How does sin affect the presence of God?

wmc1982

Aka "Will" :)
Jul 28, 2006
NC, United States
✟16,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm not trying to figure out how much sin I can do and still be a Christian. I know all sin is based on a lie and I don't want it anyway. But I'm still stuck in this flesh and put that together with Aspergers and dealing with problems with alcohol for 15 years...

I'm trying to understand if God's presence will not be around a believer if there is sin that hasn't been repented of. I mean I get to where I've confessed, repented and I'm confident before God but everything I do is tainted. So I wonder what is the tipping point to where God might not want to be around my sin. I mean I know active addiction hinders His Spirit. I'm in a good counseling situation in my church.

Just wanted to throw that out there. The whole sin issue and how it affects God's presence and power.

I know there's no spirit/sin scale but I wonder if so much sin equals that much less of God's Spirit.

BFine

Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Romans 8
31"In view of all this, what can we say? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32 Certainly not God, who did not even keep back his own Son, but offered him for us all!

He gave us his Son—will he not also freely give us all things?
33 Who will accuse God's chosen people?
God himself declares them not guilty!

34 Who, then, will condemn them? Not Christ Jesus, who died, or rather, who was raised to life and is at the right side of God, pleading with him for us!

35 Who, then, can separate us from the love of Christ?
Can trouble do it, or hardship or persecution or hunger
or poverty or danger or death?
36 As the scripture says,
“For your sake we are in danger of death at all times;
we are treated like sheep that are going to be slaughtered.”

37 No, in all these things we have complete victory through him who loved us!
38 For I am certain that nothing can separate us from his love: neither death nor life, neither angels nor other heavenly rulers or powers, neither the present nor the future,
39 neither the world above nor the world below—there is nothing in all creation that will ever be able to separate us from the love of God which is ours through Christ Jesus our Lord."

Reactions: Thir7ySev3n
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Asking Yahweh for G_dly sorrow is what I'm learning "For [godly] sorrow that is in accord with the will of God produces a repentance without regret, leading to salvation; but worldly sorrow [the hopeless sorrow of those who do not believe] produces death." II Cor 7:10

Also, I'm asking Yahweh to help me to accept His forgiveness "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." I John 1:9

Upvote 0

GuyNad

Jan 22, 2016
Edmundston
✟23,540.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I'm not trying to figure out how much sin I can do and still be a Christian. I know all sin is based on a lie and I don't want it anyway. But I'm still stuck in this flesh and put that together with Aspergers and dealing with problems with alcohol for 15 years...

I'm trying to understand if God's presence will not be around a believer if there is sin that hasn't been repented of. I mean I get to where I've confessed, repented and I'm confident before God but everything I do is tainted. So I wonder what is the tipping point to where God might not want to be around my sin. I mean I know active addiction hinders His Spirit. I'm in a good counseling situation in my church.

Just wanted to throw that out there. The whole sin issue and how it affects God's presence and power.

I know there's no spirit/sin scale but I wonder if so much sin equals that much less of God's Spirit.

It was when I was really deep in my alcoholism... Feeling cut off from church or any other support groups that the grace of God was revealed even more to me.

I'm not saying that to encourage people to stay in such condition because it was like hell on earth to me. But even then, I felt that God had put hope in my heart that his grace was stronger than my condition and situation.

I'm going on 12 years sober now with his help and help of others. And though I know that grace is an undeserved gift, I have things to continue to do if I want to remain sober. But with his grace as fuel it makes things smoother.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
1Jn 2:1-2 KJV
(1) My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
(2) And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

sin doesn't affect God's presence in the reborn believer at all, but focus on sin can affect your perception/realization/awareness of God's faithful, continuous, loving presence in you. sin isn't a problem for God at all - as Jesus, He has paid for the sins of the WHOLE WORLD, lost and reborn alike. God isn't relating to you according to your flawed performance, but according to His perfect performance as Jesus; He's looking at the intent of your heart. it's almost too good to be true - gospel!

Heb 9:13-14 KJV
(13) For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh:
(14) How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

you have to renew your mind with His word to shift your focus from your performance shortfalls to your heart-intent - which is to say to 'retrain' your conscious with His word so that it's not focused on your performance but on your heart's intent. when you set your heart to be led by God rather than your own intellect and experience, the devil will stop trying to push you back into sin - he'll run around to your back and start pushing you into self-condemnation over sin; the more you reduce sin in your life by your own strength and understanding, the more he will focus your attention on the sins you haven't overcome yet - he wants to stop your faith and help you to leave this life as quickly as possible to minimize the impact you might have on others to help them understand God's limitless goodness and faithfulness - stop helping him by re-focusing on being led by God, using His word as the way to confirm His leading rather than the set of 10,000 or so rules that you must apply and obey correctly in each situation according to your own strength and understanding. it's not your job to 'stop all that sinning'; your job is to learn to be led by the Spirit of God, the Holy Spirit, that lives inside of you - and the more effective you become at being led by God, the less you will transgress His laws - as He will never lead you to sin.

God's forgiveness has already been given to everyone, but only those who receive it as a free gift, regardless of their performance, will benefit from that forgiveness. the essence of sin is not believing God about something - all transgressions of His laws are the birth of this conception of unbelief - if you don't believe you were forgiven of ALL you sins (past, present and future from your current perspective in time) some 2000 years before you were born, then you will find yourself on a tread mill of condemnation that accelerates the more you try to 'stop all that sinning' and keeps you going nowhere in your spiritual walk.

Col 1:4-17 KJV
(4) Since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus, and of the love which ye have to all the saints,
(5) For the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, whereof ye heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel;
(6) Which is come unto you, as it is in all the world; and bringeth forth fruit, as it doth also in you, since the day ye heard of it, and knew the grace of God in truth:
(7) As ye also learned of Epaphras our dear fellowservant, who is for you a faithful minister of Christ;
(8) Who also declared unto us your love in the Spirit.
(9) For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;
(10) That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;
(11) Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;
(12) Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:
(13) Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:
(14) In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

(15) Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:
(16) For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
(17) And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

notice that God has already done all He needs to do - but you must believe Him to benefit from what He's already accomplished.

for example, when will you believe that you're already forgiven for all your sins (past, present and future)? now according to His word, or when your performance is flawless? what is your decision based on - His word or what you perceive with your 5 senses (such as your imperfect performance)? when will you believe that you've already been delivered from the power of darkness of Aspergers? now according to His word, or when you no longer see symptoms, or when a doctor tells you this? what is your decision based on - His word or what you perceive with your 5 senses (such as symptoms and doctor's reports)?

Rom 4:13-22 KJV
(13) For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith.
(14) For if they which are of the law be heirs, faith is made void, and the promise made of none effect:
(15) Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.
(16) Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all,
(17) (As it is written, I have made thee a father of many nations,) before him whom he believed, even God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were.
(18) Who against hope believed in hope, that he might become the father of many nations, according to that which was spoken, So shall thy seed be.
(19) And being not weak in faith, he considered not his own body now dead, when he was about an hundred years old, neither yet the deadness of Sara's womb:
(20) He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God;
(21) And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform.
(22) And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness.

Reactions: BFine
Upvote 0
Jun 14, 2009
✟14,916.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
If you are born again from the Holy Spirit, you get a new divine nature in your heart or spirit, because the Holy Spirit lives in you. Your born again spirit, is a new creation, perfect, and does not want to sin, because it has the divine nature in it. But, your mind needs renewing by the Word of God, in order to start thinking like God thinks. The sinful nature lives in our bodies. So we have a choice to make each day, will we follow the desire of our born again spirit, and so do the will of God, or we will give in to the sinful nature in our bodies. The choice is entirely ours.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Everyone of us that walks in the flesh..ie. We still alive on earth in our bodies, has this sin, but jesus died and rose again to set us free. What does this mean?

Well when we are baptised in Him we are raised to a new life, and cast aside our sin as a filthy garment. Like lazarus throwing off his grave clothes. Not that we walk around naked! We are then clothed in christ. Its His righteousness, not our own. The bible says to walk after the spirit, not the flesh.

If we still having troubles each day with sin perhaps you need to fast or have elders pray with you to be completely delivered. If we do sin, we are quick to confess and repent our sin and God forgives us. Thats why we need to keep renewing our minds with His word to remind us to follow Him alone, not the ways of the world, because only by following Jesus will we be led to eternal life. Does this make sense?

Nothing sinful can enter into his Kingdom. Heaven is a clean joyous place with no sorrow or crying. He wont allow it. No corruption can enter, its like you have this totally completely perfect, lovely abode and you dont want dirty smelly rotten things in it and flies and maggots and dust.

Upvote 0