How do you know if you have commited the unpardonable sin.

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I do not have any sorrow or guilt for my sin of rejecting God. My mind says it isn't a big deal, but i know something's wrong.

I don't have sin conviction like i used to have when i first gave my life to christ.

I have no fear of hell neither am i worried about offending God. I believe there's a lot going on in the spirit realm that i don't understand.
If you do not care about any of these things, then may I ask what your motivation is for returning to the Lord?

Upvote 0

Jameszo

Dec 20, 2022
Akwa Ibom
✟23,963.00
Country
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you do not care about any of these things, then may I ask what your motivation is for returning to the Lord?
If you had something precious before and you threw it away out of foolishness and pride, wouldn't you regret and want back?

I know that Jesus is true. I have been close to HIM in the past before turning away.

I only feel regret for turning away and rejecting him, but no remorse or guilt for my sin of rejecting him. Regret is worldly sorrow.

I honestly can't pin point my motivation for seeking Him, but i know that something is wrong living a life without Him. It might be too late anyway.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you had something precious before and you threw it away out of foolishness and pride, wouldn't you regret and want back?

I know that Jesus is true. I have been close to HIM in the past before turning away.

I only feel regret for turning away and rejecting him, but no remorse or guilt for my sin of rejecting him. Regret is worldly sorrow.

I honestly can't pin point my motivation for seeking Him, but i know that something is wrong living a life without Him. It might be too late anyway.
Then it sounds to me like you are on the right track. You have a desire, even if it is an imperfect desire, to move toward Him. My advice is to give Him what you have. Come to Him as you are, and ask Him to give you what you don't yet have. Ask Him to purify your heart and give you the desires that He wants you to have. He is able to do that.

What are some practical steps that you could take to turn your life toward Him again?

Upvote 0

Jameszo

Dec 20, 2022
Akwa Ibom
✟23,963.00
Country
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Then it sounds to me like you are on the right track. You have a desire, even if it is an imperfect desire, to move toward Him. My advice is to give Him what you have. Come to Him as you are, and ask Him to give you what you don't yet have. Ask Him to purify your heart and give you the desires that He wants you to have. He is able to do that.

What are some practical steps that you could take to turn your life toward Him again?
I have asked for councel and prayers. If GOD wouldn't hear me, perhaps he may listen to others on my behalf.

After learning the meaning of the unpardonable sin, i feel hopeless at times. But i would continue to seek him, not giving up.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have asked for councel and prayers. If GOD wouldn't hear me, perhaps he may listen to others on my behalf.

After learning the meaning of the unpardonable sin, i feel hopeless at times. But i would continue to seek him, not giving up.
I think it is wise to keep seeking Him, and to put your hope in His grace. We know that He is merciful. (One Bible story I am reminded of is of Ahab and God's grace to him in 1 Kings 21:25-29.) You can still choose to follow Him, no matter what. Nothing can take away your choice to love and serve Him with your actions, whether or not you think you have the right feelings.

If you are looking for a support group, I have found some help and encouragement from this Facebook group: Christianity and Anxiety Disorders

Upvote 0

Bones49

Jan 18, 2024
Seoul
✟3,456.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do not have any sorrow or guilt for my sin of rejecting God. My mind says it isn't a big deal, but i know something's wrong.

I don't have sin conviction like i used to have when i first gave my life to christ.

I have no fear of hell neither am i worried about offending God. I believe there's a lot going on in the spirit realm that i don't understand.
The unpardonable sin:

Matt 12:31 - Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit shall not be forgiven.

It goes on to say, whoever speaks against the son of man shall be forgiven. So I would consider that walking away from faith in Christ - speaking against Christ, is in this latter category, and can be forgiven.

Blasphemy is commonly considered to mean 'using the Lord's name in vain.' i.e. using it as a swear word. If you understand the term a little deeper, to blaspheme something is to misrepresent it. So the Pharisees considered Jesus was blaspheming when he called God his father, because that would make him God - but (from their perspective) he was just a man, so he was misrepresenting himself (or perhaps God), which is blasphemy. A Christian living in obvious sin, but then just as obviously declaring Christ is blaspheming Jesus because the misrepresent him as accepting sinfulness.

So to blaspheme the Holy Spirit, is to misrepresent him. But we only know the Holy Spirit by his works, so it would seem that this sin relates to seeing the works of God - the works of the Holy Spirit - maybe a healing, or deliverance or something similar, and saying that it is actually of the devil.

The context of Matt 12:31, is that Jesus delivered someone from a demon, and the Pharisees said that it was by the power Beelzebub (Satan) that he did this work. You can read the ensuing conversation for yourself. The issue, as far as I see it, was that Jesus was clearly and obviously doing the works of God, yet the Pharisees continuously refused to believe, instead considering that he was actually using the power of the enemy. I would argue that this sin is unpardonable, not because God doesn't have the ability to pardon it, but because if someone becomes so hardened against the works of God, that they refuse to see that he is working, even when it is obvious, then the issue is that they will never repent. They will never ask for forgiveness, so they will never be pardoned.

As to your situation. Perhaps if you consider Hebrews 6:4 and 2 Peter 2. Think about them and pray about them. It seems to me that they express that those who walk away from the faith, will find it much harder to return. Because you rejected Jesus, your heart has become hardened to him an the the work of the Holy Spirit in you. Perhaps this is where you need to start. Perhaps you need to start by repenting of walking away - and perhaps it doesn't matter if there is no emotion. Perhaps it is simply a matter of humility. You need to humble yourself before God, and say sorry (repent) for walking away from him. Just thinking about the conversion experience of Charles Finney, not really sure way, maybe you should look it up and read it, maybe it will help. His issue was pride, but he didn't understand that beforehand. He had determined to get right with God, but when he went to, he found he couldn't pray - and eventually God led him to see his problem was pride.

Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I want to be straight with you. No games.

It has been explained to you that the unpardonable sin was for the Israelites - those under the law of Moses. After Jesus death bringing in the New Testament, we have an advocate Jesus Christ.

In Christ, we are forgiving for our sins - we cannot commit the unpardonable sin.

So why are you still wallowing in falsehood fearing you have committed the unpardonable sin?

You must settle down and understand scripture, especially the difference between the Old Testament and New Testament.

We are told we wrestle not with flush and blood. Who do you think we wrestle with if it’s not flesh and blood? Satan!

We are told in the gospel that God has not given us the spirit of fear, but God has given us Power…! So who has given us the spirit of fear! Satan!

We are told in the gospel that the servants of Christ suffer for Christ. This happened many ways. Your seemingly Inability to commit to Jesus is not you - it’s an attack on you from the evil one.

If we don’t pray to understand God’s word, we will continue to be in a position of misunderstanding the word.

We are under grace, brought in when Jesus died on the cross - we are now under the new covenant- New Testament. Our Father sits on the throne of Grace.

Your constant looking at the unpardonable sin is your misunderstanding the Bible, the gospel, and shows you are operating from the carnal mind/nature. The Bible tells us the carnal mind is enmity against God, and wrestle against the Spirit. All Christian’s go through this before they are filled with the Spirit - Read Romans 7.

When we are in the Spirit, we are given clear understanding, we have power to resist evil, we desire God, we walk in love, etc.

If you at one point has experience the beautiful Spirit of Christ, and feel you have lost it, then you are just not understanding salvation. Because, there is a sanctification process to where our old man, that is self man (carnal nature) must be put off. God through Jesus blesses us at certain times with His Spirit, but because we might be still babes, we can grieve the Spirit. But it’s a process we all go through. The sanctification process involves walking in darkness for a while, which involves persecution, confusion, turning away, etc, until God leads us down the right path. It is for the purpose of breaking the outer man, so that we can walk in the new man. We come to Christ as sinners, so through the power of God’s Spirit, work is done on us to conform us to God’s Son. And it can be painful, and confusing.

But, the work done on us is done by the Husbandman - God Himself. And He knows what He is doing.

So try and understand the path of every Christian, and understand you cannot loose your salvation.

If you continue to fret over the unpardonable sin and choose not to study scripture for understanding, then there is something else going on with you.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟482,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I left the lord years ago and became an atheist, even blasphemed.

I'm trying to get back with the lord but can't repent from the heart anymore. My faith is no more, the bible and sermon no longer makes sense.

Have i commited the unpardonable sin? How do i know?
The unpardonable sin is no longer listening to the Holy Spirit. The fact you are bothered means the Holy Spirit is convicting you calling you out of rebellion.

Heb 3:7 Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says:
“Today, if you will hear His voice,
8 Do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion,
In the day of trial in the wilderness,

The unforgivable sin is no longer hearing the Holy Spirit and living in sin and being comfortable in it Heb 10:26-30 without trying to overcome through Christ. John 14:15-18 Sin is the transgression of God’s law. Rom 7:7 1 John 3:4 and the purpose is so we can see our condition and depend on His righteous standard of living Psa 119:172 and not our own. The Spirit convicts when we break His law John 16:8 and reveals our condition Romans 3:20 which we need God to lead us in repentance Romans 2:4 and when you feel that conviction get on your knees immediately. Pray for forgiveness and sanctification (a change in direction) I always asks for more faith, more love to Him and for Him to reveal any secret sin I might not be aware and ask for His help to overcome. Once you ask for forgiveness believe in His promise that He will cleanse us of all sin and unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9

Our salvation is from sin, we are not saved in sins. Mat 1:21

We are only sanctified by God Eze 20:12 by the Truth of His Word. John 17:17. The devil just hide out in bars, but in churches and sadly many churches teach we can disobey God by breaking His law and live and this is the first lie that deceived Eve in the Garden and still working on the majority of people. Sin separated us from God Ia 59:2 we are reconciled by our faith and living by every Word- Jesus said if you love Me keep My commandments John 14:15 and through love and faith Exo 20:6 John 14:15 1 John 5:3 Rom 3:31 reconciles us back Rev 22:14 and gives us peace Isa 48:18

Read the Bible and ask the Spirit to guide you in all Truth, than find a church that matches God’s Word.

Jer 29:13 And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.

God bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

65James

Feb 18, 2024
Minnesota
✟7,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Luke’s account of the unpardonable sin is found in Luke 11:14-27. I often find on issues of the Gospel, Luke helps gives me get a clearer understanding. Verse 20 Jesus said if by God’s Finger I cast out devils no doubt the Kingdom of God is come. Many Jewish people after all thee signs and others refuse to believe.
But what Jesus says later proves beyond a shadow of doubt you have not committed this sin. In verses 24-26 Jesus states when an unclean spirit leave a man it wonders then decides to return with 7 others more wicked; or in other words once this sin is committed these 8 wick spirits will take all these people willpower heart and mind away from them.

Just by acknowledging your heart is harden it shows the devil is battling your mind, II Corinthians 10:3-5. Our mind not heart is were the battle is fought. This is why even after being given the Holy Ghost who gives us God’s love in our heart, Romans 5:5; I Peter 1:22, Paul states we need to continue to renew our minds, Romans 12:1-2; Ephesians 4:22-24.

You are on right track just ask the Father forgiveness thru Jesus Blood and the Father will forgive and definitively greet you as He rejoice greatly over you.

Upvote 0

keepitsimple144

Feb 17, 2024
midwest
✟8,525.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes but define knowing the Lord it's not just a matter of believing as Christ said even the demons believe and tremble...
Demons did in fact recognize that Christ was the Holy One of God, but they were void of the Spirit of Christ. Rom 8:9

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rodm1974

May 28, 2014
✟17,698.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I left the lord years ago and became an atheist, even blasphemed.

I'm trying to get back with the lord but can't repent from the heart anymore. My faith is no more, the bible and sermon no longer makes sense.

Have i commited the unpardonable sin? How do i know?
NOPE, you have not.... OR you would not be writing this post. Please read my recent post from today. Blessings to you, you are fine, don't worry

Upvote 0

keepitsimple144

Feb 17, 2024
midwest
✟8,525.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes but define knowing the Lord it's not just a matter of believing as Christ said even the demons believe and tremble...
Demons did in fact recognize that Christ was the Holy One of God, but they were void of the Spirit of Christ. Rom 8:9

Or what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. 2 Cor 6:15-16

Upvote 0