How important is the denominational tag in your church?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rapturefish

Kingdom Citizen, Spiritual Nomad
May 9, 2002
Sydney
✟17,650.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
It just struck me the other day when a newcomer asked about our denomination that our church doesn't in fact make much, if any, deal about our denomination. A friend of mine replied that we don't make much of it but technically we would be Pentecostal.

I guess in a way that is pretty good, not to have that idea of denom camps in our mindset. How important is the denomination tag to your church and is it a good thing for you or is it more of a hindrance? What would you like to see in regards to this issue?

blessings,

Macca

Veteran
Feb 25, 2004
Frankston North
✟9,640.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
rapturefish said:
It just struck me the other day when a newcomer asked about our denomination that our church doesn't in fact make much, if any, deal about our denomination. A friend of mine replied that we don't make much of it but technically we would be Pentecostal.

I guess in a way that is pretty good, not to have that idea of denom camps in our mindset. How important is the denomination tag to your church and is it a good thing for you or is it more of a hindrance? What would you like to see in regards to this issue?

blessings,
We are an A.O.G. church in Hastings Vic.(Au), but we prefer to be known as Harbourside Christian Church. We meet in a refurbished smash repair shop.
Once, damaged cars came in for repair- now damaged people come in looking to be repaired.
So, no our denomination is not important, our work is.
Macca. :preach:

Upvote 0

HumbleMan

Ragamuffin
Dec 2, 2003
Mississippi by way of Texas
✟17,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Our church name is Trinity Life Church of God, but most times we just identify ourselves as Trinity Life Church. We're more worried about doing Christ's work than to worry about a name.

I think denominational identity is good in the sense that you have like minded people who believe in a doctrine that is shared by the members. What I don't like is denominational infighting as to whose more holy than who, who's heretics, and who's got God's ear.

The world sees us as denominations. We have to show the world we're Christians.

Upvote 0

dsided4him

May 29, 2005
✟144.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I attended our church for 2 months before I found out they were pentecostal. The only reason I know is because I asked the pastor about tongues. At the time it was a big deal to me only because my of previous churches negative denominational position on the subject.

Since then, I have come to appreciate the lack of concern displayed by the church for it's denominational position. It allows the focus of the church to be on Christ and not what the "other guys" are doing.

I would like to see much less emphasis on denominations within the Church and more placed on unity within the entire body of Christ with regards to the schisms that led to the denominations.

Upvote 0

Unoriginal

Aug 28, 2005
✟7,649.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I dont mind it when AoG is in the church's name because when I moved out here to Utah I had no idea who was who and I wasnt about to just go to some church...they even had one of those rattlesnake dancing churches here but moved down south...Im glad I didnt find myself there....but I dont care if you claim to be baptist or pentecost because we are all heading in the right direction...its just nice to know you are around other pentecost's who wont rebuke you for speaking in tounges though !

Upvote 0

writer4him

Jun 23, 2005
maryland
✟15,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
My church is an AoG church and it's simply Ellicott city Assembly of God so we make it clear in that sense. We are really into the fact that its pentecostal mainly because we have a set church district that we do all sorts of stuff with. Especialy the youth group. We have so many awsome events that we do through our district. So yeah we let it be known that we are pentecostal.

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
HumbleMan said:
I think denominational identity is good in the sense that you have like minded people who believe in a doctrine that is shared by the members. What I don't like is denominational infighting as to whose more holy than who, who's heretics, and who's got God's ear.

I am Pentecostal, but I do not think myself better than people of other Christian denominations. I do not think that Pentecostals are "the only church". Denomination is not what salvation is all about. Salvation is asking Jesus into your heart, repenting, and growing in serving, pleasing, and loving the Lord, to the best of our ability. And, while we will all mess up during our Christian walks, we need ask God to forgive us and move on, trying not to make the same mistakes again.

And we should never forget that we as Christians should constantly lift one another up in prayer, as that's what God commands us to do. :groupray:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shalico2007

Jesucristo es el Rey! Que Dios te Bendiga!
Oct 30, 2004
✟116,714.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I do not believe that you have to belong to a particular denomination. As long as they preach God's Holy Word. Although I am a Pentecostal, that doesn't mean that everybody has to be one to experience God's great, wonderful salvation.

Praise God, Jesus saves!! :amen: :prayer: :angel:

Upvote 0

allin1

Sep 7, 2005
✟136.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I think instead of tagging what type of faith we are, we hope to let others see what should be the most evident. Jesus in us. It was said by a pastor that people don't come to church (per say), because they've already seen it.(us). I believe that is changing though, and I know that reaching the lost right now is more critical than it's ever been. We just want to be careful that we allow His grace to operate, and not our own efforts. "So let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."(matt.5:16)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.