How important is or will be the retirement phase of your life?

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
As catholics we are supposed to be looking forward most to eternity and heaven hopefully. But how about retirement time in this life? Is it a time to really hone our faith? Go to Church everyday? Pray more as we approach our inevitable demise?
I don't have kids so no grandkids either. I can become more involved in the Church as my time frees up. No excuses I know.

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Better stay away from where I live....our Republican candidate for governor recently stated that retirement is un-Biblical. He cited Noah working on the ark when he was 650 years old, and not quitting or collecting social security up until death. He said practically speaking you might have to change the type of work, but God didn't condone hitting the beach!

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We've been looking forward to retirement a little more now that we've taken a look at our financials. We've always planned on doing the snow bird thing traveling from Arizona to Oregon. We don't have kids either, but we've go a niece and a nephew in Portland. We've also bought a little A-frame pop-up trailer a couple of years ago so we've been practicing the RV lifestyle. I plan on seeing a lot more birds a lot more often once I retire, possibly going on the road for an entire year to rack up as many birds as I can. I hope keep painting too.

What's really interesting is that we're planning with number of our friends, some with kids some without, to buy our own retirement community so we can all hang out with each other and look after each other as we get old. One of our friends has already purchased a property which she may use for that purpose or use to invest in another one. We thought we invented the idea, but I guess it's becoming more popular.

I also look forward to jumping in knee deep with St. Vincent de Paul again. I really miss being in the mix.

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Better stay away from where I live....our Republican candidate for governor recently stated that retirement is un-Biblical. He cited Noah working on the ark when he was 650 years old, and not quitting or collecting social security up until death. He said practically speaking you might have to change the type of work, but God didn't condone hitting the beach!

Here's your human interest story of the day. I used to hang out with Steve Bullock when he was 5.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
:sick: And he will lead by example I suppose. Ugh.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I expect to continue to work for quite some time because we are still supporting kids through college. We are also working on a move back to the country of my birth, which will make saving for our retirement more complicated. I intend to teach (college level) as well as work, and am getting that in place now. As the kids graduate and get into their careers, I ant to gradually spend more time teaching, so that my time becomes more flexible. I don't expect to spend more time in church - I don't know whether I'll even ever go back to a church - but I want to volunteer in my spare time, and hopefully I will also be a grandma one day, so that is a more than part-time job. :)

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Here's your human interest story of the day. I used to hang out with Steve Bullock when he was 5.
Cool! I hope he's elected again. He seems to have done a good job, and he's the only graduation speaker that I've heard as a prof up here that wasn't totally boring!

Upvote 0

anjelica

May 14, 2015
✟91,105.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
We had plans for our retirement - to live amongst the hills. However, everything was scuppered by my husband havng to retire early, move back to my hometown which I hate, and he became disabled and in a whelchair. Then I got serious cancer thatnleft me in a wheelchair too, and almost completely blind. No more walking in the hills for us, and for me no more birdatching. But I am happy. I have God, and I almost died. I live in my memory, and we have just got a new little puppy called Hope, whom some of you have seen. We have abkind farmer who allows us to let our dogs run in his field. There is wodland there too and I can hear the birdsong. I am happy because these things have brought me closer to God, though I am in constant pain. The chemo damaged my body. But I know God is with me and I write poetry. A very dif ferent rtirement to what we had planned

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Although I'm about 10 years away from when I can retire, I already have anxiety about it. For one thing, I don't know if I'll have enough money (depends on the Market), and for another, I really don't have many interests outside of work. We'd like to travel some ($$), and I would definitely entertain going back to school for another degree ($$), but a lot can happen in 10 years. I expect our church life will remain the same, and we'll probably stay put unless our kids/grandkids move away. Suffice to say the only reason I'm at all looking forward to retirement is because I'll no longer have to worry about getting laid off from my job.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Just answering the original question- incredibly important. I think we still have the idea of putting our feet up on the couch for our retirement but really it should be the time to become more active. More active about our what is really important to us. Sure, enjoy the weekly sports event on TV whether it be Aussie Football, Japanese Sumo or American Basketball. But use the other time to focus on priorities.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RKO

Oct 27, 2011
✟41,071.00
Faith
Catholic
"Work,peasants! God demands it!"
As evidenced by the thread I just posted, I think I'm going to take a vacation from chasing salvation. I think I'll just exist for a while. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Miles to go before I sleep so to speak on retirement. Thankfully the kids college is not too much of a worry. My wife's brother and her parents started college funds for the kids in addition to what we have when they were born. Her brother has no children and that was his Baptism gift to each child. So the fact that they might not have to go into debt for college is a good thing.

We are slowly putting more away as far as retirement. We both have a state retirement through the university and then Social Security, and have plans for more planning with the Knights of Columbus in the next few years. Honestly my only care about retirement is something only God can control and that is that we make it there together. All else is window dressing.

Apart from that my wife's family all retire to somewhere near a beach. Her father retires this year, her mother in two. I so where we end up might depend on where they go. Because as we visit, since the kids seeing grandparents is something very important to me, I am sure we will become familiar with whatever area they are in.

But, although her family loves beaches...she and I both miss the mountains far too much if we are away from them. So we have thought about somewhere like Asheville NC. A mountain region that is not too far from the ocean.

Upvote 0