• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How long since you last self injured? (3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
3 years and Im so proud of myself. You can do it, stay strong, its worth it

Wow - well done!
Thanks for posting - it's always encouraging to hear from people who have managed to get past this!!

4 months now a big improvement for me. Praying I can continue got a long road ahead of me and next month will be extremely tough so trying to prepare for the hard road next month ahead of time. Praying for everyone here.

That's so good to hear, sister :hug:
Praying for you.

It has been 13 days since I last self-harmed and I'm going strong!
The urge to cut has completely gone and several times when I go to harm myself, I just cant. I physically and mentally can not harm myself. It's as if there's an angel holding my hand back.

God is amazing

Praise God, that's great :)

Upvote 0

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Tonight.

I'm disappointed in myself. I had almost made it a month. I was sooo close but I just got too depressed tonight. I don't even know how I'm going to hide it. I'm ashamed that I have to handle my grief this way.

Phoenix.

You only did it once in a month - that's good! Don't let one slip pull you back into the downward spiral.
And please don't be ashamed... it's a coping strategy - not a great one, but better than nothing. Praying that you find comfort for your grief and better ways of coping with it. :hug:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
P

Phoenix92885

You only did it once in a month - that's good! Don't let one slip pull you back into the downward spiral.
And please don't be ashamed... it's a coping strategy - not a great one, but better than nothing. Praying that you find comfort for your grief and better ways of coping with it. :hug:

Thank you Criada. I appreciate the encouragement.

It's been 3 days. Wish I could say I've been going strong but at least I can say I've been going. My thoughts are with all of you who are fighting this same fight.

Phoenix

Upvote 0

brokenwings27

Jun 16, 2007
Michigan, USA
✟15,287.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
It's been over 2 years since I have been at this site (I'm surprised I remembered my username and password still). This site was vital to my recovery, and to any of you who are struggling, whether its been 2 hours, 2 days, 2 weeks or 2 years, I just want to say that you can do it. You may not think you can, but you really can. Don't think about making it years, just focus on right now. Make it through 1 day. Then tomorrow have that same mentality. If you need to break it down into smaller time frames that's fine to. Just make it through 1 more hour if you need to.

It has been 3 years, 3 months and 14 days since I last cut myself. I can honestly say I never thought I would get here. I have a handful of people who helped me along the way. I can't say it has always been a walk in the park and sometime I still have to take it day by day so that I don't relapse. I still get urges now and then, but I have become stronger and stronger fighting them and you can too! Good luck and God bless.

Upvote 0

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It's been over 2 years since I have been at this site (I'm surprised I remembered my username and password still). This site was vital to my recovery, and to any of you who are struggling, whether its been 2 hours, 2 days, 2 weeks or 2 years, I just want to say that you can do it. You may not think you can, but you really can. Don't think about making it years, just focus on right now. Make it through 1 day. Then tomorrow have that same mentality. If you need to break it down into smaller time frames that's fine to. Just make it through 1 more hour if you need to.

It has been 3 years, 3 months and 14 days since I last cut myself. I can honestly say I never thought I would get here. I have a handful of people who helped me along the way. I can't say it has always been a walk in the park and sometime I still have to take it day by day so that I don't relapse. I still get urges now and then, but I have become stronger and stronger fighting them and you can too! Good luck and God bless.

It's so good to hear this :)
Thanks for coming back and letting us know :hug:

Upvote 0

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It's been years until last night :(. I'm so ashamed in myself and can't deal with the gilt!

So you have only cut once in years - that's a pretty awesome achievement! Don't let one slip up throw you, sweetie - we all mess up sometimes, but God forgives us :hug:
Sometimes forgiving ourselves is harder - don't let the guilt pull you back down sweetie - it was a bump in the road, but you're still on the road!
Praying for you :hug:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dianna_Child of God

He is my All in All
Sep 8, 2011
✟17,164.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A week ago come Thursday. By Saturday I figured out what the trigger was. This time of year when looking back is when most of my stays in the hospital happen. It all revolves around my father's tragic death. That is what started my self-harm as a teenager. Wednesday I found in the attic while looking for something, the family Bible that had been to my parents 37 years ago. My mom isn't sure why it was given to them because neither attended church. It caused a massive trigger.

Sunday was the first time I had ever been to church with fresh injuries. It was really hard. I was able to sit down and talk to the Pastor because we were there later than normal because of a pot luck. He asked how I was and he could tell my the shrug of my shoulders that I wasn't good. He told me when he was doing prison ministry that was a guy who had a very detailed tattoo that took up his whole chest, it was the cross with Jesus on it, but His head was cut off and on the ground. The man did come to know the Lord. He told the Pastor he will use that as a reminder of where he was and where he is now. I try to do that with my scars, but when fresh ones are there, very hard to do.

My husband was upset that the Pastor knew first. I just didn't know when to tell my husband because he has already been so stressed. He was very mad I had self-harmed and yelled at me, which of course made me more upset. He said with kids around I can't do that. I wish it was that easy. So that made my quilt even worse. I understand his point. I really do. But it does me no good when the support I need isn't there.

Upvote 0

kimm91

Nov 15, 2011
✟15,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'd been doing well fighting off the urges and thoughts that I constantly have for a few months, until about 25 minutes ago :( I kind of started to have a breakdown and I was alone, and just couldn't help myself. I don't know if I'll be able to stop anymore, it just feels like it doesn't work out every time I try to.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.