How Do You All Study The Bible?

ahanson29

May 4, 2011
✟7,636.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, when reading the bible, read it for yourself. It's amazing how much wisdom you gain reading the bible.

What I like to do is when I read the bible and come across a verse I like, I write it down. The only boring part of the bible I think is in Exodus when God is giving instructions for the tabernacle, and Numbers, or those long lists of genealogies and counting people.

Read it for inspiration. Read it for wisdom.

Upvote 0

singpeace

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2009
U.S.
✟40,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Dear Cassie,

Most all new Christians find it difficult to read the Bible at first. Which translation of the Bible are you reading? The most difficult are the KJV, the Amplified, and the New KJV. The easier ones to grasp are the New Living Translation (NLT) and the English Standard Version (ESV).

Also, do you remember any particular Scriptures that were confusing? There are several ministers and teachers here in the CF who would be glad to answer your questions, including me. Also, there is "Ask the Chaplain" forum.

biblegateway.com is a great place to read the Bible online in any translation you want. The site is easy to navigate, and you can do a 'keyword search' or a 'topic search'.

Upvote 0

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Cassielaven

Apr 29, 2011
✟15,180.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for the replies everyone. I read the English Standard Version on my "Now Bible" electronic bible (really it reads to me) and the King James Version. I sometimes read "My Daily Bread" I think that's devotionals. I really want to do a more deeper study of the bible, something like what Ahanson29 is suggestion. More like a school type of study. When I read the bible I want to be able to take notes. I just don't know where or how to start.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I read through the Bible chronologically, Genesis to Revelation. I find this a really helpful and thorough way to read through the narrative on the Bible, note connections between the OT and NT, and get a deeper sense of the history of the Bible.

I try to read 2-4 chapters of a book of the Bible per day. A study Bible may also be a big help, as you can look down and see notes on cultural and historic issues, and better understand why a person did a certain thing.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for the replies everyone. I read the English Standard Version on my "Now Bible" electronic bible (really it reads to me) and the King James Version. I sometimes read "My Daily Bread" I think that's devotionals. I really want to do a more deeper study of the bible, something like what Ahanson29 is suggestion. More like a school type of study. When I read the bible I want to be able to take notes. I just don't know where or how to start.

I'd recommend a study bible myself. I can't learn as well reading things electronically and online or hearing them so I prefer a printed book but this is up to you and may not work as well for you. Study bibles can really break it down and put out things you may have missed or want to consider and look further into later. The visuals and charts some have help immensely at times also. I use the ESV study bible and love it, but there's a lot of them out there. For problems remembering and focusing it may help for you to choose themes to study at a time and align the chapters from there - there's plenty of places online that have theme lists too - like redemption, prayer, etc.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,373.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm not good at reading book by book yet always reading. Here's some ideas -
1) do topic studies such as BibleGateway.com - Bible words from Nave's Topical Bible and Torrey's New Topical Textbook.
2) watch "One Night with the King" and compare it to the book of Esther or watch "The Passion of Christ" and compare it to the gospels - realizing that theatrical liberalities were taken but you would know which parts were scriptural,
3) study the tabernacles and temples - looking at similarities and differences http://www.biblegateway.com/topical/...set=0&limit=25 or this site shows pictures of the furnishings Images of the Tabernacle of Moses: God's Prophetic Pattern | Study material, pictures, drawings, and posters
or study the feasts of the Lord - such as Biblical Holidays
4) compare the accounts of the gospels – http://www.redmondfamily.com/Cancy%2...s%20Comparison
5) read Paul’s writings such as Romans, I & II Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, I & II Thessalonians, I & II Timothy, Titus, Philemon and Hebrews.
6) look at a list of Biblical characters and see what the scriptures have to say about that person. Here’s one site that has some listed - Biblical people
7) Some say 2/3's of what's in the NT is from the OT and study those.
ETC.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cassielaven

Apr 29, 2011
✟15,180.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Those tips helped a lot. It is the direction that I was trying to go. I have a binder with paper, dividers w/tabs and didn't know how or where to start. I will have to definitely get a study bible and check bible gateway. Do you all have any recommendations of which study bible to get? Thanks again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I use to ESV study so recommend that one and you say you currently use the ESV version of the bible so seems like a good idea. THere are other good ones out there too though so there's a variety of choices for you. I know ESV has their study bible online if you purchase their book in print, or else you can just buy it online if that is the way you are wanting to go.

Upvote 0

HisHomeMaker

Reading the Bible in 2011. Join me!
Nov 1, 2010
http://www.christianforums.com/f235/
✟8,461.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Bible Gateway has study plans, there is one that has an OT and NT reading daily and I linked discussion threads to my "location"above. Sharing the readings with others helps me, as do the commentaries on BG or that I can find on other sites. My church has a midweek study group. We discuss the sermon and the selected readings. I take notes at church.

Upvote 0

True2Terri

Apr 6, 2011
✟7,648.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
My suggestion would be to find a daily devotional or two. They'll give you a few passages to read, then provide some insight, context, or thoughts as to how it is relevant today.

This is the same approach I have been taking and I have liked it. I was warned by a friend of mine, (who has been a devoted Christian all of her life), that the Bible can be overwhelming at first, and to try and get it in "small doses." So a lot of my Bible reading comes from devotionals and Bible study classes.

In order to get a good overview, I also went through "The Action Bible." It tells the stories of the Bible in comic form and very visually. Is it fully accurate? No, but will give you a good start and it is enjoyable!

Upvote 0

Jennifer1

Nov 21, 2010
✟7,629.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Lot of good answers here. I personally stay in the Gospels with some forays in to Paul's writing. In particular I like the verses where I feel nothing is between me and Christ such as John 14, 14, 16...Here he is a saying if YOU love me, if YOU keep my commandments and so forth as opposed to reading dialogue of the disciples or the Sadducee's or others.
I just read though Matthew and was astounded again at how many times He said things like "knowing their thoughts" That really jumped out...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pilgrimgal

Jeremiah 29:11 It's good!
Apr 9, 2006
USA
✟25,368.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It helps me to do a bible study either with a group or on my own. I particularly like anything well known bible teacher, Beth Moore, does because I like her way of teaching and the work and guidelines she gives. Her books, videos, etc. can be found on www.amazon.com or www.lifeway.com

Upvote 0

Cassielaven

Apr 29, 2011
✟15,180.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thanks Pilgrimgal and Tturt. I usually go to a bible study that my friend's mom teaches on a Saturday, but since I work every other weekend I miss most of the studies. I was thinking about going to a bible study a church I was thinking about visiting. Due to my work schedule most of the time I can't make the bible studies. I do agree that bible studies is a great way to study the bible. Especially with different ideas from people. I personally love going to bible studied than going to church sermons. I just learn more from bible studies. Tturt what are Jewish customs and how did it help you understand the bible more?

Upvote 0