How has scientific knowledge affected your faith?

Are you no longer a Christian because of things you learned from science?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Simmo11

Apr 22, 2016
Guernsey UK
✟336.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
People may use trust in science as an alternative to religious faith to cope with life's uncertainties.
How Science Mimics Faith - Scientific American
Taken from the above link.........
Religion provides a sense of meaning and comfort for believers, and studies show that such beliefs intensify during threatening situations. Now research suggests that some people's faith in science may serve the same role.

People do not need "faith" in science because science is based in reality only religions require "faith" because they are based in the minds of people.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
People do not need "faith" in science because science is based in reality only religions require "faith" because they are based in the minds of people.
Look who's back. :)

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Religion provides a sense of meaning and comfort for believers, and studies show that such beliefs intensify during threatening situations. Now research suggests that some people's faith in science may serve the same role.

Some people definitely trust and, at times, misinterpret scientific findings to find comfort in them. I used to be that kind of atheist, before college mellowed me out.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Science only seeks to disprove, through Falsifiabilty and repeatability. It never proves anything or say anything is absolutely true or that person is making an unscientific statement. Therefore science can make no statement on the validity of Christianity as it deals in absolute conceptions and not probabilities.
If Science undermines your Faith then you don't truly understand one or the other or both of them.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

False dichotomy.

Upvote 0

Simmo11

Apr 22, 2016
Guernsey UK
✟336.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Science only seeks to disprove, through Falsifiabilty and repeatability. It never proves anything or say anything is absolutely true or that person is making an unscientific statement. Therefore science can make no statement on the validity of Christianity as it deals in absolute conceptions and not probabilities.
If Science undermines your Faith then you don't truly understand one or the other or both of them.
Either that that or they don't want to understand science because they know what might happen to their faith if they did.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Either that that or they don't want to understand science because they know what might happen to their faith if they did.
Yes, they don't understand then that nothing will happen to their faith at all. A sincere Christian and a sincere Scientist can hold both views simultaneously without contradiction as one is based on probabilty derived from empiric experiment and the other Metaphysics and Faith. Neither can disprove the other as their base principles are incompatible, as if I try to disprove the score in a soccer game by using the rules of chess.

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,926.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I voted:

No, I've seen plenty of scientific knowledge, and it can take a hike.
And yet you seem perfectly at ease using the fruits of science to communicate with others.

I shall say your posts have caused me to reevaluate my understanding of evolution. I now wonder if some humans may not have evolved from older primates, but instead from ostriches.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I live in the Uk where, if people think about it at all, things like Evolution are just taken for granted. It certainly isn't a battleground in the way it seems to be in America. When I started to become interested in Christianity at the age of thirty, I would have been surprised to find any Christians who weren't comfortable with science; let alone a great many.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Scientific knowledge has harmed my faith, the more I learn the harder it is to believe in God. I struggled with faith before I really began to study science, even as a young person. ..but I've kept up with being involved in church and trying to find faith. The more I learn the harder it gets, and I often think I'll only find faith if I get some sort of divine push in that direction

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Reactions: farout
Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Scientific knowledge has harmed my faith, the more I learn the harder it is to believe in God. I struggled with fairh before I really began to study science , even as a young person. ..but I've kept up with being involved in church and trying to find fairh. The more I learn the harder it gets, and I often think I'll only find faith if I get some sort of divine push in that direction

Who created? Who dissects creation?

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Who created? Who dissects creation?
Does the universe require a creator?
As for dissection of creation. .I dunno, kids in biology classes, except those like me who ask to be exempt? I'm sure that's not what you mean, but I'm not sure what you do mean.

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Does the universe require a creator?
As for dissection of creation. .I dunno, kids in biology classes, except those like me who ask to be exempt? I'm sure that's not what you mean, but I'm not sure what you do mean.

Before the beginning of space and time, God. Following the beginning of space and time, zillions of folks cross-examining it, taking it apart, asking endless questions......

Read Genesis 1:1-5, John 1:1-5, 1 John 1:1-4, Hebrews 1:1-4. You can do that now. Just point the cursor at the reference.

Upvote 0

Hoghead1

Oct 27, 2015
✟8,968.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I live in the Uk where, if people think about it at all, things like Evolution are just taken for granted. It certainly isn't a battleground in the way it seems to be in America. When I started to become interested in Christianity at the age of thirty, I would have been surprised to find any Christians who weren't comfortable with science; let alone a great many.
That's very true. The big flab was resolved by the end of teh 19th century, in England. The only place where evolution is still an issue is in the American Bible Belt.

Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0