How do you explain the following reading of Luke?

7angel

Sep 5, 2006
✟9,003.00
Faith
Christian
Luke 17

2 "Who among you would say to your servant who has just come in from plowing or tending sheep in the field, 'Come here immediately and take your place at table'?
Would he not rather say to him, 'Prepare something for me to eat. Put on your apron and wait on me while I eat and drink. You may eat and drink when I am finished'?
Is he grateful to that servant because he did what was commanded?
So should it be with you. When you have done all you have been commanded, say, 'We are unprofitable servants; we have done what we were obliged to do.'"

revrobor

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Checotah, OK
Visit site
✟21,005.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Don't expect to be honored for doing what you have been commanded to do. Verses 9 & 10 CEV (Contemporary English Version): Servants don't deserve special thanks for doing what they are supposed to do. And that's how it should be with you. When you've done all you should, then say, "We are merely servants, and we have simply done our duty."

Upvote 0

fearingdeath

Oct 7, 2012
✟15,209.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Don't expect to be honored for doing what you have been commanded to do. Verses 9 & 10 CEV (Contemporary English Version): Servants don't deserve special thanks for doing what they are supposed to do. And that's how it should be with you. When you've done all you should, then say, "We are merely servants, and we have simply done our duty."

:amen:

Upvote 0

ebedmelech

My dog Micah in the pic
Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2012
✟187,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Word!!! Well said brother!!!

Our salvation comes at a price of only our Lord could pay! :amen: :clap:

NOBODY ELSE FIT THE BILL!!! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

friendlyjames

Oct 13, 2012
✟15,144.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I like the verse because it teaches us how to be a servant. The verse seems simple on hearing, but when it comes to practicing, it becomes difficult. In a real sense, I find it difficult to serve a servant because I am the one who pays him. I can't follow my own feelings, but only what I have been taught. Jesus showed a good example by washing the feet of His disciples, this showed truth in what he taught. If we don't serve one another, then we won't be able to see the invisible Kingdom, because the one who taught us is the final judge and He explains further that His teachings will judge us. (John 12).

Upvote 0

mjere

Sep 20, 2012
New York, New York
✟7,848.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I definitely see the application of what others have mentioned, but this verse should be taken in unison with what was taking place prior.

Jesus is talking to his disciples about how to deal with people, and more specifically offenses. He tells them how important it is to forgive if asked for forgiveness. (He later makes statements about forgiveness that go beyond someone asking for forgiveness in Matthew 18:21.) But the disciples asked the Lord to increase their faith. and he replies with:

5 The apostles said to the Lord, “Increase our faith!” 6 He replied, “If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, ‘Be uprooted and planted in the sea,’ and it will obey you. 7 “Suppose one of you has a servant plowing or looking after the sheep. Will he say to the servant when he comes in from the field, ‘Come along now and sit down to eat’?

He goes on to the parable about the servant making a comparison to our faith. This verse is specifically talking about how to use your faith. Use your faith whenever you can, and as much as you can find use for it. The role of faith is to serve you! Not the other way around!

I see that people have taken this verse to mean they are supposed to be out serving other people, and I agree that this is something God wants all His children to experience. It keeps Satan off your back, and it releases you from self centered-ness. But I disagree that there isn't a reward for those who serve others, or that that reward is only in Heaven. Why wouldn't you look forward to something God promises. Jesus said prior in Luke 6:

32 “If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. 33 And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that. 34 And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, expecting to be repaid in full. 35 But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. 36 Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. 37 “Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. 38 Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.”

I would follow up with Galatians 4:

4 Now I say that the heir, as long as he is a child, does not differ at all from a slave, though he is master of all, 2 but is under guardians and stewards until the time appointed by the father. 3 Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements of the world. 4 But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born[a] of a woman, born under the law, 5 to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons.

Forgiveness and service can freely flow as we begin to understand the forgiveness and service God has issued towards us as a free gift. There is a reward in serving others, but without faith it's impossible to please God.

Upvote 0

weariedsoul

Oct 11, 2012
✟2,395.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

True rev but it makes one feel good to obey the Lord. Nothing wrong with that.

Upvote 0