Discussion How do you present your body as a living sacrifice?

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
12 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.

i was always taught that this was concerning remaining sexually pure and without a doube it does. But it also concerns our physical state.

The Old Testement sacrifices had to be blemish free, they also had to be without sickness, be free from injury. Etc.

The biggest physical challenge in the Body today is weight and the effects of obesity. Diabetes, cardio vascular disease, combined with the muscular skeleton problems excessive weight.

Now, there are times that disease and injury can and does cause weight gain, I understand that, there are things you can do to help those cases also.

It doesn't take away from the command of scripture to present our bodies as living sacrifices.

A number of years a go I fought weight. 65 pounds overweight. I tried every diet and fad there was. Nothing worked until I took it to God.

I learned that is was not psychological, nor had anything to do with physiology or my metabolism rate. It had everything to do with my self control and learnng to die to the flesh.

If I gained weight by eating too much and too much fats and not exercising. Then if I used a gift of the Spirit, self control, I could change

No fancy diet, no strenuous excercise or gym membership.

This is what I was led to do. Drink and 8 ounce glass of water every hour. Eat whatever I want, just not as much. It took a lot of denying my flesh. But after a while it became a habit.

Long story short I do a 30min walk in the morning and follow the above and I lost 50 of the 65 pounds in about seven months. I don't take high blood pressure medicine any more and at 55 I have minimal trouble with joints.

I think we should work on our temples.

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I believe it has to do with decisions.

Decisions that move the body to do one thing instead of something else.

On Sunday morning what is the decision?

Do we go to church or do something else.

Do we go help with a current church project such as VBS or go fishing.

Do we help a neighbor move the couch or something else.

Do we participate in church as usher, etc. or just fill a chair all the time.

ETC.

Upvote 0

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian
How do you present your body as a living sacrifice?

Christianity is not what we do, but what Christ does for us, in us, and through us. Our one responsibility is the singular response of faith. To "present" is faith offering ourselves to the rightful owner. To present our bodies as a living sacrifice is to make ourselves available by faith to Christ and His activity. Our availability to His ability is our spiritual service of worship.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
does anybody read Op?
yes .. and thats my answer in a most simplistic form :)
after all if our body is a temple of the Holy Spiirt .. and in context purchased by the lord ..reddemed back nto himself and he is the LORD of the temple .. then to care for the temple we must do so in obedience to HIM not our own will .. its a growth thing :)

the verse says "holy" and acceptable there's that word Holy again .. to be separated unto to God . the lord does this at the point of salvation .but it ,i think , is up to us to maintain it and as he knows far better how to do so we are wise to walk in obedience to his leading in all things building upon the foundation of Grace which he has laid .

i should add in regard to weight loss i shared testimony some time ago .
i had become very uncomfortably over weight and was beginning to have the associated health problems (some very concerning-ie waking at 3am and laying on the floor of my lounge having very strange "turns" ..a bit frightening at the time .
I called on the lord and I asked him to give me the "wisdom" to lose weight and honor him in my body . the lord led me on a rather interesting journey .and as i listened to the Holy Spirits leading and obeyed him .. an interesting occurrence took place .. i lost 19KG ( thats approx 40 pounds ) in 10 weeks without any exercise other then a 10 minute walk with the baby in a pram - i kid you not . i was as amazed as any one .the lord leads each of us for our own good .. always for our good and the manner in which he does so is so varied .but the common factor is always - obedience :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

geetrue

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2006
Beach House
Visit site
✟73,776.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Good testimony ... the body is controlled by the mind, right?

"Love the Lord thy god with all of thy heart and all of thy soul and all of thy mind and with all of thy strength"

That's from memory ... did I get it right?

Thy word is like a lamp for my feet a light for my path or is it the other way around?

If God is number one then sin is blocked almost immediately, but he will let some of us make a mistake on purpose just to prove a point that we shouldn't have left Him in the first place.

Great testimony Simply Put ... add it to the testimony sticky. I'm sure it will inspire someone else.

I know it did me :)

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It all depends on what kind of sacrifice the law states...
huh? i would think it speaks of it in terms of laying down our own life ,will, wants ..in order to preform Gods will in us and through us.
nothing to do with "law' and sacrifice what so ever -lol don't even go there

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Beloved, I want to... move you so that you cannot rest till God gets you so for Himself that you will become bread for the people, water for the thirsty ground... God is looking for a hungry people, a thirsty land... many people fall short of coming into line with this divine blessing because of unbelief... but when the Holy Ghost comes then unbelief is moved away, and they are humble, brokenhearted, thirsty, and they want God. May God keep us humble and hungry for the Living Bread." - Smith Wigglesworth

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. 24 And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

2 Peter 1:
5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.

10 Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble; 11 for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0