How does the Fruit of the Spirit refine our nature?

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
How does the Fruit of the Holy Spirit refine our nature?
Even though I suspect that there would be many who wonder much the same thing, where we see the 9 fruits of the Spirit as being in some way a form of power that is equivelant to the 9 Manifestations of the Spirit (1Co 12:7-11); could it be that unlike the 9 MotS, where it is the Holy Spirit who works these aspects of his Ministry through us, it would appear that the 9 fruits of the Spirit are things that we are to both develop and exhibit within our lives through the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit.

A good example of this could be with patience, where as a parent (and a past owner of a Jack Russell Terrier), I would have loved to see pantience being given as a Manifestation of the Spirit, but sadly it seems that it is something that we have to constantly 'strive' for within the influence of the indwelling Holy Spirit. Unbeknown to our past loved Jack Russell, he undoubtedly had little idea that he regularly pushed my 'lack of patience' threshold but thankfully he allowed me to develop this aspect of my life (but one Jack Russell per lifetime is definitely enough).

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
When we are born again we receive the new nature of Jesus our Lord and Saviour within us by the Holy Spirit. The Fruit of the Holy Spirit begins to grow in us. Our old nature with its works of the flesh battles against the new nature,but 'What a wonderful change in my life has been wrought since Jesus came into my heart!' (R H McDaniel). 'The fruit of the Spirit is love,joy , peace,patience,kindness,goodness, faithfulness,gentleness,self-control (Galatians 5:22-23)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
A 93 year old Christian gentleman,who was still riding a bicycle,(but not all the time!) taught me the hymn 'Lord Jesus Christ,grow Thou in me and all things else recede. I would Thy living image be,from sin be daily freed' As Jesus grows in us the Fruit of the Holy Spirit is produced in us!

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Love is a life changer! God is Love and is in us through His Son and by His Holy Spirit. 'Love changes everything!' With the new nature in Christ,the fruit of the Spirit grows in us. As we abide in Christ and He in us fruit becomes abundant!

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
How we thank God for the Fruit of the Holy Spirit.I love the hymn,'O love that wilt not let me go,I rest my weary soul in Thee. I give Thee back the life I owe,that in Thine ocean debts its' flow may richer,fuller be' (George Matheson) His love grows in us and the other fruit grows also!

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,983.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the reminder quietbloke to be more thankful.

Sinful acts are listed in stark contrast to the fruit of The Spirit in Gal 5. With the help of The Holy Spirit, we can make choices that yield good fruit. Yahweh makes a way of escape from temptation and we won't be tempted more what we can bear - meaning when we rely on Him, He overwhelmingly guides us (I Cor 10:13, Gal 5). We can call on Yahweh at any moment for His help to have good fruit. When someone cuts me off in traffic, I can chose to have fits of rage or have peace, patience, and kindness - (btw still working on this one). Sometimes I have to ask Yahweh to help me forgive others which proceeds me having love for them.

In relationship to others, we don't need to let our fruit inspector badges override the love. Sometimes I see a call to look at another believer's fruit but the manner in which it's done, I asks myself where is the love. (Another thing I have to often asks for His help). Matt 7:20; Gal 5

Last edited:
Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Good point 'tturt'. How often we think we are doing well loving others and then something else comes along to test our love. This is how we grow more like Jesus. We can never say that we have arrived,but one day we will arrive in glory and we shall see our Blessed LORD and we shall be like Him. Until then we live in grace confessing our shortcomings and receiving forgiveness and moving on to love Him more!

Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The moment we become a Christian (and Christ is living in us by the Holy Spirit) we begin to develope the fruit of the Spirit.This begins to develope our spiritual nature and revolutionise our life. As we remain in Him and He in us we begin to grow the fruit of the Spirit in us. Wonderful!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
While walking this life Jesus only did what pleased the Father. He was always going about doing His Father's Will. He spent time with Him before sharing with His disciples and the people. If Jesus found it necessary to do this,how much more we? 'O to be like Him!'

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The fruit of the Spirit is the developing nature of Christ,growing in us,by the Holy Spirit. What a transformation! We have to still be aware that the old nature lurks and we battle against the works of the flesh,but we can reign in life when we walk in the Spirit!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums