How do u know if ur called to fulltime ministery?

• Thread starter Servant_Of_The_Lord_Jesus
  • Start date

Joe Luna

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
✟15,133.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a good question,

God always leads you. My perspective is that there is a balance between our freedom and God's will in our calling.

It may be better if you weren't to read this if you are feeling the call of God yourself. It will strengthen your conviction when you put the pieces together after you "step out". It brings more glory to Him:

OK, here's some stuff to look for if you'd like to proceed:

1. Your calling will line up with scripture (as in Biblical situation examples and reinforcement)
  2. It will require faith
  3. It will require courage
  4. It may just go against rationalization (intellect)
  5. You will have confirmation of the elders in your church family
  6. You will have confirmation outside of your church family
  7. Once you step out in your calling, you will experience the peace of God
God Bless

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do not think it is helpful to think in terms of a 'call to full-time ministry.'

Was Paul a full-time minister? What does 'full-time minister' mean? At least for much of his time as an apostle, Paul supported himself. He would make tents, working to support himself and others. At least he supported himself in Corinth and Ephesus from what he said in his letters. He was not opposed to receiving support. The Macedonians sent him gifts.

When Paul earned a living by making tents, was he a 'full-time minister.' He wasn't earning his living from his ministry. Did the source of his income make his apostolic ministry any less valuable? No.

Paul and his coworkers appointed elders in Ephesus. But in Acts 20, we see that Paul left them an example of hard work and self-support, even though the passage says that the Holy Spirit made them bishops, and the passage says they are to pastor the church of God. So they may not have been 'full-time' in the sense of earning their living from the ministry.

My advice would be to seek the Lord regarding what specific ministry you are called to do, rather than trying to figure out if you are 'full-time.'

And not only that, but use whatever gifts you have been given. I Peter 4 COMMANDS believers to use their gifts to minister to one another. In a first century setting, this would have been done right in the church meeting, where everyone could share a teaching, psalm, revelation, tongue, or interpretation. Some churches nowadays are set up so you have to find some sort of venue to use certain of these gifts.

If you are considering 'full-time' ministry, two of the possibilities are teaching or evangelism. If you are gifted to teach, you may be able to find some sort of opportunity to teach in a Bible study. If you are gifted at evangelism, find some unbelievers to talk to and tell them about Jesus. You could pass out tracks, start a religious discussion on a college campus, preach on a street corner, or whatever. If you are gifted prophetically, find a meeting where you can pray with people one on one or share whatever the Lord gifts you with the group.

Seek opportunities to use your gifts. It makes a lot more sense for you to be faithful with these gifts and gradually mature into whatever larger ministry the Lord has for you, than to expect to be ordained into a ministry all of a sudden, or to be educated into ministry at a special school.

As far as whether one hears God or chooses a vocation, I think that depends on the ministry. In the Bible, the apostles seemed to really know they were called. Paul emphasized this. Jesus personally chose the 12 before the ascension. When it comes to bishops, Paul wrote of a man desiring to be a bishop. I think the Lord works on people's hearts, and they either gradually see that they are suitable for such a role, or the Lord speaks it to them.

I have a gift of teaching. For me, I've seen this gradually over the years, and the Lord has also given me direction along the way, I believe, to encourage me in this. With the time constraints of graduate school, I try to use my gifts making YouTube videos, in one-on-one situations, or other venues.

Upvote 0
Jul 8, 2010
Alabama, USA
✟7,616.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I have a similar issue at hand. I like Linkh's view that ministry isn't limited to 'full-time'. The majority of pastors I know are bi-vocational. I've heard a lot of them talk about how it keeps them exposed to the world and grounded in the evangelistic aspects of their calling. But, seeing as I also am currently struggling with this same issue, I would also like to hear from some more people about what they think being 'called' to the ministry looks like. Would anyone be willing to share accounts of their calling? Or, someone who give a testimony of what it looks like to desire a position of bishop and how that plays out?

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

Wolvrin704

Doing better than I deserve!
Aug 10, 2010
Cincinnati
✟7,750.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I too feel called into "full-time ministry". But that does not necessarily mean that it will be my sole wage earning position, dependent upon any positions that God leads me into.

As to how I came about that calling.....its a long story.

1. I felt called to ministry as a child, but as I grew into adulthood turned my back on it and was tempted by the world and all its allures.
2. God called to me again while I was in college, but I inored Him and for 20 years went my own way, to a degree. I never quit going to church but was definetly one of those "Sunday morning-back pew" Christians.
3. God began drawing me back over a period of 4 years. I again felt the pull to serve Him in ministry and resisted, so He broke me as only He can over the next 2 years of that period of my life.
4. I came back to Him, but again was still not quite fully committed until we had a revival at our church. I always knew a revival would be what was my turning point and it was so. I gave myself completely to Him and have chased after Him ever since (2 years ago).
5. In one service during that revival, a very dear friend of mine spoke a word from God to me that He was calling me into children's ministry. I've had that confirmed since then as well.
6. Everything about my calling lines up with what I feel, what I have love (children) and my wife's own education (a teacher).
7. The last confirmation is that God is continuously blessing us in this. I never could have seen myself doing this or anything like it. I am an introvert by nature and hate to talk, yet now I get up in front of crowds and speak, not just games and fun time but actually bring the word to them. It is all to His glory as I could never do this in and of myself.

That's just my personal call into ministry. God laid it on my heart and used others to confirm it. Now He is blessing it and I will follow Him wherever it leads. Praise the Lord!

Upvote 0

Threadkiller

Aug 21, 2010
Midwest
✟923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I received my call about 16 years ago. I didn't do anything with it at the time except look into the future and read and study. Finally, about a year or so ago everything came together and I was able to go to seminary. This was confirmed by friends and family as something they said they had known all along. It was discerned by my Bishop.

I have been under almost non-stop attack by the enemy since then. However, with each milestone I pass, it becomes easier, and there are times when serving that you know you could never do anything else.

I work for a living and will always work for a living. If you are going into the ministry for the money, you have the wrong idea. Ministry doesn't pay you, you pay into it. I was talking to a friend of mine one day and rhetorically asked "What is this going to cost me?", thinking about seminary. He replied "It's going to cost you everything."

I buy all my own vestments, church supplies, and I build the furniture for the church. I serve the body of Christ at my expense, and one of the things you have to understand is that there may be no paycheck, no retirement plan, and no day off. There may be thank yous and there may not, but it's best not to expect any thanks because they may not be forthcoming. It's tiring, taxing, and the hardest thing I have ever done. Often it demands more than I have.

But it's not my strength that I rely on and somehow it gets done. I served at a baptism last week and it is at times like that when you realize that with all the preparation, all the expense, and all the aggravation, if you only see one baptism it is worth it.

Upvote 0

childofGod1

Aug 21, 2010
✟18,710.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Threadkiller, you've touched on something very important here. It's one thing to "be called", it's another entirely to do the hard work it takes to be properly prepared for a position of authority, to be responsible for teaching others the things that will mean the difference between eternal life and death. What a huge responsibility, and I see so many take it so lightly.

Upvote 0

Wolvrin704

Doing better than I deserve!
Aug 10, 2010
Cincinnati
✟7,750.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Just like anything else..... if you are willing to do it all the time until your fingers bleed and you have no voice, whatever happens, then it's your calling.

I totally agree with what you say and the last couple of posters. Its not just feeling led into something as a vocation but having the feeling that there is nothing else you want to do or CAN do but to minister. To me I feel as if I don't go into I will burst. My heart aches to go into ministry, to serve Him, to serve others and to teach children.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I totally agree with what you say and the last couple of posters. Its not just feeling led into something as a vocation but having the feeling that there is nothing else you want to do or CAN do but to minister. To me I feel as if I don't go into I will burst. My heart aches to go into ministry, to serve Him, to serve others and to teach children.
Wanna come to Honduras?

Upvote 0

RipleyCountyChristian

The guy Chuck Norris tries to live up to :)
Nov 25, 2007
Oklahoma City, USA
Visit site
✟20,237.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I received my calling into ministry a couple years ago at church camp. I have always felt that God had big plans for me, that he was going to use me for something. But I had my own plans for my life, but during the course of that week, I realized I had to let ti all go to God, let him direct my steps. I had to step out of my comfort zone, go into an entire new direction...follow the path God is leading me down.

To go into ministry and accept that calling is to realize that that is what you are here for...that is what you are meant to do. That is what my heart yearns to do. I am meant to serve Him...this is my life

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bro_Sam

Feb 27, 2006
✟8,312.00
Faith
Calvinist
Just curious How you hear God, and How he either told you or lead you to were you are or did u just chose to

Depends on what you mean by "calling". The Bible talks about a general calling, in which sinners are called to repent, and an effectual call, which is the work of God's Spirit whereby convincing us of our sin and misery, enlightening our minds in the knowledge of Christ and renewing our wills, He persuades and enables us to embrace Jesus Christ freely offered to us in the gospel. But if you're talking about some subjective and esoteric experience where God points His finger and says "I want you to be a pastor", that's not found anywhere in scripture.

1. Do you meet the Biblical requirements?
2. Do you have a gift in that area?
3. Do you have a desire in that area?
4. Do you have confirmation from Godly men in your church?
5. Do you have a church and a pastor and elders who are willing to mentor you in that area?

What I would suggest to you is that you go to your pastor and talk to him about it and ask if he would counsel and mentor you and give you some small responsibilities in the ministry of the church. As you do those, if God wants you in ministry, He'll continue to lead you in that direction.

In my own case, I never started out to be a pastor. I was asked to teach Sunday School. Then, I was asked to be a teacher. Then an elder. By being an elder, I found that I had a gift in that area and a growing desire in that area. I found myself being mentored by some wonderfully Godly men. One day, the need for a pastor came up and I was asked to do it. I prayed about it and searched the scriptures about it and I found that all the signs I was exhibiting and all of the circumstances I found myself in were consistent with a Biblical "calling".

And do here I am. In our church, we're currently mentoring three young men for ministry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

childofGod1

Aug 21, 2010
✟18,710.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Depends on what you mean by "calling". The Bible talks about a general calling, in which sinners are called to repent, and an effectual call, which is the work of God's Spirit whereby convincing us of our sin and misery, enlightening our minds in the knowledge of Christ and renewing our wills, He persuades and enables us to embrace Jesus Christ freely offered to us in the gospel. But if you're talking about some subjective and esoteric experience where God points His finger and says "I want you to be a pastor", that's not found anywhere in scripture.

I have to correct your statement that there is no example of someone being specifically called into ministry by God in scripture. Not everyone will be struck blind, but I think God will let you know.

Acts 22

6 “About noon as I came near Damascus, suddenly a bright light from heaven flashed around me. 7 I fell to the ground and heard a voice say to me, ‘Saul! Saul! Why do you persecute me?’
8 “‘Who are you, Lord?’ I asked.
“ ‘I am Jesus of Nazareth, whom you are persecuting,’ he replied. 9 My companions saw the light, but they did not understand the voice of him who was speaking to me.
10 “‘What shall I do, Lord?’ I asked. “ ‘Get up,’ the Lord said, ‘and go into Damascus. There you will be told all that you have been assigned to do.’ 11 My companions led me by the hand into Damascus, because the brilliance of the light had blinded me.

Upvote 0

Bro_Sam

Feb 27, 2006
✟8,312.00
Faith
Calvinist
I have to correct your statement that there is no example of someone being specifically called into ministry by God in scripture. Not everyone will be struck blind, but I think God will let you know.

Acts 22

6 “About noon as I came near Damascus, suddenly a bright light from heaven flashed around me. 7 I fell to the ground and heard a voice say to me, ‘Saul! Saul! Why do you persecute me?’
8 “‘Who are you, Lord?’ I asked.
“ ‘I am Jesus of Nazareth, whom you are persecuting,’ he replied. 9 My companions saw the light, but they did not understand the voice of him who was speaking to me.
10 “‘What shall I do, Lord?’ I asked. “ ‘Get up,’ the Lord said, ‘and go into Damascus. There you will be told all that you have been assigned to do.’ 11 My companions led me by the hand into Damascus, because the brilliance of the light had blinded me.

Why don't you do us a great big favor by showing us where the Bible ever tells us that this is normative. Surely, for all Titus and Timothy tell us about the qualifications for a pastor, being knocked off your horse by God must be in there somewhere.

Or could it possibly be that (a) Paul's heart was so hardened that Jesus chose to use such dramatic events, (b) Jesus was choosing Paul for such a unique position as Apostle to be trained not only by Christ, but by the resurrected Christ, and (c) that the canon was not complete and so Christ moved in a such a dramatic way as to announce and validate His will, as He so often did before the completion of the canon?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

childofGod1

Aug 21, 2010
✟18,710.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why don't you do us a great big favor by showing us where the Bible ever tells us that this is normative. Surely, for all Titus and Timothy tell us about the qualifications for a pastor, being knocked off your horse by God must be in there somewhere.

Or could it possibly be that (a) Paul's heart was so hardened that Jesus chose to use such dramatic events, (b) Jesus was choosing Paul for such a unique position as Apostle to be trained not only by Christ, but by the resurrected Christ, and (c) that the canon was not complete and so Christ moved in a such a dramatic way as to announce and validate His will, as He so often did before the completion of the canon?

Where did I ever say that Paul's calling was normative? I said not everyone would be struck blind, in fact, pointing out that it was a rather unique situation. Some people answer the quiet voice of the Holy Spirit immediately, others need to be hit over the head with a holy 2 x 4. You said there was no example of someone being directly called by God in scripture, and I felt that it was important to point out that there are examples. Not only Paul, but many OT prophets, such as Moses.

Romans 10:15
And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!”

Ephesians 2:10
For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

Philippians 2:13
for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.

James 1:17
Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.

I think these verses will help you to understand my meaning. Everything good comes from God. That means that if God doesn't want you to be a preacher, then your preaching will be a waste. It's God's will, not man's that makes serving Him fruitful. The hard part is discerning His will when you don't get an obvious call to do a particular thing.

Upvote 0

Bro_Sam

Feb 27, 2006
✟8,312.00
Faith
Calvinist
childofGod1 said:
Where did I ever say that Paul's calling was normative?

When I gave the Biblical principles governing how one is "called" and you said, "I want to correct you".

You said there was no example of someone being directly called by God in scripture, and I felt that it was important to point out that there are examples. Not only Paul, but many OT prophets, such as Moses.

And they weren't pastors now, were they?

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Pardon me. This thread from what I can tell is not specifically about pastors, but about being called into fulltime ministry. Not everyone who is called into fulltime ministry is called to be a pastor.

Upvote 0

Bro_Sam

Feb 27, 2006
✟8,312.00
Faith
Calvinist
Pardon me. This thread from what I can tell is not specifically about pastors, but about being called into fulltime ministry. Not everyone who is called into fulltime ministry is called to be a pastor.

Well we know that it can't be about being called to be an apostle or a prophet, as neither of those offices exist any longer, so her point is still moot.

Upvote 0

childofGod1

Aug 21, 2010
✟18,710.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When I gave the Biblical principles governing how one is "called" and you said, "I want to correct you".

I think a review would be in order here.

You said:
But if you're talking about some subjective and esoteric experience where God points His finger and says "I want you to be a pastor", that's not found anywhere in scripture.

I said:

Yes, I would say that both of them were pastors.

Upvote 0