Montréal, Québec
✟21,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Bloc
Hm.... I sense a lot of tension here in NCR; there is lots of arguing and backbiting and the list goes on.

So I wanted to make a more casual thread that maybe can mellow some of us out. I think we should all talk about how our days have been, our plans for the weekend, etc!

And, to make it "on-topic" so it won't get deleted, we can even speak about our religion. Like maybe if you are Wiccan and went to a Wicca ritual, you can give insight into how it was. Or if you're a Muslim, you can post what they spoke about at Jummah. Or if you're a Christian you can talk about your fasting for the day. The list goes on and on!
------------------------------------------------

So, my day has been pretty well. As most of you know, I am in University but am out for the summer. So I have a part time job to help catch up on some of the bills and just to have some pocket cash for shopping!

Well, also, though I work at fast-food, I NEVER eat fast food, or even food made at restaurants. Like I always make food myself. But, today I am visiting a friend in Gatineau, a suburb of Ottawa, but here in Québec still. It is quite a ways away. However, I was searching for restaurants and discovered that they have a Red Lobster in Ottawa! So, we are going to go to Red Lobster tonight which is great!! Unfortunetely they don't have any Red Lobsters here in Montréal(or I don't think anywhere here in Québec for that matter.)

Also, I don't have a vehicle because I live in downtown Montréal. So, I am renting a car, and it is going to be quite interesting to drive for the first time in a while.

So, I'm going on a mini vacation to Gatineau and Ottawa! It is going to be weird to be in Ottawa, because it is predominently English. Yet, I am used to being in my French city and speaking my native language, French!

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm on my summer break now. I took it easy today, and I also did a little hobby programming recreating Wizardry I in C#. Tomorrow, I'll have a pizza dinner with some friends and relatives. It should be fun.

Let's see, you wanted us to speak about our religions? Yesterday, I had a Skype chat with the current President of the Fellowship of Reason. He's a pleasant guy, and this was my first time speaking with him. (I have spoken with the founder and another member before.)

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

humblemuslim

I am busy currently. Will be less active soon.
Mar 25, 2005
USA
✟19,528.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Been training at work all week. Started a new job 1st of June and have been training since. Though the training period is almost finished :)

In my spare time I have been studying the Qur'an and the Arabic language.

Upvote 0

Penumbra

Traveler
Dec 3, 2008
United States
✟18,536.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Been training at work all week. Started a new job 1st of June and have been training since. Though the training period is almost finished :)

In my spare time I have been studying the Qur'an and the Arabic language.
Your profile says you are a control application engineer. Is that what you were training for? What kind of control applications do you work with?

I did an internship with an automation company after my sophomore year.

-Lyn

Upvote 0

humblemuslim

Mar 25, 2005
USA
✟19,528.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Your profile says you are a control application engineer. Is that what you were training for? What kind of control applications do you work with?

I did an internship with an automation company after my sophomore year.

-Lyn

Yeah. They have been training us in a wide range of metering hardware/software packages. To briefly mention the categories covered:

*TopServer - OPC Server

*Concept - PLC Programming Software Package (We focused on Momentum PLCs, though in the future we will be exposed to Quantum PLCs too along with Unity, which is another PLC Programming Software Package)

*Iconics Software Package (Specific focus on GraphWorx32 graphics application)

*ION Enterprise Software - Meter monitoring software package for ION meters (Has support for some 3rd party meters)

*SMS (System Management Software) - Basically the same as ION in principle just made for PowerLogic Meters (CM4XXX PM8XX Etc.)

*Went over different serial communication wiring standards (RS485/RS422/RS232/Etc.)

*Discussed some NR&D Hardware (Focus on EPE5/SPE4)

*Dicussed other Gateways (Focus on EGX4XX and EGX2XX)

*One week we were sent on a customer site to learn with a mentor where I was exposed to Lantronix Gateways, EGX1XX and EGX3XX Gateways. Also got to travel to Avon Lake Ohio for that trip. It was alot of fun and learned alot.

*We briefly went over some basic hardware troubleshooting on the PowerLogic meters and proper wiring technique.

*There was some electrical safety training / First Aid

*Discussed some proprietary software packages.

*We also briefly touched on some basic power theory, mainly for the people coming into the company that had been out of school for awhile that may have forgotten some theory.

That is an overview of what I have been getting into since June 1st :) Of course they teach some, they test us, then teach more. We also went over some other administrative stuff.

I work for Schneider Electric/Square D Company.

Controls, metering, and automation are all fun/interesting fields to be in.

Upvote 0

humblemuslim

Mar 25, 2005
USA
✟19,528.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I had a root canal done today.

(On the positive side it means I didn't have to go to work today. ^_^)

-Lyn

I had a root canal when I was around 12 if I remember correctly. Don't remember much about it now. Getting my wisdom teeth out overshadowed that experience for me. But I do remember the pain in the teeth before I got the root canal.

Upvote 0

Penumbra

Traveler
Dec 3, 2008
United States
✟18,536.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Yeah. They have been training us in a wide range of metering hardware/software packages. To briefly mention the categories covered:

*TopServer - OPC Server

*Concept - PLC Programming Software Package (We focused on Momentum PLCs, though in the future we will be exposed to Quantum PLCs too along with Unity, which is another PLC Programming Software Package)

*Iconics Software Package (Specific focus on GraphWorx32 graphics application)

*ION Enterprise Software - Meter monitoring software package for ION meters (Has support for some 3rd party meters)

*SMS (System Management Software) - Basically the same as ION in principle just made for PowerLogic Meters (CM4XXX PM8XX Etc.)

*Went over different serial communication wiring standards (RS485/RS422/RS232/Etc.)

*Discussed some NR&D Hardware (Focus on EPE5/SPE4)

*Dicussed other Gateways (Focus on EGX4XX and EGX2XX)

*One week we were sent on a customer site to learn with a mentor where I was exposed to Lantronix Gateways, EGX1XX and EGX3XX Gateways. Also got to travel to Avon Lake Ohio for that trip. It was alot of fun and learned alot.

*We briefly went over some basic hardware troubleshooting on the PowerLogic meters and proper wiring technique.

*There was some electrical safety training / First Aid

*Discussed some proprietary software packages.

*We also briefly touched on some basic power theory, mainly for the people coming into the company that had been out of school for awhile that may have forgotten some theory.

That is an overview of what I have been getting into since June 1st :) Of course they teach some, they test us, then teach more. We also went over some other administrative stuff.

I work for Schneider Electric/Square D Company.

Controls, metering, and automation are all fun/interesting fields to be in.
Sounds good. That's a lot more than I had to learn because I only worked for three months before going back to school.

I'm considering automation/control as a potential career after I graduate in a year, though I'll most likely stop working full time a few years after graduation to go get a graduate degree of some sort and then who knows what career I'll go into.

-Lyn

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Penumbra

Traveler
Dec 3, 2008
United States
✟18,536.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I had a root canal when I was around 12 if I remember correctly. Don't remember much about it now. Getting my wisdom teeth out overshadowed that experience for me. But I do remember the pain in the teeth before I got the root canal.
Yeah I had all four wisdom teeth taken out and that was 10x worse than this.

I'm only a tiny bit sore and a little loopy due to painkillers but it's not that drastic. What's more drastic is that it cost me a week's pay to get it done. :o

-Lyn

Upvote 0

humblemuslim

Mar 25, 2005
USA
✟19,528.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Sounds good. That's a lot more than I had to learn because I only worked for three months before going back to school.

I'm considering automation/control as a potential career after I graduate in a year, though I'll most likely stop working full time a few years after graduation to go get a graduate degree of some sort and then who knows what career I'll go into.

-Lyn

So what kinds of hardware/software did you learn about in the 3 months you were there?

Upvote 0

Penumbra

Traveler
Dec 3, 2008
United States
✟18,536.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
So what kinds of hardware/software did you learn about in the 3 months you were there?
Mostly Rockwell/Allen-Bradley PLCs and software. I had to learn a lot about the equipment we were automating, like industrial printers, bar code scanners, and electric motors. I also had to learn a lot about serial communications like you did. I had to do testing and troubleshooting with hardware from different companies to integrate them all together. Also, I did some wiring for some systems that we made in-house (small company, no technicians available) and also did some documentation for medical automation. Also, I was responsible for driving to some vendor technician sites that were constructing our automation panels for us. Basically, I had to drop off our parts and review their design to ensure it matches what we need.

-Lyn

Upvote 0

Saint Nihilo

Francophone Bibliovore
Jun 17, 2009
Tennessee
✟7,765.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Well I'm on summer break, like others. I got a notice to return some books to the library university in a couple weeks. I wrote some more on a graphic novel project I am doing with a friend of mine who is majoring in graphic design. I had a slow day and I plan on ending it with a cocktail, my own special drink: two shots currant vodka, one shot cherry liquer and fill the rest of the glass with club soda. I reccomend it, highly delicious.

Upvote 0

Penumbra

Traveler
Dec 3, 2008
United States
✟18,536.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Well I'm on summer break, like others. I got a notice to return some books to the library university in a couple weeks. I wrote some more on a graphic novel project I am doing with a friend of mine who is majoring in graphic design. I had a slow day and I plan on ending it with a cocktail, my own special drink: two shots currant vodka, one shot cherry liquer and fill the rest of the glass with club soda. I reccomend it, highly delicious.
What is the graphic novel about?

-Lyn

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

humblemuslim

Mar 25, 2005
USA
✟19,528.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Mostly Rockwell/Allen-Bradley PLCs and software. I had to learn a lot about the equipment we were automating, like industrial printers, bar code scanners, and electric motors. I also had to learn a lot about serial communications like you did. I had to do testing and troubleshooting with hardware from different companies to integrate them all together. Also, I did some wiring for some systems that we made in-house (small company, no technicians available) and also did some documentation for medical automation. Also, I was responsible for driving to some vendor technician sites that were constructing our automation panels for us. Basically, I had to drop off our parts and review their design to ensure it matches what we need.

-Lyn

Cool :) From what I've heard the Allen-Bradley software is really nice. Haven't seen or used it yet though.

Upvote 0

BruceDLimber

Baha'i
Nov 14, 2005
Rockville, Maryland, USA
✟18,339.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Greetings! :)

I can contribute one small bit for this:

At the most recent Nineteen-day Feast (the primary regular meeting for Baha'is) in our local community (Rockville, MD, USA), one of our members (a former State Department employee) told about and passed around a sample coin from a proposed universal currency that's being discussed these days.

It was about the size of a quarter, shaped like a round theta (IOW with two holes through it), and said "Unity in Diversity" on it.

Most fascinating! :)

Regards,

Bruce

Reactions: humblemuslim
Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Mostly Rockwell/Allen-Bradley PLCs and software.
-Lyn

I work for a software developer who's flagship software performs automation and job scheduling. Ever hear of Active Batch?

Upvote 0

Celticflower

charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
It's Friday morning, and so far the day has gone well. This afternoon I will be baking a blueberry pie and some pumpkin cookies! Then I'll make oven fried chicken for dinner.

I should also be looking for something to sing at church next month - I opted out this month so I'm sure Lisa will stick me on the schedule again soon. Time to do something a little different. Maybe I can get Kenny to play guitar on something by IONA.

Upvote 0