Rebekka

meow meow meow meow meow meow
Oct 25, 2006
✟34,375.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
We had 6 months which was enough. The thing that took up most time was the parish marriage preparation - we found out that it was impossible to get in if you had less than 6 months between the start of the course and your wedding, so we were just in time.

The first thing we did was book the church, then start marriage preparation, buy a dress, book the city hall (you have to get married in the city hall first over here before you can get married in church), and then we had a few months of quiet. :D

Then about two months before the wedding we wrote our vows, made the booklet for our wedding Mass, made a guest list and sent the invitations, booked the reception location (if you have a specific location in mind, book earlier than we did! We didn't fuss too much over this as we did it low-budget), etc.

We stopped the planning two weeks before the wedding to have a very relaxed time before the wedding. As a result, our wedding was extremely relaxed, really perfect.

We had about 180 guests but it was a fairly low-budget wedding (Mass and reception only), we organized and payed for everything ourselves.

It can be done in less than 6 months if your parish doesn't fuss too much about the marriage preparation - our parish was a bit bureaucratic in that you had to enlist two months before you could start the preparation, and there had to be several months between the end of the course and your wedding. They even preferred that you had an engagement of 9 months to fit everything in. But we were stubborn and insisted on participating straightaway because we wanted to get married on a specific date, one year after our first meeting. We got our way. :p

Upvote 0

California Dreamin'

Crazy Cat Lady
Site Supporter
Mar 30, 2004
Nova Scotia, Canada
✟60,435.00
Faith
Un. Church of CA
Marital Status
Engaged
Wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

I know my mom married August 17 and I think she started planning in April. (2002)

Andrew and I are considering May '07. I've been on some wedding websites and everyone seems way ahead of me with their planning, we haven't done any planning yet but hope to start once I get the engagement ring... which should be the beginning of August.

Upvote 0

Rebekka

meow meow meow meow meow meow
Oct 25, 2006
✟34,375.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

I know my mom married August 17 and I think she started planning in April. (2002)

Andrew and I are considering May '07. I've been on some wedding websites and everyone seems way ahead of me with their planning, we haven't done any planning yet but hope to start once I get the engagement ring... which should be the beginning of August.
Well you have plenty of time then! And don't let others rush you - everyone should do it their way, I don't believe there is a "right" way to prepare for a wedding.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

California Dreamin'

Crazy Cat Lady
Site Supporter
Mar 30, 2004
Nova Scotia, Canada
✟60,435.00
Faith
Un. Church of CA
Marital Status
Engaged
Well you have plenty of time then! And don't let others rush you - everyone should do it their way, I don't believe there is a "right" way to prepare for a wedding.

Good luck!
Thanks!

My mom acts like she doesn't believe us so we can't even talk seriously about it with her. His parents have been asking about what kind of reception, to rent or buy my dress, etc. His parents are great!

Upvote 0

klynnmiller

Cry out to Jesus!
Nov 17, 2006
Indiana
✟10,602.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We're not having a very big wedding, it's on Sept. 8th, '07. We've sent out invitations for 173, but I'm projecting about 130-135. We've been trying to keep it low budget, with the DJ and the FOOD being the most expensive so far. We're doing our own catering and serving buffet style.

My mother is a cake decorator so she's making my wedding cake (free for me!). :thumbsup:

We got engaged on December 24th (proposed to me in front of the whole family after opening Christmas presents) and we've been really planning for about 4 months.

The pre-marital counseling has been the toughest for us just because we started pretty late due to our pastor's and our schedule. But it's coming along. Our pastor hasn't gone easy on us at ALL with the counseling, but I'm glad that this is all coming out now. It shows us how we can better serve the Lord and love each other more deeply.

I wish we'd have started planning a little earlier, but it's all coming together. Just getting BUSY BUSY BUSY!!!! I'm trying to tie up all the loose ends, pack up my apartment, work, get ready for the honeymoon, and still go to things like my fiance's class reunion, a date with my daughter in Chicago (to see a Cubs game) and get the kids ready for back to school!!!! My head's spinning!!!! :eek:

I can't wait for the honeymoon!!!! I need a vacation!!!! :) :p

Upvote 0

California Dreamin'

Crazy Cat Lady
Site Supporter
Mar 30, 2004
Nova Scotia, Canada
✟60,435.00
Faith
Un. Church of CA
Marital Status
Engaged
Andrew proposed Sunday, August 5 in Niagara Falls. I e-mailed my pastor as soon as I could, the earliest we can meet is sometime after the 20th. My mom is being a major roadblock and doesn't want us to do any planning... so if we want the date we have in mind we will have to go behind her back. I never wanted a long engagement either so waiting until May is hard enough!

Upvote 0

RenaeN

Jun 3, 2007
✟7,731.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Andrew proposed Sunday, August 5 in Niagara Falls. I e-mailed my pastor as soon as I could, the earliest we can meet is sometime after the 20th. My mom is being a major roadblock and doesn't want us to do any planning... so if we want the date we have in mind we will have to go behind her back. I never wanted a long engagement either so waiting until May is hard enough!

*grins* What day in May? My wedding is set for May 3rd! I know what you mean about it being a long way off though. I don't know if it will help, but my mom had a very hard time accepting my engagement as well because it meant that she was going to have to let me go and that is very hard for her. I had to sit down with her and it took a good long heart to heart, but she finally admitted what was wrong and then she began to soften and be willing.

God Bless,
Renae

Upvote 0

California Dreamin'

Crazy Cat Lady
Site Supporter
Mar 30, 2004
Nova Scotia, Canada
✟60,435.00
Faith
Un. Church of CA
Marital Status
Engaged
Hopefully May 24.
I would write more but my kitten is climbing all over me and my laptop. Your post really helped.
We started going out May 30, so that is why we're thinking May. Our birthdays are June 6 and June 26...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faerieevaH

lucky wife
Dec 27, 2003
USA
✟28,950.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My husband proposed on the 26th of december and we were married on the seventh of July, so about six months.
It was enough, but then I have been thinking about what I wanted for a long time. The first things to arrange is the necessary counceling and the church. The next thing is determining an estimate amount of guests and your reception location. Those two are the things that you need to do the longest in advance.

Upvote 0

pmcleanj

Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner
Mar 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟7,281.00
Faith
Anglican
We became engaged in February, and were married in early June: four months later. We had a simple traditional church wedding with a traditional afternoon-tea style reception; 130 guests, and a total cost of about $1500 (about twenty years ago, so factor in inflation).

It's nice to have some older woman to take on some of the planning for you, if your mother isn't able or willing to do it -- preferably someone who's organized a formal reception or party before and knows how to go on. I've acted as "chatelaine" to two brides whose mothers were dead or alienated, and it meant that they were able to focus on their role in the ceremony and on starting married life, instead of on when the flowers would be delivered and where to stack the folding chairs.

Frankly, the idea that you need 18 months to plan a wedding and need special versions of everything from your "wedding manicure" to a fancy photo-album, is a myth promulgated by the "wedding industry" to get into their pockets more of the money that should be staying in yours for setting up housekeeping. Concentrate on the ceremony, and on having a nice formal party of whatever style is normal for nice formal parties in the circles you move in. A wedding should "fit" with the rest of your life, not be some fancy Las-Vegas show that's totally at odds with your day-to-day life.

Upvote 0

California Dreamin'

Crazy Cat Lady
Site Supporter
Mar 30, 2004
Nova Scotia, Canada
✟60,435.00
Faith
Un. Church of CA
Marital Status
Engaged
pmcleanj,
Thank you so much for your input. I have enjoyed your posts I have read so far. I think maybe we are thinking similar. I am fortunate to have my friend Katrina as my Maid of Honor and I know that she will help me tons... she's the best friend anyone could ask for.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

shaslove

On LOA until June 2nd
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2006
Portland, OR
✟30,453.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We were engaged on 1/7/07 and married on 7/7/07, so 6 months. I think that is about right.

Even with all the people getting married on that date, it seemed to give us enough time. I would suggest getting into the dress shop ASAP, I went on 1/27, and was OK because my dress was being discontinued...but my bridesmaids went in 2/15 or so and did not get there dresses until the end of May!

Upvote 0

California Dreamin'

Crazy Cat Lady
Site Supporter
Mar 30, 2004
Nova Scotia, Canada
✟60,435.00
Faith
Un. Church of CA
Marital Status
Engaged
We are still waiting to meet with the church... we were going to go Sept. 6 and now we're going Sept. 13

A May 24 wedding is out of the question because my mom was invited to one, so now we're considering June 14. I started thinking of people we know and didn't really come up with a lot.

Upvote 0