I don't know how or if I will ever meet anyone as a mate again. I know none of my family members that have died of cancer are suffering anymore and for that I am grateful. I have 2 boys that are almost 15 and eleven that I need to be strong for, so for now that is my focus.
I hate cancer! I also can't believe we don't have a cure for it yet. I just don't believe it. I think there is one, and they (whoever "they" is) are keeping it from us, so we can be put on drugs and die a slow horrible death. It's not right. But I also believe God has a plan in all this, and that is where I keep my focus. I believe we are not too far away from seeing our Lord ourselves, so I choose to look up for our redemption draweth nigh.

Upvote 0

RuthD

blah blah blah
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2006
Earth
✟191,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My x husband died of lung cancer. We did not keep in touch and one day I found something in SS that reported his death. I went to the library and found his death notice. It was a shock. Sorry to say that I did not grieve, I was still so angry from how he treated me. Unfortunately I am embarrassed to write this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

memoriesbymichelle

Senior Veteran
Jun 8, 2007
Arizona
✟22,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
On Tuesday a good good friend of mine died of brain cancer. Her husband just got out of the hospital because just recently he was diagnosed with throat cancer. He has never smoked or anything like that and it's just hard to understand sometimes why some families have more tragedy and some have less. Previously they lost a teenage son that was 18 in a car accident on the way to school. I HATE cancer!!!

Upvote 0

Judy Dods

Forever Young
Mar 20, 2010
Canada
✟7,611.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
My wife was diagnosed in June with stage IV lung cancer, just two weeks after my mother passed from the same disease. She passed away in my arms early Christmas morning. My mom was 80, my wife was 51. This is so much harder than I ever imagined.
My Mom and my husband passed away in 2006 six months apart.
It never gets any easier. But we receive tremendous joy when we talk about them. Do not be discouraged but look unto the Lord for further understanding. As difficult as it is you must remember the good times spent with them. Give that sadness to the Lord and he alone will bless your heart.

Upvote 0

memoriesbymichelle

Senior Veteran
Jun 8, 2007
Arizona
✟22,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
Hi,

I am new here. Glad to be here:)

My husband died of melanoma on May 17, 2007. He was 52 years old. We had been married 34 years. He is with the Lord - but I miss him terribly. Cancer is a murderer and many lose loved ones from it.:-(

In Christ,
Faith

Welcome faithas. So sorry to hear about your loss. Of course most of us hear in this section have experienced loss too. My husband was only 55, much too soon for either of them IMO, but God knows the plans he has for us, so I put my trust in that. I hope you will feel welcome here. The only comfort I have is that I know that I will see my husband and all my loved ones that are in Christ again and that's the only way I can get thru it. I would be a mess if I didn't believe in Jesus.

Upvote 0