Not open for further replies.

raining_blessings

Child of God
Mar 17, 2004
Alabama
✟15,112.00
Faith
Christian
:help: How do you study the bible? How do you pick where to start? Do you keep a notebook and if so what do you put in it?
Also how do your deal with praying? DO you keep a prayer journal and if so what format do you use there? Trying to get deeper into God and would like all the advice I can get!
Thank you,
Ashley

P

Protestant Minister

One of the nice things about Christianity is thjat it doesn't have all the strict rules that most other religions have.Most Christian rituals in fact are man-made.Jesus had an extremely informal ministry with no rituals at all as far as the bible reveals.

The first step is to get a modern English translation of the bible.It's best to go to a Christian bookstore and flip through several different ones. so you make a good choice best suited for you.It's definitely best to start reading the New Testament first.How much you read each week is totally up to you,but Christians are required to spend a full day once a week in religious activities so that will give you pleanty of reading time.

A notebook or prayer journal isn't necessary but you may want to make notes in your bible.And you might want to create a list of verses that you want to re-read later.At a bookstore you can buy refernce books that explain bible verses. in detail If you send me a personal message I can give you a link to an internet bible search engine and bible commentary service that's really amazing.

But all this won't really get you that much "deeper into God".For that you need what is called the baptism of the Holy Spirit.Pray for it by name.Once you receive it from God,you'll be in a personal relationship with Him.I mean that's really deep!It's the ultimate Christian experince here on earth.

Upvote 0

Sahz

Mar 11, 2004
Manchester
✟7,619.00
Faith
Christian
I agree with Protestant Minister here!! I actually use the NASB Life Application bible and I dunno if anyone agrees but it's really good because it has in-text notes help readers to understand the message of Scripture and apply it to their lives in a practical way!! I do use it alongside the Auhorised version though! As for notebooks I just tend to use one for Scriptures and important things I pick up whilst on my journey! Other times I just highlight things and make notes in my bible! :)

Upvote 0

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sahz,
I have a copy of that Bible. I agree, it's very good for study.

raining,
This is how I study. I start by flipping to a random passage. Then, I place the open Bible over my face for an hour. This allows me to absorb the God's word through osmosis. After that I pray over what I've absorbed.

:D :D
Kidding, of course.
:D :D

Actually, my wife and I have been selecting books of the Bible and reading through them together a chapter a day and then discussing them. I am also involved in a class through our church which requires study of the Bible as well as resource material.

Study guides, note taking, highlighting, journaling and such are all wonderful tools to enhance your Bible study. The only one that stands out for me is meditation. I don't mean the kind of meditation practiced by the world. Rather, Biblical meditation is just that; focusing your thoughts on God's word.

I've got a couple of books to recommend for you:
1) How to study Your Bible, by Kay Arthur
2) Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life, by Donald Whitney

Upvote 0

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MeganheartsJesus

Cross Chick
Feb 27, 2004
Heaven is my home!
✟261.00
Faith
Christian
Does anyone know of a good teen bible? I wanted to get one to see how it is different and how they it is applied to teens. I was reading the Life Application Bible and like Knight said, it wasn't really cutting it for me because it seemed like I was zipping through the passages really quickly without soaking that much up. So I started reading NRSV, which helped me meditate more on what I was reading. However, I do understand how some people would like the Life Application Bible better. Just read whatever works for you and is translated well. :)

Upvote 0

Beanface

Servant of the Lord
Jan 14, 2004
Toronto
✟2,164.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I've got a student's life application bible in NLT.. and it's wonderful for me. Just got it this christmas, and seeing as how I hadn't read a bible before, this helps me understand, because I dont have to try to translate it to modern english like i would the KJV..

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.