How do you prove man is sinful by nature?

obsolete

Quench not Love
Jun 27, 2007
MyHomeTown
✟103,343.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because Christians have been nice because Jesus commands them to, many people are influenced by Christian culture and think people in general may be good by nature.

What is a good argument that humans are sinful by nature?

Flesh fights against the spirit, s the spirit nature is different from the flesh nature. Flesh nature is in control unless controlled by the Holy Spirit. Flesh nature is also controlled by the mind but doesn't hold up to the standards originally there before the fall, and falls short of God's standards. Human standards have their own version of what comprises a depraved person but according to God's standards nothing can measure up.So, what God calls a sinful nature people may not. A good argument would be that God went to all that trouble to get us out of that nature.

Upvote 0

ProScribe

May 20, 2008
Granbury,TX
✟7,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It looks like Adam sinned by disobedience. Adam was in perfect communion with God before the Fall. As a result of sin, we inherit the flaws and imperfections in our human nature. There's the Augustinian view of original sin - our sinful nature is inherited through our parents ~ and there is the Orthodox view of ancestral sin - we sin through our choices, descisions and actions.

Upvote 0

sungaunga

Jul 10, 2009
✟27,471.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As ProScribe mentions, our kids got their sinful nature from us, we got it from our parents, our parents got it from their parents, and so on, all the way back to Adam. In other words, Adam’s fall tainted the entire human race with sin. Both the guilt and the corruption of sin are universal. The apostle Paul wrote, "Through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned" He adds "Through one transgression there resulted condemnation to all men" Also look at how death operates in this world. There is a new statistics out, it says 1 out of 1 people die in the world. No one is exempt.

Another angle we can look at it is this. Are we able to keep the 10 commandments? Perfectly? No, and thats because of sin. Even thinking an evil thought is sin. Job says "Who is born of a woman that he should be righteous?" As I said earlier, I am not a sinner because I sin, I sin because I'm a sinner. We must be born again. The operative word being again.

hope that helps ^^

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wayseer

Jun 10, 2008
Maryborough, QLD, Australia
✟11,131.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Because Christians have been nice because Jesus commands them to, many people are influenced by Christian culture and think people in general may be good by nature.

I don't what constitutes 'sinful'.

Apart from that, anthropological studies show that whatever our 'nature' might be most of it is learned.

Upvote 0

shinbits

Dec 4, 2005
New York
✟14,001.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How about the news?

Or that we need police?
Or that we need locks on doors?
Or that we need passwords?
Or an army?
Or prisons?

If humans weren't sinful by nature, we wouldn't need things to protect us from humans.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

By his created nature or his fallen nature?

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Flesh fights against the spirit, s the spirit nature is different from the flesh nature. Flesh nature is in control unless controlled by the Holy Spirit. Flesh nature is also controlled by the mind but doesn't hold up to the standards originally there before the fall, and falls short of God's standards. Human standards have their own version of what comprises a depraved person but according to God's standards nothing can measure up.So, what God calls a sinful nature people may not. A good argument would be that God went to all that trouble to get us out of that nature.

The flesh is weak, but it is not against us. It is part of our created nature.

Do you agree?

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

obsolete

Quench not Love
Jun 27, 2007
MyHomeTown
✟103,343.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The flesh is weak, but it is not against us. It is part of our created nature.

Do you agree?

Forgive me...

Weak in comparison to what? the spirit? According to scripture the spirit is willing, but the flesh does contrary to the spirit. It works against the spirit.

Who's to say whether the flesh wasn't the clothing provided after the fall.

Upvote 0

RibI

Jul 31, 2009
✟1,531.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Look at the history of man. Murder, disease, theft, adultry, lies, child abuse, war and on and on.
Look at the fruit of man's normal way of life. The results of man going his own way is nothing but evil.
Read the news.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Who's to say whether the flesh wasn't the clothing provided after the fall.

It very well could have been, however, that would have been made by God as well. Our flesh has a good created nature, just like our spirit.

We were created as a whole being. We are fallen, and yes... in that state "we" work against ourselves. The spirit is stronger than the flesh, but the flesh is not created bad.

Forgive me...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear JimSager. Your replies have been good, I like to point out 2 reasons why Man is sinful. Inherited through our ancestors, and learned/taught by surroundings. Adam and Eve, our proto-types, were good while only surrounded by good, but when temptation reared its head, they lost their goodness. Our world is an imperfect world, where temptations surround us from an early age. Our Good, which God gave us, is not strong enough to withstand the selfishness and wilfullness of our inherited nature. The world is our learning-arena. We have a Saviour who died that we might live, and we have God to forgive us everytime we fall/stumble, when we ask sincerely in prayer. We also have years to learn to become better and better. We are sinful by nature and temptations, but we are given the chance to Repent, to become as God wants us again, as He had made us. And praise to God our Heavenly Father, we have Jesus waiting to lead us back to where we came from. I say this humbly and with love, JimSager. Greetings from Emmy, sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

catzrfluffy

i come bearing .gifs
Sep 4, 2009
palisades park
✟22,445.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
JimSager said:

Well, look at toddlers, don't they throw tantrums, want what they want now, are greedy and selfish, hit others to get what they want? We were all like this as children. We have to be taught to be good, and what good and bad is, we are inherently sinful and selfish. Then just look at what happens when people are not educated in this way.

Upvote 0