Ead

Jun 19, 2006
Montana
✟8,117.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Aye, i do have a tale to tell about how i lost faith in Christianity and religions altogether pretty much.

I was 10 and i had an injury. It was extremely painful, and it might have been from a previous surgury. It could have been a recuring thing, but i dunno. Anyway, it persisted for at least a month. The pain was nearly unbearable, and it was all the time.

So, one day after getting a serious bout of it, i actually kneeled down and prayed to your God, pleading for my pain to go away. I heard nothing, saw nothing, and the pain persisted. Nothing happened except for more pain. And the time that it did go away was after i made a birthday wish for it to just stop.

Thats how i lost faith in God. I reasoned that there was either a God that didnt care about me, a small child suffering from constant pain, or there just was no God. And as i grow more knowledgeable, i keep discoving that i made the right choice.

ruecks

Aug 29, 2006
✟7,633.00
Faith
Christian
I'm terribly sorry you feel that way. The Lord loves you very much. You just need to wait on him. He's working miracles but don't expect things to heal right away. God works miracles in a way that may benefit him or perhaps in ways that will benefit you best. Just give the lord time...

If you read Exodus you'll know what I'm talking about. The lord works miracles in a fashion that'll show his true power.

Reactions: Kehaar
Upvote 0
S

Sheva

Aye, i do have a tale to tell about how i lost faith in Christianity and religions altogether pretty much.

I was 10 and i had an injury. It was extremely painful, and it might have been from a previous surgury. It could have been a recuring thing, but i dunno. Anyway, it persisted for at least a month. The pain was nearly unbearable, and it was all the time.

So, one day after getting a serious bout of it, i actually kneeled down and prayed to your God, pleading for my pain to go away. I heard nothing, saw nothing, and the pain persisted. Nothing happened except for more pain. And the time that it did go away was after i made a birthday wish for it to just stop.

Thats how i lost faith in God. I reasoned that there was either a God that didnt care about me, a small child suffering from constant pain, or there just was no God. And as i grow more knowledgeable, i keep discoving that i made the right choice.
God answers prayers in his own way and in his own time. You mention your “reason.” Maybe taking away your pain at that moment is how you would have done it if you were God but God himself says that “my ways are not your ways” Isaiah 55:8-9. It’s foolish to lose faith in such a way.

Upvote 0

Ead

Jun 19, 2006
Montana
✟8,117.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
God answers prayers in his own way and in his own time. You mention your “reason.” Maybe taking away your pain at that moment is how you would have done it if you were God but God himself says that “my ways are not your ways” Isaiah 55:8-9. It’s foolish to lose faith in such a way.
So, God would let a little innocent kid suffer for nothing? That is not the merciful God i always hear about.

But, that was just the start of losing intrest in Christianity in the perspective of believing it. Science and common sense has thus proven time and time again that such a creature doesnt exist, and that it's only human psycholoical needs that keeps the religion going.

Upvote 0
So, God would let a little innocent kid suffer for nothing?
No. I can not tell you that I understand the bigger picture or why you had to suffer. I can tell you that there was probably a reason for it tho.

God is FAR more concerned with making us GOOD than he is with making us comfortable or happy. It might be that later in your life you will be challenged and the suffering you experienced as a child will help you to get through it. It might be that the suffering you went through gave you such strength and endurance that you will be able to overcome some adversity later in life. I can not say.

If that suffering that you went through actually turns out to be a blessing in the future I hope you will remember this and reconsider your position.

Upvote 0

FallingWaters

Woman of God
Mar 29, 2006
Maine
✟38,902.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
What can anyone say to that? Bad things happen to good people. Pain exists in the world. Innocent people suffer. Young children die. Evil exists because the entire world is in a spiritual war. Good vs Evil, God vs Satan. We know who wins in the end. Which side do you want to be on?

Upvote 0

Ead

Jun 19, 2006
Montana
✟8,117.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Which side do you want to be on?

Now, that kinda peeves me. Why do i need to pick a side? Just because i am not a Democrat doesnt mean im a Republican. Just because i eat meat doesnt mean i dont like vegitarians. Just because i dont believe in your God doesnt mean i believe in your Satan. I believe in neither.

And if God is all powerful, there would be no struggle between him and his creation. It would be over in a snap. But no, your God decides to watch people suffer for his own sadistic enjoyment. I dont know why. If he can create the universe, why doesnt he wipe away all pain? Simple. He never existed. And if he did, he would not be worthy or worship by any self-loving or intelligent person.

Upvote 0

Boltwave

Sep 26, 2005
✟423.00
Faith
Seeker

You are serious about this? I should have you know that the reason God doesn't just appear is because he's not like some kind of magic lamp you can rub and then he'll appear in front of your eyes, regretablly, this has to be a very foolish partaking you've made seeing as it's a very minor occurance compared to your lifetime as it is, one story of mine is when I was hit by an SUV about two or three years ago going 40 miles per hour, the part of my body that was the first to feel the impact of the concrete road was the back end of my skull, (and yes even blacking out you can feel impact) when I woke up, I saw a crowd of people standing around me and could have sworn I was dead: I wasn't.

After I realized I had awoken from my car accident in the same area I hit flat on the ground, , the paramedics loaded me up onto a slab bed and I went completely hysteric and couldn't control myself when this man came over and tried to put this neck cast around my throat, I clawed at him and shaked and rattled knowing that I had completely lost control of my body and it's functions, I had about two or three people pin me down hard onto the ground while I screamed and drooled, then I felt a massive pain in my head area once they loaded me onto the paramedics truck, then I felt something come over me, a strong fearful presence, at the same time it was conforting, and something struck me like never before when it happened, it's like there and then I understood what judgement was about, it was there and then that I could have easily died and not know where I may end up give my passing time from this earth, and the thing was I was an atheist, I couldn't stand the church I was going to and the way my parents were with Christianity and so forth, so I rebelled and just decided I didn't really care who or what God was, and that he was none of my concern, the worst part about this accident is having images flashing through your head while feeling this large hand above you that has the ability to rip you out and take you away or to let you prosper longer in life, and I came out lucky, I didn't have any broken bones, and I've healed completely, my dad came into the hospital and prayed while I was being sedated due to the secreation of thick blood surrounding my skull area, he had family members pray, as well as people I have never met before, they all came in and prayed, they were all Christians, today I cannot go back to being an atheist given that it is a foolish belief nothing more said, I can't take this seriously when you say something like your painful injury when you were 10 years old sort of thing, therefore I remain an agnostic, still looking for answers, still clinging on to the hope that someday I will fufill my purpose in life, and develope a relationship with the almighty.

My story does not end there, but this topic isn't about me, what you should know is that whatever you study has VERY limited resources, unforutnate for you science can only study NATURE, and yet people want to disprove or say God cannot exist because of simple physics, who in their right mind would question the plausibilities of nature and scientific laws to debate or even question the existence of a deity whom is the creator of creation? Do you understand what illogical assumption this is? We are like ants to the eyes and entirety of God, we cannot compare to his status, we have a free gifted mind and intelligence, an incredible intelligence, but we only know about our surroundings, we can't be the judges of anything more or beyond such.

An example of this is when people say that man has obscured God and made him into human equality because of his ego way of thinking, it goes both ways really, one thing so many people have misconcepted about the message of Christ is that Jesus says to spread the word and to give freely as all of those that shall receive freely, this means that you can leave it out there, but you cannot make others believe it, the biggest mistake and screw up of all time was when if you didn't believe in Jesus you would have been burned at the stake, Jesus never preached this, man has corrupted that message and turned it into massive controlling manipulation and it goes against the laws of free willl and equality, you shall give freely to your neighbor, but they must receive freely, given by choice and discresion, not by opression to do something against your opinions or beliefs.

Finally I would like to add that the other side of the debate is comparing God with human qualities in an ignorant manner, this arguement couldn't be farther from the truth, if God is being compared to humans are you saying it's okay to do whatever you want and God won't be angry with you at all? Are you saying that God doesn't feel or have emotions? If you are saying that you are saying God is unintelligent, which doesn't even make him "God" really, so what is he then? How incredibly stupid that someone would even state such an opinion, yes it's a stupid one, some people just don't do enough research to look into it and therefore they say something out of lack of recognition and interperetation, I have an idea, what if what humans feel are inheritant? Or do humans just make for themselves emotions? Angry, sadness, happiness, etc? And who's to say religion has limited God AT ALL? Read the bible and you will see it talks about God being limitless and unbinding, that doesn't sound like anything man-made to me to be quite honest with you, so whatever theories you have against God, just remember, you are an ant, and God is the one holding the magnifying glass.

God is like a parent, the pain we experience in life molds us to be stronger in spirit, our body is just a shell, the spirit is your character and personality, make the best of it while you can.

Peace.

Reactions: wiggsfly
Upvote 0

supernova165

Apr 11, 2006
Dunstable
✟8,710.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And if God is all powerful, there would be no struggle between him and his creation. It would be over in a snap. But no, your God decides to watch people suffer for his own sadistic enjoyment. I dont know why. If he can create the universe, why doesnt he wipe away all pain? Simple. He never existed. And if he did, he would not be worthy or worship by any self-loving or intelligent person.

Do you really belive what you just said there?

Well theres this thing call free will for one thing.

In life people suffer, and some times, like for me a have a real big problem and i think, why doesn't God help sometimes. Then I know it for the reason to grow.

If there was no suffering there would be no need for faith or help or goodness or to grow character, really im quite thankful for all the problems I have had, for without them I would be a very different and probally worse person.

If God is God then there is a reason for what He does and doesn't do.

Im not sure if that all made sence so ill stop now.:D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FallingWaters

Woman of God
Mar 29, 2006
Maine
✟38,902.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Now, that kinda peeves me. Why do i need to pick a side? Just because i am not a Democrat doesnt mean im a Republican. Just because i eat meat doesnt mean i dont like vegitarians. Just because i dont believe in your God doesnt mean i believe in your Satan. I believe in neither.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to irritate you. I probably don't understand your point of view well enough to be of any help to you, I guess.

I know God is real because He has touched my heart and healed my wounds.

Upvote 0

Ead

Jun 19, 2006
Montana
✟8,117.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
No God has ever healed my wounds. Either my own body did, or medical science did. You know what would have happened to me if my Mom thought God would fix everything for me? I would be crippled from the waist down. My leg would be twisted and useless, with no hope of recovery. I was born with ill-formed hip sockets, and without medical treatment i would not be walking and running around like i am today. Apparently, God doesnt make people then. That a limiting factor of your God.

Bolty, no one can ever say science disproves any God. Thats like saying my teacup shows that your rock has no merit. They are on dofferent sides of the human thought buddy. It is observable, testable, and seeable things vs faith in what is not there. I would rather not be blind. And since your God doesnt make itself appear, apparently it has less power than infinate.

But Bolty, you can combat religion with the very tool that has let humanity survive for so long. Logic. Logic allows people to think about how touching a red-hoy iron would not be such a good idea. It keeps us from beliving that we ran to keep the world spinning. It keeps us from saying that a giant flaming cookie orbits us. Religion bypasses all logic and speaks to the illogical part of your mind. That part doesnt care about how crazy the idea is, it will accept it as the truth. And THAT is how religions work. They steal your logic away and control you by the part of your mind that should be kept to your dreams and fantasies only. Religion can make people into pushovers or bloodlusting warriors. It is an extremely powerful tool in any case.

But, thats just it. Its a tool. Nothing more. What the tool says is illogical and untrue. Fantasy. You wouldnt believe me that there are creatures with one eye, or sevenor no eyes at all would you? Would be believe me when i said there are creatures out there with the bodies of women, but with wings and talons? Or when i say there is a three-headed dog? Or a woman that can turn men to stone? How about a creature that had 6 wings and was covered in eyes? No, even you guys would say these are all false, correct?

What i am saying is, i cannot give up logic just to fulfil fantasy. That would kill me in the end or turn my into a mindless machine to be puppeted by a person with enough logic left to figure out i am a tool. I will not let that happen to me or my mind. That is also why i cannot believe in any religion in the world.

Reactions: Opethian
Upvote 0

Boltwave

Sep 26, 2005
✟423.00
Faith
Seeker
You silly little peanut, medical treatment is science, yes? And isn't logic a limited perspective being that we are all imperfect and lacking?

Religion isn't complete nonsense, nor is it all fanatacism, I'm afraid you've mixed man made interpertations and not really looking at the hard core concepts being discussed, but I don't have time to go on about it, just consider that most skeptics are usally half assers who don't give a damn about what the bible says because they automatically assume their logic beats all and ends all, which is ignorant and close minded thinking you see, the point of an intellectual discussion is to have the exchange of materials and seek out who has the best arguement, what most skeptics want to do is say "aha! I have found the answer to this religious bunkery!" and they stop considering any other ideas or suggestions.

I only have so much to give in enlightment of your situation and where you stand from, my advice is this: consider religion not as all zealous insanity, and compare logic with ancient writing, you'd be suprised.

Upvote 0

Ead

Jun 19, 2006
Montana
✟8,117.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
You silly little peanut, medical treatment is science, yes?

Yes. And last time i checked, religion does not fit into science due to a little thing called irrelivency. Without science, i would be a cripple. Without religion, well, i would be the same as i am now.

And isn't logic a limited perspective being that we are all imperfect and lacking?

Uh, no. Unless your manic depressive, then logic pertains to problem-solving ability and figuring out what is real and what is not. You dont go around saying that 2 + 2 = 5, because that defies logic. And if you hear someone say that, you want to slap them because they are illogical and ever so slightly stupid.

I only have so much to give in enlightment of your situation and where you stand from, my advice is this: consider religion not as all zealous insanity, and compare logic with ancient writing, you'd be suprised.

Do you study other religions? Have you read the Quron (I dunno how to spell it), or the Torah? Maybe Greek and Egyption? Heck, throw in some Norse just to have a good time. Now, if you can stand up to your words, you would analize every one of these with as much scruteny and unbaisness as you do the Bible. But would you really do that?

Upvote 0

Boltwave

Sep 26, 2005
✟423.00
Faith
Seeker
Yes Ead, to answer your question I do research other religions, ever read the Code of Hammurabi? Now an idiot historian could say the Jews copied from that text and put it into their own words, that is if you were to ignore what Jesus says about an "eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth" and if you look at the Code of Hammurabi carefully, you'll see that it is a strict list of rules and laws that are all about an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.

Hey, while we're at it, let's compare another theory by skeptical historians, the idea that Christians copied Pagan myths, not only is this an illogical conclusion it's also half minded, by the looks of it, Peter and the apostles would have had a difficulty trying to rake in profits and tution from religious zealots while trying to conspire against Pagans, and as history would suggest, the early Hebrews enslaved by the Egyptians wouldn't have had anything to do with "stealing" because the original Pagan docuements go back thousands of years before a united group of Israelites sprouts up and gives a shout (or what we know as the coming of Moses and the covenant.)

Now, Dionysus turned water into whine and Mithras was seen as the savior of humanity and mankind, incidentally they're symbols are both the serpent and the scorpion, anyone want to share what Jesus says about serpents and scorpions in the New Testament? And exactly what it was he was referring too?

I'm sorry Ead you can talk about logic all you want, allot of it comes from half arsed claims about something with limited understanding as I've pointed out just recently, I like it how so many people want to make certain claims and show the blind, stupid, ignorant world of how accurate they are in making them, it's just too bad that like as they say "a mindless flock of sheep" that people miss the small details and are more focused on what you would consider "logic" just because someone else said so.

Yes 2 + 2 = 4, however, logic can either be comprehensive methods and standards or insanity and blind egocentric characterisim. *shrugs*

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

seajoy

Senior Veteran
Jul 5, 2006
michigan
✟19,053.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

Ead,

I hadn't seen one of your posts in awhile. You are still busy trying to convince folks there is no God? If He is not there, why bother...then nothing matters, right?

I do believe all this actually does bother you. God is still working on you. (fortunately for you). Just remember, someday, this life will all be over. Now is the time, before it is too late.

Psalm 14:1 The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God."

I've had a lot of pain in my life, too. What does pain, and whether there is a God or not, have to do with each other? In heaven, the pain from this earth won't matter. We will live in eternal joy. Let go of your anger towards God. Allow Jesus to love you, He would have died for you, had you been the only person who ever lived.

seajoy

Upvote 0

Ead

Jun 19, 2006
Montana
✟8,117.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Ahhh, tricksy i see =P Naw, no deity directs me. Nothing speaks in my head to me to pray or fast or whatever. If there was one, i would believe i had scitzofrinia and would seek medical treatment if it got any worse.

And actually, it does matter, but not for your reasons. I do it for two purposes.

1: To try and prove to some that thier preconceptions about thier own religion may be false or misleading or just plain nutty.

2: It makes for a very entertaining debate

Thats why i keep coming back right now. But, dont get me wrong, i am not being urged on by a higher power, unless that higher power is my own need for entertainment. Actually, i should be concentrating on writing more instead of writing on forums, but its a working process =P

Upvote 0

hizlamb

Depends on my mood
Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
✟7,889.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Heya Ead..

I just noticed yer thread here...was wondering something... are you the same Ead from War of the Angels forum?

If you are..you know me :)
If not, I apologize in advance

Edited to add: actually, now that I read yer profile..I know you are one in the same ;) Do you have a idea who I am..and still wanting a debate? lol

Upvote 0

EmbracingHim

My foundation, my heart, our Rock, our Lord
Sep 3, 2006
California
✟17,581.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am sorry for your sufferings and trials as a child, however...I want to understand your statement, so I have some questions for you.

You are saying 'heal me or I will not accept and love you?'...

How about this:

'If you do not do what I say -- I will not believe in you?'

There are many children who suffer in this world...by the 'hands' of human adult decisions and satan...but not by the hands of God.

Do you forgive the doctor that might be at fault and blame God?

God will not be tested dear soul. If God were to act upon prompt...where would be your 'faith?'

These were your trials ... will you love a God that is good above your own flesh?

It is difficult, I understand as I have suffered physical illness...to be 'exact' at the hands of a doctor that should not be practicing medicine. I do not hold God accountable...and despite pain endured...I thank God for my life and moments of joy.

I do believe that your pain if not already relieved -- will indeed be completely healed. I have full and complete faith in this as God is gracious and you are not without faith ... or you would have not posted this message. I call upon Christ as your mediator to lift you up and light your way so that you might not test God as would a child, but step into His light and see beyond the flesh, so that you might be healed and touched by peace beyond human comprehension.

May you be blessed, loved and well. :prayer:

Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship

first off, what kind of injury did you have? the pain went away, so did you ever think that healing has to take place, and the answer to your prayer can be the healing process, especially when it comes to a small child? healing is an amazing answer of prayer.

i hope you actually plan on having somewhat good discussion instead of telling us about how you lost your faith due to some kind of injury :). which i am sorry for your pain(glad to hear you are healed), but i hope your not trivilizing whatever you went through to disbelieve in God.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.