How do I know if it was God speaking to me?

tdgirl

Feb 15, 2012
✟15,123.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My husband and I are in the process of buying a house. I've been praying on/off every day, just little moments, asking God for the house (if it's His will.) One day as I was praying I think he said "I hear your prayers." It was by thought, not an audible voice. I think ALOT, way too much and many thoughts at once going. But I'm usually able to stop thinking a thought, this time my whole mind just stopped and listened. A day or two after that as I was praying for the house the same kind of thought said "Why do you keep asking for something already promised?" The same thing happened, my whole brain just stopped and listened. I decided to tell my mom and husband. My mom thought it might be Satan, for one why would God tell me to stop asking when the Bible says to keep asking? But if it was Satan then why would he tell me a day or two before that he heard my prayers? At the time I had no doubt it was God, none. But now I'm wondering if it was just my own thoughts? God didn't say before he promised me the house, unless he did and I wasn't listening or he was referring to providing for our needs in general as a promise. My husband believed me. Now I just don't know what to believe because I see my moms point. But at the time I was convinced about it being God talking to me. If it wasn't God I'm questioning the other times I thought he spoke to me.

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
2Pe 1:1-4 KJV
(1) Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ:
(2) Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,
(3) According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
(4) Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

his divine power

HATH given

unto us

ALL THINGS

that pertain unto life and godliness

through the KNOWLEDGE OF HIM

if you'll study this out in the NT, you'll find that the only thing we're told to ask for is wisdom; which means God's leading - and since He wants to lead us into 'all things that pertain to life and godliness', following His leading will lead us to intersect with all the things of this world that are good that we might pray for; so the key is to discern what His leading is in a given situation - which is what you're wondering about :)

the best way to tell God's leading is from His revealed written word: 'through the KNOWLEDGE OF HIM'

i think it's safe to say that a house is included in 'all things that pertain to life and godliness', because we're told in the NT to be gracious hosts and throw parties for those who can't repay us; so His will is obviously that you have a house if you want to live in one. but the question is: WHICH house - which is again, what you're wondering about :). but the scripture has an answer for that too:

1Jn 2:20 KJV
(20) But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.

Col 3:14-15 KJV
(14) And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.
(15) And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.

so 1John 2:20 tells us that you know the answer by the 'unction' or 'inner knowing' that is the witness of the Holy Spirit. but that's very difficult to perceive if your flesh is raging 'this house will do, and we can get it now? - yea, let's go for it!'

but again, the Bible has the answer through Elijah's account:

1Ki 19:11-12 KJV
(11) And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the LORD. And, behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the LORD; but the LORD was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the LORD was not in the earthquake:
(12) And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.

the thing about a still, small voice is that you aren't likely to hear it when there's a lot of noise in your mind; especially if you think a lot. so get in a quiet place, still your thoughts about the house by focusing on how good God has been to you so far, and then stop thinking and listen for His voice...this will help you to 'incline your ear' to Him:

http://www.moorelife.org/php/mlmMed...=EN&collectionID=66&collectionName=Spirit Led

http://www.moorelife.org/php/mlmMed...ollectionID=74&collectionName=Spirit Led Life

http://www.moorelife.org/php/mlmMed...lectionID=73&collectionName=Spirit Led Life 2

Upvote 0

Ken Behrens

Sep 5, 2016
Milford, Delaware, USA
Visit site
✟32,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Every case stands on two or three witnesses. Int he case of hearing God, the witnesses are 1. Scripture, 2. The Christians you trust and network with. 3. Experience. Let's apply to your case: 1. The statements are Scriptural. 2. Some people here agree with you that this is how God sounds. I am one of them, and I think the one above me is another, if I read it right. 3. The missing third witness for now will have to wait; you do not yet have the experience itself, as you have not yet been handed the house.

But, you do have a point, to ask what DID He promise you? And that is what you should ask. Maybe this is the experience you will gain, by the time this is all over.

Upvote 0

yuppers

Mar 25, 2014
Alberta
✟41,114.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I can't give much advice on your issue. I just want to say that I'm going through a similar struggle in my life. I thought I felt God telling me something about my life. I'm going through a time where what I thought he told me doesn't match with what's happening in reality though.

I just want to say that you should be prepared for either outcome. Whether you get the house or not don't loose your hope and faith in God. The bible says we are supposed to have confident hope. But, it could be a test to see how much faith you have if it doesn't work out. So like I said, I don't really have advice. I just want you to be prepared for either outcome. And yes, please update us on what happens. I would be very curious in knowing the outcome.

Upvote 0
Jun 14, 2009
✟14,916.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
We can never be absolutely certain, that the voice, thoughts or images in our heart and mind, are from God. That is why the Bible tells us to test prophecies. We get our own thoughts and thoughts from God, in the same mind. Usually, thoughts from God are spontaneous, that is, they come into our mind, without we analysing or thinking them beforehand, but suddenly and unexpected.

If it was possible for us, to know, which thoughts are from God, and which are not, the Bible would not tells us to test prophecies, but would tell us and show us, how to know, and make sure that the thoughts and images in our minds, are from God.

Bellow, are two links to two websites, about guidance and the voice of God. You can check them, to see, if they would be helpful;

http://www.gentle-stress-relief.com/support-files/how-to-listen-to-god.pdf

http://johnhamelministries.org/need_guidance.htm

http://johnhamelministries.org/SBG_02_HS_Inner_Umpire1.htm

http://johnhamelministries.org/SBG_03_HS_Inner_Umpire2.htm

Upvote 0

ravindraneee

Aug 25, 2013
New Jersey, USA
✟15,818.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My husband and I are in the process of buying a house. I've been praying on/off every day, just little moments, asking God for the house (if it's His will.) One day as I was praying I think he said "I hear your prayers." It was by thought, not an audible voice. I think ALOT, way too much and many thoughts at once going. But I'm usually able to stop thinking a thought, this time my whole mind just stopped and listened. A day or two after that as I was praying for the house the same kind of thought said "Why do you keep asking for something already promised?" The same thing happened, my whole brain just stopped and listened. I decided to tell my mom and husband. My mom thought it might be Satan, for one why would God tell me to stop asking when the Bible says to keep asking? But if it was Satan then why would he tell me a day or two before that he heard my prayers? At the time I had no doubt it was God, none. But now I'm wondering if it was just my own thoughts? God didn't say before he promised me the house, unless he did and I wasn't listening or he was referring to providing for our needs in general as a promise. My husband believed me. Now I just don't know what to believe because I see my moms point. But at the time I was convinced about it being God talking to me. If it wasn't God I'm questioning the other times I thought he spoke to me.
Over many years one thing I have learned is that God talks with us precisely. When satan tries to get in our minds with thoughts, it would be very vague. I think it is because, God knows our inner thoughts and satan does not. satan just tries to mess up things by throwing something vague and keep us confused and rob the joy. And hope we make wrong choices. God's thoughts would be precise to guide our steps. I do not know what you were praying about if these thoughts were precise. I have personal experiences of God telling something was about to happen and what I needed to do. But they were so precise in nature. That's the best advice I can give. This is something between you and God!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,952.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It is virtually impossible in most situations to tell the difference between God speaking, and the devil speaking. What you have to ask your self in this situation is it blessing or confusing you. As the bible says Satan is the author of confusion. Do you feel condemned by the voice? If you feel condemned or judged then that feeling is not from God.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,952.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it is because, God knows our inner thoughts and satan does not.

I actually believe that Satan does know our thoughts, I have had situation where I will be thinking some thing, then satan will inject something negative into my mind based upon what I have been thinking. I have had situations where complete mind conversations (of a sort) will go on with satan.

As an example, through God's grace I never touch inappropriate contentography, for the sake of my wife. However satan will come to me and tell me it is ok to use it. I resist this thought, then he will bring counter thoughts feelings and arguments.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I was asking someone on here before how do we view someone who does terrible things and claim they believe God is telling them to do it—that person seemed to imply God doesn't speak to people anymore like he did in the past, at least it sounded like that to me.

So I can't be sure whether it was God speaking to you, but go with your gut feeling and hope things work out for the best.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I realize this thread is resolved and the OP got the house she was stressing over, but I am very...disturbed about some of the advice offered about how to discern God's will. God has given us in His word all the principles, wisdom, and truth we need to make wise decisions. We don't need "liver shivers" and voices in our heads, and coincidences as the basis for how we decide what we will or will not do. Such an approach to discerning God's will is primed for disaster! Inevitably, when I ask people who "go with their gut" and are directed by voices or strong impulses how they know what they are experiencing is really from God, they can't give me a reasonable answer. "I just know" is their final resort. They have no legitimate means of testing the source of the impulse or voice they're listening to, no way to distinguish their own thoughts from one inserted in their mind by God (or the devil). In the end, they simply assume it was God because of the proximity of the strong feeling or thought to their prayer or need for direction. This amounts to superstition. If I trip on the hallway rug going to the bathroom early in the morning and a rooster crows, it must be the rooster's fault I tripped! There is close proximity in time between the two things, so they must be related. This is essentially the kind of "discernment" people are offering in this thread. If you can see the silliness of reasoning in the example I just offered, you can see the foolishness in discerning God's will by coincidence of thought and feeling to your decision.

Instead of the odd feelings or "thoughts/voices in my head" crapshoot, be a careful student of God's word, understand its spiritual principles, wisdom and truth and you will possess all you need to make good, wise, God-honoring choices. What's more, believers are looking for God's leading when they are not following His general commands already given to them in Scripture. They want God, for example, to show them what career they should pursue but they aren't obeying Him in regards to honoring Him with their entire life. They are guilty of moral/spiritual compromise of all sorts, yet they want God to tell them who to marry, or which car to buy. Really? If they are ignoring His commands on the one hand, why should they expect Him to be eager to command them on the other? If they have turned a deaf ear to His general commands to them in the Bible, how will they be able to perceive more specific direction from Him? This gets to the real heart of discerning God's will: surrender and obedience. A person who is living in daily submission and obedience to God will never have to fear mistaking His will. To such people, God's direction is always very clear.

Selah.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
It is virtually impossible in most situations to tell the difference between God speaking, and the devil speaking. What you have to ask your self in this situation is it blessing or confusing you. As the bible says Satan is the author of confusion. Do you feel condemned by the voice? If you feel condemned or judged then that feeling is not from God.

This may be so for some, but not for those of us who've been given discernment and have exercised that gift unto maturity. Not that we're 'above that', but we're 'beyond that'. Which is potentially possible also for all who believe unto asking and receiving from God. I suppose if one were to get all proud about being 'gifted' they would be humbled by a failure to discern of some kind, but that's one of the things we have the gift of discernment to guard ourselves against...so such is neither common nor likely among mature discerners.

As far as, is it right to keep asking for something, or wrong ? Depends on the situation. Sometimes it's right to keep on....sometimes it's right to cease asking. But there's scarcely anything we can't ask for....so if our request doesn't appear to be being heard, or answered; we can ask to understand why ? And if there's anything we can do to facilitate the process. And we can ask for the ability to endure well the time of waiting...etc. etc.

Glad the word appears to have been good, and is bringing forth fruit accordingly.

Heard a voice one day saying -

The only limitations you have, are those you choose to put upon yourself - I am not limited.

Could it be ...?

Judge the content, judge the tenor, judge the fruit.

And if it be true, seek the wisdom and understanding to apply correctly.

And May The Lord Be Pleased to Bless !

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Daryl Gleason

A man of God
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2016
Cali, Colombia
✟28,436.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
In some cases, just "knowing" is indeed sufficient. John 10:27. It does not need to be rationally explicable to others to be true and correct.

When one is not sure, a testing of the spirit behind the thought or voice may be helpful: 1 John 4:1-3.

Ultimately, no one can ever be sure of anything at all in this existence, at least speaking from a human intellectual standpoint. But my heart and spirit are sure that Jesus is Lord, and this surety is beyond logic and reason. I certainly have no rational explanation for why I am certain that it is true.

In my own life, once I learned that God knew my thoughts (Psalm 139:2), I began taking every opportunity I could to consciously share every thought and feeling, good and bad, with him as though he were a constant companion, which he is. As I did this, frequently I would suddenly and unexpectedly have thoughts that were clearly not mine. These thoughts have had consistent characteristics over the years: they are accompanied by a sense of purity, power, and inescapable truth; they are thoughts that are expressed in ways different from how I think; they are brief -- frequently a single word that is very simple but has incredible depths; and they are in harmony with the Bible and the holy spirit within me.

It was through these conversations that I learned to ask for wisdom and then follow it. It was also through these that I learned to see what the Father was/is showing me to do, especially when helping others, though it is not limited to these times.

I consider all of this to be part of the process of the transformation by the renewing of the mind, which is exactly how we may know what the will of God is -- Romans 12:2.

Hope this is helpful!

In Christ,
Daryl

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
If God gives you a vision write it down...make it plain.

Share it with your elders. Ask for discenrment and wait for it to come to pass.
As for Gods audible voice yes that does happen sometimes. Test it with scripture.

Praise the Lord For your house.

Upvote 0