How do I get rid of negative core beliefs about my self esteem and worth?

stars1777

Jan 31, 2021
New York
✟26,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Recently, I keep having this belief about myself that I am some unlovable worthless human being that doesn't deserve compassion and grace. I believe that I am some cursed being who Jesus didn't even want to die for or waste his time on. I don't believe that I have worth and I don't believe that Jesus wants a relationship with me at all. I believe that he literally died for everyone else in the world except me. These feelings became extremely intense over the past years but it's getting worse. Any advice?

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Since it relates to your relationship with Jesus, visit a church that is good at dealing with mental illnesses.
(Nothing will improve if you choose to isolate yourself at home.)

Upvote 0

QvQ

Aug 18, 2019
AZ
✟102,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Recently, I keep having this belief about myself that I am some unlovable worthless human being that doesn't deserve compassion and grace. I believe that I am some cursed being who Jesus didn't even want to die for or waste his time on. I don't believe that I have worth and I don't believe that Jesus wants a relationship with me at all. I believe that he literally died for everyone else in the world except me. These feelings became extremely intense over the past years but it's getting worse. Any advice?
I felt that way also. In my heart of hearts, sometimes I still do. How could God love or care about such a worthless critter as me?
The question is, Do you love God? Even if, in your mind you are unworthy, spurned by God, do you still love God?
Apparently you do still believe and yearn for God.
Concentrate on loving God, praising His worth and delighting in the knowledge that God Is.
It is not about "me." It is about God.
I love God. Even when I feel I don't deserve even that privilege. "What did I ever do to deserve loving You?"
I still do love God.

Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Read what scripture says about you - that is, what God says about you.

You are the righteousness of God in Christ.

1 Corinthians 6:11 KJV
11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified,
but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

2 Corinthians 5:21 KJV
21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin;
that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

Romans 3:22 KJV
22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon
all them that believe
: for there is no difference:

Philippians 3:9 KJV
9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law,
but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

You are who and what God says you are. Rest in these facts. When the devil attacks and accuses you, speak these to him. Resist Him with the word of God. You are the righteousness of God in Christ. You will never be more righteous in God's eyes than you are right now. You are safe in Him. Don't go with feelings or logical constructs. Go with what God said. You cannot go wrong.

Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
OP, King David was feeling the same way when he penned Psalm 8.

"What is man that You are mindful of him,
And the son of man that You visit him?
For You have made him a little lower than the angels,
And You have crowned him with glory and honor." Psalms 8:4-5 NKJV
How Majestic is Thy Name, Keith Green (1982)

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,888.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Very simple. You're exalting your natural man and thoughts ABOVE what God says. God says he so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son....that whosoever......What so you're not a whosoever? What gives you the right to claim you're such an unique case above all others and that the blood of Jesus can't blot out an remit your sins? Perhaps we should be asking for your autograph then.....you achieved something nobody else has that God doesn't love you! Of course you're wrong. God does love you and his love isn't even based on how good you are. He receives more pleasure from those who serve him and honor him but that has nothing to do with love.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You are experiencing guilt ... the guilt you stated is not from God ... but from satan .... God don't want us to carry around this kind of guilt ... satan on the other hand piles it on and puts it in the tense of ... being worthless etc.

Isaiah 43:25​

“I, I am he who blots out your transgressions for my own sake, and I will not remember your sins.

When we go to the Lord for forgiveness ... He forgives quickly and does not bring it to His mind anymore .... nor should we .... we should accept His forgiveness and begin a new.

The Lord will bring to our mind areas in our life where we need our thinking changed and He will help us change our thinking. It is the small still voice inside leading us to change .... not condemnation.

He is very clear He does not want anyone to parish ... but come to repentance (change)

He did indeed die for each and every one of us.

John 3:16​

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

He died for us even though we sin/sinned.

Romans 5:8​

But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

When we recognize our depravity ... we realize how sinful we are (pretty sobering) ... but by the grace of God ... we go to Him and He forgives us ... how many times?

Jesus says we should forgive someone seventy times seven in response to a question from Peter about how many times to forgive a brother who sins against him. Peter asks if forgiving seven times is appropriate, and Jesus responds “not seven times, but seventy times seven” (Matthew 18:22).

Change your focus and put it on the Love of God ... He does not want you to carry around guilt.

Isaiah 6:7​

And he touched my mouth and said: “Behold, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away, and your sin atoned for.”

Psalm 103:12​

As far as the east is from the west, so far does he remove our transgressions from us.

Every day is a new day with the Lord.

Draw near to Him with confidence.

Hebrews 4:16​

Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

May the Lord bring peace of mind to you. In the name of Jesus .... Amen.

Guilt destroys .... God heals by forgiveness .... accept His forgiveness and move forward ... not looking back.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God can speak for Himself. It doesn't matter how many times Satan brings something to your mind > don't trust it!

Jesus died for all of us.

But we need how God changes us to become gentle and humble, so we can benefit from how God does love us.

A child can be so dearly loved by Daddy, but if the child sneaks away into a swamp behind the house - - how is that going to work . . . in isolation away from family?

There are people who do not want to learn to share and forgive. In order to enjoy sharing as God's family, we need to deny self and take up our cross of loving like Jesus.

"If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me." (in Luke 9:23)

"And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma." (Ephesians 5:2)

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟290,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I believe that he literally died for everyone else in the world except me.

From one self-obsessed person to another, I doubt you are more exceptional than me. ;)

(I doubt either of us are particularly exceptional out of the 7.8 billion currently on the planet, to say nothing of the ones that came before, if we took the time to get to know any of them, the way that He knows all of them)

You are as worthy of love and redemption as anyone who ever was or will be.

Ain't that a scary thought?

But, it is precisely the love and redemption that makes us better over time.
Let Grace abound where it is needed.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,373.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is a way God provides a solution:
"Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;" (II Cor 10:5)

Means when we have a thought that is not in line with Scripture, we are to turn our focus on what God says. Pick one verse or several. Repeat the process as needed. Focusing on Him and His Word.

Last edited:
Reactions: Petros2015
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,373.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God determined the time and place of our births:
-“And he made from one man every race of men to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted epochs and the fixed boundaries of the places where they would live;” (Acts 17:26)

He formed us:
-“Have we not all one father? hath not one God created us? why do we deal treacherously every man against his brother, by profaning the covenant of our fathers?” Mal 2;10
-“For You formed my innermost parts; You knit me [together] in my mother’s womb” Psa 139:13
-"I will put ligaments on you, place muscles on you, and cover you with skin. I will put breath in you, and you will live. Then you will know that I am Yahweh." Eze 37:6

He gives us life each day - really every minute -
-“This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.” (Psa 118:24)
-“The spirit of God hath made me, and the breath of the Almighty hath given me life.” Job 33:4

Reactions: Petros2015
Upvote 0