how does one tell if any given text is symbolic or literal?

racer

Contributor
Aug 5, 2003
Oklahoma
✟24,729.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Sorry to be redundant, but here's a start from St. Augustine a 4th Centuray A.D. church scholar, father, and doctor. I think he addresses this very succinctly. You can find more info from him at www.ccel.org, Church Fathers, St. Augustine On Christian Docrtine, Book III:

Chapter 10.—How We are to Discern Whether a Phrase is Figurative.

14. But in addition to the foregoing rule, which guards us against taking a metaphorical form of speech as if it were literal, we must also pay heed to that which tells us not to take a literal form of speech as if it were figurative.

In the first place, then, we must show the way to find out whether a phrase is literal or figurative. And the way is certainly as follows:

Whatever there is in the word of God that cannot, when taken literally, be referred either to purity of life or soundness of doctrine, you may set down as figurative. Purity of life has reference to the love of God 561 and one’s neighbor; soundness of doctrine to the knowledge of God and one’s neighbor. Every man, moreover, has hope in his own conscience, so far as he perceives that he has attained to the love and knowledge of God and his neighbor. Now all these matters have been spoken of in the first book.

15. But as men are prone to estimate sins, not by reference to their inherent sinfulness, but rather by reference to their own customs, it frequently happens that a man will think nothing blameable except what the men of his own country and time are accustomed to condemn, and nothing worthy of praise or approval except what is sanctioned by the custom of his companions; and thus it comes to pass, that if Scripture either enjoins what is opposed to the customs of the hearers, or condemns what is not so opposed, and if at the same time the authority of the word has a hold upon their minds, they think that the expression is figurative. Now Scripture enjoins nothing except charity, and condemns nothing except lust, and in that way fashions the lives of men. In the same way, if an erroneous opinion has taken possession of the mind, men think that whatever Scripture asserts contrary to this must be figurative. Now Scripture asserts nothing but the catholic faith, in regard to things past, future, and present. It is a narrative of the past, a prophecy of the future, and a description of the present. But all these tend to nourish and strengthen charity, and to overcome and root out lust.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vnct

May 19, 2009
✟15,410.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Interpretation of a term or passage depends on the context and type of literature (genre). Context includes immediate (verse), larger (passage/book), and canonical (entire Bible). Also factoring in the equation is one's approach to Scripture, which includes a number of presuppositions that a person holds. Presuppositions consist of concepts one has adopted through denominational heritage/background and one's theological perspective.
often when i ask many people questions about particular scripture units, they offer me a heavy amount of pretextual presuppositions with no idea that they're doing so. it seems like 9 out of 10 people do this without directly answering my questions. they just tell me what they personally believe, but they offer absolutely no basis for it other than a loose interpretation of a scripture unit. not to sound negative, but my impression is that 9 out of 10 people have absolutely no practical guideline when it comes to scripture interpretation.

Upvote 0

racer

Contributor
Aug 5, 2003
Oklahoma
✟24,729.00
Faith
Pentecostal
often when i ask many people questions about particular scripture units, they offer me a heavy amount of pretextual presuppositions with no idea that they're doing so. it seems like 9 out of 10 people do this without directly answering my questions. they just tell me what they personally believe, but they offer absolutely no basis for it other than a loose interpretation of a scripture unit. not to sound negative, but my impression is that 9 out of 10 people have absolutely no practical guideline when it comes to scripture interpretation.
So what is it you really want to know? Are you asking because you're not sure (yourself) how to determine scriptural interpretation? Or are you testing others to see if they have a clue? IOWs, what is your point?

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
*snip of OP"

for example, the book of revelation also refers to the 'tree of life' in a manner similar to the genesis account:.......
Greetings and very good question and thread.
I hear there as some that view both the creation and flood events as "symbolic/metaphorical" rather than literal.

Aside from that, I can view Revelation as both a type of the Flood event and the Passover event. I found this interesting when harmonizing Revelation to a lot of the OT/OC of the Bible.

Jesus does indeed mention the flood in His discourse of Matt 24 and the Olivet discourse. Pretty fascinating. Thoughts?

Genesis 6:13 And Elohiym is saying to Noah "end of All Flesh come before Me, that is full the land of wrong/violence from presences of them.
And behold Me! ruining/07843 shachath them the land".

Matthew 24:38 "For as in the days before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark,

Reve 11:18 and the nations are angered and came the wrath of Thee and the time of the dead to be judged. And to give the wages to the bond-servants of Thee, the prophets, and to the saints, and to the ones fearing the name of Thee, the small ones and the great ones, and to blight/thru-corrupt/diafqeirai <1311> (5658) the Ones blighting/thru-corrupting/diafqeirontaV <1311> (5723) the land. [Genesis 6:11-13]

Upvote 0

JudaicChristian

Feb 21, 2009
✟2,215.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
who determines if a text is logical or not? for example, the physical resurrection of Jesus is not logical to a friend of mine. he therefore asserts that the resurrection of Jesus is merely metaphorical.

I'm sorry I missed this post. Anyway, the resurrection is literal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Would one be considered "unorthodox" if one viewed it as "symbolic".

Luke 2:34 is an interesting verse as this appears to be the only place in the NT the word "resurrection" isn't used in most bible versions. Never understood why.

http://www.scripture4all.org/

Luke 2:34 And Simon blesses them and said toward Mary His mother "behold! this-one is set/lying for the falling and Ressurection/standing-up/ana-stasin <386> in many to-the Israel and into a Sign spoken against" [Ezekiel 37 "valley of bones"/Reve 11:11/20:5?]

Reve 20:5 The rest of the dead ones not live until should be being finished the thousands years.
This the resurrection/standing-up/ana-stasiV <386>, the first. [Reve 11:11?]

Upvote 0

JudaicChristian

Feb 21, 2009
✟2,215.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Would one be considered "unorthodox" if one viewed it as "symbolic".

Luke 2:34 is an interesting verse as this appears to be the only place in the NT the word "resurrection" isn't used in most bible versions. Never understood why.

Scripture4All - Greek/Hebrew interlinear Bible software

Luke 2:34 And Simon blesses them and said toward Mary His mother "behold! this-one is set/lying for the falling and Ressurection/standing-up/ana-stasin <386> in many to-the Israel and into a Sign spoken against" [Ezekiel 37 "valley of bones"/Reve 11:11/20:5?]

Reve 20:5 The rest of the dead ones not live until should be being finished the thousands years.
This the resurrection/standing-up/ana-stasiV <386>, the first. [Reve 11:11?]

Even if the word "resurrection" is not biblical, it is still understood as being called back into being. I do not think that it hurts anything to use that word.

Upvote 0

JudaicChristian

Feb 21, 2009
✟2,215.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

i've neither referenced the term 'parable' nor the word 'fiction'.

the question is: how does one tell if any given text is 'symbolic' or 'literal'?

and? no references?

"if we thus assume that the 'tree of life' is fictional, shall we then assume that the genesis creation account is also fictional, since it too depicts the 'tree of life'? is the genesis creation account also fictional?"

Revelation 1:19....will take place later. The seven stars are the messengers of the seven congregations, and the seven lampsticks are the seven congregations.
Mark 3:17
...Sons of Thunder...
Revelation 4:5
...seven lampsticks were blazing. These are the seven spirits of God.
Revelation 10:3
...the seven thunders spoke.
Revelation 19:6
...a great multitude... ...thunder, shouting: "Hallelujah!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Even if the word "resurrection" is not biblical, it is still understood as being called back into being. I do not think that it hurts anything to use that word.
I never implied it wasn't biblical, but the way it is rendered in the Greek.

Ressurection I believe implies first a "rousing/waking up", then standing up, as these 2 witnesses do in Reve 11:11.

They then ascend to heaven. Anyone want to discuss those 2 witnesses? :wave:

Reve 11:11 And after the three days and half-equal, a spirit/breath of life out of the God entered in them and they stand/esthsan <2476> (5627) on their feet and great fear falls upon the ones observing them.

This word has the prefix "ana" with the word "stand" which literally means a "standing up".

Reve 20:5 The rest of the dead ones not live until should be being finished the thousands years. This the resurrection/standing-up/ana-stasiV <386>, the first.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Very rarely is that a strictly either or. It's more usually a question of to what extent and in what ways is this literal and to what extent and in what ways is this symbolic? If the question needs to be asked at all.

The answer usually involves a lot of hard work, discernment, opinion, looking at connected texts and genres, etc.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
We confuse rather than clarify the issue if we talk about literal when we mean something else. Primarily the question raised of the resurrection is not whether it is or is not literal, but whether it is or is not physical.

Upvote 0

JudaicChristian

Feb 21, 2009
✟2,215.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I never implied it wasn't biblical, but the way it is rendered in the Greek.

Ressurection I believe implies first a "rousing/waking up", then standing up, as these 2 witnesses do in Reve 11:11.

They then ascend to heaven. Anyone want to discuss those 2 witnesses? :wave:

Reve 11:11 And after the three days and half-equal, a spirit/breath of life out of the God entered in them and they stand/esthsan <2476> (5627) on their feet and great fear falls upon the ones observing them.

This word has the prefix "ana" with the word "stand" which literally means a "standing up".

Reve 20:5 The rest of the dead ones not live until should be being finished the thousands years. This the resurrection/standing-up/ana-stasiV <386>, the first.

I just got in trouble for saying a negative historical thing, in regards to a group. How about a different question? If your PM box was not full, I would send a PM.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

angrylittlefisherman

the worst of sinners
Jun 22, 2008
occidental ca
✟15,926.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

for example, the book of revelation also refers to the 'tree of life' in a manner similar to the genesis account:

Revelation 22:2 (New International Version)
down the middle of the great street of the city. On each side of the river stood the tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month. And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations.

Revelation 22:14 (New International Version)
"Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city.

Revelation 22:19 (New International Version)
And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.

if we thus assume that the 'tree of life' is fictional, shall we then assume that the genesis creation account is also fictional, since it too depicts the 'tree of life'? is the genesis creation account also fictional?

-

how does one interpret the following scripture units? are these conscious souls in the afterlife? or are these references merely symbolic?

Isaiah 14
9 "Sheol from beneath is excited over you to meet you when you come; It arouses for you the spirits of the dead, all the leaders of the earth; It raises all the kings of the nations from their thrones.
10 "They will all respond and say to you, 'Even you have been made weak as we, You have become like us.
11 'Your pomp and the music of your harps Have been brought down to Sheol; Maggots are spread out as your bed beneath you And worms are your covering.'
(NAS95)

1 Samuel 28
13 The king said to her, "Do not be afraid; but what do you see?" And the woman said to Saul, "I see a divine being coming up out of the earth."
14 He said to her, "What is his form?" And she said, "An old man is coming up, and he is wrapped with a robe." And Saul knew that it was Samuel, and he bowed with his face to the ground and did homage.
15 Then Samuel said to Saul, "Why have you disturbed me by bringing me up?" And Saul answered, "I am greatly distressed; for the Philistines are waging war against me, and God has departed from me and no longer answers me, either through prophets or by dreams; therefore I have called you, that you may make known to me what I should do."
(NAS95)

It is for this purpose that tradition exists.

Upvote 0
C

Cross Reference

We confuse rather than clarify the issue if we talk about literal when we mean something else. Primarily the question raised of the resurrection is not whether it is or is not literal, but whether it is or is not physical.

If Thomas saw and touched the nail prints in the hands of Jesus, why wouldn't that be physical enough for you to accept as being, literal?

If you are looking for an excuse not to believe, you don't have to jump through hoops. Just say you don't believe what is written about Jesus Christ. Then you can explain it all to yourself as to why you don't accept the facts.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
If Thomas saw and touched the nail prints in the hands of Jesus, why wouldn't that be physical enough for you to accept as being, literal?

If you are looking for an excuse not to believe, you don't have to jump through hoops. Just say you don't believe what is written about Jesus Christ. Then you can explain it all to yourself as to why you don't accept the facts.
Woh! I didn't say I do not believe in the physical resurrection - I do.

What I am saying is that very often when people do not it is not that they do not believe in a literal resurrection but that the literal resurrection they believe in is non-physical. Physical vs non-physical refers to the nature of the event itself. Literal vs non-literal refers to the texts talking about the event. They are not interchangable sets of terms, and we should be precise about which we use. You can have a non-literal reference to a physical event, or a literal reference to a non-physical event, or any other combination.

Upvote 0
S

SpiritDriven

for example, the book of revelation also refers to the 'tree of life' in a manner similar to the genesis account:

Revelation 22:2 (New International Version)
down the middle of the great street of the city. On each side of the river stood the tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month. And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations.

Revelation 22:14 (New International Version)
"Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city.

Revelation 22:19 (New International Version)
And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.

if we thus assume that the 'tree of life' is fictional, shall we then assume that the genesis creation account is also fictional, since it too depicts the 'tree of life'? is the genesis creation account also fictional?

-

how does one interpret the following scripture units? are these conscious souls in the afterlife? or are these references merely symbolic?

Isaiah 14
9 "Sheol from beneath is excited over you to meet you when you come; It arouses for you the spirits of the dead, all the leaders of the earth; It raises all the kings of the nations from their thrones.
10 "They will all respond and say to you, 'Even you have been made weak as we, You have become like us.
11 'Your pomp and the music of your harps Have been brought down to Sheol; Maggots are spread out as your bed beneath you And worms are your covering.'
(NAS95)

1 Samuel 28
13 The king said to her, "Do not be afraid; but what do you see?" And the woman said to Saul, "I see a divine being coming up out of the earth."
14 He said to her, "What is his form?" And she said, "An old man is coming up, and he is wrapped with a robe." And Saul knew that it was Samuel, and he bowed with his face to the ground and did homage.
15 Then Samuel said to Saul, "Why have you disturbed me by bringing me up?" And Saul answered, "I am greatly distressed; for the Philistines are waging war against me, and God has departed from me and no longer answers me, either through prophets or by dreams; therefore I have called you, that you may make known to me what I should do."
(NAS95)

God does the revealing to the individual....that is what makes the Bible such a legendary book.

God decides the level of understanding of each person....what an awesome God indeed....

Upvote 0