Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This is one question that I would like to ask Christians here. Is there a way to tell if you're saved with absolute certainty, based on any scripture from the bible?

Or, is it more like you can't be absolutely certain if you're saved that God will allow you into heaven? Because, I do think that some people who think that they are saved are not going to heaven, because of what Jesus said in Matthews 7:21-23.

However, do I have to live my life in uncertainty, only to wait until I've left this earth to find out if I'm going to get a pass into heaven or not? Is there a way to be certain about my salvation, and if so, what exactly do I need to do to make certain that I fit the requirements necessary for salvation? And, is the way to be absolutely certain of my salvation something that's humanly possible?

Please give advice and knowledge on this matter.

liars_paradox

Jun 8, 2009
North Carolina
✟9,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Get beyond the ticket to heaven mentality, and you will appreciate your opportunity to know God is available to you right now. This life you currently have IS your ticket to Heaven. God is right here, right now, and if you seek him as Jesus taught, you will find him.

Thanks, but that really doesn't help me. I understand that "ticket mentality" isn't right, but I really do tire of this faith thing right now. What else is there beside what God does for me in this life and in the next? How can I remove my selfish desires from the relationship, because it seems that the whole reason why I'm even trying to get to know Him is because I'm interested in what's in it for me.

If I could turn off this "ticket mentality" like I could a light switch, then I would. But, if at any point in my relationship with God, if I was asked if I would be okay with going to Hell while still being able to maintain my relationship with God, then I would have to say, "no".

Let's be honest here, are you even like that? Can you say that it's only about getting to know God and nothing else?

Upvote 0

liars_paradox

Jun 8, 2009
North Carolina
✟9,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
John 3:16

For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son that whosoever shall believe in Him shall have everlasting life.

Sounds very certain to me.

There are so many evil people who I met in my life who would fit that description. If what you say is true, then God is evil and unjust.

However, I do have scripture to counter this, so I can't actually make that kind of judgement about God. Aside what I provided in my original post, here's another one written by James:

But someone will say "You have faith; I have deeds." Show me your faith and I will show you my faith by what I do. You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that - and shudder.
You foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless? Was not your ancestor Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. And the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness," and he was called God's friend. You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.
James 2:14-24

Upvote 0

LWB

Jan 28, 2011
Brisbane
✟16,026.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks, but that really doesn't help me. I understand that "ticket mentality" isn't right, but I really do tire of this faith thing right now. What else is there beside what God does for me in this life and in the next? How can I remove my selfish desires from the relationship, because it seems that the whole reason why I'm even trying to get to know Him is because I'm interested in what's in it for me.

If I could turn off this "ticket mentality" like I could a light switch, then I would. But, if at any point in my relationship with God, if I was asked if I would be okay with going to Hell while still being able to maintain my relationship with God, then I would have to say, "no".

Let's be honest here, are you even like that? Can you say that it's only about getting to know God and nothing else?

If an actual experience with God in this lifetime doesn't interest you, there is simply no assurance outside faith that you are 'saved', whatever that means.

As for me, my first encounter with God had nothing to do with a fear of mortality, hope for Heaven, nor a fear of Hell. It was a spontaneous experience of awe and fascination, and it is awe and fascination that has motivated my faith ever since.

Upvote 0

mr73140

Beloved
Jul 5, 2011
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟7,848.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Liars Paradox from what I could tell you only expound on part of the scripture; for Matt 7: 21 states, "...but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven". A true Christian is one that doeth the will of the Father...he is continually living in obedience to the will of God as the normal course of life (KJSB). The Lord knows the hearts of men! He knows if a person is genuine or not genuine. You see, there are some people who only DO things so they can get recongnition from people...like for instance, giving to the poor. The Lord knows if they gave it in obedience to His will or if they gave it to be exalted by people. That's why He said, not every one that saith Lord Lord shall enter into the kingdom of heaven. So the questions are...IS YOUR HEART RIGHT? ARE YOU ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE THAT IS A CHRISTAIN ON THE OUTSIDE BUT ROTTEN ON THE INSIDE? DO YOU PROVIDE SERVICE TO OTHERS OUT OF OBDIENCE OR FOR THE WILL OF THE FATHER OR FOR YOUR OWN SELFISH AMBITION?

No one can offer you certainly that you are going to go to heaven. Only YOU can determine if you are REAL OR FAKE.

Upvote 0

mr73140

Beloved
Jul 5, 2011
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟7,848.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There are so many evil people who I met in my life who would fit that description. If what you say is true, then God is evil and unjust.

However, I do have scripture to counter this, so I can't actually make that kind of judgement about God. Aside what I provided in my original post, here's another one written by James:

James 2:14-24
What Abraham did was COUNTED as righteousness; NOT justification. Two different things. Abraham's heart was to do the will of His Father (or what he thought was the Father's will). He was not trying to impress anyone but the Lord; that is what is right; that is what is righteous. He was justified long before he offer Isaac on the altar; he was justified when he left his country and family...by faith...trusting in an unseen God.

Upvote 0

Pal Handy

Irregular Member
Jun 15, 2011
Southeast Michigan
✟20,508.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
John 5:24 (Jesus speaking)
“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes
in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into
judgment, but has passed from death into life.

John 14:6 (Jesus speaking)
Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life.
No one comes to the Father except through Me.

Matthew 10:32 (Jesus speaking)
“Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven.

Romans 10:10
For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and
with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Revelation 3:5 (Jesus speaking)
He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments, and I will not blot
out his name from the Book of Life; but I will confess his name before
My Father and before His angels.

It is so simple a child can understand it...so what is you problem?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

liars_paradox

Jun 8, 2009
North Carolina
✟9,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If an actual experience with God in this lifetime doesn't interest you, there is simply no assurance outside faith that you are 'saved', whatever that means.

As for me, my first encounter with God had nothing to do with a fear of mortality, hope for Heaven, nor a fear of Hell. It was a spontaneous experience of awe and fascination, and it is awe and fascination that has motivated my faith ever since.

To be honest, it was initially something that I just did because I was taken to a church where other kids were accepting Jesus Christ as their savior and I just went with it.

In college, because I was going crazy and had no friends I found myself going back to God because life was getting hard for me. I still cling to this belief, but I sometimes have my doubts.

People much stronger than me, don't believe in God. It's so easy for them to view my faith as being the same as having an imaginary friend. I don't get into arguments with these people, because I see where they're coming from. I admit that my beliefs in God have nothing to do with logic, with critical reasoning. That I build this faith in God on absolutely no physical evidence at all.

And, that's what it is, isn't it? You and I haven't seen Jesus perform these miracles. And, even if we did, would we believe that was the real thing? How many false prophets who rise and fell before and after his time? How many people claimed the same exact that things that he did, but why is it that we believe in him over the others?

Don't you think that it's likely our cultural influences more than anything? And, why do we even want to believe? Maybe the scary stories that they gave you as a kid is what did it? Fear that you'll end up in Hell with all the bad people, burning for all eternity.

You're right, it shouldn't be about avoiding Hell or getting into Heaven that I should do any of this. But, I doubt that most Christians are like this.

Most Christians are conditioned from child-hood into believing with lies about burning in Hell for eternity. The same sort of lies our parents told us to make us behave, such as Black Peter (for Hispanics I guess), trolls, and Santa Claus. Only difference is, the myth about Hell stays with us into adulthood.

But, some of us get fed up with it. Fed up with the fear, the feelings of guilt, of constant failure because of our animal desires, and fed up with the hypocrisy in Christendom. And, why? For what other reason than it might be all true and if I simply stop believing then I'll go to Hell?

Please, tell me how I can remedy this problem. Because, I do tire of the guilt, the hypocrites, and the concept that God gets to damn us because of something that He did and is entirely His fault and His doing. If God does exist and Hell as well, and God is all-knowing perfect, then the only reason that any of us would ever go to Hell is because He chose to make it happen.

In a universe where God knows everything, it only stands to reason that God even chose for me to write this meaningless post thread,just as He chose to make you write yours.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mr73140

Beloved
Jul 5, 2011
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟7,848.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

AMEN TO LWB.

Upvote 0

liars_paradox

Jun 8, 2009
North Carolina
✟9,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Liars Paradox from what I could tell you only expound on part of the scripture; for Matt 7: 21 states, "...but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven". A true Christian is one that doeth the will of the Father...he is continually living in obedience to the will of God as the normal course of life (KJSB). The Lord knows the hearts of men! He knows if a person is genuine or not genuine. You see, there are some people who only DO things so they can get recongnition from people...like for instance, giving to the poor. The Lord knows if they gave it in obedience to His will or if they gave it to be exalted by people. That's why He said, not every one that saith Lord Lord shall enter into the kingdom of heaven. So the questions are...IS YOUR HEART RIGHT? ARE YOU ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE THAT IS A CHRISTAIN ON THE OUTSIDE BUT ROTTEN ON THE INSIDE? DO YOU PROVIDE SERVICE TO OTHERS OUT OF OBDIENCE OR FOR THE WILL OF THE FATHER OR FOR YOUR OWN SELFISH AMBITION?

I think so. Compared to most Christians I know, I'm an extremely moral person. I am not fake like most of them.

But, let me ask you this. Would you still continue to do what you do if you were to find out one day that you weren't going to heaven after all? That God decides to say, "Well I know that you obeyed my will and all, but I'm going to send you to Hell for all eternity to see if you really do love me. This way we can be sure that you really did it for me and not for yourself."

Would you then praise God in His infinite wisdom and glory, or curse the days that you were obedient to Him? You believe that heaven is yours' because of your faith, but what if you didn't have that? Would you still continue to do what you do with no intent of reaping any kind of reward at all?

No one can offer you certainly that you are going to go to heaven. Only YOU can determine if you are REAL OR FAKE.

And, this is just insulting. I don't know if you're not too bright, or what. And, not to be mean, since you might truly mean what you're saying. But, it's insulting to me because it's like you didn't even take the time to consider that I knew where I fell among those two categories.

Additionally, I have to say that you're wrong about whether or not we're "real or fake" being up to us. What about the people in Matthew 7 who plead "Did not prophesy in your name?" Do you think that they saw what was coming to them?

It really does seem like some of those who honestly think that they're saved are not getting into the Kingdom of God. They're probably going to be surprised, and in desperation they're going to try to argue or plead with God, giving their reasons as to why God is wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

liars_paradox

Jun 8, 2009
North Carolina
✟9,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Ok I want to make sure I am on the same page with you here. Your saying that God made man so he made us sinners, so it's his fault we sin? That about right?

It is. Isn't that logical? If anyone of us created something which did something bad, wouldn't we be punished?

On what rational basis does God rise above this same condition that we apply to ourselves?

I'm willing to accept that maybe God doesn't have to follow the same moral system as us, but I do find it hard to believe that it's anyone's fault that we might disobey God. It really does seem logical that God is either incompetent, or that He just simply doesn't follow the same moral system as us and decides who goes to Hell and which of the chosen few get to go to Heaven.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

liars_paradox

Jun 8, 2009
North Carolina
✟9,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What Abraham did was COUNTED as righteousness; NOT justification. Two different things. Abraham's heart was to do the will of His Father (or what he thought was the Father's will). He was not trying to impress anyone but the Lord; that is what is right; that is what is righteous. He was justified long before he offer Isaac on the altar; he was justified when he left his country and family...by faith...trusting in an unseen God.
I'm not interested in impressing anyone else either. No one really knows if I look at inappropriate content, and regardless of whether or not they did it still doesn't make people like me or less. For the most part, what I do isn't for anyone else but for God AND myself.

And, I do wonder who is it more for? Do I do this because I want a relationship with God purely for the sake of the relationship, or is it because of what I think that He can give me?

Upvote 0

liars_paradox

Jun 8, 2009
North Carolina
✟9,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't know bible versus well nor am I going to claim to but I do know the bible says that heaven is the reward for doing Gods will. I don't know exactly what your looking for here. The majority of responses you get are going to be based on peoples faith. You have to find your own faith. You have to decide if God exists for yourself. There hardcore proof that God exists is thin beyond faith. Some say he created the entire universe.....others say the big bang theory. There is physical evidence that Jesus walked this planet. The question as to whether he is the son of God is still debated. My point here is you have to read the bible and deicde for yourself. You can attack people to your hearts content but you are not going to get a for sure answer that you seem to be searching for. We put our faith in numerous thing throughout our life. Faith and belief in God will come from inside you.

You're right. I won't likely get proof that God exists which will quiet any kind of doubt. But, the point of my thread was to figure out if I am saved or not.

I struggle with sin, and the battle is never-ending. Along with doubt, it makes believing so incredibly difficult sometimes.

It would be nice to know that assuming my faith isn't all make-believe that I then could be rewarded in heaven for all my troubles. As far as I know, I could keep this faith thing up until the day I die, only to find that it wasn't good enough and that I'm not getting into heaven.

Upvote 0

LWB

Jan 28, 2011
Brisbane
✟16,026.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To be honest, it was initially something that I just did because I was taken to a church where other kids were accepting Jesus Christ as their savior and I just went with it.

In college, because I was going crazy and had no friends I found myself going back to God because life was getting hard for me. I still cling to this belief, but I sometimes have my doubts.

People much stronger than me, don't believe in God. It's so easy for them to view my faith as being the same as having an imaginary friend. I don't get into arguments with these people, because I see where they're coming from. I admit that my beliefs in God have nothing to do with logic, with critical reasoning. That I build this faith in God on absolutely no physical evidence at all.

And, that's what it is, isn't it? You and I haven't seen Jesus perform these miracles. And, even if we did, would we believe that was the real thing? How many false prophets who rise and fell before and after his time? How many people claimed the same exact that things that he did, but why is it that we believe in him over the others?

Don't you think that it's likely our cultural influences more than anything? And, why do we even want to believe? Maybe the scary stories that they gave you as a kid is what did it? Fear that you'll end up in Hell with all the bad people, burning for all eternity.

You're right, it shouldn't be about avoiding Hell or getting into Heaven that I should do any of this. But, I doubt that most Christians are like this.

Most Christians are conditioned from child-hood into believing with lies about burning in Hell for eternity. The same sort of lies our parents told us to make us behave, such as Black Peter (for Hispanics I guess), trolls, and Santa Claus. Only difference is, the myth about Hell stays with us into adulthood.

But, some of us get fed up with it. Fed up with the fear, the feelings of guilt, of constant failure because of our animal desires, and fed up with the hypocrisy in Christendom. And, why? For what other reason than it might be all true and if I simply stop believing then I'll go to Hell?

Please, tell me how I can remedy this problem. Because, I do tire of the guilt, the hypocrites, and the concept that God gets to damn us because of something that He did and is entirely His fault and His doing. If God does exist and Hell as well, and God is all-knowing perfect, then the only reason that any of us would ever go to Hell is because He chose to make it happen.

In a universe where God knows everything, it only stands to reason that God even chose for me to write this meaningless post thread,just as He chose to make you write yours.

It is true that we are not privy to the miracles of Christ's ministry, but there were some present who did witness and still did not believe.

But there is a miracle right before us at every moment that we so easily overlook and forget, but is waiting patiently for us to notice. When we see it, we can then recognise Christ as being the very source of this miracle; that of our very being.

The best remedy I know is to strip away and purge yourself of your cultural indoctrinations. Like a computer that has become bogged down with malware, viruses, and system errors, that is reformatted with a fresh and sparkly operating system.

It is tired old ideas that are making you sick. Step over them, be unafraid to explore and experiment with new ways of understanding. Overcome them, for they are just like a childish fear of the dark.

The way towards God and eternal life is love, not fear and frustration.

Upvote 0

Jeffz

one man free
Sep 3, 2009
Union Grove, WI, USA
✟8,183.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just an addition to the above scriptures, this is Jesus speaking to those who did not know him, the religious leaders of His day.

John 10:23and Jesus was walking in the temple, in the porch of Solomon, 24the Jews, therefore, came round about him, and said to him, `Till when our soul dost thou hold in suspense? if thou art the Christ, tell us freely.'
25Jesus answered them, `I told you, and ye do not believe; the works that I do in the name of my Father, these testify concerning me;
26but ye do not believe, for ye are not of my sheep,
27according as I said to you: My sheep my voice do hear, and I know them, and they follow me,
28and life age-during I give to them, and they shall not perish -- to the age, and no one shall pluck them out of my hand;
29my Father, who hath given to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to pluck out of the hand of my Father;
30I and the Father are one.'

If we are His sheep then Jesus says we would know his voice and we would follow him.
For myself God has confirmed to me that I am His through the conviction of the Holy Spirit. I believe that we have the ability to know convincingly if we are his or not. The word of God speaks of many different ways of growing in Christ, but if we neglect this gift God gives us then we are without excuse. The Scripture's are able to prove to you if you are 'born anew" or born from above, without human hands.

Upvote 0

Scott1979

Grateful
Jul 12, 2011
USA
✟8,735.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Asking God to come into your heart and life and forgive you of your sins is being saved. Beyond that you have to decide to follow the bible and Gods will. It's not going to be easy either as you know with the struggles you have. Some people think that I am saved and God does the rest. That is not the case. We are all tempted in some way form or fashion. The important thing is to remain strong in the face of temptation. There is always a way out of tempting situations. It may not be the way you like but there is always a way. I'm not talking about a voice either. I read earlier where God said in the bible that he will provide you a way out of temptation. It's up to you to follow it. You talk about knowing whether or not your faith is make believe or not. You never will know. If you really choose that God is real then it won't seem like make believe to you. You have to base your faith by the bible and by God. You can't ever get to the point where your saying "Meh....im doing enough". If you chosse to belive in God then you will need to study the bible and make sure you are doing enough and then some. I know I have mentioned it several times my friend but it still boils down to you having to decide.

Upvote 0