How do I know if I received a message from God?

ihlf

May 15, 2015
✟7,635.00
Faith
Christian
Hello brothers and sisters in Christ!

I have often believe that when God talks to us, it is with "yes", "no" and "no yet".

There is an issue I have been praying about for many years, and it has not been answered. In desperation, I asked one night in tears if God could let me at least know if it would eventually happen or not.

I got silence for several days. I figured God wasn't going to give me an answer.

Then there was a situation where we were suppose to move at our office, but the owner didn't move. He said it was because things in his new office was not ready yet and things needed to be changed. He would eventually move, but not until all the furniture he wanted arrived (the company sent the wrong set), the lighting was redone (he felt the office was too dark), the room was repainted (there were smudge marks on one of the walls), and some other details.

Out of nowhere I got this thought "just like what you are praying for - it will happen, but all the pieces, you included, are not ready yet"

I don't think that way, which is why I don't think it was me. I'm actually battling depression, and while I am making progress, I still have had some major setbacks, including on the day this happened.

So could this have been an answer to my request to at least know if it would happen?

I want to believe it is, but I also don't want to falsely have hope my prayer will be answered.

Reactions: vinsight4u

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are many books about hearing the Lord's voice. I can't think of one I'd recommend, though :(. God often just speaks one to three words (a word of knowledge, 1 Corinthians 12:8), and what he conveys is never contrary to Scripture. We are not to live by what we hear him say, but rather by what he already said through Scripture. If he speaks to us, it is for our strengthening, encouragement, and comfort (1 Corinthians 14:3). However by itself hearing from him is not enough for us to go down a path (that is not covered by Scripture). We are responsible for our decisions, words, and actions, whether God said something or not (because of 1 Corinthians 14:32).

The Holy Spirit dwells in us. He is our peace. If we have any fear, then we are not yet hearing the Lord's voice clearly. Paul wrote that regarding prophecy we should hold onto the good and avoid the evil. Hearing the Lord's voice is not exactly the same as prophecy, but the reasoning is the same. (God doesn't contradict himself.)

The way you describe words unlike your own thinking coming to you is one of the ways the Lord speaks to a person. It is also one of the ways Satan speaks to a person. There's no way I can tell you if what you heard was from God, but I can say that from what you write, it could have been. Was it a comfort to hear those words?

Do not put out the Spirit’s fire; do not treat prophecies with contempt. Test everything. Hold on to the good. Avoid every kind of evil. (bold mine, 1 Thessalonians 5:19-22, 1984 NIV)

Reactions: ihlf
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟813,235.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:" (John 10:27). Yahweh promises to guide us into all truth (John 16:13) "While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation." (Heb 3:15) "The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord: and he delighteth in his way." Psa 37:23

It's one of the most important things believers can learn to do is hear His voice. It doesn't take the place of Scripture and must be checked against Scripture. "How to Hear the Voice of God in a Noisy World" by Teresa Seputis has several exercises. Plus http://www.charismamag.com/life/women/9637-did-god-really-say-that Some of the same info but has #4 http://www.charismamag.com/site-arc...d-say-that-fine-tune-your-ability-to-hear-god There are other articles by her on the net also.

Last edited:
Reactions: ihlf
Upvote 0

ihlf

May 15, 2015
✟7,635.00
Faith
Christian
Thank you so much for all your feedback. :)

For some of the questions... Greg, it did give me a lot of peace, which is why the experience has stayed with me. I haven't had an experience like that before, or since. It is what I want, which is why I wanted to make sure it was from God, not Satan. Going after this has been a distraction, and has caused me a lot of grief when things aren't going the way towards it. But when this happened, I stopped focusing on doing this for this goal - and instead focusing on another that I am sure God wants me to work on - studying for my certification. There is a need for some of the skills I have in low income communities, but I cannot provide the services until I am licensed. I have been able to put aside this desire in my heart to study for the exams, because whenever I start to wonder, I remember how I felt and believe God is working on that. I almost hate that I am doubting it was from Him because of how much peace I do have about the issue now, and when someone recently told me something opposite of this answer, I told them that God was working on that issue and I just needed to wait, and I have not felt any guilt or that those the words I spoke were anything but the truth since.

vinsight4u, I honestly don't remember if my name was called, but because of my family (I'm a twin and get confused for her all the time), and my name being difficult to say - I answer to a lot of things or pause even when someone starts talking to me in case they are talking to me. I do know the rest of us were moving things, and the moving crew were there, and when this happened, all the other noises were quieter so I heard this thought loud and clear. It was very surreal.

John Davidson, I am reading the Bible every day. There have been many scriptures that have made reference to what I am asking for that it is God's will for our lives. Part of why I asked for an answer was because according to scripture these should be done in my life, but they haven't been and it's been frustrating. I mainly did so because a pastor I listened to said he encourages people to ask God to show His presence - when he was an addict he had asked God if He was real to show him, and when God did, he got clean and studied to be a pastor to bring as many people to Him as he could. If God does answer my prayer I think I would be likely to share my story. Part of reason why I currently don't is because when I start speaking or getting involved, people use the scripture verses that say my status is inferior.

Thank you all for sharing your stories, articles, and experiences! :)

Upvote 0

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hebrews tells us that in times past God spoke through the prophets but in these last days he has spoken through his Son. Jesus is the living Word of God, it is through him that God speaks to us. Stop looking for signs or encoded messages from God. Look to Jesus the author and finisher of our faith. He has spoken, he is the Word of God. Any message you need from God comes through Christ.

Don't look for signs from God. Use common sense and wisdom when making decisions.

Gods has spoken to you through Jesus Christ the Word of life.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jenniferdiana
Upvote 0

ReformedJen

Dec 4, 2015
Pinnacle, NC
Visit site
✟7,715.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hello brothers and sisters in Christ!

I have often believe that when God talks to us, it is with "yes", "no" and "no yet".

There is an issue I have been praying about for many years, and it has not been answered. In desperation, I asked one night in tears if God could let me at least know if it would eventually happen or not.

I got silence for several days. I figured God wasn't going to give me an answer.

Then there was a situation where we were suppose to move at our office, but the owner didn't move. He said it was because things in his new office was not ready yet and things needed to be changed. He would eventually move, but not until all the furniture he wanted arrived (the company sent the wrong set), the lighting was redone (he felt the office was too dark), the room was repainted (there were smudge marks on one of the walls), and some other details.

Out of nowhere I got this thought "just like what you are praying for - it will happen, but all the pieces, you included, are not ready yet"

I don't think that way, which is why I don't think it was me. I'm actually battling depression, and while I am making progress, I still have had some major setbacks, including on the day this happened.

So could this have been an answer to my request to at least know if it would happen?

I want to believe it is, but I also don't want to falsely have hope my prayer will be answered.

From my experience circumstances can speak to you from God, and so can insights and flashes, memory is a big one also. The Holy Spirit brings up things and gets you thinking. I will pray for you. I have battled depression recently and its total warfare even though it does not seem like it. It comes wrapped up on a nice package and is the same defeating emotions over and over again. Sounds like the advice you received seemed accurate enough. If it is repeated, then you have another confirmation. Also, if you have peace about it, that is a huge sign right there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ReformedJen

Dec 4, 2015
Pinnacle, NC
Visit site
✟7,715.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It's actually meaningless.

I could have peace about murdering someone, that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.
I see your point, but sometimes peace is an indicator because of the Holy Spirit's peace but you do have to walk in spirit and be in spirit..

Upvote 0

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I see your point, but sometimes peace is an indicator because of the Holy Spirit's peace but you do have to walk in spirit and be in spirit..

I don't put much stock in feelings. The scriptures say to seek wisdom.

I think using common sense is the best option.

Reactions: huk945
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟813,235.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"..the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23 Meekness, temperance..." Gal 5:22-23 Though I understand what you're saying about feelings, there are some in this lineup.

Don't look for signs and wonders but Yeshua said if you don't believe in me, believe the works - then you'll get the connection "If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not. But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him." John 10:37-38

Upvote 0